Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW retrofits

• 08-01-2019 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Im getting my hands on a decent specced e60 lci.

However, 2 things it doesnt have are bluetooth and satnav.

Now the bluetooth isnt a huge hassle, plenty of kits for that, but since bmstuff / germanicks isnt gracing us anymore, im wondering what options i have to retrofit a cic nav or indeed a nbt.

I can source the kit if needed but would need an installer and coder around dublin. Anybody any ideas?

Also any recommendations for any more gadgets that can be installed same time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Have you considered installing an Android head unit rather than CIC? I had CIC retrofitted to my F10, but if I was to do it again I'd probably try out an Android unit next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

i am not removing any options. apart from dynavin, i havent been in touch with what other options there are. i have an apple phone, so ideally carplay support would be brilliant, but an android unit not out of the question as i would use google maps or waze as my commute can sometimes require me to change routes suddenly if there is traffic.

Any recommendations are welcome, but i think one of the main issues is who can do the change as i have no contacts since Mick has left boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

If you are anyway into working on your own car, the android units are straight enough forward to install ans no coding required. It was Mick who installed my CIC at the time and I dont know of anyone else who has that expertise to do it. The coding of the CIC is not an easy task.

Here is one of the Android units on one of a forum members F10's. I cant personally recommend any though I am afraid and I have no personal experience of them.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107433551&postcount=7608

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Android auto with your phone using google maps. that way you get all of your saved locations, traffic updates and can google new locations that are never included in stand alone sat nav systems.

do you have any product ideas? im looking online and the avins or android autos 7.1 or 8.1 might be good but there are queries around poor audio and poor bluetooth microphone, as well as no audio with the carplay adapter etc....

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend an installer for something like this

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=323612044202&category=258035&pm=1&ds=0&t=1545487537000&ver=0&cspheader=1

I would like to add carplay as well. Im not great with trying to diy this as im worried re audio as there are forums fhat say the audio can be pants...

Even if someone sells the kit and can install it that would be better. Need bluetooth calls so i wonder if a microphone needed too for good call quality.

Around dublin/wicklow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Check out https://www.bimmer-tech.net/, they have loads of kit and some useful videos. I've used their cable upgrade service on my last 2 BMWs

Clareman wrote: »
    Check out https://www.bimmer-tech.net/, they have loads of kit and some useful videos. I've used their cable upgrade service on my last 2 BMWs

thanks clareman, did you do it yourself or did you get someone to do the work? will have no time/place to do them as with small kids.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Very unusual for an LCI E60 not to have Bluetooth?
    Are you sure its not there?

There are a few sellers on adverts selling the NBT retrofits and offer coding too.
    Also, BMW Workshop on Aylmer Road in Newcastle do the coding

kceire wrote: »
    Very unusual for an LCI E60 not to have Bluetooth?
    Are you sure its not there?

There are a few sellers on adverts selling the NBT retrofits and offer coding too.
    Also, BMW Workshop on Aylmer Road in Newcastle do the coding

Yes. Absolutely no trace of bluetooth or satnav. Not even sure its wired for bluetooth. Has plenty of great spec though...

Nbt/nbt evo costing 1200-1500 to fit...

Looking into android route but unsure re dual nav and radio same time. ICE quoting 1000 to install an android headunit (£400) for sale in uk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've already got the Pronav set up in my F10, is it a pricey business to add-on the reversing camera?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

They setup a Skype session and do it for you, really easy really. Throw your VIN in here and it'll tell you what can be done

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-idrive-coding/

Clareman wrote: »
    They setup a Skype session and do it for you, really easy really. Throw your VIN in here and it'll tell you what can be done

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-idrive-coding/

If thats meant for me the only options available are

Digital speedo
    Auto lock on moving
    Auto windows from fob.

Thats all.

I can pm you my vin if you want

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've already got the Pronav set up in my F10, is it a pricey business to add-on the reversing camera?

About €400.

I’m thinking of adding to mine also.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/20183822

Spipov wrote: »
    If thats meant for me the only options available are

Digital speedo
    Auto lock on moving
    Auto windows from fob.

Thats all.

I can pm you my vin if you want

Sorry just spotted your post now. My car has loads of options that can be turned on or off by coding but if your car doesn't have the hardware then it's fairly limiited as to what can be done, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

in the same boat, upgrade small screen in 2012 F10 to a 10" android unit... If anyone has supplier and fitter details please pass them on.

Deciding to get a £400 android unit with carplay dongle and external microphone to help with bluetooth calls.

Anyone knows anyone who is handy at doing the install around dublin? Would not fancy diy ing this

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

Deciding to get a £400 android unit with carplay dongle and external microphone to help with bluetooth calls.

Anyone knows anyone who is handy at doing the install around dublin? Would not fancy diy ing this

Can I ask which unit you are getting?, I have an 2015 F10 and am looking to do the same, various forums and sites report plusses and minuses on various suppliers, I know the head units are pretty much all the same manufacturer.
    The prices are a bit varied too.

Thanks in advance.

kao123 wrote: »
    Can I ask which unit you are getting?, I have an 2015 F10 and am looking to do the same, various forums and sites report plusses and minuses on various suppliers, I know the head units are pretty much all the same manufacturer.
    The prices are a bit varied too.

Thanks in advance.

Mine is an e60 so im quite restricted in what i can get. Ill get one from uk ebay seller and has good communication.android 8.1 at £400 and i expect it will be cheaper for a f10. Will get carplay dongle.

Havent bought yet as i havent found an installer yet

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

Mine is an e60 so im quite restricted in what i can get. Ill get one from uk ebay seller and has good communication.android 8.1 at £400 and i expect it will be cheaper for a f10. Will get carplay dongle.

Havent bought yet as i havent found an installer yet

I'd be interested to know which seller you go with, there's lots of them out there.

As for installing it, it is something that is doable yourself, if you are ok with popping off some trim in the car, there's a bunch of videos on youtube.

I installed a pumpkin android unit in my previous car, it took about 3 hours but it was overall an easy job, stuffing the canbus and cables in the dash was the hardest part.

I found these guys on Adverts, I've never used them or anything - https://www.adverts.ie/audio/bmw-5-series-f10-multimedia-dvd-gps-system-2013-2017/15614793

Maybe they can help with your install?

• Advertisement

Dont think they do installs. There was a nice guy from longford but he suppies his own systems and they are 700 with older version and no carplay, total cost 850 inc fitting. Too pricey, might as well install a nbt or nbt evo!

Ill wait for better weather and see if im not chicken,trim bits scare me as im terrified of creating a rattle. I drive a lot and this would render me nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SpikeyBoi

Try Bmw coding Tipperary on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What time do you open?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Has anyone installed a digital dash cluster? I was thinking of getting a 6WB digital cluster for my F36. the Physical job is easy but none of the BMW garages are too keen on installing one for me. I only bought the car last week but couldn't find one with the digital cluster.

Would you try giving it a go yourself???

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424646

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Physical installation is easy but there is no way i'm paying 1800 dollars for one plus whatever customs hit me for at the door. i can get one for 950 to the door at least but the rest isn't easy :D

I see BMW Coding in Tipperary do software upgrades. Might look into getting apple car play. I use it all the time abroad when i travel with work, its really cool! Has anyone got BMW Coding in tipp to do work for them?

Has anyone installed a digital dash cluster? I was thinking of getting a 6WB digital cluster for my F36. the Physical job is easy but none of the BMW garages are too keen on installing one for me. I only bought the car last week but couldn't find one with the digital cluster.

https://www.facebook.com/BMworkshop.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Robbie IRE

Hi ,
    I've an e61 with cic & was looking at getting one of the android head units 10 or 9.0 from Alibaba.
    Did anyone ever get one of these units fitted to their car ?
    Quality etc any good ?
    There is a euro supplier for similar units . I've a good auto electrician in westmeath that will fit it . Just not sure who to by from & what's good/not good .

Any help would be great .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Robbie IRE wrote: »
    Hi ,
    I've an e61 with cic & was looking at getting one of the android head units 10 or 9.0 from Alibaba.
    Did anyone ever get one of these units fitted to their car ?
    Quality etc any good ?
    There is a euro supplier for similar units . I've a good auto electrician in westmeath that will fit it . Just not sure who to by from & what's good/not good .

Any help would be great .

I got an Eonon unit fitted to my e90.
    Works perfectly. Did a self install. Not too difficult.

https://www.eonon.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Robbie IRE

wandererz wrote: »
    I got an Eonon unit fitted to my e90.
    Works perfectly. Did a self install. Not too difficult.

https://www.eonon.co.uk

Had a look at those guys but they dont seem to have a unit for e60/61.

I could get one off aliexpress or andream but I've never bought from either & I'm not sure if it's worth the risk .Also Aliexpress say if I order from EU stock I dont pay vat etc. Just sound iffy

Advertisement