Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin’s traffic it’s a two part problem.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There a definitely some jobs where you have to play ball and portray an image outside your working hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

Could you (or Cartman) perhaps give us examples of tech companies where this is the case?

You just had three people involved in tech telling you that the "tech hipster lifestyle" is not something they believe to be a thing. Perhaps you (or Cartman) are dialed into a very different part of the Dublin tech community than we are, so it'd be good for us to learn something new about our industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Patww79 wrote: »
    There a definitely some jobs where you have to play ball and portray an image outside your working hours.

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Such as?

People have been sacked before for not fitting in with a corporate culture or missing all the social events. Its not common but it happens.

Shai wrote: »
    Could you (or Cartman) perhaps give us examples of tech companies where this is the case?

You just had three people involved in tech telling you that the "tech hipster lifestyle" is not something they believe to be a thing. Perhaps you (or Cartman) are dialed into a very different part of the Dublin tech community than we are, so it'd be good for us to learn something new about our industry.

Google put a heavy emphasis on you joining in their corporate culture and making your friendships and social life very google centric, they have somebody you can ask to help find an apartment for you if needs be and if theres something available at grand canal or as near to their offices as possible theyll reccomend usually only those options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

People have been sacked before for not fitting in with a corporate culture or missing all the social events. Its not common but it happens.

Oh really? There was a chap I worked with. Came in, did his shift and went home. He didnt bother with any of the social events. Should he have been sacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Or people could use the train services already going from those towns. Infrastructure is already there, only investment needed then is additional trains (which are coming anyway). ‘Busses’ are inherently unreliable once traffic and incomplete bus priority is added to the mix.

Infrastructure is not there.

How more deluded can you get?

FFS.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No body in Google is getting fired because they don't go out for brunch on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Google put a heavy emphasis on you joining in their corporate culture and making your friendships and social life very google centric, they have somebody you can ask to help find an apartment for you if needs be and if theres something available at grand canal or as near to their offices as possible theyll reccomend usually only those options.

The people I know working in Google don't live in city centre apartments, don't have expensive bikes, and don't spend huge amounts on brunch, craft beer, or restaurants.

Google, like all companies, realize that the more time people spend at work the more work they are likely to do, hence the food and the social clubs. They don't expect people to live in the city, but if someone is coming to Dublin to work in Google and wants help finding somewhere to stay, they start with city centre apartments. If you are new to the city that's a safe default.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

P_1 wrote: »
    Oh really? There was a chap I worked with. Came in, did his shift and went home. He didnt bother with any of the social events. Should he have been sacked?

And more to the point, would he have been?

Not in any company I've worked in. If someone is good at their job and pleasant to work with, people may be sorry that they don't go for drinks after work but won't fire them for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Really ? Any example from Ireland?

Most people I work with are married with kids.
    They aren't going to a lot of social events, not least work organised ones.

Im not agreeing with it, has happened. Shouldnt happen but a lot of these american companies want a big cohesive 'family' of employees.

No body in Google is getting fired because they don't go out for brunch on Saturdays.

Nobody said that, at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Im not agreeing with it, has happened. Shouldnt happen but a lot of these american companies want a big cohesive 'family' of employees.

Honest question, have you ever worked for one? I have with several and while you might get someone high up flying in from America on occasion who drops in with those buzzwords everyone knows they're talking bollox, politely nod and ignore everything they say about "family" and various other American corporateisms

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some people are confusing the plotline of The Circle by Dave Eggers (the book, never seen the movie) with real life

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was sacked by google because i don't like avocados. fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you have any specific examples? Any case studies or court /WRC reports from the inevitable legal action that followed?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm in my early 30s and working for an Irish tech firm in the city centre.

My colleagues are paid pretty well, but most of the Irish ones are living in the outer suburbs and commute via PT. There's a noticeable trend of these people buying houses in the mid to late 20s. The non-nationals tend to rent in town and spend more money flying home every month or so than on avocado toast for brunch.

The older people (late 30s/early 40s) also mainly commute by PT. I'm one of the unusual ones who drives to work, but my role is somewhat less structured than others and allows me to work 10:30 to 7. This means I can use the port tunnel and thanks to the EV discount only costs me €3 a day. We've a deal with a nearby carpark that allows me to spend €5 a day for parking. My commute is only 23 mins, whereas by train it would be two 10 minute walks plus the 20 minute train, and the trains just aren't regular enough to be flexible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you're earning 70-100k you're not going to take a bus to work.
    not that i know how much david mcwilliams earns, but:

https://twitter.com/davidmcw/status/1080422869191049216

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

not that i know how much david mcwilliams earns, but:

https://twitter.com/davidmcw/status/1080422869191049216
    One whole person. And an idiosyncratic one at that. Good Job. That's akin to saying every prime minister dances on stage and quoting Theresa May as reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭cgcsb

What is this thread even about now? People making up prices of things?

