Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota "self-charging" hybrids

Options

Comments

+ most of the fuel is cleaner Gas and electrics emit no particles , Nox, PM etc when driving in towns and cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No, the link shows the current mix of energy on the grid right now which is 67% of our total energy needs right now being met with wind alone.

So we're way over the commitment of 40% renewable electricity by 2020?

Thought we were no where near it my bad.

Is that directed at me ? I wasn't aware if I suggested but if we generated 30% in 2018 and we're allowing 10% more "capacity" on the grid we're not doing too bad.

The Government can't wave a magic wand, sure they could do more but you can't turn the whole island into a big wind farm either , as I said we need solar PV but this is not even on the governments agenda.

The other issue I see or potential issue is the switch to electric cars will mean a lot more energy will be needed in the years to come.

We're not given money for feeding to the grid so solar pv is not very practical yet and there isn't even a hint but when there is I will get solar PV.

Energy companies need to invest more in Irish wind and solar PV the government cant just go out and set up wind farms or tell people they must install wind energy and/or solar PV.

If the Irish Government were in the business of installing wind farms they would cost 10 times as they would be giving contracts to friends at the taxpayers expense......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

+ most of the fuel is cleaner Gas and electrics emit no particles , Nox, PM etc when driving in towns and cities.

Electric cars are about 70 odd% efficient factoring in grid, inverter and motor losses. This will get better over time as technology develops.
    Electricity from renewables is increasing year on year too.

Petrol & diesel are about 20-30% efficient with fuel and that's as far as they're likely to get.
    When you factor in the energy needed to actually extract, refine and transport the fuel it's not even worth the comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

What are Toyota supposed to do?

They have to recoup billions they have invested in efficient ICE tech

Hopefully they will run these engines on biofuel/synthetic fuel in the future, they can advertise self charging then.

If incentives were pulled by every government the electric car would be dead again tomorrow

They can't compete with ICE without huge incentives and massive taxation on fossil fuel, tax dirty electricity the same as fossil fuel and see costs rise

Toyota dont believe EVs are ready, hard to argue with them when the average car is sold for 20k

Replacing the engine with an electric motor and fuel tank with a battery costs 10k alone

20k electric cars are impossible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

No, as I understand it now, 40% is a yearly average target. The 70% figure shown in the link above, is just an any-given-moment figure, so will be higher on windy days, lower in the summer etc. A 70% yearly average by 2030 would be a serious achievement, and you'd like to imagine that by then, the charging infrastructure will be significantly better across the country, making EV's massively attractive, and hugely beneficial/far less damaging to the environment than traditional ICE's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Mike9832 wrote: »
    What are Toyota supposed to do?

20k electric cars are impossible

Compete like everyone else. They're trying to market themselves out of their situation. Japan has made a huge investment in hydrogen, but the world hasn't followed.

20k cars are impossible right now, and probably for at least the next 5-10 years, but ICE has had 100 years of development and investment and huge scale.
    The price of an entry BEV will continue to fall.

Be interesting to see battery recycling tech develop and see if it lowers the cost of a battery pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,773 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Inviere wrote: »
    No, as I understand it now, 40% is a yearly average target. The 70% figure shown in the link above, is just an any-given-moment figure, so will be higher on windy days

You understand it right!
    Inviere wrote: »
    A 70% yearly average by 2030 would be a serious achievement

I disagree. We should be at 150-200% by 2030. And this is far easier to achieve than most people think.

As a small example, my own solar PV panels installed at a relatively low cost (around the EUR2.5k mark, haven't done the exact sums on it yet) already produce more electricity per year than the average household in Ireland uses.

Free Bitcoins?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Energy, all of it. Not just electricity. And it's 16%, a target we're going to miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

dEWF6glG.jpg

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

ofcork wrote: »
    Or the one who only fills her chr every 3 weeks!

My wife went last 4 weeks without refuelling her petrol car.

She only did 500km.

It's a really stupid ad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

mad m wrote: »
    Have a Yaris hybrid. Great little car for in and around town, it does make you think when putting pressure on pedal as you don’t want the engine to kick in. Motorway driving as it’s a 1.5L it’s a gas guzzler.

If I stay around 60klm or just under I get battery for good bit before engine kicks in. Engine does as it should kick in sooner once aircon etc is being used.

These new hybrids at 1.8 or 2 litre engines must be fuel hungry as well, even more so than the Yaris. I fill the Yaris up around 3-4 weeks at around 35-40 blips.

And I filled my car 3 times since last Sunday. Because I drove 1800km.
    A number of weeks per fill is not a unit of measurement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

And I filled my car 3 times since last Sunday. Because I drove 1800km.
    A number of weeks per fill is not a unit of measurement!!

I agree. I also hate when people say "It cost X euro to go to Dublin". Just say the amount of litres, the cost changes weekly.

Compete like everyone else. They're trying to market themselves out of their situation. Japan has made a huge investment in hydrogen, but the world hasn't followed.

20k cars are impossible right now, and probably for at least the next 5-10 years, but ICE has had 100 years of development and investment and huge scale.
    The price of an entry BEV will continue to fall.

Be interesting to see battery recycling tech develop and see if it lowers the cost of a battery pack.

How much can it realistically fall?

