Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Just a standard operating procedure for the company was what i was told, i like the idea i can lock it out if i wish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

thansk very much, zappy looks great!!

sorry if its a stupid question, i know nothing about electrical work, whats the ac disconnect box about? is it needed for all zappis?

Thanks,the disconnect is just something the company do as a standard operating procedure on any installation,others may not. Far as im aware it's not a requirement.

Thanks, i've emailed them looking for a quote, would you mind telling me how much you paid for installation please?

If you want, could you PM me if dont want to publish price please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Any idea how long the home charger grant takes to come through? I sent off the info over two 1/2 weeks ago. that €600 would be handy around now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭denismc

Can anyone recommend an electrician Kinsale/Cork to install my Zappi?
    I have the unit but I am struggling to even get a quote.
    I have contacted 8 different electricians and have yet to even get a quote,
    I guess there are some jobs that are just too small!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

denismc wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an electrician Kinsale/Cork to install my Zappi?
    I have the unit but I am struggling to even get a quote.
    I have contacted 8 different electricians and have yet to even get a quote,
    I guess there are some jobs that are just too small!

I got one done recently in Cork by Hepburn electrical . Was happy with it .
    PM me if you want more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Delofan

Hi

I just purchased a 2017 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30 and want to have a home charger installed. I live just outside Letterkenny. Can anyone recommend an installer in the Donegal area. I received my grant approval today.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,222 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Any idea how long the home charger grant takes to come through? I sent off the info over two 1/2 weeks ago. that €600 would be handy around now.

Sent mine in about 3 weeks ago and still waiting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭icom

Took 5 weeks for my grant to come through, they seem to have quite a large backlog of applications.

• Advertisement

had a registered electrician out today to price installation of a zappi.

Said that to get a cert, i'd need 3/4 things done in the house, further increasing the price.

So it'll be almost at the stage that getting a friend to install it and skipping the grant will end up cheaper that using a registered electrician with grant.

Has anyone else had an electrician point out things that need to be fixed, i've not heard of anyone having had this happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

eoferrall wrote:
    quick question, will there ever be the option to install the wall charger outside connected directly to the meter box outside?

Hi

Just wondering did you manage this in the end? I'm in the exact same scenario with a fuse board in the middle of the house ;(

It's like an episode of crystal maze trying to figure out the logistics. I'd have to drill through 4 rooms, and it's a new show house so wifey not impressed!!

If anyone has managed to connect directly to the meter (by adding another consumer unit / fuse board etc) I'd love to hear about it!!

Thanks,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭_dof_

Said that to get a cert, i'd need 3/4 things done in the house, further increasing the price.

So it'll be almost at the stage that getting a friend to install it and skipping the grant will end up cheaper that using a registered electrician with grant.

Has anyone else had an electrician point out things that need to be fixed, i've not heard of anyone having had this happen

Don't skimp on the electrics. You must get a RECI electrician to connect to the distribution board anyway. If there are a few things to get fixed, then get them fixed.

When I got mine installed, the testing of the electrics in the house identified one of the sockets in the kitchen didn't have any earth connection :eek: The earth wire was there, but not connected to anything, ever since the house was built!! It was the socket that the metal bodies microwave and metal bodied toaster were plugged into, so potentially deadly.

So well worth doing it correctly (apart from being required by the regulations)

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering did you manage this in the end? I'm in the exact same scenario with a fuse board in the middle of the house ;(

It's like an episode of crystal maze trying to figure out the logistics. I'd have to drill through 4 rooms, and it's a new show house so wifey not impressed!!

If anyone has managed to connect directly to the meter (by adding another consumer unit / fuse board etc) I'd love to hear about it!!

Thanks,
    Al.

Mine was not connected to the internal fuse board.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

BigAl81 wrote: »

I had a new consumer unit added into the meter cabinet, which was connected to the meter and became the primary CU in the house. The existing CU within the house was fed from this primary unit, making it a secondary. All certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its really a case of whether you believe that electrician or not. If you are suggesting he is making it up to jack up the price then get a second opinion.

Ultimately, you should get it fixed if it needs fixing. Your mate coming in and doing it without fixing those issues is not doing you any favours.

What exactly were the issue he pointed out as needing fixing?

He pointed out a few things including needing earth to some of the wall lights, but also 10sq cables to the emersion and boiler.

And that the cable to the outside earth rod wasn't large enough either, so that I'd need a new one.

I'm not suggesting he's trying to Rob me, he's an electrician recommended to me through a friend and he seems genuine, I'm just surprised at all the extras now involved

€600 landed in my account today. So look like it is roughly 3 weeks to get the grant paid back.

€600 landed in my account today. So look like it is roughly 3 weeks to get the grant paid back.
    Mine was completed last week of sept and I sent the form back on the 1st of October. Hopefully I will get it soon then.
    Did you get a letter in reply first or just the funds straight in?

