Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Heavy Rail Census 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Two points which stand out for me, one good and one bad.
    3,161passengers boarded services using the Phoenix Park Tunnel on Census day, up 47% in the year
    Tipperary was the least used station on the network with only 3 boardings during the entire day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

"Daily throughput at Sallins & Naas, Hazelhatch & Celbridge, Adamstown, Clondalkin Fonthill and Parkwest & Cherry Orchard increased by 47%, 77%, 119%, 179% and 75% respectively since before the introduction of rail services through the Phoenix Park Tunnel in November 2016."

Very encouraging news especially at clondalkin/fonthill. Just goes to show that when a service actually brings people to where they need to be then it will ultimately be used. Hopefully off peak services come asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

So Maynooth line just about edges the Northern line to be the busiest commuter line in the country.

Not much of a difference between the 2 busiest DART and the 2 business commuter services of the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I know there are only two trains each way a day on Limerick Waterford but the loadings at all stations on the route is beyond brutal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I know there are only two trains each way a day on Limerick Waterford but the loadings at all stations on the route is beyond brutal!!

What else can you expect with the useless timetable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

How a line as important as Maynooth is allowed to continue with infrequent Diesel services in the western world really defies logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Attymon is quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

84% of passengers in the Dublin area. Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    What else can you expect with the useless timetable.

I know the timetable is shocking and Irish rail are taken the piss to be honest. 3 people in Tipp Town. 3!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I know the timetable is shocking and Irish rail are taken the piss to be honest. 3 people in Tipp Town. 3!!!

Tipperary is so close to Limerick Junction that most people from the town would drive/get a lift there rather than use the rare train which passes through the town.

No Sunday service, no direct service, useless timetable, no marketing of the line.... I remember decades ago in Heuston they barely knew of the line's existence and announcements relating to change trains at Limerick Junction for the route were virtually unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

"A third of daily commuter patronage on the Kildare line was on Phoenix Park Tunnel service"

The real "build it and they will come" when it comes to rail in Ireland. Absolutely shocking carry on that this hasn't been running for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Ireland trains

Some 700,000 people used the phoeinx park tunnel in the first full year of operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Qrt

"Daily throughput at Sallins & Naas, Hazelhatch & Celbridge, Adamstown, Clondalkin Fonthill and Parkwest & Cherry Orchard increased by 47%, 77%, 119%, 179% and 75% respectively since before the introduction of rail services through the Phoenix Park Tunnel in November 2016."

Very encouraging news especially at clondalkin/fonthill. Just goes to show that when a service actually brings people to where they need to be then it will ultimately be used. Hopefully off peak services come asap.

I went home via that train service in February. Last few days of my child leap card, went from Pearse to Clondalkin/Fonthill, 76 to the Sq and then 27 home. It took two hours. Anyway, I was shocked at the amount of people using that station, I had expected to be the sole disembarking passenger. Most were using the car park afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

We hear about a lot of the lines and services, that the times and speeds are useless etc. yet providing these services is extremely expensive. Why aren’t they replaced by bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Qrt

Idbatterim wrote: »
    We hear about a lot of the lines and services, that the times and speeds are useless etc. yet providing these services is extremely expensive. Why aren’t they replaced by bus?

I'd imagine many of the commuters would probably end up throwing themselves in front of the bus if it ever were to replace a rail service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Qrt wrote: »
    I'd imagine many of the commuters would probably end up throwing themselves in front of the bus if it ever were to replace a rail service.

I don't think he's talking about commuter services. Lightly used social lines I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

because the users using those services don't use bus. they use rail. those who may wish to use bus already have bus services to meet their needs. we tried replacing rail services with bus, people went to the car.
    in reality rail services aren't that expensive to provide in the great scheme of things.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

because the users using those services don't use bus. they use rail. those who may wish to use bus already have bus services to meet their needs. we tried replacing rail services with bus, people went to the car.
    in reality rail services aren't that expensive to provide in the great scheme of things.
    let them go to their car then. That shambles i.e the lack of patronage, would not be tolerated in any well run country. Expensive rolling stock used to service ghost lines! Mean while it’s like sardines on a can in the Gda!

let them go to their car then.

no, our over-dependence on road transport is not sustainible.
    That shambles i.e the lack of patronage, would not be tolerated in any well run country.

correct they would be forcing service improvements. they operate a transport strategy which involves all methods of transport to insure sustainability.
    Expensive rolling stock used to service ghost lines!

where?
    Mean while it’s like sardines on a can in the Gda!

no different to any other suburban railway. the suburban railway where everyone gets a seat and there is no over-crowding will never be achieved. the only way it could be achieved is by running it down toards closure.
    the vast majority of the rolling stock from the rest of the network would be no good for dublin suburban services anyway, what bits that are are already deployed on cork suburban. so you wouldn't gain anything by line closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Tipperary town is only a couple of miles from Limerick Junction, locals would go there if travelling to Dublin, Cork or Limerick.

Only those going to Waterford or intermediate towns would need the train, and the bus is more frequent and probably cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Why did NTA take so long to publish this report?

It is not as if attention to detail was given, there are typographical errors, for example the Dublin map shows the PPT line running into Heuston, which is misleading, and on the map, Carrigaloe is mis-spelt Carrigalow.

The actual figures for passengers at stations - are these people joining services, or do they also include passengers arriving off a train?
    Where do they count passengers, going through a barrier, or actually stepping on a train? Either way, this is an impossible task. At Dun Laoghaire, lots of people descend the steps to the southbound platform, most board the first DART train, a few wait for the second train because it is going all the way to Greystones, while at certain times, more wait for the Rosslare ICR or Wexford commuter. It is difficult to allocate which passengers going down the stairs are for which service.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

The response to these numbers is predictable.

Depending on your prejudices you'll either shout:

"This is a demand problem, no one wants to go from A to B!"

"This is a supply problem, with more and better services lots of people would go from A to B!"

Bray Head wrote: »
    The response to these numbers is predictable.

Depending on your prejudices you'll either shout:

"This is a demand problem, no one wants to go from A to B!"

"This is a supply problem, with more and better services lots of people would go from A to B!"

what kind of a response were you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

let them go to their car then. That shambles i.e the lack of patronage, would not be tolerated in any well run country. Expensive rolling stock used to service ghost lines! Mean while it’s like sardines on a can in the Gda!

In other countries nearer to us the ghost services would not be tolerated. This isn’t America, yet.

Advertisement