Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The ceremony is practically a mass.

The pedestal this so-called republic puts religion on is a disgrace.

I’m at home sick and I spent most of the day watching the armistice commemoration as broadcast by the BBC. It was wall to wall prayers of all the Christian denominations and Bible readings mixed with extracts from famous WW1 poems and bits of essays by Churchill etc. Oh and tons of hymns.
    The Catholic Archbishop of All Ireland gave the homily in St Ann’s Church in Belfast. The main ceremony of the day was in Westminster Abbey.
    Vicars and priests and deacons all over the place shaking hands all day with the top rank of the British royal family.
    I must have shouted Amen at the Telly 20 times.
    Now you tell me they were praying away at Miggledys second inauguration.
    Your blood must be boiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watching Rte news tonight you'd think MDH was going to solve the homeless crisis, the health crisis, global warming etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Full text of his speech on here:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/president-higgins-inauguration-speech-in-full-4334484-Nov2018/

It's a key function now, as per scoped by Mary Robinson for the President to explore a vision for a better Ireland. Good for all of us incl politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

NIMAN wrote: »
    Watching Rte news tonight you'd think MDH was going to solve the homeless crisis, the health crisis, global warming etc.

He's raising awareness. Wasn't too many weeks ago he was being accused of not adding anything to the social discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

He's raising awareness.

Why?, We're not aware that there is a housing/health care crisis?
    All we will get from this guy for the next 7 years is waffle dressed up in poetry and prose and an expensive dose of it to boot!

• Advertisement

Why?, We're not aware that there is a housing/health care crisis?
    All we will get from this guy for the next 7 years is waffle dressed up in poetry and prose and an expensive dose of it to boot!

It's getting worse so it seems some need reminding.
    And if he said nothing you'd be moaning about that?
    Look on the bright side, prose and seeking action on the betterment of society beats racism and/or businessmen using the office for PR, IMO.
    He's your President for the next seven years :)

It's getting worse so it seems some need reminding.
    And if he said nothing you'd be moaning about that?
    Look on the bright side, prose and seeking action on the betterment of society beats racism and/or businessmen using the office for PR, IMO.
    He's your President for the next seven years :)

Casey did more to raise awareness about racism and inequality than Higgins ever did and still the ones who are OUTRAGED at Caseys remarks would not touch a traveller with a bargepole not to mention give one a job or allow them date a member of their family or even serve them a drink. Hypocrytes the lot of them!

Casey did more to raise awareness about racism and inequality than Higgins ever did and still the ones who are OUTRAGED at Caseys remarks would not touch a traveller with a bargepole not to mention give one a job or allow them date a member of their family or even serve them a drink. Hypocrytes the lot of them!

Awareness? Yes actually. It's important a spotlight is shone on the racist elements within society. Casey did help with that however he gave ignorant people a vehicle and all to get votes. He's no humanitarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m at home sick and I spent most of the day watching the armistice commemoration as broadcast by the BBC. It was wall to wall prayers of all the Christian denominations and Bible readings mixed with extracts from famous WW1 poems and bits of essays by Churchill etc. Oh and tons of hymns.

The UK is not a republic and has an established church.

We just act like we have an established church...

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

The UK is not a republic and has an established church.

Technically just England. No established church in Nrn Irn or in Scotland. (Not sure about Wales, and too lazy to google.) Though obviously the requirement that the head of state be of that religion affects the whole UK -- and indeed 15 other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

If you look at the BBC, it is obviously policy - they simply don't let people on without a poppy in early November.

I doubt that's exactly the policy.

It's obviously to at least "offer" unpoppied persons one while they're in makeup. It might well be the practice to read them a small lecture about the rant there will be about it in the Daily Mail if they don't...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Technically just England. No established church in Nrn Irn or in Scotland. (Not sure about Wales, and too lazy to google.) Though obviously the requirement that the head of state be of that religion affects the whole UK -- and indeed 15 other countries.

Wales also disestablished

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Patser

Did Michael D ever release his expenses accounts? There was a lot of chatter at the time that he couldn't just yet, but would be releasing them in November and I remember it being suspicious that a live issue like that was being fobbed off til after the election.

Is it that now the election is over no-one cares, and anyway there was nothing to see and their release wasn't commented on? Or that no-one is asking so Michael D is happy to keep quiet and not release them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Patser wrote: »
    Did Michael D ever release his expenses accounts? There was a lot of chatter at the time that he couldn't just yet, but would be releasing them in November and I remember it being suspicious that a live issue like that was being fobbed off til after the election.

Is it that now the election is over no-one cares, and anyway there was nothing to see and their release wasn't commented on? Or that no-one is asking so Michael D is happy to keep quiet and not release them?

It was clear no one cared anyway because he was comfortably re-elected and it was a non issue which opposition had to run with because they had nothing else. It was historical payments that have continued through various Presidential offices.

I have no doubt the figures will be released but I don't remember it being specifically said November?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

AGC wrote: »
    It was clear no one cared anyway because he was comfortably re-elected and it was a non issue which opposition had to run with because they had nothing else. It was historical payments that have continued through various Presidential offices.

I have no doubt the figures will be released but I don't remember it being specifically said November?

I think they said they hoped to publish in November in response to a media enquiry. Can't remember exactly who.

I know they said they would start with annual reports.

A lot of figures are already available and I think it was fairly clear the President, throughout the campaign is open to transparency.

He made a big effort to not engage with any debate in relation to expenses because it is in general, a very small issue.

and I think it was fairly clear the President, throughout the campaign is open to transparency.

Well ain't that very nice of him! This guy said he would stand for one term only- he did not keep his word. This guy said he would account for his expenses immediately after the election-he has not done so. Look back on his political career, has he ever delivered on a promise?
    He is the nearest thing to the emperors new clothes that I have ever come across!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Has anyone got any actual facts about this instead of wild claims?

All I can find is that he planned to start releasing annual reports. Nothing about anything in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,308 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is it even up to Higgins to release this stuff? Surely that is the responsibility of the relevant department to keep and release these figures?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

seamus wrote: »

All I can find is that he planned to start releasing annual reports. Nothing about anything in November.
    It is factual that the total exemption of transparency is one hell of a outlier in Gov spending. Given that there is no national security concerns there is no real need for privacy.

• Advertisement

I'm almost certain November was mentioned in one of the debates, but not 100%. Did a little bit of Google searching and could only find a few references to the expenses being released after the elections (like in link posted below, ⅔rds way through).

Not sure I agree with posters above here that say this is a non-issue. Just because Michael D trounced 5 non entity candidates and 1 spoofer that accidentally hit on an issue, doesn't mean he shouldn't still have to account for his expenses. In the debates he did look a bit uncomfortable about the expenses when pushed, and some of the biggest blows he took in them were about Govt jet use, amount of people that travelled on Presidential trips, etc. A lot of these were just insinuations or accusations

These expenses could highlight exactly what was spent on what and who, bring clarity to the accusations and maybe highlight if there were issues

Link mentioned above:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/1023/1006181-prime-time-debate/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I definitely remember reading about this.

Here's One quote
    Earlier this week Mr Higgins said he would not give full details of the allowance until after the election. On Tuesday, Mr Higgins said a “full return on every euro” spent of the €317,000 allowance would be given in November

And referenced here too
    “We have asked for the audited accounts and spending to be produced and we are fobbed off and told figures will be produced in November after the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thanks, though the IT does say that afterwards,
    However, he opted on Thursday to give more information now, saying that €280,000 a year had been spent on hospitality for guests to the Áras, including monthly tea parties for senior citizens and a cultural gathering.
    So I don't know if that means he changed his mind about November, and chose to provide more information earlier on.

Any road, has anyone actually asked for this information? Or are we just assuming that because it hasn't appeared in the media that it hasn't happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm actually embarrassed that out President would have to fly commercial.

I don't actually mind if Govt jet was used, that's what it's there for (and occasionally for medical transfers), so fair enough.

But it was things like bringing a florist with him to Australia as part of party that got a bit under my skin. That was fobbed off with 'will be in expenses' type stuff.

He flew to Kerry and Belfast. Why not just take his state car for such minor trips?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

An_Toirpin wrote: »
    He flew to Kerry and Belfast. Why not just take his state car for such minor trips?

Because Kerry is a 4 hour drive and the Belfast thing was explained and... he's the President of this country.

I have zero issue if the President wants to fly to Belfast instead of drive.

An_Toirpin wrote: »

Although flying is over kill, It's hardly bodies buried in his back garden. We had Mary Harney use the government jet to open a friends off-licence and the PD's were supposed to be fiscally prudent. Not engaging in 'whatabout' simply pointing out that Higgins was on official state business, not meeting private concerns inappropriately.

The report is about to be published, turns out he followed up on what he said.

• Advertisement

The report is about to be published, turns out he followed up on what he said.

Precisely when it has no ability to hurt him any more. The idea that the presidency is above politics is farcical.

Advertisement