Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice/help required. 09 Renault Laguna

• 12-01-2019 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi everyone. First of all apologies if this question don't belong here. Mods feel free to move it if necessary.

Ok. So i own an 09 Renault Laguna 1.5 Diesel Estate. I was driving the other day when the altenator belt broke. Got the car to my local garage where i get my service done to get the belt replaced. Got a call from them asking if i got the timing belt done has they have no record if it being done. i wasnt sure so i told them to get it done. Got a call 2 days later saying that i have a problem with the car. i go to the garage and the mechanic tells me that when the alternator belt broke. a piece of it must have gone into the cover of the timing belt or bend a pulley which made the timing belt to jump and bend some of the pistons. Now the car starts but its super sluggish and smokes likes crazy. the mechanics said to me is because the melange in the chamber is imbalanced or something and is causing the car to only run on 2 or 3 cylinders.

Now i'm not a mechanic or car enthusiast. I know nothing about car but i found it a bit suspicious.

Can anyone tell me if any of it is possible. i thought that in my car the timing belt was under a cover so i dont really know if its possible.

My neighbour told me that if they missed a teeth while putting the timing belt back its would creates similar results like a sluggish start and a lot of smoke has the fuel mix wouldnt be ok in the engine.

Would anyone be able to shed a bit of light on my predicament. the garage now tells me i need a new engine and i dont understand how i went from having a car that was working to have the fan/alternator belt broke and need replacing and replaced to needing a new engine.

All help or advice welcomed. thanks for your time. LP64

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was the car running perfectly when you dropped it in?

It is a known problem of the aux belt damaging the timing belt on that engine though.

It does sound like they made a balls of fitting the new belt.

Like did they change the belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LP64

Thanks for getting back to me Colm.
    The car was working fine prior to the fan/alternator belt braking. They changed it and the timing belt. Just lost for words i understand the timing belt braking the engine if it snaps but i dont see how the fan belt could cause this? I don't know anything about cars even less thats its a known issue.

Sounds very suspect. If none of those symptoms were there before the work was done, and if they fitted a new belt to an engine with obvious damage, then something isn’t adding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

The mechanic is giving you a story, which may or may not be true.

When I hear 'bent piston,' rather than 'bent valves', I'm wondering did you pick him up wrong ?

Also, 'melange' is the French word for 'mix'. Is he French ? Because I've never, ever heard a mechanic use that term for the air/fuel mix.

There are other reasons why that failure could have occurred due to human error in the fitting of a replacement belt.

Was everything tightened up properly ? Timing marks aligned ok after engine turned over manually ? Were tensioners checked, and replaced if necessary ? Belt on right way around ?

If I felt strongly enough about it, I'd get a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

LP64 wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me Colm.
    The car was working fine prior to the fan/alternator belt braking. They changed it and the timing belt. Just lost for words i understand the timing belt braking the engine if it snaps but i dont see how the fan belt could cause this? I don't know anything about cars even less thats its a known issue.

How was it running on the way TO the garage?
    With just the broken alternator belt?

• Advertisement

. Got a call from them asking if i got the timing belt done has they have no record if it being done. i

This bit is the most suspect. If the damage was there, this question wouldn’t even need to be asked.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    This bit is the most suspect. If the damage was there, this question wouldn’t even need to be asked.

Especially if that kind of possible damage is a known problem, would it not make sense to double-check a new belt by rotating the engine, checking the pulleys and timing marks ?

The mechanic is giving you a story, which may or may not be true.

When I hear 'bent piston,' rather than 'bent valves', I'm wondering did you pick him up wrong ?

Also, 'melange' is the French word for 'mix'. Is he French ? Because I've never, ever heard a mechanic use that term for the air/fuel mix.

There are other reasons why that failure could have occurred due to human error in the fitting of a replacement belt.

Was everything tightened up properly ? Timing marks aligned ok after engine turned over manually ? Were tensioners checked, and replaced if necessary ? Belt on right way around ?

If I felt strongly enough about it, I'd get a second opinion.

Thanks for your input. i'm french so thats me using melange term. it could be bent valve i might have picked it up wrong to be honest.

defo thinking about getting a second opinion. the car was working fine when i dropped it

With just the broken alternator belt?[/quote]

the car was driving fine when the belt broke i didnt drive it over 30 and kept it at low rev.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    . Got a call from them asking if i got the timing belt done has they have no record if it being done. i

in your opinion would they have spotted the damage before changing the timing belt if it had been there? if the problem was there would they still have changed the timimg belt? also whats the chance of the mechanic creating the problem by changing the belt?. thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

the car was driving fine when the belt broke i didnt drive it over 30 and kept it at low rev.

There's your answer - if the timing belt was damaged when the alternator belt broke, it would have began to run badly (or not at all) immediately. If the car was running fine until it got to the garage, then it sounds like they either mistimed it when fitting the belt, or the belt got damaged in the garage after being fitted.

Gravelly wrote: »

There's your answer - if the timing belt was damaged when the alternator belt broke, it would have began to run badly (or not at all) immediately. If the car was running fine until it got to the garage, then it sounds like they either mistimed it when fitting the belt, or the belt got damaged in the garage after being fitted.

the car was running fine so i dont know where to go from there. should i pay them and get a second opinion?

the car was running fine so i dont know where to go from there. should i pay them and get a second opinion?

I wouldn't be paying them until I'm clear they didn't do the damage, and it sounds to me like they could have. I'd have a talk, and ask how come the car was running fine when it was left at their premises. If possible, bring someone that knows cars with you.

I wouldn't be paying them until I'm clear they didn't do the damage, and it sounds to me like they could have. I'd have a talk, and ask how come the car was running fine when it was left at their premises. If possible, bring someone that knows cars with you.

thanks for your help. the thing is they are not gonna admit they made any damage and i cant take it away to get a second opinion without paying. i am reluctant to give them any money.

i'm 100% sure the car was fine when i dropped it. except the broken laternator belt. so my question if the problem was there qould they have changed the timing belt? if the problem wasnt there and they changed the belt how do i found out if they messed it up? again thanks for the help

thanks for your help. the thing is they are not gonna admit they made any damage and i cant take it away to get a second opinion without paying. i am reluctant to give them any money.

i'm 100% sure the car was fine when i dropped it. except the broken laternator belt. so my question if the problem was there qould they have changed the timing belt? if the problem wasnt there and they changed the belt how do i found out if they messed it up? again thanks for the help

I don't know is the answer I'm afraid. It is essentially your word against theirs, unless you have a witness to the car having been driven to their premises. If you pay them and take it away, you can forget about getting your money back. I'd talk to them, explain that you do not believe the timing belt could have been damaged as you drove to their garage, and ask that the problem be rectified. If they flat-out refuse, I would be contacting a solicitor.

If I were 100% sure, I would talk to a solicitor first.

Find out whether or not you can actually take it away for a second opinion without paying them first. It's still your car !

Find out whether or not, even if you have to pay them, can you claim it back afterwards through eg the Small Claims process if a second opinion reveals that the fault is theirs.

Then I would go back to the garage.

How far did you have to drive the car, to get to the garage ? If it was driven any distance, damage to the timing would be obvious immediately.

Ask them how it was possible for you to drive it back in that condition ? If you didn't tow it back, and they didn't tow it back, who did ?

I'm not a mechanic, but I would have thought that serious damage would have thrown up fault codes as you were going along the road to the garage - air mass sensors, CO2 sensors or whatever.

All those fault codes can be seen by connecting a device to a special socket in your car (might be in the pouch under the armrest between the two front seats). You can get handheld devices now, plenty non-mechanics who are into their cars have them.

If those problems were not there when the car went into the garage, then...

Agree with Gravelly, bring someone with you.

Find out whether or not you can actually take it away for a second opinion without paying them first. It's still your car !

Find out whether or not, even if you have to pay them, can you claim it back afterwards through eg the Small Claims process if a second opinion reveals that the fault is theirs.

How far did you have to drive the car, to get to the garage ? If it was driven any distance, damage to the timing would be obvious immediately.

Ask them how it was possible for you to drive it back in that condition ? If you didn't tow it back, and they didn't tow it back, who did ?

