Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Club Championships 2019-20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

citykat wrote: »
    Ye can’t beat breeding!

I'd say we are one of few clubs anywhere to have two direct descendents of All Ireland winners from outside of the county they play in (Johnno Bealin son of Paul and Rory Heffernan nephew of Christy). You'd see the next generation of the 96 panel pop up on the hurling scene, but the only other external AI winner I can think of is Shane McGuckin's lad Charlie who is a right bit of stuff for Naomh Eanna.

Actually, it keeps up a proud record in my own family. I had my father and uncles involved in all bar the first two of our nine county titles between 1965 and 1981, while my own brother and a few cousins have been part of 2010 and last Sunday. In fact, two of my cousins were the match-winners in each of the last two triumphs. Ye can't beat breeding alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

I'd say we are one of few clubs anywhere to have two direct descendents of All Ireland winners from outside of the county they play in (Johnno Bealin son of Paul and Rory Heffernan nephew of Christy). You'd see the next generation of the 96 panel pop up on the hurling scene, but the only other external AI winner I can think of is Shane McGuckin's lad Charlie who is a right bit of stuff for Naomh Eanna.

Actually, it keeps up a proud record in my own family. I had my father and uncles involved in all bar the first two of our nine county titles between 1965 and 1981, while my own brother and a few cousins have been part of 2010 and last Sunday. In fact, two of my cousins were the match-winners in each of the last two triumphs. Ye can't beat breeding alright :D

I think Rory Heffernans dad, Des, has an All Ireland club hurling title with Glenmore if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Well we finally did it, 57 years of trying and after 7 previous final defeats Padraig Pearses claimed the Roscommon Senior Football crown at long last. Despite dominating the game and being 7 points up against 13 men with 6 minutes to go we still needed a last gasp block to save the day.
    We had nearly 1000 people at the club house to welcome home the team and the celebrations went on long into the night and onto Monday.
    I read somewhere that there was 17 County Finals on last weekend that’s some amount of hangovers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

What happened there - that must go down as a big shock.
    So Slaughtneil are all in now for the hurling. What type of squad have they there now - will they be fit for Dunloy again assuming they beat Middleton and Ballycran respectively.

Asking a Derry person about hurling is like asking an accountant about farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Asking a Derry person about hurling is like asking an accountant about farming.

You do know Slaughtneil were in 3 Ulster senior hurling finals in a row doing a double 2016 & 2017?
    In 2016 they bet the 2012 All Ireland Senior club champs Loughgiel. And losing to Super clubs Na Pairsaigh(only 7pts) and Cuala in both semi finals.

What you thought would be a funny comment ended up making you look completely silly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Kiltale's reign as Meath Senior Hurling Champions is over as their 6-in-a-row bid was ended by Kildalkey in a comprehensive defeat in the final replay.
    Kildalkey were ferocious from the start and never let Kiltale settle for the entire game, making a mockery of their odds as rank outsiders. It was a tight first half which Kildalkey shaded 10 points to 8. But you felt that Kiltale would come out stronger in the second half. But they were even worse after the break, scoring only 3 points as Kildalkey racked up 1-7 to win 1-17 to 0-11.

Well deserved win by Kildalkey. I genuinely thought they had left it behind them in the last game as they let a 5 point lead slip late on against 14 men. But they somehow managed to up their performance to win their first title since 2011 and their 5th overall. They now play the Offaly Senior B champions Seir Kieran in the Leinster Intermediate championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Another outrageous studs showing tackle by goalkeeper Alan Nolan v Cuala. Somebody is going to get very seriously hurt if he's not stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Another outrageous studs showing tackle by goalkeeper Alan Nolan v Cuala. Somebody is going to get very seriously hurt if he's not stopped.

Haven't seen it, was he put off? Not exactly an isolated incident with this lad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Haven't seen it, was he put off? Not exactly an isolated incident with this lad either.

No card as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Frozen Veg wrote: »

Look. We're sorry we beat you. Saved you from being beaten by Laois :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ballysaggart V Causeway should be a good game in the Munster Intermediate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Connacht SFC

QFs

Tourlestrane (Sligo) v Pádraig Pearses (Roscommon)

Glencar-Manorhamilton (Leitrim) v Ballintubber (Mayo)

SFs

Tir Chonaill Gaels (London) v Tourlestrane / Pádraig Pearses

Glencar-Manorhamilton / Ballintubber v Corofin / Tuam Stars (Galway)

My prediction for the final is Tir Chonaill Gaels / Pádraig Pearses v Corofin.

Must be only 300 or so at the second Dublin semi final (in the stand at least).

Nobber won the Meath Intermediate Championship today, easily beating Trim by 4-16 to 0-13. Meath U20 player Jordan Morris got 2-5 while ex Meath senior player Brian Farrell got 1-7. Amazingly, only 4 Nobber players scored in the game. Bitterly disappointing performance by Trim who were in their first final since 2012 and went into today's game as favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Ballysaggart V Causeway should be a good game in the Munster Intermediate

That's a game worth seeing. Causeway have had a long lay off since their co. final win but I expect them to give it a good rattle, Kerry teams usually give a good account of themselves in this competition.

Ratoath are Meath senior football champions!!! Never thought I'd say that.
    In their first ever final they defeated Summerhill 3-15 to 2-13 in an extremely entertaining final. Summerhill have now lost each of the last three finals.
    For the second game in a row, Summerhill scored a goal in the first minute of the game. But Ratoath replied with an Eamonn Wallace penalty 3 minutes later. Further goals were added by Conor Rooney and Daithí McGowan before half time to lead 3-7 to 1-6 at the break. Ratoath got the first two points of the second half before Summerhill reeled off 4 points in a row to get within 5. But that was the closest Summerhill got as by the time Ratoath closed out their scoring, they were 10 up. Summerhill got 1-2 in injury time to put a bit of gloss on the scoreline.

