Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK Catch Up Apps on Smart TV's

• 16-11-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭

First off... I have no interest in VPN's etc.

I currently have an old Irish Sky+ HD box. When I stopped paying Sky I took my card out and thought it would change the EPG to make Ch 101 BBC etc, but they no longer do that.

I got my cousins old sky card from London. That did the trick. But the bonus was that it also allows us to use the pause/record functions... and the double bonus was that the UK catch Up Apps such as iPlayer, ITV Player, Channel 5 player etc are all on the Sky Box and all work.

Again, I do not have any VPN's etc, nor do I want one.

I am considering upgrading my TV to a smart TV to ditch my sky box. I would want a built in Sat Tuner and my understanding is that I would need to set it up as a UK tv and I should be able to pick up all the stations I currently do.

But can I load the Apps? Do they work based on how the TV is set up (which I presume is how my sky box is picking them up) or do they use the IP of our broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Most satellite enabled TVs will have Freesat, and you should be able to add the Irish terrestrial channels through an aerial although you'll have to sort these yourself.

Regarding your question, most of the smart TVs when selected to UK region will have the apps already. The only problem is when you want to watch the content outside of the UK. BBC doesn't work for me, but channel 4 content is ok (mostly). It can be hit and miss.

I'd question how you're managing to get use of BBC iPlayer when outside the UK as most of their content, if not all, is Geo-locked.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

astrofluff wrote: »
    Most satellite enabled TVs will have Freesat, and you should be able to add the Irish terrestrial channels through an aerial although you'll have to sort these yourself.

Regarding your question, most of the smart TVs when selected to UK region will have the apps already. The only problem is when you want to watch the content outside of the UK. BBC doesn't work for me, but channel 4 content is ok (mostly). It can be hit and miss.

I'd question how you're managing to get use of BBC iPlayer when outside the UK as most of their content, if not all, is Geo-locked.

its an irish sky box, old inactive uk card
    as I say, no vpn or any of that, I've no interest.
    I just plugged it in and hey presto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

astrofluff wrote: »

It may not be Geo blocked on a sky box, sounds like the app may be tied to the region of the viewing card.

@op, most apps are Geo blocked. You'll need to use a smart DNS service or VPN to bypass, we are not allowed discuss

Advertisement