Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

chris20 wrote: »
    Hey folks just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, I have a dash camera I'm looking to get hardwired, I have tried halfords but they wouldnt install one that wasn't purchased instore, Can anyone recommend anyone? I'm based in offaly and work in Dublin so anywhere around that area would be perfect

Thanks

Chris

What car have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

w211 wrote: »
    I took the power from the overhead console, needs only short wires.

Is there a switched power supply in the overhead console?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Is there a switched power supply in the overhead console?

I'd personally prefer to just use a fuse tap at the fusebox.
    No interference with other wires.
    But each to their own I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

5x20mm fuse holder with wires cost only 9 cents on China. The fuse 2 cents. Works. If you need the blade type fuse holder, these cost on China about 60-90 cents. Overhead console have dedicated fuse on fuse box.

If you really like to install dedicated fuse for camera on fuse box, use the pigtail. The old and new fuse will share the same power source. Good option for low power equipment as camera.

To make the original cigarette lighter DC to DC converter smaller, there are possible to dismantle the case and use only the PCB. There are couple of options, use low profile plastic case or wrap it to the electrical tape. I used the last option. If the DC to DC converter are good, there is no any problems. If it already running on the limits, you need to install the some kind of heat sink or use the proper DC to DC converter. All what is does are DC12V to DC5V (typically).
    There are option to order the special DC12V to DC5V converters. 15W one cost On China over 2eur and have a very low profile, only 14mm!!! Actually that last option are the best because it is sealed by special silicone stuff what make it waterproof and on same time helps to improve the cooling too. Do not use the construction silicon, it does not have that type of properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭chris20

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    What car have you got?

I have a 2015 mondeo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭demello

Excellent, and I mean excellent value ....

Kia Ceed.
    Genuine low mileage.
    Full engineers report available.
    Extremely reliable, safe and comfortable.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed/20368304

I'd like to install a dual lens dash cam, a Viofo A129.
    Those who have already done the same experience, how long does it take to hardwire it in a car like an Opel Mokka? An hour? Two? More?
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd like to install a dual lens das cam, a Viofo A129.
    Those who have already done the same experience, how long does it take to hardwire it in a car like an Opel Mokka? An hour? Two? More?
    Thanks!

Not sure about the car but it took an hour in mine and that was adding extra work because I couldn't use a fuse tap.

Not sure about the car but it took an hour in mine and that was adding extra work because I couldn't use a fuse tap.

Thanks so much for your input, it helps me a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

2011 Peugeot RCZ 2.0 hdi (163 bhp) for sale

Purchased as an ex-demo from Grandons Peugeot dealership in Cork by my wife in 2011.

Currently approx 139,000 km, its a genuine car.

NCT until January 2021
    Tax until November 2019 (280 EUR)
    Grandons and J&P Cork service history until 2017 and then Powell Motors Cork

All service invoices and previous NCT documentations present

New Tyres November 2018

137,325 km - New front and rear brake disks and pads in January 2019
    136,633 km - Full Service ( oil, oil filter, air filter fuel filter & pollen filter) December 2018
    136,663 km - New rear third brake light fitted December 2018
    118,921 km - New clutch, fly wheel in December 2017
    103,972 km - Full Service (Powell Motors) - February 2017
    81,521 km - Full Service (J&P) October 2015
    64651 km - Front brake pads - September 2014
    61,568 km - Full Service (Grandons) - June 2014
    43,765 km - Full Service (Grandons) - August 2013
    24839 km - Full Service(Grandons) - August 2012
    4007km - Full Service (Grandons)

AUX/Phone/USB connectivity
    Bluetooth
    Air Conditioning
    Auto Wipers
    Auto Lights
    Cruise Control
    Isofix
    Electric rear spoiler
    Parking Sensors
    Leather Heated seats

Currently on donedeal for 9,000 EUR, located in Cork

https://www.adverts.ie/car/peugeot/rcz/2011-peugeot-rcz/17499055

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-rcz-2-0-hdi-163bhp/21302222

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

chris20 wrote: »
    I have a 2015 mondeo

Did you google '2015 mondeo hardwire dash cam'

2006 Audi A4 2.0TFSI. Very reliable car. I purchased this from Audi Liverpool in summer 2008.
    Newer one just purchased. Contact me for any further details. Car is in Belfast.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201902054617575?advertising-location=at_cars

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tierno85

<Only users with 10 posts or more can post>

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭jefferson73

I'd like to install a dual lens dash cam, a Viofo A129.
    Thanks!

Mini Cooper S, it took about hour and half. Installed the three wire parking mode voltage cut off wiring adapter, delay was with the rear camera as had too much cable that needed to be hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Someone I know was telling me that while getting their car NCT that they were asked if a dash cam was fitted and specifically if hard wired they said no, Anyone any ideas on why they be going after dash cams since when did it become a road worthy feature ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Someone I know was telling me that while getting their car NCT that they were asked if a dash cam was fitted and specifically if hard wired they said no, Anyone any ideas on why they be going after dash cams since when did it become a road worthy feature ?:confused:

Another thing to get fails and retests fees for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

could be in case it short circuits the electrics in the car if it wasnt done right or attached to the fuse board properly.Could cause a fire in the car. (a hack job) same with if u have baby seat in the car @ time of test they will check to make sure it is properly secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Chippy01

For the NCT, I think dash-cams need to be disconnected, unplugged or removed. No recording is allowed. (I read that in another thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Never had a problem with dashcams during NCT. Some testers just don't care. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

joujoujou wrote: »
    Never had a problem with dashcams during NCT. Some testers just don't care. :)

It's private property and I can see where they are coming from as I wouldn't want a video of me posted online or comments about me etc.

It's something people shouldn't have an issue with as I'm sure most wouldn't like if the tester videoed anyone with their phones while getting keys and handing them back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I'm just stating the fact I witnessed, nothing else. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

It's private property and I can see where they are coming from as I wouldn't want a video of me posted online or comments about me etc.

It's something people shouldn't have an issue with as I'm sure most wouldn't like if the tester videoed anyone with their phones while getting keys and handing them back.

I'm willing to bet that every NCT centre has cameras videoing customers from the moment they drive into the yard.

If I was asked to disconnect my dashcam by a NCT tester all it would do is raise my suspicions about their possible conduct, I'd just spend the test in the viewing area eyeballing them, possibly with mobile phone out. Considering the car will spend most of the test with the bonnet up or the tester beside/underneath the car a regular dashcam isn't going to capture much anyway.

It's all a bit pointless and reactionary, anyone really wanting to monitor a test would be installing hidden cameras with better angles as the likes of BBC Watchdog have been doing for years to catch out dodgy mechanics/MOT testers.

Mini Cooper S, it took about hour and half. Installed the three wire parking mode voltage cut off wiring adapter, delay was with the rear camera as had too much cable that needed to be hidden.

Thanks so much for your help and info! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

site_owner wrote: »

not mine, seen on twitter

Wrong thread, Dashcam videos go in this thread

where that video has already been posted by the person who filmed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Murphy14

2013 BMW 518 d SE for sale
    Automatic transmission
    64,500 Km
    Automatic wipers & lights
    Heated front seats
    Air conditioning
    Cream leather seats
    Immaculate car
    NCt until 29/9/2019
    FSH (BMW)
    €16500

Hi all, I got the Viofo A129 delivered at home a few days ago and tried to install it.
    All is rather fine and easy, but the kit would include a fuse tap that doesn't match the size of my fuses that, according to a research on the web, are Micro2 fuses.
    Now, how would you hardwire the dashcam when the provided fuse tap is different?

I looked for Micro2 use taps on the web, but they come in packages of 5 or more and with the delivery it really isn't worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭jd06

Hi all, i was looking to fit a reversing camera on my crew cab
    Any makes and models I should look out for and prices
    I was quoted 440 all in and installed, sounds dear

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Try to get one with a wiper or a spray nozzle or is hidden when not in use. I've one on my car and once it rains, or even gets a bit damp, it becomes useless with water and dirt blocking the lens. Not much point in having a camera that you need to get out of the vehicle to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Looking to get a Dash Cam for the car and wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
    Do I need two? (Front and rear)
    Any need to spend a massive amount?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement