Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs England, Sunday 1st March 3pm; RTE/BBC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

bilston wrote: »
    Undoubtedly, however I forgot he was playing on Sunday such was his impact.

Talking of future Lions 13s there are some good young OCs around. JJ, Henshaw and Bennett could all be vying for the 13 jersey in a couple of years time, but right now it would be hard to look past Davies and Tuilagi.

Actually when Tuilagi returns where will JJ fit into Lancaster's plans?

Personally I'd have Tuilagi and JJ together.

Not really sure Davies will be in the picture, unless Gatland is coach again. He hasn't done much since the Lions tour. He's been okay-ish for Clermont... He's no Rougerie

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

England
    Madigan at 12, D'Arcy at 13 for the next Lions tour for me.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Madigan at 12, D'Arcy at 13 for the next Lions tour for me.

Zeebs at FB?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,743 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Zeebs at FB?

Fitzy.

England
    Zeebs at FB?

Nah after his performance on Sunday I'm going to switch him to the blindside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Personally I'd have Tuilagi and JJ together.

The English midfield could be very strong in the years to come. A maturing Ford who will be the best in the world in the future IMO and then a fit Tuilagi plus Joseph with Watson out wide is pretty exciting. Obviously St Joe will find a way to stop them of course but that is pretty exciting.

England
    The English midfield could be very strong in the years to come. A maturing Ford who will be the best in the world in the future IMO and then a fit Tuilagi plus Joseph with Watson out wide is pretty exciting. Obviously St Joe will find a way to stop them of course but that is pretty exciting.

And behind that pack, they could be a serious force.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Swiwi. wrote: »
    The scrum-half remains a poor box kicker

More wisdom from George Hook :rolleyes:

I think he's world class. One of us is wrong...

Also, always fun to read the pre-match team assessments with the benefit of hindsight

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/sixnations/11441868/Ireland-v-England-player-head-to-head-who-comes-out-on-top.html

As you'd expect the England tight 5 is more highly rated than the Irish one. It's one area I think English journalistis are consistently myopic. They always believe they have some sort of amazing front-row, they tend to put a huge emphasis on the scrum when assessing their players. Some of the backline assessments are also interesting. Sexton a 9 but Ford an 8. Joseph a 9. They scored it evens before the match anyways...

I don't know a scrum-half better at box kicks in the world than Murray. He's not always perfect, but it is a difficult skill to execute brilliantly all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I don't know a scrum-half better at box kicks in the world than Murray. He's not always perfect, but it is a difficult skill to execute brilliantly all the time.

He sometimes lacks a bit of distance I suppose but then that may be deliberate. Even though it appears they haven't travelled that far we seem to retain possession 50% of the time, and the other 50% we have the opposition going backwards even if they get hold of the ball.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

England
    Fireball07 wrote: »

Maybe Pienaar when he wants to be and is allowed to be.
    He sometimes lacks a bit of distance I suppose but then that may be deliberate. Even though it appears they haven't travelled that far we seem to retain possession 50% of the time, and the other 50% we have the opposition going backwards even if they get hold of the ball.
    It has to be shorter than maximum to be contestable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

In the making
    Could be

I like my players graded on how they are actually not what they might become.

He could well be a 9/10 player. I don't think he's that currently, and certainly didn't really shine on Saturday, if compared to 6/10 Payne or 8/10 Henshaw.

*cough* I dislike defending Fleet Street, but those ratings were clearly based on for as much as ability (and as much again on delusion) and Joseph was in hot form. And any centre can be shut down if you beat his pack and panic his half-backs, as happened to Joseph.

But yes, this is mainly a matter of the media's classic propensity for talking up the first shoots of spring like they just won everything. Watching the praise lavished on him over the last few weeks has made me equal parts apprehensive and angry. He's simply not at that place yet. Wonderful talent, I hope it sticks, but a couple of good games so far. Retrying Tuilagi and Joseph is a clear course of action but I'm dubious as to whether it will work.

When we come to it, the idea that there's *only one* area where England's rugby media are consistently myopic, is, well... c'mon Swiwi, you're smarter than that :pac:

Also, for what its worth, Murray's box kicking was often 5 feet too far forwards against England, but he is clearly a fantastic proponent of the art.

Finally winding down enough to consider England's performance here. I have to say, without wishing to run down Ireland's performance at all, England first shot themselves in the foot, then calmly unloaded the second barrel into the other. Some of the mistakes were at least partially due to opposition pressure - but when your lock ignores the ref shouting "White, give" to keep standing offside, well, that's not really pressure. That's idiocy. And when your full-back marks the catch rather than grounding the ball when in his own try area, you might give a little credit to the chaser for maybe affecting his thinking, but you'd like to think an international could spot the bad idea there for himself regardless. And on. And on. Anthony Watson going for the ball in a clearly offside position, again, not hugely opposition pressure... but then it was good defensive play and a big hit from Sexton that resulted in Ford mucking up that situation and offering up the opportunity. So, mix. Fantastic pressure from the Irish at many points. But you're meant to show a lot more than the English players do when it came on.

And on and on and on and on. Winning a test match against opposition of serious quality while making so many errors is simply impossible. I thought England did alright in the first half, mistakes put us aside but it looked in the balance, but the mistakes continued and panic set in until our bench/no Sexton gave us an edge... at which point we still made plenty of mistakes. Also, throughout the game, our support of the ball carrier was put to shame by Ireland's work. It remains a consistent failing. Our back three were well beat - Goode is fantastic at working out where to be to take the kick and hopeless once he gathers. Our tight five did not get the hoped for advantage.

I see a fair few positive remarks about England but I don't share them. This appears to be England's plateau. Enough talent and guts to make a match of it against top sides, but far too many weaknesses to hope to challenge them properly. Doesn't look like changing soon enough.

I'm undecided as to whether to wish you luck against Wales... obviously it'd be nice to have a shot at winning the Championship... but, well, Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

One final comment. There seems to be this idea that if you can't tell if it's a forward pass on TV, well the ref should have gone to the TMO. If Joubert was 100% certain that the last pass from 36 to Nowell was forward, I see absolutely no reason why he should go to the TMO. TV cameras are not always in the perfect spot to get it right, and the ref might well have been. It's happened a bit in SXV recently too, where the ref is 100% sure of his call, it looks uncertain from the didgy camera angles, and then everyone is up in arms that the TMO wasn't involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anthony Watson going for the ball in a clearly offside position, again, not hugely opposition pressure...

I have a tiny bit of sympathy for Watson here, he couldn't see it, there is at least a reasonable chance it was ripped and went backwards off an Irish hand. It is also possible that if it went directly forward off Ford, and not back off Ford forward off Goode he was onside (I'd have to check again).

It's one of the less stupid versions of that penalty I have seen in a while. It is ridiculous for us (Irish) to say that Ford, Watson and Nowell all mishandling kicks in the first 2 minutes is because we're great. It's not. All 3 were under pressure, and that makes us good, but those players should have handled those kicks. If our players had messed up in those positions I'd have been angry at my players.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,743 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

One final comment. There seems to be this idea that if you can't tell if it's a forward pass on TV, well the ref should have gone to the TMO. If Joubert was 100% certain that the last pass from 36 to Nowell was forward, I see absolutely no reason why he should go to the TMO. TV cameras are not always in the perfect spot to get it right, and the ref might well have been. It's happened a bit in SXV recently too, where the ref is 100% sure of his call, it looks uncertain from the didgy camera angles, and then everyone is up in arms that the TMO wasn't involved.

One minute it's "there's no need to go to the TMO all the time, make a decision". Then when the ref makes a decision it's "why didn't you use the TMO ref!?". Lose-lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

errlloyd wrote: »

It's one of the less stupid versions of that penalty I have seen in a while. It is ridiculous for us (Irish) to say that Ford, Watson and Nowell all mishandling kicks in the first 2 minutes is because we're great. It's not. All 3 were under pressure, and that makes us good, but those players should have handled those kicks. If our players had messed up in those positions I'd have been angry at my players.

It's also true to say they knew what was coming long before the game but had no clue what to do about it. We also made it really difficult by having up to three chasers on the garryowens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Fully correct. The ref goes to the TMO when he is unsure. Not when the crowd is unsure. Otherwise what would you do? Go to the TMO is the crowd howls ? Or for every decision even if it is clear to him, just in case its not clear ?
    Joubert was fully correct to make his decision, whether the decision itself was correct or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

emmet02 wrote: »
    I didn't understand them taking 3 points at 13 points down.

Robshaw said that he felt it was important at that stage to bring the game within two scores. Uh....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

spiralism wrote: »
    Robshaw said that he felt it was important at that stage to bring the game within two scores. Uh....

Think he was asked about taking the points at 19-3 down. That made sense really. Taking them at 19-6 down did not, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

shuffol wrote: »

Yeah noticed that at the time, they were lucky to get the ball away.

I thought that was an example of a number of times in the game when we decided to attack a ruck through the middle really well, not at first arriving, but just to disrupt and pile through when they had observed that England had not committed enough to protecting. I love seeing guys decide, in numbers, that something is on and reacting together, a sign of great coaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

shuffol wrote: »

If I was from elsewhere in Europe, what would really scare me about Henderson is that Joe Schmidt looks at this player and decides he's not worth a starting place. Imagine what he's going to be capable of when he's starting for us regularly, and if that never happens imagine how good the guy ahead of him is going to have to be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

If I was from elsewhere in Europe, what would really scare me about Henderson is that Joe Schmidt looks at this player and decides he's not worth a starting place. Imagine what he's going to be capable of when he's starting for us regularly, and if that never happens imagine how good the guy ahead of him is going to have to be...

I love the end of it as he's just leaving the screen, never slows down, isn't content just to disrupt the ball but wants to bury the opposition into the ground.
    He's become a lot nigglier since coming back from injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It's a serious drive from a tall man.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Henderson would have made one hell of an American football player given his explosive power and agility.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I enjoy just watching Coles on repeat in that clip. I could do it all day.

I enjoy just watching Coles on repeat in that clip. I could do it all day.

Haha me too. And Wigglesworth's disapproving eyes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Good tackle from Moore too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Was a good clearout too, not one of these dangerously stupid exocet missile impressions.

Advertisement