Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai i40 boot not opening

Options
  • 13-03-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Anyone have an issue with hyundai boot not opening? Mine is intermittently not opening I have to get in through the car into the boot to manually release it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,697 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

redcard wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Anyone have an issue with hyundai boot not opening? Mine is intermittently not opening I have to get in through the car into the boot to manually release it

Long-press the boot switch on the tailgate for 10-12 seconds, it'll reset the lock and might sort your issue

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Sticking switch.
    Try removing the two screws in the rubber over the switch. Take the switch out and clean it. Water gets in there and stops it releasing after you press it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DaveSnelson

Hi all - having taken great care to remove the switch from the tailgate, here is what I found. Find another two screws in stainless, the ones provided are near useless. Once out, leave connected to the white and black wires. The blue microswitch can be gently prized out using a small electrical screwdriver and left dangling from the wires. I think you'll find if you test the microswitch on its own, it will work, so its the mechanicals that are at fault. That then reveals the rust! The rust caused by the button return spring which has gone completely rusty. The problem isn't the switch not actuating; its the spring not releasing the switch when you let it go. Take it all to pieces by gently prizing apart with electrical screwdriver and remove the rusty spring - a great, same size replacement can be found inside a pop-out ball-point pen. Vaseline the assembly with the new spring and reassemble. If the spring is a tad too long, clip it slightly shorter with pliers. Reassemble with new screws and test extensively. I was lucky, mine worked first time. It took about an hour and saved £120 for the new switch plus another £100 for labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bonawho

Hello everyone. Newbie here. Just wanted to echo DaveSnelson post about fixing the boot catch switch on my i40 estate. Like Dave says the problem was caused by water ingress, and rust. Removed the switch (with some difficulty as I didn't have an angled screwdriver, which you will need as the screws are very hard to get at. On the estate anyway) , took it all apart, cleaned it, noticed the return spring was rusty and broken, and followed Daves advice about the pen spring. Mine fitted perfectly. Ingenious little hack, thanks Dave!! Put it all back together and it works like new. I expect water will still get in in the future, but now I know to check it from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kamouchiface4

Thank you so much guys. Spot on about everything. Spring mechanism full off water and full of rust. I hope this helps so many people as it did for me. I'll attach a few pics of the parts.

The spring from a biro also did the trick of replacing old one and changed them flipping screws too that were in bits with rust!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Coupes

Where are the screws situated in the rubber cover ,I can't locate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Coupes

I found out how to take the panelling off 4 screws quite easy when you have a good look 2 in the boot handle and 2 under to plastic round caps either side ,I've taken boot lock out can't see anything broken seemed a little bit wet so we use a hair dryer on it , anyone else have any suggestions it did flatten a brand new battery anyone had this problem on the forum.

Advertisement