Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long does a vehicles registration certificate (logbook) take to be posted out?

• 14-03-2019 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I checked online on motor tax.ie and it said that the last registration certificate for my car I just bought was issued on Monday 11/03 (Monday gone) and I was wondering when I can expect it to arrive as my two week grace period for driving the car without tax is nearly up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Jp1506 wrote: »
    I checked online on motor tax.ie and it said that the last registration certificate for my car I just bought was issued on Monday 11/03 (Monday gone) and I was wondering when I can expect it to arrive as my two week grace period for driving the car without tax is nearly up.

Have you tried to request a PIN from motortax.ie? Once it says it's been changed over and the new one issued, you should be able in theory to request a PIN using your details and tax it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What 2 week grace period is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

The mythical one, that a lot of Guards would be ok with if you can prove you've only bought the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Jp1506

morritty wrote: »
    The mythical one, that a lot of Guards would be ok with if you can prove you've only bought the car.

The garage said to me that the guards have to give you two weeks to sort out the tax) wait for the logbook to come out, pay for it, receive the disc etc.) the thing is I want to sell the car before having to tax it, so thought I could drive it without tax for these two weeks (not for leisure but to bring it to show it to potential buyers)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's BS, but they will often give you 10 days to produce to get you out of their hair there and then.
    Never trust a dealer or any business person. Everything needs to be in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Jp1506

biko wrote: »
    That's BS, but they will often give you 10 days to produce to get you out of their hair there and then.
    Never trust a dealer or any business person. Everything needs to be in writing.

It does only stand to reason that you do need time for the change of ownership to be switched around so you can tax the car. What are you suppose to do in the meantime, not drive the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Jp1506 wrote: »
    It does only stand to reason that you do need time for the change of ownership to be switched around so you can tax the car. What are you suppose to do in the meantime, not drive the car?

That's not the same as telling you that you have 2 weeks grace period though. Yes you do need time to get ownership changed over and tax the car but there is no official grace period.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

Legally the car must be taxed to be on the road, as said, some guards may let you away with it, but don't count on it. The Garda do not have to give you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

check online to see if it's in your name yet, if it is , you can tax it online. There is no grace period for tax. You could get a ticket for non display if you park it in public.

Advertisement