Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I paid 133 in an apple green yesterday. On another note I'm not getting applegreen diesel anymore. My already sow of a volvo seems to be extremely thirsty when filled with the úll glas. 100 miles gave me a mere 30mpg.

Be careful slagging off applegreen fuel now, many a folk around here stand by it !

But I agree with you , I don't trust it at all. I find circle k / topaz / maxol the only way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

CIP4 wrote: »
    Tbh the ad-blue alone would be enough to put me off a new diesel just the effort of having to buy it several times a year and put it in. Obviously I know if you are doing big mileage you have little choice but if you are border line it’s a bit off putting especially when you consider it’s not that unusual for modern petrols to be averaging 40-45mpg.

Depends on the driving you do. I’ve done 50k km in just over 2 years and only topped up with second 10ltr bottle at 45k km only got 8ltrs or so in. Topped up first time just past 20k km same story only got 8ltrs in threw the rest in a few months later. It's easier than checking and toppings up the oil. Or at least it is in mine where it fills under the fuel cap.

Do very few short trips, most trips are 20km each way a day with very little time in stop start traffic. Good few long days too 800km plus with 650km or so done in one go probably helps efficiency!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Saw this on twitter earlier, holy sheet:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1076462359819051008

Driver needs to go out and buy lottery tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I paid 133 in an apple green yesterday. On another note I'm not getting applegreen diesel anymore. My already sow of a volvo seems to be extremely thirsty when filled with the úll glas. 100 miles gave me a mere 30mpg.

I remember putting Applegreen garbage in to WRX once. Was last time I went near it. Drop in mpg and car did not felt right.

Texaco or Topaz since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Have no problem with applegreen fuel at all. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see a few of the cousins are back in cork for Christmas saw a lovely white Q7 and a CLS today already.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ofcork wrote: »
    I see a few of the cousins are back in cork for Christmas saw a lovely white Q7 and a CLS today already.

Good few of them around Limerick today parked on footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Good few of them around Limerick today parked on footpaths.

Their culture boss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Dartz

Applegreen diesel has left me distinctly underwhelmed. It might just depend on the car.

Applegreen petrol seems to be fine. The RX will swallow it without hiccuping. It never seems to be that much cheaper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Have used applegreen diesel before a couple of times and always seemed to get lower MPG. I have never bought their petrol now. Just always by Topaz/Circle K out of habit at this stage plus all my local petrol stations are that brand.

• Advertisement

I track my mpg..... 2.2 AWD 2 ton yoke..... applegreen diesel returns same as any other service stations diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It’s all the same fuel, few different additives if you even believe that.
    I just go where ever is handiest when I need a fill, which is often.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It really is all the same fuel, lads.

I used to spend about €50 a week on petrol, like yourselves having to go out of my way to find a petrol station. Now I just hook up at home on my free EV charging station. And it costs me just about €2 to fully charge up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Man, I spend €80/€90 a week these days. I’d nearly consider a Leaf if they weren’t so expensive and I had space to have a second car.

It's all relative. I'd rather spend €60 or €70 a week filling up a car I enjoy rather than having to endure a car just because it costs next to nothing to fill. Getting from a to b at the cheapest cost is not always the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's all relative. I'd rather spend €60 or €70 a week filling up a car I enjoy rather than having to endure a car just because it costs next to nothing to fill. Getting from a to b at the cheapest cost is not always the most important thing.

It is all relative, the same could be said by an m5 driver about a normal 5 series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

unkel wrote: »
    It really is all the same fuel, lads.

I used to spend about €50 a week on petrol, like yourselves having to go out of my way to find a petrol station. Now I just hook up at home on my free EV charging station. And it costs me just about €2 to fully charge up.

Which is grand if you don't really want to go anywhere far often.

I used to spend about €50 a week on petrol, like yourselves having to go out of my way to find a petrol station. .....

Yawn & lol.
    I pass 3 or 4 of them on my way home from work & there's two more in the small town I live in that are a few hundred yards away from me. I just don't pass them daily.
    I'd find it more inconvenient to pr1ck about pluging in an EV TBH.

