Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schools Cup 2014/2015 *mod warning post 1*

• 21-07-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

This is your warning! Unfortunately a minority of posters will act the dick and try and turn this thread into a cluster **** so there are special rules around this thread which are

There are no warning and infraction. ONLY BANS of varying length
    new poster acting the dick will be permanently banned from the rugby forum
    Making **** up will lead to a permanent ban
    If this threads becomes a head ache it will be closed especially if non of the competitions have even started yet
    Re-regs will be of course banned all their posts will be removed and direct replies to them this may result in weird continuity gaps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

FIRA U18 championships in 2015 to be played in France in Midi Pyrenees region
    Cistercian Roscrea new Head Coach is Ex Nenagh Ormond/Tullamore AIL head coach Jonny Moylan
    Pres Bray new Head Coach is Damien Hall, ex Bective and Greystones AIL player

League fixtures have been made but not available on Leinster website yet. Limerick City League fixtures are up on the Munster website as well as under 15 and Under 17 Leagues which for the first time have a division for the B schools

Clongowes hosting a competition in October to celebrate 200 years and there is around 20 sides competing in that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Have heard good things about the Terenure Juniors next year

Several already been on foreign tours as prep for cup next year. Michaels, Pres Bray, PBC all abroad on trips..

Clongowes having big tournament celebrating 200 years In October about 20 schools competing including a few from England, Wales. Should be interesting weekend...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Several already been on foreign tours as prep for cup next year. Michaels, Pres Bray, PBC all abroad on trips..

Clongowes having big tournament celebrating 200 years In October about 20 schools competing including a few from England, Wales. Should be interesting weekend...

How much funding would the top schools have for their rugby teams?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Impossible to say but coaches can get paid quite well, some schools have directors of rugby and mainly use outside coaches not teachers. To have outside coaches running 2-3 pitch sessions a week plus a game plus S&C etc for 2/3 senior sides and 3/4 junior, u15 and u14 sides in combination with teachers involvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

Impossible to say but coaches can get paid quite well, some schools have directors of rugby and mainly use outside coaches not teachers. To have outside coaches running 2-3 pitch sessions a week plus a game plus S&C etc for 2/3 senior sides and 3/4 junior, u15 and u14 sides in combination with teachers involvement.
    Not particularly difficult to work out. Each non cup team team comes in at about e100 a week. Junior Cup at about 10k per year with senior cup teams running at anywhere from 15k per year at the lowest levels to 100k at the highest level (coaches, physio s+c). Most schools have 10 teams at a minimum so the budget at the lowest levels for schools with few teachers involved are at least 50000 per year. It isn't any surprise that non fee paying schools have fallen away from their hey day in the mid 80s when the likes of Michaels couldn't live with De La Salle Churchtown

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

Podge_irl wrote: »

Only number I heard was for PBC two years ago and that was €160000. Wouldn't know if it's accurate but guy that told me would be reliable due to his knowledge and involvement in school.

In Munster, I would imagine Rockwell and Christians would be higher than PBC with the limerick schools all a decent bit lower.

As glenstal is fee paying and have a lot of outside coaches they must have a decent budget too.

Ard Scoil Ris have had a few good years and have backed this up with very good financial support, from juniors down they would be weaker so I'd imagine they'll get less backing then. Plus they have a serious hurling set up (but get excellent GAA assistance there).

Crescent have a lot of parental involvement but never seem to lack. I'd imagine Munchins and Castletroy have the lowest budgets.

milosh wrote: »
    Not particularly difficult to work out. Each non cup team team comes in at about e100 a week. Junior Cup at about 10k per year with senior cup teams running at anywhere from 15k per year at the lowest levels to 100k at the highest level (coaches, physio s+c). Most schools have 10 teams at a minimum so the budget at the lowest levels for schools with few teachers involved are at least 50000 per year. It isn't any surprise that non fee paying schools have fallen away from their hey day in the mid 80s when the likes of Michaels couldn't live with De La Salle Churchtown
    It is as such difference between the schools. Shame that money is so key in schools comps....
    At same time I hope to be coaching/reffing in a school or two next year getting something...
    Only number I heard was for PBC two years ago and that was €160000. Wouldn't know if it's accurate but guy that told me would be reliable due to his knowledge and involvement in school.

In Munster, I would imagine Rockwell and Christians would be higher than PBC with the limerick schools all a decent bit lower.

As glenstal is fee paying and have a lot of outside coaches they must have a decent budget too.

Ard Scoil Ris have had a few good years and have backed this up with very good financial support, from juniors down they would be weaker so I'd imagine they'll get less backing then. Plus they have a serious hurling set up (but get excellent GAA assistance there).

Crescent have a lot of parental involvement but never seem to lack. I'd imagine Munchins and Castletroy have the lowest budgets.
    All Limerick schools would be well below Rock, Cork2 and Glenstal. They also use club grounds huge amount unlike other schools.

2 groups for league set. Games start October 1st
    Gerards, Newbridge, Roscrea, Andrews, Wesley, Kings Hospital

Castleknock, Pres Bray, Kilkenny, CUS, Gonzaga, Monkstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Michaels to win the Leinster cup this year. Very strong group of players going into 6th year, a lot of them with two years SCT experience under their belt. James Ryan the obvious name but also the likes of Deegan and O'Meara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Michaels to win the Leinster cup this year. Very strong group of players going into 6th year, a lot of them with two years SCT experience under their belt. James Ryan the obvious name but also the likes of Deegan and O'Meara.

Brian Omara took over coaching there from kelvin leahy and they haven't been as good since. Kick a lot of ball away under him. Won't win it playing that way. Pity because they were developing a reputation as a good ball in hand side that were good to watch.

• Advertisement

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Brian Omara took over coaching there from kelvin leahy and they haven't been as good since. Kick a lot of ball away under him. Won't win it playing that way. Pity because they were developing a reputation as a good ball in hand side that were good to watch.

True, I believe there's been a few resignations over the last few years because of internal conflict. Shame, Leahy did a brilliant job, Skehan did well in 2013 too. Still think they have the squad to win regardless.

Should be noted though that this is the last of the Michaels golden generation, would expect a few years of mediocrity to come with reaching the semis the best result..

True, I believe there's been a few resignations over the last few years because of internal conflict. Shame, Leahy did a brilliant job, Skehan did well in 2013 too. Still think they have the squad to win regardless.

Should be noted though that this is the last of the Michaels golden generation, would expect a few years of mediocrity to come with reaching the semis the best result..
    That's very harsh and completely OTT.

Any info on interpro warm ups for under 18 schools sides coming up? Munster play Millfield in UL in a few weeks. Any other fixture news?

That's very harsh and completely OTT.

No malice in it, I'm a Michaels man. But in the last 5 years Michaels have been in 3 of the finals and the crop coming through don't look like they'll maintain that standard. Happens in cycles, Belvo had a few bad years there but look like they're coming out of it now.

No malice in it, I'm a Michaels man. But in the last 5 years Michaels have been in 3 of the finals and the crop coming through don't look like they'll maintain that standard. Happens in cycles, Belvo had a few bad years there but look like they're coming out of it now.
    I think its too early to say they'll maintain the standard or not. Yes it happens in cycles in all schools but Blackrock and even they these days will not dominate like they did in past.
    Does anyone who posts here actually coach/are actively involved in a school coaching etc?
    I could be doing some refereeing and coaching next year in a school in Leinster and just curious if anyone else is/does?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rugby_Man5

What teams are favorites for the 2015 senior cup ?

Who are the favorites this year? Hear michaels have a strong team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

Rugby_Man5 wrote: »
    Who are the favorites this year? Hear michaels have a strong team.

St Michael's Cup to lose alright, their squad is littered with talent however their 5th Years aren't that strong

Blackrock will be looking for the three-in-a-row the first since 1930! The Sixth years however are weak with most of them quitting after Junior Cup in 2012. I predict their team to be mainly made up of fifth years with even a few forth years.

Belvo defiantly should be considered dark horses and will be looking to reach the Final with a raft full of talent in their fifth years and forth years.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Will be hard to see outside of Rock,Michaels and Clongowes at the moment. If I was having a sneaky €5 it would be on Michaels

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Tw091i

Blackrock will be relying on too many 5th years IMO.
    Michaels have a strong 6th year class with enough in 5th year to carry the cup this year.

I hear marys have good fifth and fourth years with three or four reps per year. could they be considered ?

• Advertisement

It seems that belvo and marys are coming out of a dry patch now with two quater finals last year. for the smaller schools it happens in cycles

I think belvo might be turning it around but I wouldn't read much into the two finals at jct the last two years. Improbably handy draws both years.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    I think belvo might be turning it around but I wouldn't read much into the two finals at jct the last two years. Improbably handy draws both years.

The draw in the 2013 Cup for Belvo was quite straight forward playing Kilkenny,St Marys and St Gerards on the way to the final, however they did go the season unbeaten apart from a loss to St Marys early on. However in 2014 Belvo defiantly got a tough draw playing Gonzaga, Clongowes and St Michaels on the way to the final. They are most defiantly turning it around and getting back to there best

why are st.marys constantly overlooked recently ? they have had better senior cup success recently then belvo. im new to leinster schools so its unclear to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

How have Marys a better record than Belvo? What senior cup success have Marys recently? Belvo last won it in 2008 , Belvo also had some really tough first round draws since then.Belvo beat Marys in Juniors in most recent meeting.

why are st.marys constantly overlooked recently ? they have had better senior cup success recently then belvo. im new to leinster schools so its unclear to me.

Mary's have done nothing in recent years that is why they are overlooked.7 years ago they had a good go to a final with a nice draw. They are a small school and are struggling against the bigger numbers schools. Roscrea and newbridge and possibly castleknock(who beat them last time they met in cup) have all overtaken them.
    Should enter the league but pride seems to be stopping them.

Leinster U18s are to go on a 4 Day tour in England from the 9th - 12th August where they will play Bedford Blues.

They will also play Northampton Saints on the 21st in Leinster

Leinster U18 schools are to go on a 4 Day tour in England from the 9th - 12th August where they will play Bedford Blues.

They will also play Northampton Saints on the 21st in Leinster
    That's the schools side. Not just an 18s side..
    Munster u18 schools play Millfield School in Limerick Saturday week and Connacht in Thomond park Friday fortnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Pepsimax22

I hear marys have good fifth and fourth years with three or four reps per year. could they be considered ?

No.

• Advertisement

That's the schools side. Not just an 18s side..
    Munster u18 schools play Millfield School in Limerick Saturday week and Connacht in Thomond park Friday fortnight.

I said Leinster U18s Schools?

and these are the players that I know of on the squad however it is currently a squad of 46 and it will be cut down to 32 before the tour

Tim Carroll (Roscrea)
    Tim Foley (Roscrea)
    Dave Duggan (Michaels)
    Barry Fitzpatrick (Michaels)
    Rory Mulvihill (Michaels)
    Oisin Dowling (Michaels)
    Johnny Guy (Andrews)
    Jordan Larmour (Andrews)
    James McGowan (Blackrock)
    Caelan Doris (Blackrock)
    Conor Dean (Blackrock)
    Richie Mouatt (Blackrock)