Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Comhra wrote: »
    Does anyone know why ME now have Atlantic charts with warm and cold fronts/occlusions omitted?

41466262250_b230daa100_c.jpg

The Met Office of course, does it properly.

I suspect it is because the inclusion of fronts usually requires manual intervention and so would be a major resource issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Something that's bugged me for a while is how met.ie stick to weather outlooks based on the provinces (plus Dublin on it's own for some equally questionable reason).

Weather does not work like this.

I live in east Waterford so using the Met site and putting in my location as Waterford City I get a forecast outlook that is almost irrelevant. Fine for Tralee or even Cork so I've given them New Ross to base my chances of getting wet on. Predictably it much more useful, so if the weather people are reading this please re-configure your regional forecasts to NW/SW/NE/SE/Midlands and drop Dublin, simply no need for that.

This is a bit crude but you get the idea.

2JZKV.jpg

All you have done is to shift your problem t othe guys in Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

I'm sorry, I have tried the new site but I still hate it. I can still access the old site on the desktop, but can no longer access it from the new m.e. app.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

axe2grind wrote: »
    :mad: so mad about, the one on new site is just not useable. I am the weather buff in my household, but everyone in the house still uses the archive site because the content there is easy to understand. I am sure I would be happy to use the new site if it had the same clear content of the archive site

I agree, can anyone recommend a user friendly short range forecast map as I find the playback and ability to step through the Rainfall forecast map in app poor, a step button or seamless playback might improve it but prefered old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I agree, can anyone recommend a user friendly short range forecast map as I find the playback and ability to step through the Rainfall forecast map in app poor, a step button or seamless playback might improve it but prefered old one.

http://meteoradar.co.uk/expected-rainfall

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.TMC.MeteoRadarCoUk

The app is excellent. Lots of info including a 3 hour rain projection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

piuswal wrote: »
    All you have done is to shift your problem t othe guys in Dungarvan.

It'll never be perfect! Thinking about this a bit more as the prevailing weather is from the west maybe three bands would be better Band 1,2,3

2K5KA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It'll never be perfect! Thinking about this a bit more as the prevailing weather is from the west maybe three bands would be better Band 1,2,3

2K5KA.jpg

Not sure Cork city and Coleraine get the same weather!

Yeah I'd change the bands so they taper to the east on the border basically.

In truth, we all know there are two only areas - Sunny South East and the rest of the island :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/map/precipitation/ireland

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Can the developers fix the android app so that it remembers my location?

It keeps on defaulting to Dublin.

• Advertisement

I really hate the new Met Eireann website.

Let me explain, on the new site you got a big ass map in your face and I have to scroll down to get any sort of info. It serves no purpose.

On the old site , main page has all the menus on the left that I look for without rooting through a flustered site.

The new site needs to be cleaned up big time and uncluttered.

Or leave the old site.

Change is good if change is needed, however, change for the sake of change is not good.

In other words, if it's not broke , then don't fix it. The old site was perfectly fine. No one needs fancy graphics , people want a clean site with all the information easy to find !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Let me explain, on the new site you got a big ass map

Some users were not smart enough to use zoom on their phones / computers to zoom in old map.

That's rather shocking, but I think the New site is just a disaster.

Weather forecast for tomorrow (baring in mind I'm in Waterford so using New Ross as my default)

National
    A cloudy start to Monday for many places. Outbreaks of rain and drizzle will continue to move eastwards as the day goes, but the east and south will stay mainly dry. Clearer weather will following on from the west in the afternoon and evening. Highs of 16 to 22 degrees, coolest in the northwest and warmest in the southeast, in light to moderate southwest breezes.

Leinster -
    Tomorrow, Monday will be mostly cloudy with some patches of light rain or drizzle. The rain and drizzle will clear from western parts of the province later in the afternoon with brighter and fresher conditions following from the west. Highest temperatures of 18 to 22 degrees in light or moderate, southwest to westerly winds.