If you were spending 50/week on petrol I can't fathom how you reckon a new EV was a financially savvy move TBH

I thought once ye got the EV sandpit the rest of us wouldn't have to read about 2 Euro charging anymore... ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Very much all relative. I drive a minimum 500 miles a week in an already thirsty car. Fuel consumption, cost of diesel and MPG plays very much on my mind. During my summer holidays when I'm driving the BMW I don't keep track nor care about how much petrol I use. Then again I only put 1500 miles all told up on the E36 last summer.

CianRyan wrote: »
    It’s all the same fuel, few different additives if you even believe that.
    I just go where ever is handiest when I need a fill, which is often.

I worked out that it's usually cheaper to just fill it up when it's needed. You'll spend more money on fuel driving to the station with the better rate than you'd save.

Unless it's that one near Kells with the stupid prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dartz wrote: »
    I worked out that it's usually cheaper to just fill it up when it's needed. You'll spend more money on fuel driving to the station with the better rate than you'd save.

Unless it's that one near Kells with the stupid prices.

I never go out of my way to fill my car. I drive Cork - Limerick road 4-6 days per week, so Texaco always on my way. On top of that I am psycho who fills the tank when it goes to half empty, so I am never in a rush or pressured.
    So yeah, I still wouldn't fill up in Applegreen even if it would be on my way.

Speaking of EV cars. I am a petrolhead and almost always owned something more or less interesting apart from bangornomics now and then when needed. And as much as I love my cars killing baby seals, I have to admit. EV is finally getting interesting. Range of 250miles is more then enough for me. I could charge it at work for free, by just throwing a cord out of the window of staff room and essentially droping my 60-80eu petrol bill to a very small sum.
    The only issue I have is my house. I dont have a proper driveway for the whole charge point and I am afraid that Scumbags, will ne scumbags and mess around with it. Unless it cam be installed inside and I can charge it up for 30min to 80% and roll cable inside again.

Logging another service in my car's book...

slNU6irl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Crash just coming on to the Youghal bypass.
    At least 2 cars from what I can see.
    There's a barrier in the middle of the road and it looks like one of the cars came over the barrier and landed on its roof.

I have a manual Porsche for the enjoyment of driving. For the day to day commute, school runs and other crappy drives in the greater Dublin area I enjoy my electric car that costs just about nothing to run or maintain, sort of drives itself (level 2 autonomous driving) and gets 75% discount on tolls. Depreciation on my car is almost zero BTW. Bought it for 25k on the road 2 years ago, could easily get 23k in a private sale today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

2z80qb7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just watched a guy on YouTube skim a head himself while changing a head gasket. He has a thick table and a thick piece of glass with sand paper glued to the glass sanded it down till it was flush. He used a precision ruler and a feeler gauge to check the flatness.

Seemed to do the job anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Happy Christmas ladas and ladies of the motors forum. May your head lights all shine bright for another year!

I have a manual Porsche for the enjoyment of driving. For the day to day commute, school runs and other crappy drives in the greater Dublin area I enjoy my electric car that costs just about nothing to run or maintain, sort of drives itself (level 2 autonomous driving) and gets 75% discount on tolls. Depreciation on my car is almost zero BTW. Bought it for 25k on the road 2 years ago, could easily get 23k in a private sale today.

As I said cost is relative to the value you put on it. The cars I'm interested in don't have zero or close to zero running costs nor is it my objective to seek out ones that do. By the time I change over to a plug in car it will probably be because there is no more demand for fossil fuel at filling stations.

Depreciation is also something I cannot control so what my car is worth now or how much I lose on it is a bit like how much my house is worth now compared to when I bought it 11 years ago. As I have no intention of selling my house its current value is irrelevant to me.

As I said cost is relative to the value you put on it. The cars I'm interested in don't have zero or close to zero running costs nor is it my objective to seek out ones that do..

Aye. You buy exciting cars to drive like front wheel drive volkswagens ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Depreciation on my car is almost zero BTW. Bought it for 25k on the road 2 years ago, could easily get 23k in a private sale today.

Good luck in getting someone to spend 23k for an EV in a private sale. Easily? I seriously doubt that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement