Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky Q

Options
  • 18-11-2015 10:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Anyone else watching Sky's livestream found here?

So far all they've announced is something called Sky Q with "Fluid Viewing", most likely a 4K box with several tuners.

**Didn't know where else to put this, not even sure if it uses Satellite anymore.**
    Sky wrote:
    Sky Q will be available for customers in the UK and Ireland early in 2016. We’ll announce the exact date and details of pricing nearer the time

Looks like we're included in this, wahoo!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Quite a nice looking box they've announced, 2TB too!

ggaU2YM.jpg

It allows you to pause a programme in one room and pick up in another, and they've a box which turns the SkyQ boxes into a wifi hotspot but no word on if it only works with Sky Broadband or not just yet.

There's going to be a Vevo app and also YouTube and you can also stream Spotify or other music via bluetooth/airplay.

4K/UHD content from next year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Did they say anything how it would get from dish to sky box? The 4 recording channels was that via broadband or all via dish?

New remote looks good. I wonder will it be rechargeable or battery powered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

CUFkATwWwAAFTIc.jpg

afatbollix wrote: »
    Did they say anything how it would get from dish to sky box? The 4 recording channels was that via broadband or all via dish?

New remote looks good. I wonder will it be rechargeable or battery powered?

Seems to be a mix given it still has tuners.

Regular tele via satellite OnDemand stuff/YouTube will use broadband perhaps?

• Advertisement

Ye have to admit, Sky know how to make some pretty equipment!

R2HK6NI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Looks like this will have 2 x standard F connectors as the sat inputs. How can this record 4 channels?

...serious piece of kit. On the face of it, blows everything else out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Similar to VM/UPC Horizon but done properly. Happy I made the switch and look forward to getting this!

JDxtra wrote: »
    Looks like this will have 2 x standard F connectors as the sat inputs. How can this record 4 channels?

2 SD channels recorded via Satellite and 2 HD/UHD via internet?

So like an IPTV/Satellite hybrid? I'm purely speculating here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/television/news/a774430/sky-q-unveiled-as-new-high-end-pay-tv-service-to-rival-netflix-in-and-out-of-the-home/

This will solve clash recording problems for many people.
    UHD content will interest many but not me so far

humax freesat freetime is a better receiver than the the sky Q box
    Showcase on Freesat recommends the next 7 days on Freesat.
    Sky's version of Showcase is all over the place.
    In December 2015, Netflix app could be available on Humax Freesat Freetime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I am wondering what the cost is going to be? and would exciting sky customers upgrade? or would it pull people back?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

This is an interesting one. Forget the pretty face/nice interface, people will be asked to pay extra, so what's the killer app that will persuade people to part with cash? So far I see the extra tuners (which I admit I could use, but I'm not sure I want to pay extra for) and 4K UHD (which I don't own a compatible TV for, won't be shelling out the serious cash to buy one any time soon, and even I did there is just one UK part time UHD channel that isn't even offered on Sky). So what's the selling point, Sky?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

the "fluid viewing" is the killer app, seamlessly watch your content around the house and on the go

icdg wrote: »
    This is an interesting one. Forget the pretty face/nice interface, people will be asked to pay extra, so what's the killer app that will persuade people to part with cash? So far I see the extra tuners (which I admit I could use, but I'm not sure I want to pay extra for) and 4K UHD (which I don't own a compatible TV for, won't be shelling out the serious cash to buy one any time soon, and even I did there is just one UK part time UHD channel that isn't even offered on Sky). So what's the selling point, Sky?

They're playing catch up in a lot of regards to UPC it seems but Sky are masters in marketing so no doubt this'll sell well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    In post #5 flyer for the box - "2160p to be added in a future update"

So if there was a 4K channel it wouldn't, at present, be actually outputting a UHD signal to your TV....

Ohh I'll take two....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

Looks very interest! Price will be a big factor...the ability to record 4 things at once is nice. Good to see the video output at 1080p and not just the 1080i the current sky boxes are capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    In post #5 flyer for the box - "2160p to be added in a future update"

So if there was a 4K channel it wouldn't, at present, be actually outputting a UHD signal to your TV....

Ohh I'll take two....!

:rolleyes: They're hardly gonna launch a UHD channel without the box being enabled to handle it....

:rolleyes: They're hardly gonna launch a UHD channel without the box being enabled to handle it....

Well so far they launched a box that can do 1080p....on 1080i channels...

MBSnr wrote: »
    Well so far they launched a box that can do 1080p....on 1080i channels...

But not 1080p channels on a 1080i box which is the same as what you're suggesting they'll do here with UHD.

Back on topic, will be interesting to see the price. Predicting 199 for the box for existing customers and a new 12 month contract, with the multiroom boxes going for 99 and an extra sub per month. Handy that the multiroom boxes also act as Wifi hotspots. Wonder will the multiroom ones also support 4k?

• Advertisement

^^^

I was laughing at their web page that says the box comes 4K ready*
    http://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/sky-q/overview?DCMP=KNC-ROISearch

*to be added in a future update

if that flyer is recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Niemoj wrote: »
    2 SD channels recorded via Satellite and 2 HD/UHD via internet?

So like an IPTV/Satellite hybrid? I'm purely speculating here.

They'll be using Homeplugs to fire the BB around the gaff. Of course they have dressed that up in marketing blurb and called it powerline technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭dubred

As an existing customer, one barrier to upgrading will be the content that is already recorded on my current Sky box(es), it will never be empty.

A content migration facility would be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

with the multiroom boxes going for 99 and an extra sub per month. Handy that the multiroom boxes also act as Wifi hotspots. Wonder will the multiroom ones also support 4k?

The extra sub would make no sense if you were just using it to stream from your base box, I wouldn't shell out for it.

And it reads to me that the mini box only acts as a WiFi hotspot with Skys broadband hub.

The icons are very Apple-esque.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Wonder how the multi room will work in reality- is it streaming live tv from the main box and will there be a delay/is it dependant on your infrastructure/solid walls other wifi in your house and quality of your wiring for the powerline adaptors to work?

Even after launch, i'll definitely be in the "wait and see" bucket. This is one of these things where early adopters could be in for a bumpy ride.

My contract with Sky is up in April next year so I'll wait and see what the craic is around then.

dubred wrote: »
    As an existing customer, one barrier to upgrading will be the content that is already recorded on my current Sky box(es), it will never be empty. A content migration facility would be useful.

I can imagine that would be very difficult to implement and support. It means having two boxes on your network at the same time. If the source box is pretty full, it could take hours/days for content to move. An install engineer is not going to wait around. Far easier for Sky to say, sorry - we can't support that.

Personally, I've always regarded recordings as somewhat disposable. Largely items are watched and deleted. For some items, recordings are kept (like kids shows or movies) - but as the hard drive could fail at any stage so they are not really for permanent storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Looking at pic of the specs it doesn't have a gigabit ethernet connection only 10/100:confused: if they are looking at doing 4k I would have thought this would be a min spec if you want to stream 4k (not necessary but helpful)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Ah here!... the USB connections are 2.0 as well, its this penny pinching that would drive you crazy

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Advertisement