Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Wednesday Night War *Spoilers for AEW and NXT*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

sky88 wrote: »
    Seen a tweet earlier saying the 3rd hour of raw has more viewers than nxt/aew which I think says it all about wrestling.

There’s more money in wrestling than ever before but honestly feel it’ll hit rock bottom soon wrestling just isn’t as popular anymore regardless of how good shows are or aren’t

And the third hour is normally the one where the viewers drop off. As bad as the raw viewership is it's unfair to compare NXT and AEW to it because Raw had a 21 year and 26 year head start respectfully on this shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And the third hour is normally the one where the viewers drop off. As bad as the raw viewership is it's unfair to compare NXT and AEW to it because Raw had a 31 year and 36 year head start respectfully on this shows.

21 and 26

nearly added 10 years to my life reading that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

21 and 26

nearly added 10 years to my life reading that :D

I had 21 and 26 written and then changed it. No idea why I did that. Given I'm only 34 my numbers make even less sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

also it had to be hurt both ratings wise with the impeachment going on especially NXT with its over 50 demographic

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So reading the Dynamite is the most DVR'd wrestling show ahead of RAW, Smackdown and NXT.

When Live and DVR numbers are taken into account it's averaging 1.5m viewers a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Should we start taking DVR numbers into account for Raw, Smackdown and NXT and tack them on to ratings then?

Fair's fair.

That dvr is so moving the goalpost stuff it’s like should we include YouTube hits too next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I'm a big fan of AEW and catch the odd hyped NXT show but Christ dragging the 18-49 demos and DVR stuff into it is pretty pathetic from fans on both sides. Like I fully expect the Americans to get themselves into a frenzy over that crap but surely we have more sense here. Would be so much better if people just enjoyed the shows. It's not like soccer where you have to support a team :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

An NXT flag would be black and gold. What would the AEW colours be?

So 1.5 people watching episodes of AEW each is week is a terrible thing now because half of them Sky plus'ed/DVR'ed it.

The millions that Sky plus/DVR the WWE is a back thing to I guess.

Some fans just can't be pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

None of it is a bad thing. The stats your quoting, though, are clear goalpost-moving, just like the demos argument. “Oh it doesn’t matter they beat us in the ratings, we won the demo.” “Oh it doesn’t matter that they beat us in the demo, more people DVR us.” It’s like how radio stations will try manipulate the JNLR ratings that come out to say they’re number one, even if they’re number one in the ratings with farmers named Fergal from Buncranny. Part of having a reasoned discussion is reading through that waffle, hence people pointing it out.

I’m all for everyone saying let’s forget about the ratings and be happy with all the cool wrestling we’re getting from motivated companies, but if you’re gonna analyse the ratings (and there is a fun discussion to be had) then we have to look at the actual truth and not blindly buy into the spin either side is going to put out to make their product seem better. This isn’t helped, admittedly, by ‘journalists’ being biased and playing into the spin for the side they like best to confuse matters, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can we tack on illegal downloads while we're at it

to be honest I don't give a shiny ****e about the numbers of any show as long as it's entertaining to me and doesn't suddenly disappear but that's somebody elses job to think about

I'm just a consumer and want to be entertained so I can come here and bitch about bad storylines or commend good stuff I certainly don't want to be arguing about numbers enjoying AEW so far hope it keeps it up , I'm in the same boat as some of you can't stand the bucks .

Omega would be much better as a heel instead of what ever there trying to do with him now

Great to be back near million for aew

why in the hell over 500k people watched a glorified clipshow astounds me

https://twitter.com/AlexM_talkSPORT/status/1213123219332435974?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

sky88 wrote: »
    Great to be back near million for aew

why in the hell over 500k people watched a glorified clipshow astounds me

Our old buddy R***rt was harping on on twitter how the clip show was 800k+ and how he was praying they beat AEW (the man has a hatred for all things AEW which is just sad!)

Gone very quiet now! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Good for AEW, was a stacked show. Is ro**** actually Irish? Censoring cos they're def the type to google themselves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I turned NXT off after 10 mins. Don't know how +500k people could watch some shítty recap show instead of AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I turned NXT off after 10 mins. Don't know how +500k people could watch some shítty recap show instead of AEW.

Maybe AEW doesn't appeal to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

After being tight for a few weeks AEW have pulled away again in the last two weeks or so. Any thoughts on what's happened?

The one thing I really like about AEW is that you can see the story and feuds being firmly established now, whereas NXT still feels a bit scattered.

The latter seems to be going for an unpredictable vibe which I'm not mad about. Perhaps it's just a transition phase where new feuds have to be established.

I'm still not sure about Ripley as champ and feel she needs a strong feud asap; she was slingshotted into a hot feud and position, but now she needs to show what she actually has as a long term top star.

Cole has only been champion 6-7 months but the length of time he's been there is starting to jade me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

NXT just feels too sanitised for me, always in the same location and nothing ever feels different or must see.

In comparison AEW has a very vibrant and anything can happen kinda feel, different arenas, the upcoming cruise episode, their wrestlers appearing in other companies etc. Combined with Mox, Jericho, PAC, Omega, Luchas being big attractions AEW is just all round a better watch.

NXT just feels too sanitised for me, always in the same location and nothing ever feels different or must see.

In comparison AEW has a very vibrant and anything can happen kinda feel, different arenas, the upcoming cruise episode, their wrestlers appearing in other companies etc. Combined with Mox, Jericho, PAC, Omega, Luchas being big attractions AEW is just all round a better watch.

totally agree NXT i think its a good show and would benefit much more with a change of scenery even if it was 2 nights per month in a different areas it just looks bland.

AEW just kind looks better and feel just from ascetics alone and this week with the bash can change it week to week.

theres stuff wrong with both at any giving i think at the minute AEW has this brandi sized problem that makes me long for wwe at its worst were as NXT just arent capitalizing on good matches there having.

but still crazy how both shows together arent getting what a raw gets in its final hour generally so long way to go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Much preferred Dynamite this week

thought NXT was a bit poor in comparison, perhaps just a portland hangover

Much preferred Dynamite this week

thought NXT was a bit poor in comparison, perhaps just a portland hangover

would agree NXT was very flat this week actually nothing terrible just boring

i think both shows have fell into their natural viewership were they are right now

Thought I'd give this a bump to see how people feel a year on.

Dynamite has settled into the lead at this point but I think last night's show was indicative of a show that, while long term storytelling is clearly on display, there still seems to be an element of trying to nail everything to the wall week to week to be the ratings winner.

We had two prominent and developing stories in Omega's and and Sting's last night, and both took the same road; a lot of talk and a lot of subterfuge. I mean Kenny and Don basically cut the same promo Tuesday night so there's definitely a feeling of we know the destination, but we'll stumble through certain scenes when we've got nothing else.

NXT on the other hand has had some very average nights over the past year in what has been one marred by the pandemic, injuries, unnecessary call ups and a stagnating roster. But it is interesting to me that while Sting did and said nothing other than turn up to get a bump in ratings, NXT were developing new and interesting stories with Priest, Balor, Kross and Gargano's new faction. Maybe that's the result of NXT finally coming out of their own difficult transitional period.

Essentially I feel the War is dead, for NXT anyway. They've given up on competing week to week and that's starting to give positive returns.

AEW have done A LOT this year, and achieved a lot in that period. Dynamite really is a show that has demonstrated itself to be in a different league at times and at this point I probably watch more of it than Raw or SmackDown. However they need to be weary of falling into any false sense of security by overegging their position. No one needs a stacked show every week, especially if half of it isn't up to much.

Last weeks AEW beat this weeks RAW in the key demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Just watching NXT highlights. Finn and Pete Dunne are terrible on the mic god bless them. Also Scarlett bloody hell.

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1357436695214366721?s=19

That's a shocker of a rating for NXT with Edge advertised

I think the problem was the same for most people; there's not a hope of Edge challenging for the NXT title so all he was doing was turning up to pay lip service. Hardly riveting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I think the problem was the same for most people; there's not a hope of Edge challenging for the NXT title so all he was doing was turning up to pay lip service. Hardly riveting stuff.

It's the Royal Rumble winner! A guy who only returned to TV like 2 weeks ago and a legend in that company. There's no spin here. Other main roster wrestlers have popped a number when they've done an appearance on NXT. That Edge, after winning the Rumble, has not speaks to a far bigger problem of malaise with the product. That the Raw after Rumble rating was so low will have set alarm bells ringing, the rating from last night will only be more fuel to that fire.

https://twitter.com/Matmenpodcast/status/1366834447472095236?s=19

Supposedly this account gets a lot of stuff right. I've never heard of them myself so take with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Big if true. The NXT USA deal was known to be up reasonably soon and with the NHL moving to USA and their night being Wednesday nobody can say this is out of the blue. Puts an end to any Wednesday night war there may have been, and confirms some real bad takes on this first few pages of the thread.

Advertisement