Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I do understand your point about the Airlinks being commercial routes. It was probably best not include those routes in these proposals.

Meanwhile; I did have a look at the new proposed routes in my area which is Fleurville & Newtownpark Avenue.

I will highlight the routes serving this area which are called the S8, 221, 222, 225, 226, 227 & 229.

The first two routes there are the S8 from Dun Laoghaire to Tallaght & 225 from Dun Laoghaire to Dundrum. Both of these routes while they leave Dun Laoghaire go through the current 4 terminus on Monkstown Avenue. When these routes break up at Benamore Road; the 225 will go straight onto Stillorgan then Kilmacud & terminates at Dundrum Luas stop. The S8 on the other hand will turn left off Benamore Road and continue along the current 114 route onto Blackthorn Drive. Then it will along Green Route, Brehon Field, Ballinteer, Grange Road, Taylor's Lane, Scholarstown Road, St's Columba's, Kilininny Road, Old Bawn & Tallaght.

I heard some talk about the 225 before on the C&T forum on boards a long while back. It was meant to be a new feeder route for the Luas & the DART between Dun Laoghaire serving Dundrum & Balally Luas stop nearby. Correct?

The 227 takes up the route of the current 114 from Blackrock DART Station up to St Augustine's School in Carysfort Avenue; then it turns left to Fleurville, Rowanbyrn, Stradbrook Road, Abbey Road, Pottery Road, Cabinteely, Cornelscourt, Glenamuck & I presume finishing at Ballyogan Avenue which somehow meets up nearby the 226 route from Blackrock near the Luas line just after Ballyogan. I have currently have no idea where the 226 will properly finish it's route when it will begins from Blackrock as I haven't read everything about it while going through the full report.

When the 226 begins in Blackrock DART Station; it will go up through Temple Hill, Stradbrook Road, Deansgrange, Clonkeen Road, Cornelscourt, Old Bray road, Glenamuck & then it continues up somewhere near the 227 route which also begins from Blackrock. I would prefer to read more detail at these two routes will end up when going from Blackrock because the proposed map doesn't show their official termini properly.

One route that is omitted from this area is the 63 from Dun Laoghaire to Kilternan. This is replaced with a new route that is called the 229 which goes from Dun Laoghaire to Bride's Glen Luas which is explained further on in my post.

I had a look at the rest of the proposed Dun Laoghaire routes as well. There have some changes highlighted in some of these proposals.

The 59 here is now called the 221 from Dun Laoghaire to Killiney. I presume that route will be run by Go Ahead Ireland?

There is no 111 available at all while looking at these proposals. This route is replaced with 2 separate routes called the 222 & 229. They both have routes beginning & ending at Dun Laoghaire & Brides Glen although the routes given to them are going through different locations within the Dun Laoghaire area.

The full route of the 222 is just a section of the current 7 route between Dun Laoghaire & Brides Glen.

The 229 however takes up the route of the current 63 to Bakers Corner; then it heads down through Rochestown Avenue to Bride's Glen via Loughlinstown Park. This route would replace the current 7a and 111 which currently serve Loughlinstown Park. The 229 is also proposed to serve the current 111 loop at Loughlinstown Roundabout near St Columcille's Hospital.

There is also a new route in the area called the 211 which goes from Dun Laoghaire to Kilmacanogue. I presume that this will be the new look 45a which is to be run by Go Ahead Ireland? As I'm looking at the proposed route map; this bus takes up a new section of the route while leaving Dun Laoghaire. It is proposed to go up through areas like York Road, Mounttown Road, Glenageary Road Lower, Sallynoggin Roundabout, Sallynoggin Church, Glenageary Heights and then continues on it's normal route to Kilmacanogue like the current 45a.

Looking at the routes from the E spine along the N11; there are two main routes there are known as the E1 & E2.

The E1 will go from Bray DART Station to Northwood near Ballymun. This route goes along the N11 to Bray like the current 145.

The E2 will go from Dun Laoghaire to Charlestown Shopping Centre in Finglas. The route will go along the N11 like the current 46A.

These routes I'd imagine will solve the current capacity issues for passengers along the N11 while going to/from Dublin for their regular commute. This move could also remove the need for current routes like the 7B, 7D, 46E, 116 & 118. I would imagine though that a lot of people will be disappointed in them being eventually scrapped off the N11 corridor.

There is some other routes that I found interesting while looking at other areas of Dublin.

I see there is a new number 20 route going from Tallaght to College Green. I suppose this new route is a merge of both the 49 & 54A between these two areas. There is also the 14 being rerouted with the new route going from Dundrum to Liffey Valley. There is also the unusual numbering of the 63 route going from Docklands to Fortunestown.

I want to ask what happens to Go Ahead when they start operating in Dublin from September. Do they continue operating some of these new proposed routes if they made an updated agreement with the NTA when these routes are changed or not?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Phil.x wrote: »
    Is there any good news for people in clonsilla, ongar and surrounding areas? Will there be more direct buses to the city rather than the 1hr20min expedition.

Will there be more buses? Is bus connect now gone or is this just another part.

It's another part. 39/39a replaced with B1 and B2, which link to a hub near M3. On brink there's a local 261 which loops around Clonsilla, Coolmines, S.Ballycorden and the Blanch Hub. Increased frequency on B1 and B2 routes offpeak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

It's another part. 39/39a replaced with B1 and B2, which link to a hub near M3. On brink there's a local 261 which loops around Clonsilla, Coolmines, S.Ballycorden and the Blanch Hub. Increased frequency on B1 and B2 routes offpeak.

A hub!! So longer bus journeys then.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Bambi wrote: »
    If they want buy in on high frequency routes they'd need to do something about summer schools using university routes as the cheap alternative to private hire for groups that number in the 100s. Ridiculous situation

I know large groups of foreign students uses Dublin Bus in summer but are they offset in any way by the fact that usual 2nd and 3rd level students are not travelling in such numbers?

Re Leinster Dub's comment "The cheek of the public using public transport" not entirely fair as often when large numbers of the public wish to attend an event the PT authorities put on extra trains/buses to facilitate them so that "regular" members of the public can continue to go about their business. Also some members of the public attending events do hire private buses. I dont know enough re the numbers of foreign students using DB to opine on what needs to happen but just think Bambi may have a point, if a route has more users at certain times of year does it need more buses then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Patww79 wrote: »
    Yep. Absolute joke.

I'm getting an electric bike as the 39 and 39a drive me very close to suicide with their marathon journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yep. Absolute joke.

The 39a route will be split into 2 routes

B1 - will run as the usual 39a far as centre, then after the centre will then follow the current 39x route to ongar

B2 - will run as the usual 39a as far as centre, then follow the current 39 route to ongar

There will be also a peak hour express bus from hartstown to ringsend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The design of the interchanges will be key. I'm thinking specifically of the outbound Jervis luas stop which can be pretty cramped and uncomfortable at peak times.

I was in Liverpool recently and one of their main city bus interchanges looked fairly well designed https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4017631,-2.9881603,2a,75y,12.09h,80.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szCd-IuHBrKG0dksaFqHkXA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The design of the interchanges will be key. I'm thinking specifically of the outbound Jervis luas stop which can be pretty cramped and uncomfortable at peak times.

I was in Liverpool recently and one of their main city bus interchanges looked fairly well designed https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4017631,-2.9881603,2a,75y,12.09h,80.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szCd-IuHBrKG0dksaFqHkXA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'm pretty sure that's the main one in Liverpool, not sure they've many other like that

The NTA have shown so far they could not care less about overloading bus stops and the streets they're on

• Advertisement

I know large groups of foreign students uses Dublin Bus in summer but are they offset in any way by the fact that usual 2nd and 3rd level students are not travelling in such numbers?

Not really 3rd level students tend not to travel in enormous groups at the same time, you sometimes see see these companies have staging areas at college bus stops to stagger their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Don't want to get off at the centre though. The stops there are bedlam as it is.
    Presumably every area hasn't been shafted like this.

You won't have to. There won't be B on the buses. All buses will be either B1 or B2

Both the 38s and 70 routes are to be axed and replaced in the most part with local services

marno21 wrote: »
    I wasn't directly accusing RTE of misinformation here - it's a constant underlying tone when it comes to reporting on these matters amongst most, most, media in Ireland.

It would be better if RTE stayed neutral and reported what the NTA plan to do here rather than straight away taking the "misery" angle on the story.

It's almost like the media don't share the commonly held view here that joe public's concerns are a mere distraction to be ignored in the grand scheme for public transport.

If there's negative points in this plan it's the medias job to highlight them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jarrett Walker is interacting with the hashtags on Twitter himself it seems (once the point you're making isn't a rant), should anyone want a horses mouth reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Liffey Valley "hub" looks like it will be a big one.

As a pp said, I hope they design it well for the crowds that will use it!

As a matter of interest does anyone know (near enough) where this hub will be? Confusing info on the website. Looks like it should be near where all the buses stop at the moment, close to the centre (Penneys/cinema end), but when reading the details it says the hub will be near N4 where the current foot bridge/bus stop is.

Anyway not a big problem, just wondered.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Liffey Valley "hub" looks like it will be a big one.

As a pp said, I hope they design it well for the crowds that will use it!

