Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Feather Controversy (Split from Game News and Releases thread)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Whenever these stories come up the rejection of it is always 'does this mean we can't wear/have this random object so' etc, completely missing the purpose and intended oppression that the 'object' was used for in the first place. Not all of these things are 'equal'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Corholio wrote: »
    Whenever these stories come up the rejection of it is always 'does this mean we can't wear/have this random object so' etc, completely missing the purpose and intended oppression that the 'object' was used for in the first place. Not all of these things are 'equal'.

"So, does this mean because vegans I can't wear a leather thong anymore???, It's political correctness gone mad!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    "So, does this mean because vegans I can't wear a leather thong anymore???, It's political correctness gone mad!"

Ah now you've put a weird question into my head about vegans that I'm eventually going to ask a vegan in an inappropriate setting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Banjo wrote: »
    Ah now you've put a weird question into my head about vegans that I'm eventually going to ask a vegan in an inappropriate setting.

My work here.... is done...

Hey, maybe they can help you with Dark Souls as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Dark Souls helps those who help themselves. So I did. I helped myself to a copy of Diablo III and haven't looked back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,948 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'm not getting this. How is the feather a stereotype? It's a fact, they wore them? What does them being a minority group have to do with anything or that they were oppressed?

Game and Watch is a silhouette, I didn't even know this was an animation in SSBU. My point is this is people stirring the pot. Look at another fighter, Street Fighter to be exact and look at Thunder Hawk, did anyone create a stink about him? He wears a feather, 2 in fact. And he wears war paint, how very stereotypical of Capcom. Get the pitchforks and torches.
    ?format=1000w

Is this not worse, if people are being all politically correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's not just the feather. He's an indian wearing a loincloth, feather and carrying a torch to burn down the fort. This is the 'savage' stereotype for Indians. There's lots of different types of Native Americans, this was the one stereotypical image they used to portray a bad guy in the game.

It doesn't mean it's the only thing in the world that's important, it's just a small thing in a game that has an outdated reference that was changed. T. Hawk has been mentioned loads of times before as being pretty stereotypical, even more so than this case. He always makes those 'Most Stereotypical Characters in Gaming' lists.

sligeach wrote: »
    I'm not getting this. How is the feather a stereotype? It's a fact, they wore them? What does them being a minority group have to do with anything or that they were oppressed?

Game and Watch is a silhouette, I didn't even know this was an animation in SSBU. My point is this is people stirring the pot. Look at another fighter, Street Fighter to be exact and look at Thunder Hawk, did anyone create a stink about him? He wears a feather, 2 in fact. And he wears war paint, how very stereotypical of Capcom. Get the pitchforks and torches.
    ?format=1000w

Is this not worse, if people are being all politically correct?

Well, seeing as you brought it up.
    Googling "ThunderStreet fighter, stereotype" brings plenty of articles on the matter

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/05/the-15-most-stereotypical-characters-in-video-games/dalsim-street-fighter

Which would suggest that, just because a person isn't aware a thing is questionable, doesn't make it not questionable. A point which I pretty much made some posts ago.

Advertisement