Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people boast about not watching RTÉ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I watch RTE regularly, news, weather, current affairs and the odd other programme. I find it good in general But disappointed at their sports coverage lately and their commentators and analysts.
    I never listen to any of its radio stations, I tend to stick to local radio stations.
    I don't mind paying the licence fee either, but do wonder whether its good value for money given the huge salaries of some presenters, its only little ireland here, the population of a small city in a lot of countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

The organisations you just mentioned are tennants advocacy groups.
    Their social media feeds will promote stories that support their view.
    They won't be promoting stories of over staying tennants, landlords costs etc.

So they are not an independent news source.

It's called a filter bubble, and we are all falling into it, no matter how hard we try and claim not to be.

I'm not saying RTE are the gold standard or anything I just find it odd that people (those who claim never to watch/listen etc to RTE) would totally ignore it as a news source when it is local and free to access.

I dont ignore it I just prefare other sources.

I follow many accounts, pages and podcasts from all different sources which share different points of view, I cant list them all here as id be here all day but regardless, I like reading the facts and making up my own mind. I do often like to hear different opinions and points of view also which some of these sources also provide but I cant rely on everything I read/see on the internet so its extremely important to me to ensure the sources I engage with are credible and not biased or atleast to be aware of the bias and engage with more balanced sources that offer facts.

RTE isnt free - they charge a licence fee whether you watch/listen to them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Seems like a stupid idea to move considering the infrastructure is already in place. Think they did alright by selling off some of the land but the location makes sense, I like the national broadcaster and cultural institution being in a prime location in the capital.

Not stupid at all. Much of the equipment used could be moved as for infrastructure I'm sure that can be found already in other large centres in the country eg Galway or Cork. The prime location would fetch good money and some small aspects could be left jn place. Last but not least many staff will elect to retire early or take redundancy rather than move, new staff will come at a lesser cost. See channel 4's move in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I listen to newstalk, dave fanning on 2fm sat/sunday , some news programs on rte radio.
    The arts show on 7pm rte1 radio is very good for book and music reviews .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I don't see the value of RTE, apart from the odd hit like "Love/Hate".
    There are programs that have local interest, but maybe they should be the equivalent of cable TV in America and on low budget channels maybe even YouTube channels.

In fact, why should the taxpayer even pay for Tg4 ?

Have a referendum to write off the Irish language and switch to English.
    It would save hundreds of thousands if not millions to let it go and admit it's a dead language.

Write off the Irish language? How can you do that it's part of what we are and is not yet dead. It is still used by thousands every day in certain parts of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I don't see the value of RTE, apart from the odd hit like "Love/Hate".
    There are programs that have local interest, but maybe they should be the equivalent of cable TV in America and on low budget channels maybe even YouTube channels.

Have a referendum to write off the Irish language and switch to English.
    It would save hundreds of thousands if not millions to let it go and admit it's a dead language.

Far from dead, my kids all go to Irish school and the school is packed. Also kids with different back grounds, parents ect from other countries

One of the huge benefits of another language like Irish when young is you will pick up additional languages easier.

One of the worst recommendations I have seen on boards to write off the Irish language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

bluewolf wrote: »
    i actually watched an episode of the former once! it was better than i thought it was going to be

I'll take your word for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The Wire
    Oz
    Deadwood
    True Blood
    Generation Kill

Fairly decent return with just those. League matches as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Deadwood
    True Blood

Or as I'm sure they're introduced:
    Adhmaidmarbh
    Fuil Fior

It being a dedicated Irish language channel and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

With RTE's catholic agenda and their habit of making debates out of human rights issues etc. I don't see how you would need to watch it to stay informed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The_Kitty wrote: »
    With RTE's catholic agenda and their habit of making debates out of human rights issues etc. I don't see how you would need to watch it to stay informed!
    But you must enjoy coming over posters of Sharon Ni Bheolain

The Wire
    Oz
    Deadwood
    True Blood
    Generation Kill

Fairly decent return with just those. League matches as well.

But it's Irish language so must go, in line with the modern Irish self loathing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

But it's Irish language so must go, in line with the modern Irish self loathing.

Other Irish people would thinks it’s a good idea to kill our language....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

This has to be the 2nd worst thread on boards...ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

It's not just RTE people don't watch but live TV in general is not being watched by more and more people.

While I agree we should be in informed of the top issues of the day in this country [if we want to be informed] RTE just wouldn't let these things drop. They would be in the news, shows before the news and primetime shows after the news, hours of Oiracheas reports.
    Even if you managed to avoid these topics RTE found some way of letting you know about them through comedians or impersonators.

There is very little entertaining shows on RTE in a 24 hour period. Hell I even remember watching coronation Street on ITV rather than RTE because the adverts we're more exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Another factor could well be menu-driven programme selection interfaces, by which I mean that I select channels from the right-hand side of the menu i.e. I pick the programme I that interests me, and choosing that takes me to the station, not the other way round. I don't make a conscious choice not to watch RTE, but that's how it usually turns out. My wife watches a lot more RTE than I do, but even she too is following the programmes she likes, it's just that her likes take her to RTE a lot more often than mine take me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Because they think an extra €160 per household will stop families defaulting on their mortgages and becoming homeless.
    Spoiler alert, it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Master of the Omniverse

Most evenings all ya get on rte is pure ****e.They especially love murder,Irish murderers,american murderers,child murderers,women murderers,ffs,and the want us to pay for this rubbish.Wind down rte,tg4 is a far superior channel,and its not obsessed with murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If anything it's the people that can't accept that some people don't watch RTE that I don't get.