Its not even the 20k market, the rich are a tough sale too

Look at Jaguar struggling to sell the I-Pace in the States

Tesla demand dropping already there

https://electrek.co/2019/02/16/jaguar-i-pace-financing-deal/

That's with a big incentive package for Jag, Tesla used most of its one

Governments will have to kill ICE through taxation for the EV to succeed, it can't compete otherwise

Fine for Norway but we cant afford to have revenue drop from fossil fuel sales at the pump and at the same time give out 10k subsidy for new EVs

If anyone wants an EV they should buy soon imo

We sold like 130k cars last year

If EV reached even 10% of that, which by late 20/21 should happen imo with VW going big

Thats 1.3 billion government is out of pocket

Thats not going to last

Say it does hit 13,000 sales here by 2020/21

Let's say those 13,000 would be filling up by 40 liters pw with diesel on average. That's a loss of about €14.4 million a year in tax on Diesel.
    There's probably another .5 million in road tax. Then we have the downturn in economic activity around cars which will cost jobs, that's 13,000 cars that don't need an oil change. That's only about 80 mechanics that will lose their Jobs, that's only about 800k in dole payments for a year.

Where are you getting a 1.3 billion of a loss from?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Say it does hit 13,000 sales here by 2020/21

Let's say those 13,000 would be filling up by 40 liters pw with diesel on average. That's a loss of about €14.4 million a year in tax on Diesel.
    There's probably another .5 million in road tax. Then we have the downturn in economic activity around cars which will cost jobs, that's 13,000 cars that don't need an oil change. That's only about 80 mechanics that will lose their Jobs, that's only about 800k in dole payments for a year.

Where are you getting a 1.3 billion of a loss from?

~€130m in grants for 13k EVs. What you have described are additional losses on top of that.

Not sure where he got €1.3b... probably got a decimal place wrong.

Only a few years left in the grants, imo, as €130m isn’t small change either.

I'd imagine fines for breeches of emissions won't be cheap either and our transport sector accounts for significant pollution.

20 Billion I think it was has been allocated to improve the public charging situation but a law should be passed making garages install chargers like they did in the U.K.

KCross wrote: »
    ~€130m in grants for 13k EVs. What you have described are additional losses on top of that.

Not sure where he got €1.3b... probably got a decimal place wrong.

Only a few years left in the grants, imo, as €130m isn’t small change either.

My bad

€130m

Still a decent chunk for only 10% of sales

20 Billion I think it was has been allocated to improve the public charging situation but a law should be passed making garages install chargers like they did in the U.K.

Most here thinks its a stupid idea

Think it's a great idea myself, huge Canadian service station group Petro are installing 50 of them

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/02/13/petro-canada-canadian-coast-to-coast-ev-charging/

Those god awful franchises like Circle K, Maxol etc should be made put them in anyway

• Advertisement

Edit: there wasn't 20 Billion allocated for charge points it was 20 million ! lol

Harris hasn't a patch on ye.

Most here thinks its a stupid idea

Think it's a great idea myself, huge Canadian service station group Petro are installing 50 of them

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/02/13/petro-canada-canadian-coast-to-coast-ev-charging/

Those god awful franchises like Circle K, Maxol etc should be made put them in anyway

Yeah it's baffling why Garages won't install charge points , the new/upgraded garages on the N7 had the perfect opportunity but not a charge point in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yeah it's baffling why Garages won't install charge points , the new/upgraded garages on the N7 had the perfect opportunity but not a charge point in sight.

Not baffling at all really.... no money in it.
    The outlay for the grid upgrade to ESB and then the cost of the rapid and ongoing maintenance. It makes no financial sense to add one off your own back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

A quick review of the IEVOA website and if I was building a garage I wouldn't let it near it

between the hourly posts about other electric cars blocking the charger, to the 2 hourly posts about someone complaining because it was blocked by petrol/diesel car, and then the 3 hourly posting because a PHEV has plugged in

Why would anyone bother? you would have staff blocked up all day trying to manage the bloody thing. Then everyone complaining at you about the cost per kWH....

Even if you did install the charger a lot of people dont have the manners to even put it back correctly and cause huge damage to it. Ask Nissan if you don't believe me....

The fact the IEVOA website is open to anyone search's does more damage than good. I have stopped posting on it because it shows up on my timeline. Then my friend would go in and see page after page of the above....why would anyone change to electric?

Haha Funny,

I have to say I'm really glad I no longer have a facebook account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

ForestFire wrote: »
    Just notified of this review from one of my favourite car review channels. What a coincidence :-)

https://youtu.be/tI9vx7vtNas

Anyone else notice what seems to be terrible paint work on that Corolla? Orange peel anyone?

473419.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How much can it realistically fall?

Its not even the 20k market, the rich are a tough sale too

Look at Jaguar struggling to sell the I-Pace in the States

Tesla demand dropping already there

https://electrek.co/2019/02/16/jaguar-i-pace-financing-deal/

That's with a big incentive package for Jag, Tesla used most of its one

Governments will have to kill ICE through taxation for the EV to succeed, it can't compete otherwise

Fine for Norway but we cant afford to have revenue drop from fossil fuel sales at the pump and at the same time give out 10k subsidy for new EVs

If anyone wants an EV they should buy soon imo

We sold like 130k cars last year

If EV reached even 10% of that, which by late 20/21 should happen imo with VW going big

Thats 1.3 billion government is out of pocket

Thats not going to last

Jaguar just announced they are thinking about swapping all lines to electric after the huge success of the i-Pace

Electric is in early days, the uptake will coincide with the main manufacturers release patterns which is from 2020 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

TBi wrote: »
    I hate these attacking ads. Electric cars can’t satisfy everyone’s needs and these hybrids are more environmentally friendly than a diesel or petrol.

What do these ad makers want us to do? Drive a dirty diesel just because the hybrid tech isn’t perfect?

Why don’t we all just drive gas guzzling v8’s cuz what’s the point in a more efficient car anyway?

A brilliant idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭creedp

Same with new garage at the City North Hotel on M1

Advertisement