I'll report back and see how accurate it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Weather forecast for tomorrow (baring in mind I'm in Waterford so using New Ross as my default)

National

Leinster -

Well.......I don't see why Leinster forecast would be more accurate. Perhaps it should be consulted for your location but it shouldn't be more accurate. I'm in Clare, and while I use Munster I'd consult the Connaught forecast sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,913 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I'd don't know what to believe on their page any more for forecasts.
    The top of their page for Waterford City today says showers
    J5Ofxo0l.png

You look at hourly one and no rain
    ocBX5VYl.png

Then on the regional its says rain in coastal area's. We are about 15km from the coast so we could fall under that
    Hs8ZLZ6l.png

Then there is the main map for Munster and the nearest weather symbol is Cork. The others are Cahersiveen and Birr Co Offaly which is in Leinster.
    The west of munster is covered yet the east is not which is stupid. There is a distance of about 120km between waterford and Cork and we have all seen there is a big difference between the weather in Cork and the weather on the east side of Munster.
    Yux2CQ7l.png

National

Leinster -
    Tomorrow, Monday will be mostly cloudy with some patches of light rain or drizzle. The rain and drizzle will clear from western parts of the province later in the afternoon with brighter and fresher conditions following from the west. Highest temperatures of 18 to 22 degrees in light or moderate, southwest to westerly winds

Not at all! Dry with variable brightness all day

I had to change my location to avoid a big blue spot obscuring the rain - why isn't it a circle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

spookwoman wrote: »
    I'd don't know what to believe on their page any more for forecasts.
    The top of their page for Waterford City today says showers
    J5Ofxo0l.png

You look at hourly one and no rain
    ocBX5VYl.png

Then on the regional its says rain in coastal area's. We are about 15km from the coast so we could fall under that
    Hs8ZLZ6l.png

Then there is the main map for Munster and the nearest weather symbol is Cork. The others are Cahersiveen and Birr Co Offaly which is in Leinster.
    The west of munster is covered yet the east is not which is stupid. There is a distance of about 120km between waterford and Cork and we have all seen there is a big difference between the weather in Cork and the weather on the east side of Munster.
    Yux2CQ7l.png

Is the top one current conditions? And looking at the netweather radar for 18:45 last night there was some rain about.

The next one is the numerical forecast which is just a pump out of the model data for your location, rain must have had a low probability when the model was generated for that location so didn't show. Probably places near you that, maybe even yours that got no rain and the forecast was very accurate for.

Then the next one is the more generalised forecast with human intervention. Good for broad strokes.

sumtings wrote: »
    Is the top one current conditions? And looking at the netweather radar for 18:45 last night there was some rain about.

The next one is the numerical forecast which is just a pump out of the model data for your location, rain must have had a low probability when the model was generated for that location so didn't show. Probably places near you that, maybe even yours that got no rain and the forecast was very accurate for.

Then the next one is the more generalised forecast with human intervention. Good for broad strokes.

Top - There was some rain in the morning but after that not a drop and later it changed to partially cloudy when it was clear outside.

This is the national forecaster, farmers, businesses etc all rely on it and it's a joke, especially the regional maps. Shannon and Waterford both have airports so you would think they would be included also Limerick and Waterford are cities which is another reason. We see it nearly every day weather fronts that come from the Atlantic sweep up the west side of the country from Cork/Kerry to Donegal. The lads here laugh about the shield wall around Cork that seems to interfere with the weather fronts moving east.
    Then look at the Leinster map which also includes Birr, it does Dublin and Wexford which are about 100km or so apart as the crow flies. Again Dublin has its own little weather system which is affected by the Isle of Man and even Wales so the weather between Dublin and Birr is going to be drastically different. We've often seen squally lines run from Tipperary town to Dundalk. Wexford is another one it's weather is affected by Wales, South England and the Continent. We are a small Island but our weather varies a great deal around the country.

Todays Munster Forecast 09 August 2018 13:00

Today
    A mix of sunny spells and scattered showers today with some heavy bursts expected. Light to moderate, west to southwest winds with highest temperatures 15 to 18 degrees.

Tonight
    Some scattered showers overnight, but clear spells also, especially in the east. Lowest temperatures 7 to 9 degrees, in mostly light west to southwest breezes.

Now look at todays radar, it's a fine example of weather differences for areas. There are showers along the west heading east and it's like a invisible line running through waterford country, through Kilkenny and up to Mullingar that seem to switch the rain clouds off yet the regional says showers for Munster today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

spookwoman wrote: »
    Top - There was some rain in the morning but after that not a drop and later it changed to partially cloudy when it was clear outside.

This is the national forecaster, farmers, businesses etc all rely on it and it's a joke, especially the regional maps. Shannon and Waterford both have airports so you would think they would be included also Limerick and Waterford are cities which is another reason. We see it nearly every day weather fronts that come from the Atlantic sweep up the west side of the country from Cork/Kerry to Donegal. The lads here laugh about the shield wall around Cork that seems to interfere with the weather fronts moving east.
    Then look at the Leinster map which also includes Birr, it does Dublin and Wexford which are about 100km or so apart as the crow flies. Again Dublin has its own little weather system which is affected by the Isle of Man and even Wales so the weather between Dublin and Birr is going to be drastically different. We've often seen squally lines run from Tipperary town to Dundalk. Wexford is another one it's weather is affected by Wales, South England and the Continent. We are a small Island but our weather varies a great deal around the country.

Todays Munster Forecast 09 August 2018 13:00

Today
    A mix of sunny spells and scattered showers today with some heavy bursts expected. Light to moderate, west to southwest winds with highest temperatures 15 to 18 degrees.

Tonight
    Some scattered showers overnight, but clear spells also, especially in the east. Lowest temperatures 7 to 9 degrees, in mostly light west to southwest breezes.

Now look at todays radar, it's a fine example of weather differences for areas. There are showers along the west heading east and it's like a invisible line running through waterford country, through Kilkenny and up to Mullingar that seem to switch the rain clouds off yet the regional says showers for Munster today.

Some showers moving through now:pac:

Some showers moving through now:pac:

Most of the time it's wrong like today last night said on the hourly one 2 hours of rain one at about 4pm and one later. It's been raining for a good part of the day. At this stage I'd be better off reading tea leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Current location offshore apparently
    Closer to England than Ireland
    And I'm in Galway!!!!!!!

How is it still so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

km79 wrote: »
    Current location offshore apparently
    Closer to England than Ireland
    And I'm in Galway!!!!!!!

How is it still so bad

You must have clicked that location on the rainfall radar. If you do that then it shows that location as your current location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Tails142

Just came here to say I hate the new website! The forecast maps are too slow to load, sometimes don't load at all or certain squares fail to load, take too long to view and go through hour by hour and when you click between times the image flashes on and off making it hard to track bands of rain moving across the country.

Never had these problems with the old site and now the short range forecast is gone from the old site. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

Tails142 wrote: »
    Just came here to say I hate the new website! The forecast maps are too slow to load, sometimes don't load at all or certain squares fail to load, take too long to view and go through hour by hour and when you click between times the image flashes on and off making it hard to track bands of rain moving across the country.

Never had these problems with the old site and now the short range forecast is gone from the old site. Very annoying.

Exactly ^^^ what you said. Hate it, and esp the short range forecast now being dropped, so disappointing for a new site

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

tiegan wrote: »
    Exactly ^^^ what you said. Hate it, and esp the short range forecast now being dropped, so disappointing for a new site

What really annoys me about the site is that rain radar display.
    The graphics are so poorly rendered.

ME have added a sferic display feature which is very difficult to see well because the sferics are shown as faint crosses, barely discernible as they use the same colour (orange) as the unnecessary roadways depicted on the map.

The sferics are almost invisible among the clutter. Hopeless effort.

The UK Met Office app is much better for rainfall prediction. It allows you to zoom on Ireland & then view a future timeline.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.gov.metoffice.weather.android

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/will-it-rain-today/#?tab=map

Rain on the way & Shannon goes down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Discodog wrote: »
    Rain on the way & Shannon goes down.

Still gone. Not an issue of the site though more MÉ

Advertisement