As a matter of interest does anyone know (near enough) where this hub will be? Confusing info on the website. Looks like it should be near where all the buses stop at the moment, close to the centre (Penneys/cinema end), but when reading the details it says the hub will be near N4 where the current foot bridge/bus stop is.

Anyway not a big problem, just wondered.

It has to be near the footbridge as the primary purpose is to allow people to transfer to the C spine without having to walk across the carpark. I would presume there will be a CPO of some of the carpark there and realignments of the internal roads to allow for same.

All four of the C routes will be running past with a peak 3min frequency and skipping Chapelizod so they'll be in town in no time. May need some priority works at Johns Road West but there are buslanes most of the way including the priority measures at the Kylemore Road junction.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Bambi wrote: »
    It's almost like the media don't share the commonly held view here that joe public's concerns are a mere distraction to be ignored in the grand scheme for public transport.

If there's negative points in this plan it's the medias job to highlight them

No matter what the NTA/Jarrett Walker does there will be a certain amount of people inconvenienced, it's the cost of progress.

An awful lot of Joe Publics also don't realise that often what they perceive as an inconvenience actually stands to benefit them if they get the facts. Under these plans they may have to make an interchange, but the benefit they get instead is improved frequency. Improved frequency is a lot more of a benefit in the attempts to give proper bus services and discourage car use than a bus that stops outside your door (which inevitably stops outside plenty of other doors and slows down the overall service).

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

loyatemu wrote: »
    the 84X is unchanged apart from the number (it becomes 301 in the plan). It was the lack of a local service for Southern Cross I was referring to as the Finnegans route doesn't seem to be considered part of the wider network.

Ah I see. I've had a look at the full report now that I'm at home.

I'm happy that the 84X/301 will remain.

As Finnegan's are a private company with the licence to operate from the southern cross to Bray train station and on to Sandyford, I can't see them including this route in their plans.

I note on the Finnegan's timetable that the last bus reaches the end of the southern cross at 8:15pm. I'm sure the people that live there would like a later service and that this should be looked into.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No matter what the NTA/Jarrett Walker does there will be a certain amount of people inconvenienced, it's the cost of progress.

An awful lot of Joe Publics also don't realise that often what they perceive as an inconvenience actually stands to benefit them if they get the facts. Under these plans they may have to make an interchange, but the benefit they get instead is improved frequency. Improved frequency is a lot more of a benefit in the attempts to give proper bus services and discourage car use than a bus that stops outside your door (which inevitably stops outside plenty of other doors and slows down the overall service).

For a lot of people living in Dublin, it’s one direct PT journey and if more is required, it’s car time.

Selling it to people with that mindset who spend their holiday time in Spanish resorts as opposed to those who travel around European cities, may be a tough sell.

• Advertisement

If "the commoners" can't add two trip times together and see its the same or less than one, we'll have to revise our official adult numeracy figures.

Our existing bus route system is Victorian. Dunboyne already handles indirect trains to the city very well, I'm sure the residents can figure that out for buses...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

L1011 wrote: »
    It has to be near the footbridge as the primary purpose is to allow people to transfer to the C spine without having to walk across the carpark. I would presume there will be a CPO of some of the carpark there and realignments of the internal roads to allow for same.

All four of the C routes will be running past with a peak 3min frequency and skipping Chapelizod so they'll be in town in no time. May need some priority works at Johns Road West but there are buslanes most of the way including the priority measures at the Kylemore Road junction.

Get rid of the Oval junction and baby you got a stew going.

Get rid of the Oval junction and baby you got a stew going.

Dig out the entire Kennelsfort Road junction like the Newcastle Road junction while they're at it...

The 60min chart seems to suggest slightly faster journey times from Maynooth inbound *before* the skipping Chapelizod bit. Must be calculating some priority works that don't currently exist, and I can't think where. Or a slight reduction in dwell time but they don't have that applied across the board.

Except that won't be the situation at the interchange stops, at all

And anyway, you are basically describing the experience of flying Ryanair, who do serve Lanzarote and don't serve Ghent!

It is also how public transport works everywhere else, plenty of nice cheap warm cities with beaches out there that do interchanging.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    For a lot of people living in Dublin, it’s one direct PT journey and if more is required, it’s car time.

Selling it to people with that mindset who spend their holiday time in Spanish resorts as opposed to those who travel around European cities, may be a tough sell.

Nemo tenetur prodere seipsum and all that but if you're volunteering...

The case rest's m'lud, no further questions.

The stops there are not currently being served by a large double decker every 3 minutes at peak to flush away any buildup, are they?

This is transformative change - it isn't just terminating a few buses short to merge with the existing services.

• Advertisement

Advertisement