Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

colm_mcm wrote: »
    After the Honda and how lucky I was with that, I am still skeptical.

I know it was the previous model but the one my parents had for 5 years literally caused no issues they didn't spend a cent on it outside of tyres and servicing and at that it was just basic major/minor servicing. They really are a great car and that was the 1.6TDI the 2.0TDI is considered to be more reliable. Although I know you Civic has set the bar high.

How do you find the diesel engine to live with power wise it is probably fine but does it being a lot noisier around town/at low speeds bother you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

CIP4 wrote: »
    I know it was the previous model but the one my parents had for 5 years literally caused no issues they didn't spend a cent on it outside of tyres and servicing and at that it was just basic major/minor servicing. They really are a great car and that was the 1.6TDI the 2.0TDI is considered to be more reliable. Although I know you Civic has set the bar high.

How do you find the diesel engine to live with power wise it is probably fine but does it being a lot noisier around town/at low speeds bother you ?

I find it very easy to live with around town to be honest. The civic was probably just as noisy at low speeds, and even though the Skoda is on 18s and the Honda was on 16s, the ride comfort is better, and there is more suspension travel so speed bumps aren’t crashy.
    I do miss the Honda though, it was a lot more engaging and chuckable - and despite the Clarkson rhetoric that that generation Civic was a load of crap because it doesn’t have IRS, it was still an enjoyable car to hustle along a backroad.
    My son loves it, but he misses the panoramic roof for plane watching!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I find it very easy to live with around town to be honest. The civic was probably just as noisy at low speeds, and even though the Skoda is on 18s and the Honda was on 16s, the ride comfort is better, and there is more suspension travel so speed bumps aren’t crashy.
    I do miss the Honda though, it was a lot more engaging and chuckable - and despite the Clarkson rhetoric that that generation Civic was a load of crap because it doesn’t have IRS, it was still an enjoyable car to hustle along a backroad.
    My son loves it, but he misses the panoramic roof for plane watching!

Would you notice much difference in running costs ? Civic was quite economical though yes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Dartz

Cold outside.

Cold enough to water the eyes of everyone following in traffic behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would you notice much difference in running costs ? Civic was quite economical though yes ?

Yeah, it’s quite noticeable, the Skoda is averaging 50mpg for the typical mixed driving I do, where the Honda was doing 38mpg. That’s a 30% improvement, plus the fuel itself is 8% cheaper.
    I don’t really feel the difference in the commute, I’m certainly putting less in, but it’s on longer journeys that you notice how much farther you can go on a tank (tank is quite small in both the civic and Octavia)
    I can tax the Octavia for the same kind of money as 3 months on the Civic.

I think I’ve done 12k since I got it, so I might have saved €300 in fuel. Servicing will gobble that up I’d imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Anyone think 5.5k is a good or bad price for a low mileage 08 177bhp e90 pre lci m sport auto with chain supposedly done ? People I speak to seem to have different opinions on prices. Likewise with the e60s some 08/09 m sports are going from anything between €4.5k - +€8k for ones under 160k miles. 3.0l seem to be going for around €7k and beyond. Not really sure what's good value for money tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't know if anyone caught this, but GM have announced they will, for the first time, be building right-hand-drive Corvettes from the factory.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1124143_chevy-corvette-to-go-global-with-right-hand-drive-production

It's an astonishing car for the money, and being mid-engined, has proven quite controversial amongst the die-hards. Early reviews are very promising.

On other speedy matters, some blokes just did the Cannonball Run (New York to LA) in under 28 hours, an average speed of 103mph/165 kmh.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a30085091/these-guys-just-drove-an-e63-amg-across-america-in-a-record-27-hours-25-minutes/

They received no tickets. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a30136497/cannonball-record-police-countermeasures/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That Corvettte looks bloody good and remarkably well priced for what it is. I'm very impressed by it. GM have big economies of scale, but it shows up the fancier brands for their big money cars that are similar. If it turns out to be a good car it'll show them up even more. It might be today's version of the Honda NSX when it came out and showed up the Italians for being ropily built unreliable rustbuckets. Which in turn made the Italians up their game so all good.

I gather the RHD was partially in response to the Australian and Japanese market where apparently Vettes have a large fanbase. Plus I gather it's slightly easier to do a RHD and LHD in a mid engined car?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Great news in theory but in reality it will be beyond our reach. An entry level Stang or Camaro are the equivalent of €20k in the US and cq. €50k here. Fook knows how much we would end up paying for a Vette

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just back from the NCT. Failed on a few things. Anti roll bar bushing and parking light bulbs are blue. They passed the last 3 times with them bulbs so I don't know why. Fogs are on all time lights are on so failed on that also passed last few times also.

