Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hen Do - Groom's input?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Is this forum not to ask for advice on Weddings and topics around Weddings.

There are plenty of other forums populated with the "bitches" "women bashing" mantra that it is a shame to see it creeping into every forum.

Leaving a few bob behind the bar for a round for the Hens is hardly extravagant, yet people here are making out like the OP is like a millionaire throwing money around.

Maybe you took it up wrong that you had to arrange some activity OP, because leaving a few bob behind the bar for a round is not really an activity but rather a gesture that has gone on for years. Some may call it good manners or etiquette.

I'm not married but I have often been away and in the times that I have missed Birthdays, Weddings Parties etc, I have often rang the bar and booked a round of drink. I find people appreciate it and take the gesture in the way it's meant.

Some people read too much into things. Not everything is a persecution complex by the "Bitches" out to get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

anewme wrote: »
    Is this forum not to ask for advice on Weddings and topics around Weddings.

There are plenty of other forums populated with the "bitches" "women bashing" mantra that it is a shame to see it creeping into every forum.

Leaving a few bob behind the bar for a round for the Hens is hardly extravagant, yet people here are making out like the OP is like a millionaire throwing money around.

Maybe you took it up wrong that you had to arrange some activity OP, because leaving a few bob behind the bar for a round is not really an activity but rather a gesture that has gone on for years. Some may call it good manners or etiquette.

I'm not married but I have often been away and in the times that I have missed Birthdays, Weddings Parties etc, I have often rang the bar and booked a round of drink. I find people appreciate it and take the gesture in the way it's meant.

Some people read too much into things. Not everything is a persecution complex by the "Bitches" out to get you.

I didn't detect any "woman-bashing" in the thread and you're the first to mention bitches. So you may be one reading too much into things.

Firing money about to satisfy some recently adopted convention is worth questioning I'd say. Particularly when it seems to involve more alcohol consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I didn't detect any "woman-bashing" in the thread and you're the first to mention bitches. So you may be one reading too much into things.

Firing money about to satisfy some recently adopted convention is worth questioning I'd say. Particularly when it seems to involve more alcohol consumption.

Read the post above mine for clarity on the wording used. It references "Bitches" and implies all women want is to judge others and to suck on a stupid willie straw (but at the Grooms expense).

Also, leaving a few quid behind the bar for a party/event is not some "recently adopted convention".

It's been going on years as others have pointed out.

There is no indication from the OP that they are going on an alcohol fuelled bender and that leaving a couple of bottles of fizzy Prosecco is going to be a serious issue. People are adults and can control their own alcohol consumption at an event. The Groom paying for a couple of bottles of bubbly should not lead to a serious risk due to alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Iodine1

It is more absolute nonsense, associated with weddings. So hens, heading off to some far place and now need more drink supplied? They're not even married and they're drawing off the poor sod for this that and the other, just because someone else had it, and now dress it up as tradition. I'm here trying to think of something else I could sell at a wedding fare? What about cup cakes with bride and groom initials in the icing? Must be worth €9 each? What! it's been done already? Must be a tradition so.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

banie01 wrote: »
    And now is as good as time as any to learn a life lesson in not always getting what one wants.
    Expectation management if you will.

Just before the wedding, which she is spending every waking moment planning and thinking about? An excellent time to teach his fiancée how to deal with small upsets and disappointments in a calm manner.

I couldn't see that backfire on him in any possible way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Just before the wedding, which she is spending every waking moment planning and thinking about? An excellent time to teach his fiancée how to deal with small upsets and disappointments in a calm manner.

I couldn't see that backfire on him in any possible way.

TBH if you're only finding out at the hen or stag stage that your intended is someone with these sorts of aspirations then there's little hope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It is not a "Tradition"

This week is the first I've heard of it.

Wife reckons she's never heard of it.
    She's early 30s and been to God knows how many hens.

Not too many pints bought by the bride-to-be on stags either.

Typical wedding industry nonsense - inventing "traditions" since deBeers in 1939

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I've not heard of it either and been to lots of hens the last ten years, including my own. The Mr & Mrs quiz, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I think it depends on the couple, I have been to a few hens in the last couple of years and the groom had provided some form of drinks. For one, we all met in the brides house and were getting a bus from there and the groom had arranged a few bottles of prosecco, another the groom had paid the wifes portion of the night out, and another the groom had bought mini Jaeger bottles for everyone that was going to put in a goody bag. Yes, goody bags seem to be a thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The fiancé wouldn't be the narcissistic type or care for putting it all over FB/instagram. I think she just likes the idea of me making some sort of effort for her day.

As for the alcohol aspect, they'd be drinking wine at dinner regardless of whether or not I buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

irish_goat wrote: »
    The fiancé wouldn't be the narcissistic type or care for putting it all over FB/instagram. I think she just likes the idea of me making some sort of effort for her day.

As for the alcohol aspect, they'd be drinking wine at dinner regardless of whether or not I buy it.

Tbh, I think you’re wrong about that. If all she cared about was an ‘effort’, then she wouldn’t have told you to make a public display. And zero question, you were very much being ‘told’ to make a public display.

This is why I hate hen parties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

banie01 wrote: »
    And now is as good as time as any to learn a life lesson in not always getting what one wants.
    Expectation management if you will.

Solid advice here. One can’t always get what they want - Jagger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I'm an old fogey in these matters, but the "tradition" of a hen night is that it's her last chance to do whatever she likes while pretending you don't exist. Kinda hard to justify making some sort of effort under those circumstances ...

(P.S. are you not going to be making some sort of effort by turning up for the wedding ... ? :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I'm an old fogey in these matters, but the "tradition" of a hen night is that it's her last chance to do whatever she likes while pretending you don't exist. Kinda hard to justify making some sort of effort under those circumstances ...

(P.S. are you not going to be making some sort of effort by turning up for the wedding ... ? :) )

Tradition of a hen night for knackers maybe. What happens on bleedin tour wha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

...I think she just likes the idea of me making some sort of effort for her day...

Nothing at all wrong with doing ones best for the big day, but that is the wedding in my book at nothing to do with the groom having to participate in the hen.

My two cents would be that some of her buddies have had the same at their hens and she is worried about the tuttutery aspect should you not act in the same way.

I can’t help notice the language used around money. To “fire” money at someone kinda sums up the attitude to money in Ireland and the wedding industry is delighted with people “firing” money around the place without even thinking about it.

Maybe I’m different in that I don’t have money to fire, fling or throw. I only have money to spend depending on budget. This is probably a bit off topic.

I totally agree with you, I find it crass

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

qwerty13 wrote: »
    Tbh, I think you’re wrong about that. If all she cared about was an ‘effort’, then she wouldn’t have told you to make a public display. And zero question, you were very much being ‘told’ to make a public display.

I suspect the OP knows his fiancée a touch better than internet strangers do.

Mod note: All, if you can’t resist attacking a person you don’t know at all (i.e. the bride in question, who is likely a completely lovely person) then don’t bother posting. If I see ANY further references to women as “bitches”, I will immediately get the ban hammer out. This is your only warning on that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

I think things have gotten increasingly more crazy where weddings are concerned. OP, i'm sure she would appreciate a personal card in her bag that she can read when she's on the hen. If you'd like to buy a round of drinks, by all means, but there's no pressure. You do you.
    I didn't even realise this was the new thing tbh, but Instagram and other social media outlets, are fuelling all this pressure. Simple, elegant and fun occasions are the best. No fuss.

Advertisement