Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying Skis In Ireland

• 07-11-2019 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this doesn't warrant a new thread but the FAQ thread looked pretty old...

I've skied once or twice a season for 10+ years, and know the exact ski + length I want to buy as I feel great on them. Was going to bite the bullet and buy them last year but when we arrived in resort the brand wasn't very popular and couldn't get my hands on them (we went to France and I want Atomic Cloud 9s - there were none to be found!)

Anyway, to avoid that issue this year, I'd like to get them bought before I go. Does anyone have any experience of buying skis when based in Ireland? I can't seem to find any of the brick and mortar stores (Great Outdoors, Snow and Rock) stocking them so I'm wondering should I look online?

Any pointers to reputable online retailers would be great. Do you think I could buy online and then pay for set up and service in the next resort I visit?

Thanks a mill :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Skyfloater

I thought that after the airlines started charging fairly hefty baggage fees, that the days of Irish people buying their own skis were a thing of the past.
    I maybe sounding like a negative Nora but, are you sure you would want to be hauling it through train/bus stations, or trying to stuff it into a rental car that's already full of people and their bags, if you're going independent. Is it worth the hassle, especially as you won't be saving any money by buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Skyfloater wrote: »
    I thought that after the airlines started charging fairly hefty baggage fees, that the days of Irish people buying their own skis were a thing of the past.
    I maybe sounding like a negative Nora but, are you sure you would want to be hauling it through train/bus stations, or trying to stuff it into a rental car that's already full of people and their bags, if you're going independent. Is it worth the hassle, especially as you won't be saving any money by buying.

You speak the truth, have my own snowboard and its become more of a chore than a pleasure over the years trying to get it to whatever destination.

I know skis are different, but I reckon a better compromise would just be to have your own boots and or bindings, and not have to deal with the rented stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Last year we flew with an airline that included ski carriage, so that wasn't an issue. I don't mind paying a little extra anyway once I have the equipment I prefer. However, my big issue is that if I can't get the model that I love I end up road testing other skis and swapping and having a generally bad time for the first few days. (Have great boots already after years of trying and swapping - a narrow foot means the default rental never works out for me - but thanks for the suggestion).

I ski amazingly on the ones I've found and it makes me a happy camper. So I want to purchase to ensure I can have them when I want them. The whole group I ski with has purchased their own the past and they're all still delighted they did so.

Just looking to see if anyone here has any experience purchasing from Ireland. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

I have ordered ski from here: www.sport-conrad.com on a couple of occasions and I've had them delivered to Ireland without issue. They usually have some good deals with ski/bindings combos and they will mount the bindings for you if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

Just pop up to snowandrock/great outdoors explain what you are looking for and support the only local ski shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Snow and rock will also price match. I got them to match an online price when I bought our skis a few years ago. We don’t bring them anymore though! More convenient to hire a set in resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Thanks all. I hadn't considered that they may be able to order them in even if they don't stock them normally. I will pop to the shops and have the chats!

Price match is good to know about too! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Skyfloater wrote: »

I tend to agree. Renting skis is cheap, unless you're doing whole seasons. And while boot technology generally stays the same (you can have the same boots for years, and it's worth investing in a good pair) skis and skiing styles change quite dynamically and you'll be stuck with the same ones for years. It takes 5 mins to pick up a set in a rental shop. Unless I lived in a resort, I don't think I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

olaola wrote: »
    I tend to agree. Renting skis is cheap, unless you're doing whole seasons. And while boot technology generally stays the same (you can have the same boots for years, and it's worth investing in a good pair) skis and skiing styles change quite dynamically and you'll be stuck with the same ones for years. It takes 5 mins to pick up a set in a rental shop. Unless I lived in a resort, I don't think I would!

A once a season skier who buys their own skis needs their grey matter examined ....unless of course they are loaded and money means little.........the absolute pain in the butt of lugging them around, paying extra for carriage etc and skis become obsolete so quickly

Advertisement