I'm not a mechanic, but I would have thought that serious damage would have thrown up fault codes as you were going along the road to the garage - air mass sensors, CO2 sensors or whatever.

All those fault codes can be seen by connecting a device to a special socket in your car (might be in the pouch under the armrest between the two front seats). You can get handheld devices now, plenty non-mechanics who are into their cars have them.

i drove it about 6 miles all under 30 at low rev. thats my problem why would they replace the timing belt if there was damage already! it doesnt really makes sense

i drove it about 6 miles all under 30 at low rev. thats my problem why would they replace the timing belt if there was damage already! it doesnt really makes sense

It doesn't make any sense. Especially if you got no warning lights as you drove the car to them.

They should definitely have explained that it was a good reason to change the timing belt too, if they thought damage was a possibility.

If that was the reason for changing it, they should have been ultra-careful to manually crank it over before starting it up.

Sounds from what you've said that they added that timing belt job in since they were doing the other belt anyway, the timing belt was then put on incorrectly, and here we are.

Thats the thing. the car was fine when i dropped it short if the broken alternator belt. and that is what i wanted them to fix. just replace the broken alternator belt. but then they rang asking about the timing belt because they had no records of it being done. so i told them to get it done as well. now i might have damaged the car myself driving it but got no warning and the car was fine when i dropped it. when they rang to ask about thr timing belt and i tild them i didnt really had the money to get it done and they said i would have to sign a paper saying they advised me to change the timing belt and not doing it could results in problem down the line. thats when i told them to change it while they were doing the broken belt then.

i still come back to when i dropped the car it was ok. i might still have damaged it but shouldnt they have spotted that before replacing the belt? wouldnt the car have ahown problems when they started it driving it to the lift? and if there was a problem shouldnt they have told me before doing the timing belt?

if the car was ok then they changed the belt and might have damaged the engine while doing the belt?

am i paranoid or what?

Thats the thing. the car was fine when i dropped it short if the broken alternator belt. and that is what i wanted them to fix. just replace the broken alternator belt. but then they rang asking about the timing belt because they had no records of it being done. so i told them to get it done as well. now i might have damaged the car myself driving it but got no warning and the car was fine when i dropped it. when they rang to ask about thr timing belt and i tild them i didnt really had the money to get it done and they said i would have to sign a paper saying they advised me to change the timing belt and not doing it could results in problem down the line. thats when i told them to change it while they were doing the broken belt then.

Well, doing it certainly didn't prevent problems down the line.

But 'problems down the line' is only stating the obvious. If you don't change it, you will have problems. That's why the timing belt is a scheduled maintenance item. It has nothing necessarily to do with the alternator belt breaking.

Unless they told you 'this is a known possible problem with the Laguna - if the alt. belt goes, it can throw the timing out'. But changing the belt won't fix the timing by itself.

I think if you had damaged the car (and don't even concede to them that you might have) but if you had, you would have known about it straight away. And the garage would have seen it there and then.

Like I said, faults would have thrown up warning lights on the dash. And faults are stored on the car's computer. You can see them on a laptop or hand-held device.
    i still come back to when i dropped the car it was ok. i might still have damaged it but shouldnt they have spotted that before replacing the belt? wouldnt the car have ahown problems when they started it driving it to the lift? and if there was a problem shouldnt they have told me before doing the timing belt?

Yes, yes, and yes.
    if the car was ok then they changed the belt and might have damaged the engine while doing the belt?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Unless they told you 'this is a known possible problem with the Laguna - if the alt. belt goes, it can throw the timing out'. But changing the belt won't fix the timing by itself.

Like I said, faults would have thrown up warning lights on the dash. And faults are stored on the car's computer. You can see them on a laptop or hand-held device.

To be fair on every car with a aux & timing belt setup there is a high risk of jumping the timing if the aux belt breaks. They only break from severe neglect or contamination (power steering fluid leaks are a major culprit).

Replacing the belt would fix the timing as you would be lining up the cam and crank and not just fitting the new belt where the old one was, wouldn't fix any existing damage though obviously.

The timing system is entirely mechanical as would any damage done. This means its very unlikely to throw or store any form of fault code unless miles out and then you may get a cam/crank sync code but its unlikely the engine would even run at this point.

Having said that something doesn't add up in this story. The garage may indeed have messed up the fitting of the new belt.

To be fair on every car with a aux & timing belt setup there is a high risk of jumping the timing if the aux belt breaks. They only break from severe neglect or contamination (power steering fluid leaks are a major culprit).[quote/]

Good info, thanks.
    Replacing the belt would fix the timing as you would be lining up the cam and crank and not just fitting the new belt where the old one was, wouldn't fix any existing damage though obviously.

That's what I meant by saying 'changing the belt won't fix the timing by itself'. Replacing the belt will fix the timing if it's done properly. Plenty scope for a mechanic or an apprentice to get it wrong.
    The timing system is entirely mechanical as would any damage done. This means is very unlikely to throw or store any form of fault code unless miles out and then you may get a cam/crank sync code but its unlikely the engine would even run at this point.

The OP said...
    the mechanics said to me is because the (mix) in the chamber is imbalanced or something and is causing the car to only run on 2 or 3 cylinders.

Would that not throw up eg MAF or CO2 faults ?

And, do those scanners store time/date info ?

(I'm not a mechanic, as you can see:D worked on my own motorbikes for years though)
    Having said that something doesn't add up in this story. The garage may indeed have messed up the fitting of the new belt.

You wont get MAF or CO2 codes no, maybe a misfire code but that will take time and driving to appear and it would have to be bad

Questions for mechanics out there -

If the aux belt goes bang, and if there is a strong chance of upsetting the timing by doing so, would a garage not -

- do a compression test ?
    - manually turn the engine over ?

before anything else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you find yourself having to pay to get the car back, I'd be marking the payment to them us 'under protest/duress' - that way you are giving clear notice you are paying them under dissatisfaction and may seek to recover some or all of the monies. That is, you are paying them simply to recover your property (car) without any acceptance as to the quality of their work. Write the phrase clearly on their copy of the receipt they give you, so there is no way they can dispute your dissatisfaction in the future. Keep a copy, take a pic of it even.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Questions for mechanics out there -

If the aux belt goes bang, and if there is a strong chance of upsetting the timing by doing so, would a garage not -

- do a compression test ?
    - manually turn the engine over ?

before anything else ?

A compression test on a diesel is more difficult than on a petrol often involving removing the injectors, fitting a timing belt is often faster. Also compression may not drop very much depending on the severity of the problem.

Turning over by hand will not tell you much if the valves are already bent out of the way

rex-x wrote: »
    A compression test on a diesel is more difficult than on a petrol often involving removing the injectors, fitting a timing belt is often faster. Also compression may not drop very much depending on the severity of the problem.

Turning over by hand will not tell you much if the valves are already bent out of the way

They would just change the timing belt, and hope there's no valve damage ?

Jaysus.

Not much good to the owner now to say 'it was quicker to just change the belt'.

Interesting info though, thanks. I'm more used to petrol motorbikes, where even reseating the valves can have a big improvement in compression.

Sorry OP, if I've been leading you astray. Hope you get a good result, bonne chance.

They would just change the timing belt, and hope there's no valve damage ?

Jaysus.

Not much good to the owner now to say 'it was quicker to just change the belt'.

Interesting info though, thanks. I'm more used to petrol motorbikes, where even reseating the valves can have a big improvement in compression.

Sorry OP, if I've been leading you astray. Hope you get a good result, bonne chance.

Not in every case no, but to get an accurate reading you need to time the engine correctly. The timing may have jumped but depending on the engine no damage done.

If you just launched in did a compression test and it was low that may be due to the fact the timing is out rather than bent valves so either way the belt is coming off

In our garage they would do a leak down test in the case of a broken or slipped timing belt on a diesel. They would never just chance changing the belt.

• Advertisement

In our garage they would do a leak down test in the case of a broken or slipped timing belt on a diesel. They would never just chance changing the belt.

The problem with that is if the timing is off then the valves may be open at tdc skewing the test results. Timing should always be reset first and then leakdown/ compression after

Advertisement