Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Model 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So you no longer get free electricity from Tesla. But you do get 400kWh per year for free

That's worth about €30

Wow, so generous of Tesla :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

unkel wrote: »
    So you no longer get free electricity from Tesla. But you do get 400kWh per year for free

That's worth about €30

They're not doing it because they're stringy but to deter people hogging the superchargers. Cars sold with supercharging included will be exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

That's worth about €30

Yeah, but it's about 2000km of travel, which in an ICE car could cost you €200

I like the idea where you start to pay at a higher rate AFTER the battery is charged, as an incentive for you to move your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

The latest Model3 Owners Club episode..

https://youtu.be/OBvj9iE3x-M

a net price to the customer of €44k...

My mate in NL pointed out that all Tesla Model S for the EU are assembled in Tilburg, NL. He reckons the Model 3 will be assembled there too. This of course means that there are no import duties, which is great news!

Here is my revised calculation:

VRT is based on the OMSP - usually about 92% of the RRP, specified by the importer.

So say value of the car is €33.5k (USD 35k - assuming there will be no charge for RHD conversion). So this is the base price of the car.

Another assumption is you get no discount (it will be a desirable model) but Tesla won't be mean to add any other delivery costs

A bit of fiddling in excel will give you a RRP of €49k (before subsidies), so OMSP (92%) of €45k hence VRT (14%) of €6.3k and VAT (RRP includes 23%) of €9.2k

€5k subsidy and €5k discount on VRT mean a net price to the customer of €39k...

• Advertisement

Now that imho makes a massive difference. It's still a lot of money compared to Leaf (€20k) and Ioniq (€25k), but the Tesla Model 3 can be regarded as a more premium product with a substantially better range. Bring it on!

Now that imho makes a massive difference. It's still a lot of money compared to Leaf (€20k) and Ioniq (€25k), but the Tesla Model 3 can be regarded as a more premium product with a substantially better range. Bring it on!

Can it though ? the GM Bolt will give it a run for it's money but in cost and performance. Only of course, it won't be sold in right hand drive for this model cycle at least most likely due to the failure of the Volt in the U.K. GM think that the Bolt might be the same low seller.

Not sure what your point is, Rachel Clean Bayonet? Not much point in discussing vehicles that won't be available here and do you not expect the Model 3 to be the new (relatively) low cost benchmark? Obviously far more expensive than entry level EV cars though.

Just watched Bjørn Nyland's winter test drive of the Ioniq again (this time in full) and interestingly enough he categorises EVs by generation. First attempts are 1G, Leaf, i3, e-Golf etc. are 2G, the Ioniq is 2.5G and for sure the Model 3 will be 3G.

Not sure what your point is, Rachel Clean Bayonet? Not much point in discussing vehicles that won't be available here and do you not expect the Model 3 to be the new (relatively) low cost benchmark? Obviously far more expensive than entry level EV cars though.

Yes the Model 3 will probably be more expensive than the Bolt, but the bolt will offer similar range and performance.

I'm sure the Model 3 will have more gadgets and at a good price too.

I didn't think there was a limit of vehicles to discuss ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Yes the Model 3 will probably be more expensive than the Bolt, but the bolt will offer similar range and performance.

I'm not so sure about that. The Bolt is almost $8000 MORE expensive in the US than the promised price for the Model 3. Tesla has repeatedly stated the $30k Model 3 base price is ex-incentives and the base Bolt is ~$38k ex-incentives.

• Advertisement

We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Who's betting non deposit holders won't see it until 2019 or after ?

I wouldn't put a deposit down on something I haven't seen + my lease is up in January so I'm hoping Nissan get the finger out with Gen II Leaf.

I'd really like a larger EV, 4x4 or Estate, keep dreaming......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I wouldn't put a deposit down on something I haven't seen + my lease is up in January so I'm hoping Nissan get the finger out with Gen II Leaf.

I wouldn't buy a brand new car that uses brand new technology built on a brand new assembly line.
    Give them a year to work the bugs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd really like a larger EV, 4x4 or Estate, keep dreaming......

Most of your posts seem very Leaf focused and un'erred in the cause to get the next leaf. Are you tied to Nissan specifically or is there a reason you are not looking at models like Iconiq and 2nd Gen Zoe ?

Not tied to anything whatsoever nor am I Leaf biased , the fact I mentioned leaf is because I am keen to see the new model and if it's not going to be available in January or very soon after then I'll definitely consider the ioniq , absolutely , or whatever is around in a year that I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Barring pixies inhabiting the factory and doubling output, that's pretty much certain.

Production is due to start this year... maybe in the low tens of thousands of units out the door, then 100k - 200k production in 2018. Close to 500,000 deposit holders have money down already.

Unless you are putting a deposit down this year or buying a fully loaded top spec car, I wouldn't see you getting a model 3 this side of Q3/4 2019 or Q1 2020.

cros13 wrote: »
    Tesla has repeatedly stated the $30k Model 3 base price is ex-incentives

It's $35k

Linky
    cros13 wrote: »
    the base Bolt is ~$38k ex-incentives.

$37.5k

Linky

Using my calculation that means it will be about €42.5k here. Is it just me or does this car not look premium at all? A lot of money...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Using my calculation that means it will be about €42.5k here. Is it just me or does this car not look premium at all? A lot of money...

While certainly not in the same class as a true high end Merc, etc. I do think it looks about the same as a BMW 3 Series, which would also be about the same price category.

However I think the almost all glass roof could really set it apart and end up making the likes of the BMW 3 series look pretty poor by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

A bit of fiddling in excel will give you a RRP of €49k (before subsidies), so OMSP (92%) of €45k hence VRT (14%) of €6.3k and VAT (RRP includes 23%) of €9.2k

€5k subsidy and €5k discount on VRT mean a net price to the customer of €39k...

Id be shocked but pleasantly surprised if this thing costs less than 40k when grants are removed. Any idea when pricing is due to be released? Is it released in other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

RedorDead wrote: »
    Id be shocked but pleasantly surprised if this thing costs less than 40k when grants are removed. Any idea when pricing is due to be released? Is it released in other countries?

No prices have been released yet. Maybe they'll tell us when they reveal the final car later this year.

RedorDead wrote: »

It would be €49k without grants. That's pretty bad compared to $35k in the US

• Advertisement

35 K USD = 32,600 Euro's

+ 23% VAT = 40,100

+ vrt at lowest level A1 14% costing 5,614

= total 45,714 excluding import duty likely another few K + conversion to right hand drive ? another few K

subtract 10 K for vrt relief and grant = 35,714 , likely 37K on the road.

23 % VAT is a complete rip off, Government are thieves !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭The Rooster

VAT rate isn't too much out of line with the rest of the EU. Actually 6 countries have 25% or 24% and another 2 have 23%.

The VRT is where new car buyers in Ireland or car importers into Ireland are getting rightly stung.

23% is a rip off no matter where it is, if other countries are ripping off their citizens doesn't make it right either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

23% is a rip off no matter where it is, if other countries are ripping off their citizens doesn't make it right either.

People driving cars particularly cars directly powered by fossil fuels costs the state a fortune, so it is only right that they are taxed.

Hardly a rip off.

It's not as if you are getting nothing back for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Ha!

So would it be hospitals or schools you'd cut back on to abolish VAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Ha!

I'm sure some example of a few €1000 wasted will now be trotted out as a way of justifying annihilating the states income.

35 K USD = 32,600 Euro's

+ 23% VAT = 40,100

+ vrt at lowest level A1 14% costing 5,614

= total 45,714 excluding import duty likely another few K + conversion to right hand drive ? another few K

subtract 10 K for vrt relief and grant = 35,714 , likely 37K on the road.

Worse. The VAT is added last, to everything before!

The calculation doesn't work like that, Rachel Clean Bayonet. See my examples. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty confident that it works like I showed. We had a big discussion about how this calculation worked back when the VRT system changed in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Ha!

We're meant to encourage EVs. I'd say reduce their "costs" and increase VRT/VAT on fossil cars. There's the savings 😜👍

• Advertisement

Worse. The VAT is added last, to everything before!

You're right, I got confused. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement