Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skoda Kodiaq or Jeep Grand Cherokee

• 12-01-2019 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭

I know they are not really all that comparable as one is a 3L while the other a 2L, however the spend involved is the same in this instance, 40 k for a 2018 two litre kodiaq 190 bhp style model v a 2015 grand cherokee overland, the jeep is 22k sterling but VRT is huge and brings the whole thing to 40 k

Leaning towards the grand cherokee as its bigger and with more power

The jeep has 30k miles on it where as the Kodiaq has 13k miles, it's a demo with a Skoda dealer, Charles Hurst has the grand cherokee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

You’ll lose a fortune on the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Kodiaq times a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Jeep are just terrible.

13k miles is a lot for a demo model.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sounds rental to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Rkcorry

The lather will have 37% vrt and in excess of 2500 road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

MarkN wrote: »
    You’ll lose a fortune on the second one.

Really, don't think so, it's already lost a tonne in three years

colm_mcm wrote: »
    13k miles is a lot for a demo model.

Dealers wife drove it throughout 2018

Jeep are just terrible.

Your thinking of the pre 2011 ones which had duff Mercedes engines, the grand cherokee post 2011 is completely different to the kind of dross they were making ten years ago, all fiat engines now, I think its the coolest looking jeep in its class, way nicer than a landcruiser or Land rover discovery

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Really, don't think so

You really will lose your hole on one. Nobody wants Jeeps in Ireland, and it’s €2350 €1200 tax in a world of SUVs on €200 tax.

• Advertisement

Rkcorry wrote: »
    The lather will have 37% vrt and in excess of 2500 road tax.

Yes VRT is huge but road tax is 1200 per annum

You really will lose your hole on one. Nobody wants Jeeps in Ireland, and it’s €2350 €1200 tax in a world of SUVs on €200 tax.

Your wrong about 2300, it's 1200, even the road tax on wrangler is back down to 1200, it was 2300 but the grand cherokee wasn't

I'd be planning on keeping ten years, have a landcruiser since 2008

What will it be used for? As you know, they’re very different machines. The Skoda is more polished, but obviously the Jeep will be more capable in other areas.

What will it be used for? As you know, they’re very different machines. The Skoda is more polished, but obviously the Jeep will be more capable in other areas.

I drove the kodiaq today and liked it but its pretty conventional and unexciting, I think the Grand cherokee is a far cooler looking machine

I occasionally toe a trailer but both can manage that, the jeep is 247 bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I know they are not really all that comparable as one is a 3L while the other a 2L, however the spend involved is the same in this instance, 40 k for a 2018 two litre kodiaq 190 bhp style model v a 2015 grand cherokee overland, the jeep is 22k sterling but VRT is huge and brings the whole thing to 40 k

Leaning towards the grand cherokee as its bigger and with more power

The jeep has 30k miles on it where as the Kodiaq has 13k miles, it's a demo with a Skoda dealer, Charles Hurst has the grand cherokee

I'd have the Kodiaq, the Jeep is the sort of yoke you will always regret buying - whether it's the drive or the longer term reliability.

Only thing really to note in particular with the Kodiaq is that it will have adblue which is a pain.

Id still have it over the Jeep though.

I drove the kodiaq today and liked it but its pretty conventional and unexciting, I think the Grand cherokee is a far cooler looking machine

I occasionally toe a trailer but both can manage that, the jeep is 247 bhp

The Jeep has more bhp, but it’s also 600kg heavier, so there’s only 0.2 seconds in the difference for the 0-60.

Worth pointing out the the range of both cars is roughly the same, but the Skoda has a 60l tank, and the Jeep has 93l, so the Jeep will (on paper anyway) use 50% more fuel.

I agree, the Jeep is cool, and it’s something different. Logically though, it isn’t the right tool for the job. The dealer network is small, the running costs are higher, the resale value (even after 10 years) will be significantly less, and though the newer GC is much safer than previous generations, you’re still talking about an 8 year old model.

Old diesel wrote: »
    I'd have the Kodiaq, the Jeep is the sort of yoke you will always regret buying - whether it's the drive or the longer term reliability.

Only thing really to note in particular with the Kodiaq is that it will have adblue which is a pain.

Id still have it over the Jeep though.

I drive an 08 landcruiser and find the ride fine so I doubt the grand cherokee is any worse, its not a pick up truck we are comparing with here

The jeep does not sell well down here but they do in Northern Ireland and everywhere else including Australia, reliability may not be at Toyota landcruiser standard but its certainly above Land rover

Jeep were junk but have come on leaps and bounds since fiat took over, transmission is German

The Jeep has more bhp, but it’s also 600kg heavier, so there’s only 0.2 seconds in the difference for the 0-60.

Worth pointing out the the range of both cars is roughly the same, but the Skoda has a 60l tank, and the Jeep has 93l, so the Jeep will (on paper anyway) use 50% more fuel.

I agree, the Jeep is cool, and it’s something different. Logically though, it isn’t the right tool for the job. The dealer network is small, the running costs are higher, the resale value (even after 10 years) will be significantly less, and though the newer GC is much safer than previous generations, you’re still talking about an 8 year old model.

It's difficult to know the resale as so few are sold here but any post 2011 I've seen for sale are not cheaper than the likes of the discovery.

If you can imagine trying to buy an 05 one now (I know that’d be old model now, but run with me!) Then compare something with small tax like the 2008 equivalent of Kodiaq (Say a Qashqai +2 or something, even though the Skoda is bigger) you’re talking roughly €6-7k today for the Nissan and maybe €2-3k for the Jeep.

The likes of yourself will buy the Jeep today because the annual tax is only a tiny portion of the value of the car. Once they get a bit older, nobody wants to pay the big tax and that’s where it falls down. Big SUVs are gradually becoming more accessible to the masses in terms of fuel economy or running costs. The Jeep will be a dinosaur in 10 years, and anyone looking for a dinosaur will prefer the more obvious choices. There may be no dealer network left for FCA in 5 years for example.

If you can imagine trying to buy an 05 one now (I know that’d be old model now, but run with me!) Then compare something with small tax like the 2008 equivalent of Kodiaq (Say a Qashqai +2 or something, even though the Skoda is bigger) you’re talking roughly €6-7k today for the Nissan and maybe €2-3k for the Jeep.

The likes of yourself will buy the Jeep today because the annual tax is only a tiny portion of the value of the car. Once they get a bit older, nobody wants to pay the big tax and that’s where it falls down. Big SUVs are gradually becoming more accessible to the masses in terms of fuel economy or running costs. The Jeep will be a dinosaur in 10 years, and anyone looking for a dinosaur will prefer the more obvious choices. There may be no dealer network left for FCA in 5 years for example.

How do you make any valid past comparison when the jeep grand cherokee of old bears no relation whatsoever to the grand cherokee since 2011?

The one I'm looking at is a 2015 and is more advanced than the 2011 but both have fiat engines, not one of the worst ever merc engines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

For 40k I'd look for a 3 year old Touareg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I think you've already decided which you want.

How do you make any valid past comparison when the jeep grand cherokee of old bears no relation whatsoever to the grand cherokee since 2011?

The one I'm looking at is a 2015 and is more advanced than the 2011 but both have fiat engines, not one of the worst ever merc engines

The comparison is there because in 10 years time, the Jeep you’re looking at will be old-hat too, the tax thing will be even harder to swallow than it is now, and people will still be looking for economical 7 seater SUVs, Skoda continues to rise as a brand and barring something very unlikely happening in the next few years, 10 year old Kodiaqs will be hot property.

If you love the Jeep then you should disregard all the posts on this thread because all that really matters is you buy what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

€40k to spend on an SUV and the best option you can come up with is a 4 year old Jeep? You need your head checked tbh.

Another poster suggested a Touareg. That’s where my money would be going also. Absolutely 100% better in every way than the Jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Theres no comparison between a grand cherokee and a kodiaq . A cherokee is a serious jeep with a lot of status in majorities of countries except Ireland and a Kodaiq is a cheaper version of a Touareg which is just a fancy SUV .I can't understand the love for skoda here , 10 /15 yrs ago no one wanted to be seen in one and now people for some reason think of it as a luxury brand.
    If you pick on the basis of running cost and resale the Kodiaq is the winner but if you choose on capabilities and comfort it would have to be the cherokee

€40k to spend on an SUV and the best option you can come up with is a 4 year old Jeep? You need your head checked tbh.

Another poster suggested a Touareg. That’s where my money would be going also. Absolutely 100% better in every way than the Jeep.

How much do you think a four year old Toyota landcruiser or Land rover discovery are?, they are about 45 k and with not near the spec of a jeep grand cherokee overland

A VW touareg is not in the same league as a jeep grand cherokee, they are also dull as dushwater and ugly as sin, I personally think that the kodiaq is good value but no VAG group cars excite me on any level truth be told, prefer skoda to vw however as at least they are cheaper

You haven't a breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

How much do you think a four year old Toyota landcruiser or Land rover discovery are?, they are about 45 k and with not near the spec of a jeep grand cherokee overland

A VW touareg is not in the same league as a jeep grand cherokee, they are also dull as dushwater and ugly as sin, I personally think that the kodiaq is good value but no VAG group cars excite me on any level truth be told, prefer skoda to vw however as at least they are cheaper

You haven't a breeze

You are clearly trolling. I’m out.

scwazrh wrote: »
    Theres no comparison between a grand cherokee and a kodiaq . A cherokee is a serious jeep with a lot of status in majorities of countries except Ireland and a Kodaiq is a cheaper version of a Touareg which is just a fancy SUV .I can't understand the love for skoda here , 10 /15 yrs ago no one wanted to be seen in one and now people for some reason think of it as a luxury brand.
    If you pick on the basis of running cost and resale the Kodiaq is the winner but if you choose on capabilities and comfort it would have to be the cherokee

I might still go for the Skoda but little really excites me about the car though I like the Unpretentious design admittedly, in terms of performance, no comparison however

You are clearly trolling. I’m out.

"trolling"

At least come up with something somewhat original, if you think a vw touareg is superior to a jeep grand cherokee, you have a lot to learn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I might still go for the Skoda but little really excites me about the car though I like the Unpretentious design admittedly, in terms of performance, no comparison however

If i had to choose to buy one of them with my own money it would be the kodiaq but if i was offered a company car that someone else was going to pay to run I would jump at the cherokee

Advertisement