Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is worthwhile changing from diesel SUV to petrol SUV or hybrid

• 16-03-2019 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hi we have an '08 X5 7yrs, can't fault it in any way and doesn't owe us anything. Comfort levels have us spoilt. All our journeys are short (less than 15/20km) once a yr we drive to France and every 2/3 months we drive 200km to visit in-laws. Have only done about 110k km in 7 yrs. My question is in the heading and what wud be people's SUV suggestions, bearing in mind we want the same high level of comfort and extras, have about €30k excluding trade in allowance. It's people's experiences I'm more interested in. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Hi we have an '08 X5 7yrs, can't fault it in any way and doesn't owe us anything. Comfort levels have us spoilt. All our journeys are short (less than 15/20km) once a yr we drive to France and every 2/3 months we drive 200km to visit in-laws. Have only done about 110k km in 7 yrs. My question is in the heading and what wud be people's SUV suggestions, bearing in mind we want the same high level of comfort and extras, have about €30k excluding trade in allowance. It's people's experiences I'm more interested in. TIA

You don't need diesel for starters.

Totally up to you what you want and anything phev or electric won't be a match to what you had as size is huge compared to anything else in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can’t see why you’d change at all, but yeah I probably wouldn’t buy a new diesel. Maybe look at the likes of a used Lexus NX or RX

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Spending 30k to replace something that currently does the job fine makes little or no sense. Keep what you have until it starts giving trouble and costing money to keep on the road would be my opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

bazz26 wrote: »
    Spending 30k to replace something that currently does the job fine makes little or no sense. Keep what you have until it starts giving trouble and costing money to keep on the road would be my opinion.

When it starts giving trouble, though, is when the resale values go down even further and increasing the out of pocket cost of the replacement. If a new vehicle is to be purchased, there is an argument for doing it sooner.

OP, seems to me that a hybrid isn't worth the extra cost, given how little you seem to drive.

Is the resale value of an 11 year old X5 going to drop by 30k if something goes wrong with it? The OP is not going to get value from spending 30k just to avoid the risk of losing money if something goes wrong with their current car. They are simply not using the car enough to make the maths work. It's a bit like the logic of trading up to a new car every 2 years to avoid doing the NCT.

The white elephant in the room is the depreciation on a car that isn't getting used all that much. The OP's current car has already suffered big depreciation whereas going out spending 30k just means the new car gets to depreciate on the OP's driveway for the most part again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

The reasons to change are varied but the value of the Jeep is about €10k trading in approx won't decrease much more. Its the extra costs of an 11yr old, 1500 tax, tyres, fuel economy, getting to the age now where things will start getting expensive to fix.

For whatever reasons you have for changing, saving money will not be one of them.

For whatever reasons you have for changing, saving money will not be one of them.

If I wanted to save money I'd have to walk : ), just trying to reduce my annual costs.

Isn’t reducing annual costs and saving money the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@ Colm_mcm If he wants to change what is the harm? He said himself it does not suit them anymore and not trying to save money but he is trying to reduce his annual cost. Maybe he just wants a change and something newer. What is wrong with that?

@ OP I would say a Lexus RX would be the SUV to look at.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    @ Colm_mcm If he wants to change what is the harm? He said himself it does not suit them anymore and not trying to save money but he is trying to reduce his annual cost. Maybe he just wants a change and something newer. What is wrong with that?

No harm at all, I don’t think I’m saying there’s anything wrong with changing - but spending €30k to save less than €30k doesn’t really reduce cost.

If someone wants a change then fair enough, but the way to spend less money is to spend less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Just trying to understand some of the figures here.

Is the road tax on this car 1.2k?
    And car is possible wortk 10k trade in?

Your looking at a new car value of 40k? (30k + trade value) 10 years younger and a saving of 1k per annum in road tax.

I'm sure the new car is going to have a lot of extras going for it, even though a BMW was probably quite good anyway.

But does it have android auto/car play, USB ports, driving assists, xenon/led lights, daytime lights etc. , and what about the ncap safety rating and improvements compared to 10 years ago?

Spending 30k to reduce annual costs just means spending more money in order to pay less over a longer term.

OP if you want a new car then grand, I would not begrudge anyone buying a new car but your logic about reducing annual costs is flawed.

Spending 30k to reduce annual costs just means spending more money in order to pay less over a longer term.

OP if you want a new car then grand, I would not begrudge anyone buying a new car but your logic about reducing annual costs is flawed.

There is no way to buy a car without making a loss, not for a family of 5.. Car ownership is never a cost saving adventure, but how can u not see reducing my annual costs IS saving money. Saving 800 in tax, get better mpg/km per L, and if I can keep it 7 yrs again surely it'll save me money. Running the X5 into the ground is a worse idea, parts, new set of tyres coming, airbags are know to perish over time.. these costs are coming and I'm trying to stay ahead of it as any cost conscious owner would be..

If you see spending 30k plus whatever interest you have to pay on it as saving you money annually then good luck to you.

As they say on Dragon's Den, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Any logical bean counter will tell you it's far cheaper to drive on than buying a new SUV.
    If the op wants to buy then that's fine, there's no law against it. But to justify it by saying they're saving money is bollocks. Excuse my French.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Is the resale value of an 11 year old X5 going to drop by 30k if something goes wrong with it? The OP is not going to get value from spending 30k just to avoid the risk of losing money if something goes wrong with their current car. They are simply not using the car enough to make the maths work. It's a bit like the logic of trading up to a new car every 2 years to avoid doing the NCT.

The white elephant in the room is the depreciation on a car that isn't getting used all that much. The OP's current car has already suffered big depreciation whereas going out spending 30k just means the new car gets to depreciate on the OP's driveway for the most part again.

You appear to have misinterpreted my comment. The OP apparently wants a new car, and will spend some 30k to aquire it. If the money is to be spent anyway, getting an additional thousand or two by selling the current vehicle before it starts breaking down will reduce the financial lay that needs to be put out to get the new $30k vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

With the majority of your driving being short distances have you thought about an Outlander PHEV?

Your 15-20km runs would be on electric. Low tax. Reduced tolls. It's a big car and has some gadgets at the higher spec.

Having never been in an X5 I will take a guess and say that it wouldn't be as refined as your X5 but I may be wrong.

I picked one up recently and am very happy with it. Might be worth a look.

Dev1234 wrote: »
    With the majority of your driving being short distances have you thought about an Outlander PHEV?

Your 15-20km runs would be on electric. Low tax. Reduced tolls. It's a big car and has some gadgets at the higher spec.

Having never been in an X5 I will take a guess and say that it wouldn't be as refined as your X5 but I may be wrong.

I picked one up recently and am very happy with it. Might be worth a look.

I see alot of them up for resale which I found worrying, not having driven one I wondered was it people bought them under the wrong info for what they required. Spec wise it will be hard match what we have in the x5 for what we can spend.

A lob of outlanders in the uk would be company cars so would be replaced after a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The Outlander would be going backwards from the comfort of what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The amount of interest on that 30k plus will be a pretty penny too! If you plan on selling it privately, put up a speculative ad on donedeal. Many people buy new car first then try to sell and would never have changed if they knew how little they would actually get for their current car ...

You’ll likely be paying a lot more to get a lot less car in my opinion!

Advertisement