He pointed out a few things including needing earth to some of the wall lights, but also 10sq cables to the emersion and boiler.

And that the cable to the outside earth rod wasn't large enough either, so that I'd need a new one.

I'm not suggesting he's trying to Rob me, he's an electrician recommended to me through a friend and he seems genuine, I'm just surprised at all the extras now involved

They are not required because of the EVSE though. They are required simply because your house wiring isnt up to scratch. I presume its a relatively old house? Regulations have moved on.

For him to provide you with a cert he is staking his reputation that the house wont burn down. He has to ensure earthing etc is up to regulation before he installs any new equipment. He is doing his job, assuming you trust him.

The only one that seems odd is the 10sq cable to the immersion. Thats a hefty cable for an immersion but obviously he thinks the one you have isnt up to the job so whether its 6sq or 10sq wont matter really from a price perspective, its about making it safe and he probably saw some scorching or something.

Maybe get a second opinion?
    How much extra is this remedial work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

KCross wrote: »
    They are not required because of the EVSE though. They are required simply because your house wiring isnt up to scratch. I presume its a relatively old house? Regulations have moved on.

For him to provide you with a cert he is staking his reputation that the house wont burn down. He has to ensure earthing etc is up to regulation before he installs any new equipment. He is doing his job, assuming you trust him.

The only one that seems odd is the 10sq cable to the immersion. Thats a hefty cable for an immersion but obviously he thinks the one you have isnt up to the job so whether its 6sq or 10sq wont matter really from a price perspective, its about making it safe and he probably saw some scorching or something.

Maybe get a second opinion?
    How much extra is this remedial work?
    Before a new circuit can be added to an existing installation there are a few minimum requirements. All main bonding must be minimum 10sq (hot press, gas boiler, earth rod) and the mains tails minimum 16sq with the neutralizing link 10sq.

If any of those aren't up to scratch he is not able to issue a cert for new circuits so it sounds like the electrician is right in what he is saying there

ELM327 wrote: »
    Mine was completed last week of sept and I sent the form back on the 1st of October. Hopefully I will get it soon then.
    Did you get a letter in reply first or just the funds straight in?

Similar timeline to me. I heard nothing from them at all, the funds just popped into my account this morning.

Yes it's about 35 years old. Not saying that he is wrong, I'm just surprised at how much is involved, I've gone from thinking the grant will help me save money to it actually costing me much more.

Electrician is to get back to me with a price and even said a friend could do some of them things before he installs the charger in order to keep costs down so I do trust him.

Yes it's about 35 years old. Not saying that he is wrong, I'm just surprised at how much is involved, I've gone from thinking the grant will help me save money to it actually costing me much more.

Well, look at it this way, if you had to replace the boiler in the morning (or decided you wanted an extra socket somewhere etc etc) and you got an electrician in you would be hit with the very same bill for that remediation work.

The EV grant has nothing to do with it really.

It doesnt make it easier for you to pay for it but its not the EV is the problem or causing it or that your house wiring has to be upgraded to support an EV. Its just that your house wiring isnt up to regulation in general and you have to fix that before you do any new wiring in the house.

Yes I agree, I'm not saying that it's not necessary work long term, but not something I wanted or can necessarily afford to do, so the grant, instead of saving me money is actually looking like I'll be out of pocket.

Was surprised also as I've not heard anyone here or on Facebook pages etc say that they've endup up with extra work and to be done

Yes I agree, I'm not saying that it's not necessary work long term, but not something I wanted or can necessarily afford to do, so the grant, instead of saving me money is actually looking like I'll be out of pocket.

Was surprised also as I've not heard anyone here or on Facebook pages etc say that they've endup up with extra work and to be done
    But it's necessary with or without the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

ELM327 wrote:
    Mine was not connected to the internal fuse board.
    Zenith74 wrote:
    I had a new consumer unit added into the meter cabinet, which was connected to the meter and became the primary CU in the house. The existing CU within the house was fed from this primary unit, making it a secondary. All certified.

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it. Delighted to hear it can be done ;)

Would you be able to share the name of the company / electrician that did the work and I'd happily give them my business too.

And a cheeky ask, if you care to share the price as well (maybe by PM) that would be great.

Thanks again, wifey will be delighted too!

Well i got a refusal letter a week after i sent off everything, Shannon spelt my surname wrong on the VLC so have to get a new one and then submit again to the appeals bored :rolleyes:

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Well i got a refusal letter a week after i sent off everything, Shannon spelt my surname wrong on the VLC so have to get a new one and then submit again to the appeals bored :rolleyes:
    Wow that's annoying for sure.
    Still radio silence on my account, nearly 4 weeks now and still nothing - no refusal though so that's sometjing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭b.gud

Just got the grant and planning on getting all the stuff myself, as outlined by KCross earlier in the thread. Just wondering does anyone have any recommendations for an electrician in Galway who would be able to install it for me?

Advertisement