Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Dartz

Not sure if incipent spun bearing, or exhaust blow or what..... but that odd drone noise wasn't there last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Saw a 10 D Citroen Xsara pic-my-asso the other day, after looking it up I never realised they assembled them up to 2010 in the UK and are still assembled in Egypt (although I have yet to find prices for a new one)

Also thought no one would be dim enough to buy and import them in 2010 :p

There were 38 regged here in 2010, but none in 2008 or 2009, they must have been stashing them somewhere!

I saw a 2011 Sligo reg one outside the Terenure classic car show a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Porsche doing more testing up in the nw today. Passed a few in convoy, guessing it was the new panamera or something. Followed by a cayenne or whatever it's called. All on foreign plates. Then I passed an rs7 and an f30 m3 both in their respective stand out blue paint.
    Pretty nice selection of cars to pass on the drive home. Not surprising not one registered in Ireland mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Seems my P0011 code looks to be a failing VANOS unit on bank 1. I've ordered a rebuild kit for both banks from the US so will get those fitted as soon as they land. Hopefully an end to that issue and the common M62 "Diesel" knocking sound. Planning on getting the wheels refurbished in Shadow Chrome at the same time too :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Thinking about buying a used car and I want to check the history.

I had a look at the free versions of a few of them and motorcheck.ie seems to offer the most.

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the different websites or is any of them better than the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I found Cartell the best of the lot, gave me very detailed history of a UK car I was buying. Not too expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Does anyone know of a good mechanic in Ennis?

Preferably, I would like someone who knows BMWs, as I want them to look at a car before I buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

farna_boy wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good mechanic in Ennis?

Preferably, I would like someone who knows BMWs, as I want them to look at a car before I buy it.

Charlie McEnery has a good rep as a garage. Not overly cheap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I hear great things about Ben O Brien aka the dpf doctor in Newmarket. He is very well regarded in the BMW forums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Folks, am i alone in having constant issues with donedeal?

Constantly having issues where the pages won't load, or i have to keep refreshing them to get them to load up, or such. All other sites on the interweb seem to be running perfectly fine. It's got me puzzled. Been going on ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Constantly having issues where the pages won't load, or i have to keep refreshing them to get them to load up, or such. All other sites on the interweb seem to be running perfectly fine. It's got me puzzled. Been going on ages now.

Yep I've a rake of issues with it, ranging from pics not loading to it taking a feckin age to load my saved ads and a few more niggles. Most issues tend to crop up when using the android
    App.

I've sh1te internet though so how much of the blame is at done deals end is anyone's guess

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anytime I'm on it it is fine though I don't be on it much. I might have a quick browse at some stage in the evening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Woot woot! For the first time in 3 years my insurance finally went down!

Got renewal for 1070eu like last year, but I noticed they had diesel ibiza from 1999-2000 in description, instead of ibiza cupra. Reg and year were right though.
    My broker is really good, so she requested new documents and quote from Zurich and it came back this morning. Its down to 995eu! I know its still stupid, but I am finally under 1k! In my fecking 30s++ :pac: Really happy.

Funny part is 1.9SDI with 64hp apparently is more dangerous then 1.8t with 192hp. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

There was a time when the magic age for insurance dropping was 25, then it went up to 30....now it's non existent.

There was a time when the magic age for insurance dropping was 25, then it went up to 30....now it's non existent.

I think that number always was a random, depending on your age when you call.
    Called to insure clk200 when I was 22 - you have to be 25...
    Called to insure mx5 when I was 27 - you have to be 30...
    If at some point I will call in and will be told, that I have to be 40, I will just tell them to **** off and they can use it for training purposes.

Having to be a certain age is stupid. If someone is 24 and had been driving on their own insurance etc. since they were 18 they have a lot more experience than a 30 year old who only started driving at 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Have to agree with that. I know someone who had been driving about ten years, still in their 20s, added their girlfriend who was learning to drive and it lowered the premium.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Have to agree with that. I know someone who had been driving about ten years, still in their 20s, added their girlfriend who was learning to drive and it lowered the premium.

I wonder if I just get my misses to do theory test and slap her on my insurance. She is 35 too.

• Advertisement

vintagevrs wrote: »

I tried adding my girlfriend when renewing in December and it made no difference at all. That works on the risk being spread across 2 people I think but at least it didn't go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I was told the same, I threw on my parents and it went up a load. Sure insurance is a complete random number generator :confused:

I had the exact opposite experience. Putting the parents on as named drivers was cheaper than having just myself on the policy. It just goes to show how insurance is different for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I had the exact opposite experience. Putting the parents on as named drivers was cheaper than having just myself on the policy. It just goes to show how insurance is different for everyone.

Same with me, having my parents as name drivers dropped it by about €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Parents are on my current liberty policy renewal was €1055. I declared my mother had just got 3 penalty points that brought it up to €1100 so I said take here off it which brought it too €1150 :confused: so then I said I can get it with Aviva for €840 with my Mum off it and they said the best they could do way €1080. Guess I will be going with Aviva.

Whole thing is fairly random Aviva quote was 1020 with my Mum on it with points but policy with open driving over 25 allowing people with points to drive it €980 :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Mondeo had its 12th service today. Book stamped, fsh kept up to date and onwards for another year!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Any known issues with an E90 318i auto? Parents are considering one and I don't know much about BMWs.

Any known issues with an E90 318i auto? ..............

Auto box isn't a weak point.
    N46 engines can experience plastic chain guide rail issues but there's so few of them about relative to diesel variants it's hard to know if it's a common issue or not.

If it sounds ok at pre purchase inspection it'll likely be fine IMO.

Sow the new VW T roc on the road yesterday. Looks nice. Is just me or theu look lower in front then in a back? Kind of annoying.

Its based on golf and can be gotten with 1.5tsi petrol in highest spec for around 33. Not bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement