Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ionity charging network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Cashel is an excellent location. You could make it from Dublin to say Schull (350km) with one charge in Ioniq

I've never been to west Cork. Always wanted to go to west Cork and once this 6 bay charger is there I can, without having to worry about broken chargers or queuing up behind a bunch of cars going to take at least an hour each with all the family onboard. When can we expect this one to be up and running realistically?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    Cashel is an excellent location. You could make it from Dublin to say Schull (350km) with one charge in Ioniq

I've never been to west Cork. Always wanted to go to west Cork and once this 6 bay charger is there I can, without having to worry about broken chargers or queuing up behind a bunch of cars going to take at least an hour each with all the family onboard. When can we expect this one to be up and running realistically?
    Unless you get 6 slow charging i pace or kona ahead of you :p

Highly unlikely in the next few years. And even when so, then it is quite likely one of the 6 that are charging is about to leave and you're next. Even with 12 ahead of you it will take no more than an hour. And that's probably worst case scenario mid 2020. Both have enough range to rarely / never have to stop for an expensive Ionity charge. Leaving them all for us :p

The Leaf 40 is selling like hotcakes. Imagine arriving at a public fast charger with 6 of them ahead of you. Might as well book a hotel so...

Highly unlikely in the next few years. And even when so, then it is quite likely one of the 6 that are charging is about to leave and you're next. Even with 12 ahead of you it will take no more than an hour. And that's probably worst case scenario mid 2020. Both have enough range to rarely / never have to stop for an expensive Ionity charge. Leaving them all for us :p

The Leaf 40 is selling like hotcakes. Imagine arriving at a public fast charger with 6 of them ahead of you. Might as well book a hotel so...
    I was only kidding.
    A CCS only charger (even with one charger only) would be welcome as it means most slow charging EVs cant use it.
    6 of them means reliable available charging en route and that is very much welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Drawings are now uploaded. Chargers placed far away from pumps and at furthest point in the car park from the buildings.

• Advertisement

bp_me wrote: »
    Drawings are now uploaded. Chargers placed far away from pumps and at furthest point in the car park from the buildings.
    The way they should be. Like Tesla in Ballacolla.

ELM327 wrote: »
    The way they should be. Like Tesla in Ballacolla.

All it takes is one imbecile though

459716.jpg

Took this myself at Ballacolla not long after the Tesla superchargers opened...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

This is seriously fantastic news and it makes a trip from Dublin to Cork a pleasant experience with an Ioniq and other CCS cars. Imagine sitting in the 6 bay charging away at 70kw (or higher?), waving at the other mugs queuing on the single free charger hoping nobody with #rapidgate disease arrives (not taking a cheap shot, this is the reality of the public free network at the moment). I would gladly pay the 10/20 whatever euro for this EV utopia.

Also agree - even in the unlikely event all 6 are in use when you get there you'd very likely only be waiting a few mins max for one to free up.

And unkel get yourself to West Cork man - no better place for a summer vacation.

bp_me wrote: »

Also great news - I wish all chargepoints were like this - furthest reaches of the carpark as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

When can we expect this one to be up and running realistically?

The planning decision is due 18 Oct.
    I presume site works could proceed at that point if granted. I'd imagine the long pole item here will be getting the ESB to do their bit as, according to the planning submission, it requires a new MV substation to support it.

That's not a "run a few wires" type thing! :)

I doubt they'd get it operational this year but maybe early next? Depends really on whether they have contractors and ESB lined up or not.

Note, they already submitted this application a month ago and it was rejected as an "incomplete application". That usually just means they didn't have all the paperwork in order so any technicalities could push it out again. Maybe a rare snail around there somewhere! :)

• Advertisement

So is this the first location to come on stream, didnt they have a number of planning permissions?

KCross wrote: »
    I doubt they'd get it operational this year but maybe early next?

By early summer next year would do me :D

But of course the sooner the better. Unfortunately the Monasterevin and Gormanstown locations are not great for Dublin area based EVs. Too close to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

But of course the sooner the better. Unfortunately the Monasterevin and Gormanstown locations are not great for Dublin area based EVs. Too close to Dublin.

Is monasterevin a definite? It seems strange given Ionity is being rolled out through Circle K in Ireland. The only reference I see to it is from The Times but it would seem like an odd location given there is a Circle K better located on the M7.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'm assuming these are for the Cork-Dublin-Cork brigade, similar to Cashel being for the Dublin-Cork-Dublin shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

Is monasterevin a definite? It seems strange given Ionity is being rolled out through Circle K in Ireland. The only reference I see to it is from The Times but it would seem like an odd location given there is a Circle K better located on the M7.

