Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Zonda999

At the minute, very few tvs have an mpeg4 tuner built in. I'm guessing youre looking for a 40" tv for around 1000e. More or less your only option in that case is a W series Sony. One like this. For sure, this will pick up Irish DTT. Fantastic PQ on bluray too

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jpogorman

Hi,

Thanks for confirming that. I think I will stick with my TV choice and get the decoder when they become available.

Thanks,
    JP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The following two ranges of Sony TVs are MPEG4 compatible according to the specs in their relevant manuals.

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3298243122.pdf
    http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4106868131.pdf

Powercity are advertising some of the Sony TVs from these manuals as being MPEG4 compliant, e.g. KDL-40W4000 - NEW IRISH MPEG4 DIGITAL TERESTERIAL TUNER, KDL-46W4500 - MPEG4 TUNER FOR IRISH DTT, KDL-32V4500 - MPEG4 FOR IRISH DTT RECEPTION.
    There is no mention on the Sony Ireland website of any of its products being MPEG4 compliant when I last checked.

Philips Ireland website is also advertising some of its TVs as DVB Terrestrial, DVB-T MPEG4, DVB-C MPEG4 e.g. 42PFL9803H/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

The Panasonic PZ81 range with the built in Freesat has a MPEG4 DTT tuner.

The PZ81 has sizes 32" to 50".

Ring richersounds in Belfast for a quote, very cheap now with the £ being very weak!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭kuro_man

mullingar wrote: »

Ring richersounds in Belfast for a quote, very cheap now with the £ being very weak!

++
    According to reports, you can combine DTT channels with SAT channels on the EPG (favourites) on this TV so all the irish/uk fta channels together and no subs.

42" Plasma close to your budget and are highly regarded; See hdtvtest.co.uk - the only independent TV review site I trust (they ask for donations to buy TV's to test!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Heres a list of LCDs and plasmas available in the irish market that have MPEG4 tuners in them all under €2K.

Phillips 37PFL603H - €1190
    Phillips 42PFL5603H - €1190
    Phillips 47PFL7603H - €1590
    Phillips 47PFL5603H- €1390
    Panasonic TH42P281E - €1190
    Panasonic TH46PZ81F - €1590
    Panasonic TH50OPZ81E €2090
    Samsung LE32A676 - €1249
    Samsung LE40A568 - €1190
    Samsung LE37A568 - € 990
    Samsung LE46A568 - €1480
    Sony KDL 40W4000E - €1290
    Sony KDL 46W4000E - €1690
    Sony KDL 32E4000 AEP- €1149
    Sony KDL 324020AEP - €1190
    Toshiba 37XV515DG - €899
    LG 37LG5500 - €879

scart wrote: »
    Heres a list of LCDs and plasmas available in the irish market that have MPEG4 tuners in them all under €2K.

Samsung LE32A676 - €1249
    Samsung LE40A568 - €1190
    Samsung LE37A568 - € 990
    Samsung LE46A568 - €1480
    Toshiba 37XV515DG - €899
    LG 37LG5500 - €879

Also Sony KDL-26V4500 (I have one) €739.95/€604.00

Where did you get that price from?

If you meant the TH50PZ81, its £1,450 in Richersounds, or at todays exchange rate ~ € 1720

I dunno if many people have noticed but lately, on pixmania.ie, theyve been listing a whole load of tvs that only seem to be available on pixmania. They are all able to show "TNT HD".I believe this is French Freeview in HD. Afaik this is mpeg4, and, because of this, any TNT HD tv should be able to show Irish DTT. Am i right??

Here, is a list of all pixmania's TNT HD lcds, in increasing order of price. That Philips 32" is about 575 incl delivery.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think this thread might be a good resource, so I'm going to sticky it for now.

• Advertisement

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I dunno if many people have noticed but lately, on pixmania.ie, theyve been listing a whole load of tvs that only seem to be available on pixmania. They are all able to show "TNT HD".I believe this is French Freeview in HD. Afaik this is mpeg4, and, because of this, any TNT HD tv should be able to show Irish DTT. Am i right??

Here, is a list of all pixmania's TNT HD lcds, in increasing order of price. That Philips 32" is about 575 incl delivery.

The French DTT (TNT) standard is DVB-T/MPEG2 for the FTA SD channels, DVB-T/MPEG4 for the Pay SD channels, for the 4 FTA HD channels (TF1 HD, France 2 HD, M6 HD, Arte HD), for 1 Pay HD channel (Canal+ HD).
    The difference is the interactive standard France had planned to use the MHP standard (on hold due to royalty issues), the UK and Ireland standard is MHEG5.

So if the tv is French TNT and UK freeview compatible it should decode MPEG4 and display an EPG in MHEG5.

The Sony range of MPEG4 televisions appear to be compatible with DTT standards across Europe, if you see one of their TV's on display in a shop a sticker on the tv displays the logos of the various national DTT organisations, including TNT and freeview with which the tv is compatible.

BTW: there is no name or logo for Irish DTT yet, anyone care to start a thread for suggestions :rolleyes: - might be cheaper than an expensive government contract in these cash strapped times, Minister Eamon Ryan might be browsing.

Right...so you're saying they should work but there's no guarantee. I was looking at gettin a 720p mpeg4 32"(About 600e) but i think i'll just get a sony 40w4000 afterall. Thats workin out at only 870e at the moment and for that i'm gettin a top brand 1080p tv that will definitely work with Irish DTT.

Before any official launch and national promotion campaign no one is going to definitely guarantee that any MPEG4 tv on the shelves today will work with the future Irish DTT system, but posters are using these tvs to receive the current engineering tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Right...so you're saying they should work but there's no guarantee. I was looking at gettin a 720p mpeg4 32"(About 600e) but i think i'll just get a sony 40w4000 afterall. Thats workin out at only 870e at the moment and for that i'm gettin a top brand 1080p tv that will definitely work with Irish DTT.

That model is listed at 999 in Pixmania plus delivery so where is it at that price mate?

Something funny there 'cos was in H normans 2 days ago and no 81s in stock so he rang Panny Irl and they said that model 81 does NOT have mpeg4 tuner built in and they won't be selling it here so went over to Argos and they had it crossed off their catalogue also .

Does anyone have this Z81 freesat model and perhaps they could confirm or deny this information.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

Anyone know of any smaller tvs (around 22inch) which have an MPEG4 decoder???

John Dough wrote: »
    That model is listed at 999 in Pixmania plus delivery so where is it at that price mate?

Right Here

fletch wrote: »
    Anyone know of any smaller tvs (around 22inch) which have an MPEG4 decoder???

The smallest I could find in the Sony range was 26" incl. the Sony France website where there is MPEG4 broadcasting.
    Televisions smaller than 26" might take some time to appear, e.g. in France all television sets (below 26") and set-top boxes must include an HD/DTT (MPEG4) tuner by 1 December 2012.
    HD tuner mandate delayed
    Manufacturers have been given an additional year before the requirement to include an MPEG-4 AVC HD tuner in all HD displays comes into force.
    Initially, the mandate was to start on the 1st December 2008, however, legislative changes made in August, now require television sets larger than 66cm (26 inches) to include an HD/DTT receiver as of the 1st December 2009.
    In addition, all television sets and set-top boxes must include an HD/DTT tuner by 1 December 2012.
    Source: LegiFrance (translation thanks to Digitag)
    Item added: 9th September 2008
    http://www.dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_worldwide/france/

John Dough wrote: »
    Something funny there 'cos was in H normans 2 days ago and no 81s in stock so he rang Panny Irl and they said that model 81 does NOT have mpeg4 tuner built in and they won't be selling it here so went over to Argos and they had it crossed off their catalogue also .

Does anyone have this Z81 freesat model and perhaps they could confirm or deny this information.:confused:

It was on the page 3 of the thread titles!

:Confirmed: Panasonic 50PZ81 working with Irish MPEG4 DTT (pics attached)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Samsung LE32A676 - €1249
    Samsung LE40A568 - €1190
    Samsung LE37A568 - € 990
    Samsung LE46A568 - €1480
    Toshiba 37XV515DG - €899
    LG 37LG5500 - €879

The thing about that list when I originally posted ALSO pointed out that you make sure to buy the model outside the country because it seems unclear whether or not there are variations of models between countries. So in the case of the list above was compiled from research done on the availability of TVs using the french market.

It is highly likely that the Irish suppliers are not stocking them anyway. It is far easier to stock the wrong products warehoused in the UK, destined for the UK market but sold here for convenience, without consideration for the consumer.

Scart: When lifting someone else's post the next time perhaps you could lift the whole post that way the meaning wont be lost. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57679355

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Apologies STB......

No worries. Just had visions of people trying to source these in Ireland (which probably is difficult at this moment in time) and if succesful perhaps purchasing an mpeg2 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Can anyone confirm if the Sony KDL-26V4500 has an MPEG4 digital tuner

YES. Make sure that wherever you buy it that the manual says so in the Technical spec booklet.

http://www.sony.lv/product/t15-v-series/kdl-26v4500/tab/technicalspecs

tadgh wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if the Sony KDL-26V4500 has an MPEG4 digital tuner

See my previous post (#4) in this thread for the manual.

Ok cheers mate only problem is no VHF tuner in the UK sets so having a look at the Sony 40inc W models which have a full band tuner but no HD receiver but as the Hummy HD models are coming with PVRs built in now they would be a better add on than the Panny and the Sony sets are cheaper.
    I was in Power C and they want 1349 for the 40 W model but only 900 on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Most people don't need vhf tuners anyways, if your reception comes in as uhf then a uk set is fine if it tunes analog.
    If it tunes digital, is it correct to say it automatically tunes uhf analog?

TheDriver wrote: »
    Most people don't need vhf tuners anyways, if your reception comes in as uhf then a uk set is fine if it tunes analog.
    If it tunes digital, is it correct to say it automatically tunes uhf analog?

I have to disagree with you there mate as thousands of households are receiving their analogue signal in VHF on cable systems and set top aerials at the moment so they NEED VHF/UHF tuners.

If the TV has DVB-T digital it receives those signals on the UHF band on the Irish test and on the N.I. freeview service.Some countries do use the VHF for DVB-T also but have not heard anything about Ireland using it but you never know as the analogue VHF signals are much stronger and robust than UHF here.

5 main transmitters are broadcating RTE1/2 in VHF and will do so until switchover in 2012.

VHF Band III (7 MHz) is part of the Irish DTT standard and was allocated 1 national VHF mux at GE06 but probably will not use it and may be converted to a DAB allocation.

Back in 2004 the following was the position of Comreg on VHF Band III for TV in response to a Dept of Comms consultation
    2.2 UHF Bands IV & V (470 to 862 MHz) & VHF Band III (174 to 230MHz).

1). While DTT will obviously be planned in the UHF band, should consideration be made for DTT in the VHF Band III or should this be the sole preserve of DAB?
    If you feel both should be developed please specify your reasons.

Response:
    ComReg is of the considered opinion that the VHF Band III should continue to be allocated to the broadcasting service and used for digital sound and digital
    television services.

Reasons:
    The VHF Band III is currently used for analogue television transmissions and whatever digital service(s) is introduced, the consumer will have to purchase a new digital receiver or adaptor. A single receiver capable of receiving any service broadcast in this band, be it audio, television or data would be in the best interests of the consumer, facilitate competition and optimise spectrum use in this band.

If the band is planned for DVB-T in 8 MHz wide channels then it will be possible to use the multiplex to deliver a combination of services including broadcasting and data. These services could include the traditional broadcast content as well as any other services that fit onto the multiplex or use the DVB-T channel spacing.

DVB systems have been established in Europe since 1998. Already consumer equipment is available, costing less than dedicated DAB receivers that provide sound broadcasting services, television broadcast and data streams using DVB-T. Large numbers of receivers have been purchased in the last year for DVB-T services in the UK and Germany. The ‘Freeview’ service available in the UK is one example where the consumer equipment is already available for less than £80 Sterling (approximately €125).

Until the mid 1990’s VHF Band III provided substantial coverage for analogue television services using the main transmitter stations and relatively few transposer stations. Provision of national coverage of digital television services in VHF Band III is likely to require considerably less infrastructure than in the UHF bands.

The cost of rolling out a DAB-only network has slowed the introduction of DAB by broadcasters and the relatively high cost of DAB receivers has mitigated against consumer take up where DAB services are operated. On the other hand radio services delivery via DVB-T may not have such constraints and radio services would only need to contribute a fraction of the cost of
    developing such a network.

Newer technologies will better utilise the spectrum and deliver a variety of services including television. This would be potentially more attractive to consumers, leading to take up by consumers and achieving the goals set by Government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

... all Philips model numbers ending in H are for MPEG-4 ready sets. Models ending with D have only an MPEG-2 tuner.

This is the full model number, which isn't often publicised on shop displays. For example, the 37PFL9603 model is available in two versions:

e.g. 37PFL9603/10D is NOT compatible
    e.g. 37PFL9603/10H IS compatible

If you're in a shop, ask for the full product number (it'll be on the box sticker)
    Online, you should be able to see the full product model number.

... and the H version will be about €100 more expensive than the plain D one :(

Advertisement