And the maddest one he put a bar/rob/screwdriver through the rear chassis. It is a bit rusty but this smart guy decides to smash it through. I just had a look now and you can still see the indentation of where he busted it through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Drove a brand new Chevy Tahoe in the states recently. 5.3 V8.

Good engine, guzzler of course but even more so than the Ford V8 which got much better MPG !

Was happy enough with the Chevy, but could be seen on the inside the build quality was no where near that of Ford ! Cheap plastics, bad seats (leather, electric, heated but collapsing on the sides from getting in and out)

Suspension not as comfortable as the F150 somehow I thought too.

But anyway, like previously said. It may only be 20dd grand in states but by the time it gets here it'll be well over 50K

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

To be fair if he could force a screwdriver through metal he was either incredibly strong or the metal was very weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

ba_barabus wrote: »
    To be fair if he could force a screwdriver through metal he was either incredibly strong or the metal was very weak.

He was strong alright. Sure when I handed him the key him he squashed a can of spinach right into his mouth and done mad motions and his arms grew.

I was like f**k me this ****s going to wreck the car.

Ah no all joking aside he did bust it through but as you said it would have been weak enough but honestly he still did force it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The metal will be weak for sure but they are going to town on poking holes in cills and arches that are pretty borderline.

Everything has gone very strict since the rule changes last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The last time I'd one of my older cars in for the test, the fecker was hitting the floor with a screwdriver and hammer. Put the car on the lift when I got home and you could see about 8 small dents in the floor

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Good engine, guzzler of course but even more so than the Ford V8 which got much better MPG !

Was happy enough with the Chevy, but could be seen on the inside the build quality was no where near that of Ford ! Cheap plastics, bad seats (leather, electric, heated but collapsing on the sides from getting in and out)

Sortof. Being the flagship model Chevy put some serious effort into the C7 Corvette. It still wasn't excactly Porsche or Audi interior, but it also was far better than the rest of the product lineup. It would appear they've done it even more with this one, it came in as Motor Trend's Car of the Year, saying the last car which shook up the motoring world like this was the Tesla Model S.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-corvette-c8-2020-car-of-the-year/

We were also equally surprised at the Corvette's high-quality cabin. To be blunt: Corvette interiors have been nasty, low-quality dens of cheapness and weird smells since 1984. With always-terrible seats, too. That's the truth. With history as my witness, I was expecting more of the same. To keep the price as low as Chevy has promised, you'd think corners would have to be cut, and this would be the place to cut them. Nope. "The interior actually has great build quality. What a miracle!" associate online editor Stefan Ogbac said. "Lots of good materials, and the seats are super comfortable and supportive."

I'm likely to take a serious look at trading in the SL550 for one of these. (It's a 2013, and has proven troublesome).

The cost of the vehicle in Ireland may well be disproportionately high in Ireland, as per a lot of other American cars. (The Chrysler 300 is a luxury car? Seriously?). However, there are some caveats. I don't believe GM specifically markets cars like the Camaro in countries like Ireland, it's possible that if they really do decide to sell in the British Isles from the factory, there may be a mitigating technique for them. The other matter is that even in Ireland, I've seen some pretty high end cars like 911s. Even if you put a "Yank Tax" on the car, you could still end up with a 911-competitor for less than the cost of the 911.

Also from Motor Trend:
    Right, driving. What will convince current Corvette owners to trade in their cars is the C8's performance. In truth, the new 'Vette's numbers and capabilities might convince a few Porsche, BMW, and AMG owners to do the same. Might convince more than a few, in fact.

We mentioned the 0-60 time of 2.8 previously, but to contextualize that number, the 755-horsepower C7 Corvette ZR1 hits 60 mph in 3.0 seconds. The 789-horsepower Ferrari 812 Superfast hits 60 mph in 2.8 seconds. Remember, the C8 with the Z51 Performance package makes "only" 495 horsepower. I won't even point out the $377,000 price gap with Ferrari. Whoops, I just did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Sortof. Being the flagship model Chevy put some serious effort into the C7 Corvette. It still wasn't excactly Porsche or Audi interior, but it also was far better than the rest of the product lineup. It would appear they've done it even more with this one, it came in as Motor Trend's Car of the Year, saying the last car which shook up the motoring world like this was the Tesla Model S.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-corvette-c8-2020-car-of-the-year/

We were also equally surprised at the Corvette's high-quality cabin. To be blunt: Corvette interiors have been nasty, low-quality dens of cheapness and weird smells since 1984. With always-terrible seats, too. That's the truth. With history as my witness, I was expecting more of the same. To keep the price as low as Chevy has promised, you'd think corners would have to be cut, and this would be the place to cut them. Nope. "The interior actually has great build quality. What a miracle!" associate online editor Stefan Ogbac said. "Lots of good materials, and the seats are super comfortable and supportive."

I'm likely to take a serious look at trading in the SL550 for one of these. (It's a 2013, and has proven troublesome).

The cost of the vehicle in Ireland may well be disproportionately high in Ireland, as per a lot of other American cars. (The Chrysler 300 is a luxury car? Seriously?). However, there are some caveats. I don't believe GM specifically markets cars like the Camaro in countries like Ireland, it's possible that if they really do decide to sell in the British Isles from the factory, there may be a mitigating technique for them. The other matter is that even in Ireland, I've seen some pretty high end cars like 911s. Even if you put a "Yank Tax" on the car, you could still end up with a 911-competitor for less than the cost of the 911.

Also from Motor Trend:
    Right, driving. What will convince current Corvette owners to trade in their cars is the C8's performance. In truth, the new 'Vette's numbers and capabilities might convince a few Porsche, BMW, and AMG owners to do the same. Might convince more than a few, in fact.

We mentioned the 0-60 time of 2.8 previously, but to contextualize that number, the 755-horsepower C7 Corvette ZR1 hits 60 mph in 3.0 seconds. The 789-horsepower Ferrari 812 Superfast hits 60 mph in 2.8 seconds. Remember, the C8 with the Z51 Performance package makes "only" 495 horsepower. I won't even point out the $377,000 price gap with Ferrari. Whoops, I just did.

That sounds a lot now promising now from GM,

For the car itself I'm hopeful for, but like we say it's down to our country now, the cost of the car after taxes and on the road tax , insurance cost

Of course it will be very costly on fuel but that's Ireland anyway ! I can't see us getting $2.99 a gallon anytime soon !

Just as a side thought , is there already a RHD camero ? I thought they would've been quite popular against the mustang even in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

But anyway, like previously said. It may only be 20dd grand in states but by the time it gets here it'll be well over 50K

I looked at one and the interior was enough to put me off. They are like something from the nineties inside.

Was walking along and a Mk7 Golf GTD pulled of hard near me from a stop. While I am sure they are nippy just the sound completely lets the whole thing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Was walking along and a Mk7 Golf GTD pulled of hard near me from a stop. While I am sure they are nippy just the sound completely lets the whole thing down.

MK7 snob :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

So Pearse Doherty's car went on fire. Scary! Trust everybody involved is ok. Wondering if it's that brand associated with recent EGR recalls?
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sfs-pearse-doherty-and-family-have-lucky-escape-as-car-catches-fire-969086.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

deandean wrote: »
    So Pearse Doherty's car went on fire. Scary! Trust everybody involved is ok. Wondering if it's that brand associated with recent EGR recalls?
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sfs-pearse-doherty-and-family-have-lucky-escape-as-car-catches-fire-969086.html

But that's not an Opel Zafira!

https://www.facebook.com/PearseDohertyTD/videos/453501865351322/

Dia_Anseo wrote: »

It's a VW Caddy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

ba_barabus wrote: »
    It's a VW Caddy

How can you tell from the video? Also why would you stand at the window filming it burning FFS..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Truckermal wrote: »
    How can you tell from the video? Also why would you stand at the window filming it burning FFS..

What was he supposed to do? Go out and piss on it?

Fires of that inferno require fire fighters and anyone else must stand well clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    stand well clear!

Exactly.

Truckermal wrote: »

I looked through the comments on Facebook. There's after pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭ofcork

My 12 avensis diesel flew the nct again this morning cant beat reliability have it 5 years and only needs servicing nothing breaks or goes wrong.

ofcork wrote: »
    My 12 avensis diesel flew the nct again this morning cant beat reliability have it 5 years and only needs servicing nothing breaks or goes wrong.

Mines been great apart from the injectors. 13 reg and just ticked over 180kms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭ofcork

Ive 177k on mine talked to a taxi driver recently had a 12 as well one of his injectors was leaking whatever happened destroyed the engine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement