Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW Golf

Options
  • 17-03-2019 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Mt partner is thinking of buying the below car, just looking for some knowledgeable posters opinions on it?

Is 90bhp low given its a highline?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't see any link to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

bazz26 wrote:
    I don't see any link to the car.

Weird the link won't attach. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Copy and paste the link should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’m assuming it’s a 1.6 90bhp mk7

The engine isn’t as bad as you’d think, the current golf is usefully light. It only has a 5 speed gearbox though and 5th gear isn’t particularly long - motorway economy isn’t great as a result.

I thought the Mk7 Highline 1.6 TDi only came in the more powerful version of the 1.6, 110/115bhp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bazz26 wrote: »
    I thought the Mk7 Highline 1.6 TDi only came in the more powerful version of the 1.6, 110/115bhp?

Think they made them with the 90bhp motor up until around 2015, not as common as the 110/115 though.

Can't seem to post the link on my phone for some reason. Will post it tomorrow. Its a 2014 1.6 tdi highline but only 90bhp.

Another question to ask is whether you should be looking at the 2.0?

https://www.bluegatemotorco.ie/vehicles/volkswagen/golf/dublin/2232596

I don't think she needs a 2l but I also don't want to buy something that will feel underpowered.

That's the car there. Its me worrying about the spec really. Shes happy with it, so as long as the more knowledgeable people here don't think 90bhp is a deal breaker Ill be happy for her to get it.

Cheers

Rear drivers side door looks resprayed.

Bluegate is a part of Frank Keane group as far as I know where they would retail stuff that wouldn’t fit the main dealer used car criteria (probably age)

2 owner car. Traded in roughly a month ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

I don't think she needs a 2l but I also don't want to buy something that will feel underpowered.

That's the car there. Its me worrying about the spec really. Shes happy with it, so as long as the more knowledgeable people here don't think 90bhp is a deal breaker Ill be happy for her to get it.

Cheers

It should be a 105HP - HL never came with a 90HP in MK 7 Golf only in Trendline .

90HP only had a 5 speed box as well where as 105hp had 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

Cheers

Give the alloys a good look over, they’re not originals (more than likely cheap Chinese copy) check what tyres are on them, last thing I’d want my mrs driving is cheap tyres on wet roads as it’s your point of contact with the road..you could always change them for a better brand yourself and try haggle a few pound off.

With the wheels being not the original size for the car take it for a decent test drive make sure the comfort level is okay.

I’d also do some of kind of history check on the car just to be sure.

ChuckLarry wrote:
    Give the alloys a good look over, they’re not originals (more than likely cheap Chinese copy) check what tyres are on them, last thing I’d want my mrs driving is cheap tyres on wet roads as it’s your point of contact with the road..you could always change them for a better brand yourself and try haggle a few pound off.

Yeah the alloys look like tinfoil. She loves the look of them though!

There’s an R Line with extras a year newer for similar money in the same Harare. Not sure how the specs compare.

Has German plates and MN reg which is a little offputting but might be a better choice.

colm_mcm wrote:
    There’s an R Line with extras a year newer for similar money in the same Harare. Not sure how the specs compare.

The highline has a sunroof which she's pretty sold on. It definitely makes the inside seem roomier than the ones without it.

Now that the wrong bhp is cleared up we'll go with it I reckon.

Cheers all.

You happy enough with the paint on the drivers side?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The motorcheck description of that Golf is wrong, its correct in that it is a 105bhp car but it's only a 5 speed box.

The R-Line at the same dealer is an R-Line based on a Comfortline and would be missing a lot of toys that the Highline would have. If it didn't have the kit you wouldn't look twice at it.

If I was looking at that Highline I'd just make sure it has a good service history. The wheels are a bit gaudy for me but the Highline would have came with 17's or 18's depending anyway so would have always had big ish wheels.

colm_mcm wrote:
    You happy enough with the paint on the drivers side?

I've looked at the photos but I cant see what you're seeing. She's going to say it to him when she rings today.

Odd that the motor check I'd saying its a 6 speed alright. It has a full dealership service history with it.

A salesman will say they don’t know whether it’s been painted or not. I might be way off of course.

Wouldn’t be a fan of those wheels. Wonder if they’d swap them for the ones on the R line!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Is it just me or does the suspension look wrong in it? The back of the car looks higher off the ground than the front.

I wouldn't be keen on the wheels either. I can't say I notice a difference in the paint but I'm looking on my phone so definitely not the best place to judge these kind of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A salesman will say they don’t know whether it’s been painted or not. I might be way off of course.

Wouldn’t be a fan of those wheels. Wonder if they’d swap them for the ones on the R line!

I’m not saying your wrong, but the photos don’t seem like good enough quality to be able to spot a paint respray to me? Could well be, just an observation

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2015-volkswagen-golf-1-6-tdi-highline/20992694

Ok we have a new contender. Higher Mileage but she likes the seats and might be willing to forego the sunroof.

Anyone like to offer any opinions please? Personally I like the look of this one better and its only 1 owner. Going to go see it today.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

More cheap rep alloys. Personally if i was spending €15k on a car, I'd want OEM or at least premium aftermarket alloys on it.

The alloys a highline would have come with would have been a lot nicer than what's on it now, not to mention stronger and possible even lighter...

It's a UK import (the UK reg is scribbled on the service book in the photo) and that leather either has alot of wear on it or is of poor quality. It had 76,446 miles on the clock when it was MOT'd back last April for what it's worth.

It's also got halogens but with washers? is that possible on the UK spec?

The fact it's got the dodgy wheels and potentially different headlights than it originally came with makes me think someone stripped it of the nice parts at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

dar83 wrote: »
    More cheap rep alloys. Personally if i was spending €15k on a car, I'd want OEM or at least premium aftermarket alloys on it.

The alloys a highline would have come with would have been a lot nicer than what's on it now, not to mention stronger and possible even lighter...

How do you know they are cheap rep alloys??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It has 1x previous Irish owner, but it's a UK car originally.

If we're being really pedantic here, I think that's a UK lower "Match" spec or similar, with the winter pack added, it's not a Highline.

The Highlines got the gloss black center console, the brushed aluminium was only on lower spec models (Trend and Comfortline) in Ireland. That car has the aluminium dashboard. The winter pack added heated washer jets, washer fluid level indicator, headlight washers and heated seats which it looks like this car has. Match spec got 16" alloys, dual zone climate control and parking sensors above standard spec, which again looks like this car. It's a nice spec, but i'd put money on it not being a Highline.

The wheels (much like the other Golf) are awful replicas and the Urano grey is a real marmite colour.

It may not be a bad car but it wouldn't be for me, nor would the Bluegate Motors one either, tbh.

It may be worth a look, but i'd also keep looking.

edit: I did think the leather looked like retrofit too at a glance, but it is factory leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

dar83 wrote: »
    It's also got halogens but with washers? is that possible on the UK spec?

The fact it's got the dodgy wheels and potentially different headlights than it originally came with makes me think someone stripped it of the nice parts at some stage.

Factory leather gets the winter pack - heated seats and washers.

Is she only interested in a Golf? Here is a nice looking A3 (Golf in a posher dress) for similar money that looks way fresher than that Golf you just posted:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2238704&r=s.php%3Fm%3D7%26o%3D42%26r%3D2015%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

Or a 2.0 litre if she wants to drop back a year:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2218794&r=s.php%3Fm%3D7%26o%3D42%26r%3D2014%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

• Advertisement

How do you know they are cheap rep alloys??

2rcqrk4.png

Advertisement