I mentioned here a couple of years ago that I had no idea what Love/Hate was. I can't remember exactly what the thread was about but Love/Hate was only part of it. I just mentioned in passing I had no idea what it was as part of a longer post and someone went into a rage telling me I was lying and that I wasn't cool.

I now know it's a soap that a traveller was in. I still haven't watched a single episode of it though.

I'm neither impressed or unimpressed by what other people watch nor would I boast about what I watch or don't watch. I have an Amazon Fire Stick that I can get Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube and a number of free channels on. That's not a boast. It's just what entertains me. I have no interest in anything on RTE so don't watch it. If you like it more power to you. Why people give a shite about this kind of thing is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,261 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Every time a discussion about RTÉ comes up, you’ll get the usual types who say ‘I just watch Netflix’, can nobody see how bad this is for society?
    It’s important to have an engaged public, a public who cares about what’s happening in the country, whose engaged in some way in public discourse and one important medium this can be achieved is through a national broadcaster.

with the variety of news sources avalable now i prefer to get mine form a a range of sources before decising whats happening (btw its usually a combination of all of them ).

rte is a goverment mouth piece take the climate change programs one sided and basically softening us up for huge tax increases without the comensurate replacement services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Master of the Omniverse

Rte is basically a government subsidiary,it should actually be its own department of government,they could call it the dept .of state brainwashing,the dept of overpaid Wafflers and chancers,the dept of money wasters and grabbers,you get the general idea,and I wonder what will rte do with the new broadcasting slushfund I mean tax that will probably be imposed on us whether we watch rte or not?Will we go back to watching rte just to feel like we are getting something for our money? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

pgj2015 wrote: »
    id say about 30+ hours per week. i watch nature docs, gaa and soccer shows, shows like room to improve, first dates ireland, music shows, at your srvice, loads more rte.

That is a strange combo !

That is a strange combo !

They're basically the same thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Every time a discussion about RTÉ comes up, you’ll get the usual types who say ‘I just watch Netflix’, can nobody see how bad this is for society?
    It’s important to have an engaged public, a public who cares about what’s happening in the country, whose engaged in some way in public discourse and one important medium this can be achieved is through a national broadcaster.
    It was a much more interesting time when people actually were engaged in what was going on, and not just consumed by the latest binge series viewing on Netflix(which is ****e btw)

Netflix is ****e ????

All of it ? really ?
    You must have very very narrow tastes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Well, the majority of it is tbh. I just don’t enjoy the format, the open-ended choice. I much preferred when I associated certain nights with certain shows, for example CSI Miami Thursday nights, RTE 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

If anything it's the people that can't accept that some people don't watch RTE that I don't get.

I mentioned here a couple of years ago that I had no idea what Love/Hate was. I can't remember exactly what the thread was about but Love/Hate was only part of it. I just mentioned in passing I had no idea what it was as part of a longer post and someone went into a rage telling me I was lying and that I wasn't cool.

I now know it's a soap that a traveller was in. I still haven't watched a single episode of it though.

I'm neither impressed or unimpressed by what other people watch nor would I boast about what I watch or don't watch. I have an Amazon Fire Stick that I can get Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube and a number of free channels on. That's not a boast. It's just what entertains me. I have no interest in anything on RTE so don't watch it. If you like it more power to you. Why people give a shite about this kind of thing is beyond me.

Love Hate was a drama centred around Dublin gangland. The traveller character was part of it, but certainly not all of it. I certainly would not describe it as a soap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Well, the majority of it is tbh. I just don’t enjoy the format, the open-ended choice.

When I go into a bookshop, I have no interest in 90% of the books on sale. I go to the sections and authors that interest me based on my tastes and preferences. Same holds true for Netflix — they offer a wide variety of content but you're not supposed to want to watch it all.

I much prefer on-demand with its superfluity of choice to the "take it or leave it" model of whatever happens to be on RTE that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Netflix is ****e ????

All of it ? really ?
    You must have very very narrow tastes ...

I'm thinking of cancelling my Netflix subscription because I do have extremely narrow tastes. I pretty much only watch documentaries, and the Netflix selection in that genre is limited and not generally to my taste...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I think the only thing i've watched on RTE this year was the champions league. Generally speaking RTE's output is shíte, it's a huge waste of taxpayers money. Expensively and needlessly regurgitating american and english crap that anyone who wanted to see could see on the freely available english channels anyway.

It's news and current affairs output is decent enough but it's stuck in the past - nobody waits till 9 O'Clock to get their news now, by the time it's made it to telly it's not news anymore!

RTE should be drastically scaled down to maybe a quarter or less of it's size now, shed all the mindless shíte it hemorrhages money on , drop the orchestras entirely, what is the point of 2FM? drop that too, and get back to being a public service broadcaster.

It can't just keep putting it's hand out for ever more cash to piss away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I agree we need RTE for Irish specific news, sport and culture. Even the orchestra's, not my thing, but they're important for a lot of people.

Scale back the dramas and light entertainment unless they're financially viable.

There is far too much fluff which is wasting money.

I was switching between Sean Moncrieff and Ray D'arcy the other day and the difference in quality was pronounced.

Advertisement