BTW coffee is about €3, sandwhiches, even in fancy places are about €7, craft beer about €6 and you couldn't spend €50 on Brunch, even in herbstreet, without being rolled out of it to get your stomach pumped out. Brunch dishes are about €15 there. the maximum bike value on bike to work is €1000. If you're spending more than that you're talking an ebike.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

One whole person. And an idiosyncratic one at that. Good Job. That's akin to saying every prime minister dances on stage and quoting Theresa May as reference.

There have been several people over the last few pages talking about how they or people they know that make over a 100k have no problems taking public transport and regularly do so for commuting purposes. At this point, I am not sure what exactly you are looking for to either prove or disprove your assertion of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Shai wrote: »
    There have been several people over the last few pages talking about how they or people they know that make over a 100k have no problems taking public transport and regularly do so for commuting purposes. At this point, I am not sure what exactly you are looking for to either prove or disprove your assertion of this.

I think people are trying to say there is no point in building p+r’s in areas outside Dublin that allow commuters get on high frequency, high capacity pt, as people who earn 100k plus won’t use it! Lol!
    1000’s of people could be taken out of Dublin’s chronic gridlock if this plan was implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Gonna jump on this, having worked in tech fro pretty much 23 years, there is an emphasis on going to the pub after work for a few pints during the week and its usually to talk about work. You won't be sacked for not going but it can impact promotions, being in the loop, someone you can trust, he's a good guy etc.

The flipside being if you're not someone who can hold their drink you can do yourself serious damage in that environment, by shooting your mouth off etc.

The other things are there are countless meetups etc, that you are expected to attend on a monthly basis, most of them amount to nothing, but you're still expected to be there.

I have noticed that as my ability to not be able to attend these informal get togethers because I commute in and obviously cant go drinkingand have to be home, kids and all that, it can feel that I'm not as entwined in companies as once would have been.

That said all companies are different, but I do find that there can be more work done at the bar then in the office.

The Spider wrote: »
    Gonna jump on this, having worked in tech fro pretty much 23 years, there is an emphasis on going to the pub after work for a few pints during the week and its usually to talk about work. You won't be sacked for not going but it can impact promotions, being in the loop, someone you can trust, he's a good guy etc.

The flipside being if you're not someone who can hold their drink you can do yourself serious damage in that environment, by shooting your mouth off etc.

The other thins are there are countless meetups etc, that you are expected to attend on a monthly basis, most of them amount to nothing, but you're still expected to be there.

I have noticed that as my ability to not be able to attend these informal get togethers because I commute in and obviously cant go drinkingand have to be home, kids and all that, it can feel that I'm not as entwined in companies as once would have been.

That said all companies are different, but I do find that there can be more work done at the bar then in the office.

I'd agree with the above sentiment but would say that it's not so much "work" that is done at the bar/event/outside company meetup as much as promotions are decided, networking is done, and you build up a name and a brand for yourself.

Especially in large MNC

I'd agree with the above sentiment but would say that it's not so much "work" that is done at the bar/event/outside company meetup as much as promotions are decided, networking is done, and you build up a name and a brand for yourself.

Especially in large MNC

Agree I suppose that's the point I was making, much more likely to be in line for promotion if you're seen as someone to be trusted, who gets on with people and that can be held higher than the hard skills of most IT jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the thing is, cars cost virtually nothing to tax now. Given how rubbish transport here is, people wont give up the car unless they are paying for parking during work hours or can get there with a good time saving over the car.

I can see Dublin metro hoovering large amount of cars off the road, DU likewise. But in a city that cant even provide a decent basic transport system, LOL at even the notion of them solving suburb to suburb transport (by public transport)

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the thing is, cars cost virtually nothing to tax now. Given how rubbish transport here is, people wont give up the car unless they are paying for parking during work hours or can get there with a good time saving over the car.

I can see Dublin metro hoovering large amount of cars off the road, DU likewise. But in a city that cant even provide a decent basic transport system, LOL at even the notion of them solving suburb to suburb transport (by public transport)

When I worked in the city centre, there was no way I'd take the car, drove to greystones and got the train, traffic is a nightmare getting into town and would take longer than the train.

That being said I work in the south city now and there's no way you'd get me to take public transport over the car, few issues really when I took public transport and if there was an emergency at home, I'd have to leave the office, get to the train station, and depending have to wait half an hour for a train, then get the train for an hour, the train takes what it takes irregardless of traffic. Meanwhile I'm worrying about what's going on at home.

Now if I have to leave work in an emergency I hop in the car and am gone, usually home in 45-50 minutes if it's not at rush hour, and home is Gorey.

I think however if I worked in the centre of Dublin, like on the quays or the IFSC etc I would probably take public transport, so drive to the M3 parkway and get the train to Connolly. That would be easier than driving into the centre of Dublin and trying to get parking etc.

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »

The problem is how quickly the sprawl happens vs transport deployment. Theyre talking about bringing the dart to maynooth now, maynooth and leixlip etc.. on that line were where commuters were buying 30 years ago , young professionals are priced out of there by now. The reality of it is that people under 35 are always usually stuck with buying a place which is only commutable by car. Theyre in the mature chapter of their career by the time public transport arrives

Advertisement