Nothing is definite until its built! There is only one planning application (so far) by Ionity for chargers and thats in Cashel.

The map that leaked originally showed 9 locations across the country near
    • Limerick
    • Cork
    • Waterford
    • Dublin
    • Dundalk
    • Galway
    • Sligo
    • Derry
    • Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

It's a shame they don't show here: http://www.ionity.eu/locations/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Dardania wrote: »
    It's a shame they don't show here: http://www.ionity.eu/locations/

Unless they have planning they can't really show locations......

Wasn't aware the only real planning application was for Cashel.

Perhaps the 9 original dots were just showing the biggest population centres and they are meaningless when it comes to where the actual chargers will be?

I sure hope so, we need the chargers on main motorways / national roads. Not in cities.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Somewhere between Newry and Sprucefield would be ideal ...

liamog wrote: »
    Somewhere between Newry and Sprucefield would be ideal ...

Ideal for Ioniqs based in Dublin alright :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Wasn't aware the only real planning application was for Cashel.

Perhaps the 9 original dots were just showing the biggest population centres and they are meaningless when it comes to where the actual chargers will be?

I sure hope so, we need the chargers on main motorways / national roads. Not in cities.

Charger in cities or town(e.g. Navan) just become a second home charger

Then when someone who really needs it arrives, it is blocked

No way they're going to put these in towns and cities - the most money is to be made from people looking for a charge or two on a long journey. Cities and towns means they are too close to homes where leccy is dirt cheap.

And I hope they are expensive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

unkel wrote:
    And I hope they are expensive

Again, relax with the hopes of exorbitant charging :-) They just need to be more expensive than home charging to stop the locals from using them unnecessarily......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Sorry folks if it was already discussed.

How do you think Nissan will react to this?

Why having two competing quick charger sockets/standards? Not counting Tesla alright.

CCS is Euroamerican and Chademo is essentially Japanese. It makes no sense to maintain a Japanese standard in Europe (and the US) while competing with the local standard with much stronger backing.

Either expand Chademo in Asia and Australia but switch to CCS in cars for for EU and US market or propose merger and/or interoperability of both standards. The current situation is unsustainable.

Also next year's Leaf battery is too large for standard Chademo. They will need to act quickly.

McGiver wrote: »
    How do you think Nissan will react to this?

I expect Nissan Ireland to do nothing. I'd go one step further: I expect many / most / all of the local Nissan dealer FCP to die out over time, not to be repaired and not to be replaced with new faster ones. Nissan EVs in Ireland will all have CCS only charging from the next generation. Hell Nissan might even want to join Ionity :D

Nissan EVs in Ireland will all have CCS only charging from the next generation.

If that happens then I'd agree ChaDeMo would clearly be dead in this country then but they are not making any noises in that direction and they seem to be actively testing their ChaDeMo V2G tech in the UK and increasing speeds to 100kW.

I just cant see them moving away from ChaDeMo unless their hand is forced somehow and if they did they would alienate their existing customers in UK/Ireland and US. Not something they will do lightly and I doubt they would retrofit CCS.

Its hard to predict the market because it aint moving as fast as we'd like it to.

Either expand Chademo in Asia and Australia but switch to CCS in cars for for EU and US market or propose merger and/or interoperability of both standards. The current situation is unsustainable.

Ultimately its just an extra lead on the charger. Its not that big an issue.

Also next year's Leaf battery is too large for standard Chademo.

Why? The current ChaDeMo standard supports 150kW, I think. You just need to install the chargers. Not likely to happen here in the medium term though as eCars have only tendered for 50kW chargers.

You can still charge a 60kWh Leaf on a 50kW existing charger though. If they get the active cooling right this time it would be OK even for long distance.

KCross wrote: »
    they are not making any noises in that direction and they seem to be actively testing their ChaDeMo V2G tech in the UK and increasing speeds to 100kW.

I just cant see them moving away from ChaDeMo unless their hand is forced somehow

Agreed, Nissan mightn't change to CCS if they are not forced, but the Leaf already is the only EV you can buy in this country with CHAdeMO. It is an obsolete charging standard.

Personally I have no confidence in the public sector keeping the public charging network up with the increase in EV use. If I had a CHAdeMO car and needed regular public charging, I'd be worried for what the next few years would bring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭Soarer

Don't think Chademo is dead just yet.

China and Japan in Chademo love-in

Advertisement