Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,218 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Do you get the full 7 day epg for all channels ok?

Currently running MediaPortal and have been thinking for a while to get a box like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Barr wrote: »
    I asked first day for a hybrid so hopefully will be ok on that front. Although when I tried putting the cable into the satellite connection of the tv today, it didn't pick up any of the FTA channels :o

You will know whether they installed a Hybrid or wideband only by looking at the LNB on your dish. The casing on the hybrid is longer. Doesnt matter what port they are connected to for freesat (on the hybrid - the non hybrid wont work at all as mentioned by THHB).

466367.jpg
    fritzelly wrote: »
    Do you get the full 7 day epg for all channels ok?

Currently running MediaPortal and have been thinking for a while to get a box like this.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Barr

Thanks STB , that is a great help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Reesy wrote: »
    Thanks @NewClareman for this - looks really good.

Can I ask some questions please?

1. I note your comment re wifi. Are you using one of the USB wifi yokes that World of Satellite offers as an optional extra? (I guess if you are, a pair of powerline plugs would be the answer).
    2. Can I use this box to view Netflix?
    3. That looks like a 7 day satellite EPG. Is it?
    4. I can customise the bouquets / favourites, can't I?
    5. Would you recommend this box as a replacement as for our Ariva 150? I'd need to get a new LNB & cable to avail of the second satellite tuner.

Cheers, Simon

So that's the 7 day EPG sorted. Would appreciate any feedback on my other questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Netflix not possible

• Advertisement

Reesy wrote: »
    So that's the 7 day EPG sorted. Would appreciate any feedback on my other questions...

1. antenna RT5370 will work on any e2 box (the ones with the aerial). Ebay less than a fiver. Box will pick it immediately. https://www.dx.com/p/ralink-rt5370-usb-20-150mbps-wifi-wireless-network-card-80211-b-g-n-lan-adapter-with-rotatable-antenna-black-574871?tc=EUR

2. No. No Netflix software exists for any e2 box.
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Yes. E2 boxes are slightly more complicated to configure than off the shelf boxes like the Ariva's, but if you use the images that THHB or New Clareman are sharing, a lot of the work is already done. As you get used to it, you will probably end up changing the GUI look (Skins) ETC. There are so many customisations possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NewClareman

STB. wrote: »
    1. antenna RT5370 will work on any e2 box (the ones with the aerial). Ebay less than a fiver. Box will pick it immediately. https://www.dx.com/p/ralink-rt5370-usb-20-150mbps-wifi-wireless-network-card-80211-b-g-n-lan-adapter-with-rotatable-antenna-black-574871?tc=EUR
    @STB How stable is the connection with the RT5370? (If it is solid it would save me a messy cabling job, due for this week.)

I use the dongle from WoS (300Mb/s), it is recognized fine, but the connection hangs if I stream anything but radio. It works fine with downloads, e.g. from the RTE Player, for some reason. The WiFi worked fine with Sky HD and I still use it to stream Netflix from an iPad to Chromecast.

@STB How stable is the connection with the RT5370? (If it is solid it would save me a messy cabling job, due for this week.)

I use the dongle from WoS (300Mb/s), it is recognized fine, but the connection hangs if I stream anything but radio. It works fine with downloads, e.g. from the RTE Player, for some reason. The WiFi worked fine with Sky HD and I still use it to stream Netflix from an iPad to Chromecast.

I have one on a Gigablue. They are pretty standard and work fine. The one I linked is 150 megs not 300 buts its fine for streaming. I can only assume your issue is distance from the router. Dont know the World of Sat one. Does it have an aerial on it as well ?

Thanks STB, very helpful.

Funny that it won't support Netflix, isn't it? If it did I could get rid of my WDTV Live box and simplify my setup. Oh well.

STB. wrote: »
    I have one on a Gigablue. They are pretty standard and work fine. The one I linked is 150 megs not 300 buts its fine for streaming. I can only assume your issue is distance from the router. Dont know the World of Sat one. Does it have an aerial on it as well ?

It doesn’t have an aerial, but the signal strength is good. There’s a number of threads on other forums about this issue.

Anyway, I’ll order the one you suggested, but press on with retiring the mains socket, to support homeplugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,274 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Most professional installers fit basic satellite boxes, which will not give you this type of functionality. However, the Tiviar Alphaplus can be bought direct from World of Satellite, for approx €210 with a hard drive fitted, see earlier post. Any one with a (very) small amount of technical knowledge can then flash the image on the first post on this thread - that will give you all the functionality shown. All you need then is an installer to fit a Satellite Dish, if you don’t have one already.

However, there are expert contributors on this forum, who may be able to assist. :)

Thanks, and thanks to Gerry for the tip by PM. Any other suggestions would be more than welcome. If I'm going down this road, I need a turnkey solution, someone to do the whole thing end to end, making sure it works and stays working.

It doesn’t have an aerial, but the signal strength is good. There’s a number of threads on other forums about this issue.

Anyway, I’ll order the one you suggested, but press on with retiring the mains socket, to support homeplugs.

I had a few cheap as chips ones that I tested on other boxes. They didn't have an aerial and heated up considerably. They eventually burnt themselves out! Nowhere for the heat to dissipate I guess, so at a guess the ones with the aerials transfer some of the heat off the tiny board.

FYI, that Tiviar box is discounted (£99 in place of £129) at the moment at World of Satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭trabpc

When flashing the unit does the files need to be root of USB or within the folder. Unit hasn't been able to flash so far I've tried two keys formatted to fat32

trabpc wrote: »
    When flashing the unit does the files need to be root of USB or within the folder. Unit hasn't been able to flash so far I've tried two keys formatted to fat32

The files need to be within the folder see this post.

Make sure you have noting else plugged in to a USB port on the box and that you are pressing the power button, when requested.

I've uploaded a new image with a few changes:

1. I've disabled more settings and most of the remainder are locked using a pin (0000).

2. I've cleaned up the Bouquet's, and included a Radio Bouquet, in the main Bouquet Menu. You can now keep an eye on a TV Channel (PIP), while listening to radio. The Zap history now covers both TV and radio.

466651.png

3. I've included Media Portal, though I've stopped using it, as it can cause a crash if Internet connectivity is lost. (Accessed by long press of the audio button - the button on the bottom LHS of the remote.)

(A few of the radio stations are missing icons. If anyone has a fix for this, 'twould be great. :)

4. Recent channel changes (Film4 +1, E4 +1, More4, More4+1) have been addressed.

5. I've deleted all my timers and made some small configuration tweaks, under the hood.

Once the image has been flashed, and the Picons added, all that remains is to add the Irish Channels. Where there is an existing aerial, this is very straightforward. Plug the aerial into the rear of the box and do the following:

Select: Menu => Setup (Pin Code = 0000) => Service Searching => Terrestrial Scan. Configure the settings as shown and hit the Green Button.
    (If you want an additional Bouquet, with all Irish TV and Radio Stations, say yes to "Create Terrestrial Bouquet")

466726.jpg

Hit the Green Button and wait for the scan to complete, it will take a few minutes.
    When it is complete you will get a blue screen, showing the channels found. Press the Green (ok) button, and you are almost finished.

Tidy Up

Press the down button (below the OK button).
    You will now have an additional “Last Scanned” Bouquet, which you might want to remove. (You will also have a “Terrestrial” Bouquet, if you selected the option to create one.)
    Highlight “Last Scanned”, as shown.

466727.jpg

Hit Menu and enter code (0000)
    Hit button 8, to remove the "Last Scanned" Bouquet, you selected in the previous step.
    Answer yes to "Are you sure you want to remove this entry?

There you go, all done.

Occasionally, new satellite channels are launched, or existing channels move. This can be handled with a few steps.

First you need to find the settings for the changes. These can typically be found:
    Select: Menu => Setup (Pin Code = 0000) => Service Searching => Manual Scan.

Select the settings below, entering the details of the missing channels in the section highlighted.

466729.jpg

Press Green Button (Scan) and a list of channels found, will be shown.

466730.jpg

Press Green Button (OK)

Press the down button (below the OK button) - you will now have an additional “Last Scanned” Bouquet.
    Select the “Last Scanned” Bouquet => Hit Enter.
    Select the new, or missing channel, from the list.

Hit button 5, to add the channel you have highlighted to your chosen Bouquet.
    Select your chosen Bouquet from the list, and press enter.
    Repeat for other channels, if necessary.

Once you have added the channels to the chosen Bouquet you may want to delete the original, non-working, version.

Press the down button (below the OK button)
    Select the Bouquet you added the channel to => Hit Enter.

Select the channel to be deleted, from the list.
    Select 8 - remove entry.
    Answer yes, when prompted.

Once you have deleted any non-working channels, you may want to move the new channel to the position of the original, non-working, version.
    Select the new, or missing channel, from the list.
    Select 6- enable move mode.
    Use the Up/Down keys to move the entry.
    Press OK => exit, when done.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I just flashed the box with file from 22nd of November. My only issue is the hard drive I installed is accessible, I cannot find anything within menu's to setup drive...format etc.

I can see the following in OPenWEbif
    -1 MB free / 931.5 GB ("1 TB") total ()

It looks like it only sees 1mb

Any help much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Mylow wrote: »
    I just flashed the box with file from 22nd of November. My only issue is the hard drive I installed is accessible, I cannot find anything within menu's to setup drive...format etc.

I can see the following in OPenWEbif
    -1 MB free / 931.5 GB ("1 TB") total ()

It looks like it only sees 1mb

Any help much appreciated.

try SETUP>SYSTEM>STORAGE DEVICES
    The INITIALISATION setting will format the drive to the linux EXT4 system. Be aware it will erase everything already on the disk.

• Advertisement

try SETUP>SYSTEM>STORAGE DEVICES
    The INITIALISATION setting will format the drive to the linux EXT4 system. Be aware it will erase everything already on the disk.

No option for Storage Devices :(

Found it ...thanks

The problem now is the drive is called "sda1" as opposed to "hdd" it looks like I can rename it using e2label command, however I cannot login to the box via terminal...I tried, "login: root password:(left blank)" that's what I found on google machine. It didn't work for me.

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

The problem now is the drive is called "sda1" as opposed to "hdd" it looks like I can rename it using e2label command, however I cannot login to the box via terminal...I tried, "login: root password:(left blank)" that's what I found on google machine. It didn't work for me.

TIA

Is the drive mounted? Go to storage settings and check and mount it in storage mount settings. First you create a partition sda1, then it needs to be mounted somewhere in the OS. It gets mounted in /media/hdd. I'm sorry I'm not in front of the box to guide you visually.

This is from page 1
    Password
    The password on the box, inherited from the THHB image, is username: root, password: tempass. You can change it using the command “passwd root” using the terminal (under extras) in the Open Web I/F. You will be prompted for a new password.

Is the drive mounted? Go to storage settings and check and mount it in storage mount settings. First you create a partition sda1, then it needs to be mounted somewhere in the OS. It gets mounted in media/hdd. I'm sorry I'm not in front of the box to guide you visually.

This is from page 1
    Missed that on page 1, thanks. All sorted now

Thanks New ClareMan, Gerry Wicklow and The High Horse Brigade for all the help in setting up the box.

A happy mother, loves all the additional features over the Triax box she had before. Going to be a bit of a learning curve for her, she is nearly 80. She really liked the timeshift function and record function.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks New ClareMan, Gerry Wicklow and The High Horse Brigade for all the help in setting up the box.

A happy mother, loves all the additional features over the Triax box she had before. Going to be a bit of a learning curve for her, she is nearly 80. She really liked the timeshift function and record function.

I hope I am not over-stepping ......

I am delighted to read that your mother likes the box/setup in preference to the Triax.
    It really puts the lie in what I regularly read on technical fora that these things are not suitable for 'the elderly' (no insult intended to your mother).

I hope I will not only see that age but also be capable of handling changes and new devices when the time comes.

Great result :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Would a standard indoor aerial be ok for the Saorview channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

That's really dependent on where you live..

As Tipsy McS said, it depends on the signal strength in your location. It’s simple to check, though. The Tiviar, and many TV’s, allow you to check signal strength, without any expensive test gear. You could hook up an aerial and see what the signal strength strength and quality is like. If it’s poor, even if the TV picture looks ok, go for a better setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Milsey

Hi thanks for the image. I've been running it since yesterday and it's a keeper. Two questions. In the movie browser there is thousands of movies listed with no link. I presume it's your movie library that I don't have. How do I delete it. I cannot find how.
    Also when I power off and on again the channel goes back to channel one. I cannot find where to change that it starts with the last channel watched. I just can't come across the setting.
    Thanks in advance.
    Oh and I had to delete a load of timers that had been set. No biggie. Loving the e2i player.

Advertisement