For Ratoath, it's the culmination of decades of work to transform the club from a middle of the road junior club in a tiny village of around 500 people to one of the biggest clubs in Meath with around 10000 people in the town and the problems that brings.
    A lot of the players yesterday have been together since U-10 level and earlier and a lot of the coaches involved back then are still there today. There are players that have moved to the area and they've quickly become part of the club. We're managed by ex-Dublin goalkeeper Davy Byrne (who managed the team to the Junior title in 2012 and played in goals for our junior championship win in 2004). Our current goalkeeper, Shane Duffy, used to play for Monaghan while our captain, Ciarán Ó Fearraigh is originally from Gaoth Dobhair in Donegal.

What they've achieved is incredible. Less than 10 years ago, the team couldn't even reach the last 8 of the Meath Junior championship. If you had told anyone at that time that we'd win a senior title by the end of the decade, you would have been laughed at.

Onto the small matter of the Leinster senior club championship where Meath clubs have performed abysmally in recent times. Hopefully we can change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Congratulations Hammer, have seen the work going on in the club. I do hope they now advertise when matches are on and a more reasonably priced entrance to matches. Went down to watch one of the championship matches on in Ratoath and it was €10 euros in.

2 weeks ago I went to an intermediate championship quarter final in Dublin and there was no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Floppybits wrote: »
    Congratulations Hammer, have seen the work going on in the club. I do hope they now advertise when matches are on and a more reasonably priced entrance to matches. Went down to watch one of the championship matches on in Ratoath and it was €10 euros in.

2 weeks ago I went to an intermediate championship quarter final in Dublin and there was no charge.

County board set the prices, not the clubs

As Kenneth said, price of championship games in Meath are set by the county board so every club hosting a game has to charge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Both the Donegal senior and Roscommon intermediate finals this wknd were replays, and both ended as draw after extra time for second week running.
    The Roscommon intermediate final went to a penalty shootout (which was tremendous fun) while the Donegal senior final goes to a 3rd day next week.
    I think this is the first year that there is penalty shootout. Does county board decide to use it or not??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭Floppybits

As Kenneth said, price of championship games in Meath are set by the county board so every club hosting a game has to charge them.

They would need to have a rethink on what they are charging into the matches especially early rounds. Thought 10 euros was a bit cheap and turned the car round and went back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

That's a game worth seeing. Causeway have had a long lay off since their co. final win but I expect them to give it a good rattle, Kerry teams usually give a good account of themselves in this competition.

That should be a cracking game. You’d say with the Bennett’s on song Ballysaggart should win it, but no North Kerry hurling team will go down without dying with their boots on.

They would need to have a rethink on what they are charging into the matches especially early rounds. Thought 10 euros was a bit cheap and turned the car round and went back home.
    I agree. A few years ago they brought in €5 entry fees to all championship games and the attendances shot up. For whatever reason, they got rid of that and the attendances have been quite poor in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I was having a look at Dublin's club formats and see that they have a "Senior 2" Championship under their SFC, with the winner of the Senior 2 being promoted to the SFC and one team getting relegated from the Senior 2 to the IFC. Yet the Dublin IFC winner still qualifies for the Leinster IFC, despite being in my eyes the Dublin Junior champion.

Does anyone know what the story is there? Dublin clubs have an awful record at Leinster Junior and Intermediate club level relative to their senior success, so I find it hard to believe it's a deliberate handicap. You could end up with a scenario where the 13th best team in Louth or Longford plays the 33rd best team in Dublin in the Leinster IFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

There is a big gap between senior football and hurling and the lower grades. The B competitions in football came about because the 32 team format was ridiculously lob sided. Lots of unmerciful hammerings.

So yes, it is a but like the designation of the national hurling leagues. All 1A and 2B just so no one feels worse than they ought to. IFC would indeed be equivalent to junior A in most counties, And yes, Dublin clubs have atrocious record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Bonniedog wrote: »
    There is a big gap between senior football and hurling and the lower grades. The B competitions in football came about because the 32 team format was ridiculously lob sided. Lots of unmerciful hammerings.

So yes, it is a but like the designation of the national hurling leagues. All 1A and 2B just so no one feels worse than they ought to. IFC would indeed be equivalent to junior A in most counties, And yes, Dublin clubs have atrocious record.

Out of curiosity I had a look at Kerry's structures as I know they run very tight divisions (unfairly so according to some). The Kerry SFC has 8 clubs (plus the divisional sides) and their IFC has 12 teams. So Kerry send forward their 21st best club to the Club JFC, while Dublin send their 50th!

No wonder Dublin's record at that level is so poor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Out of curiosity I had a look at Kerry's structures as I know they run very tight divisions (unfairly so according to some). The Kerry SFC has 8 clubs (plus the divisional sides) and their IFC has 12 teams. So Kerry send forward their 21st best club to the Club JFC, while Dublin send their 50th!

No wonder Dublin's record at that level is so poor.

And no wonder Kerry's is so good. Its beyond a joke in fairness, 8 Senior clubs in Kerry :pac:

I wonder how Kerry's 50th best would fair v Dublins 50th

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

One of the combined district teams down here will only be picking from two teams next year

Kenmare District will only have Kilgravan and Tuosist to pick from next year as Templenoe will be a senior club next year and Kenmare Shamrocks are already a senior club

Like Austin Stacks could be our representatives in Munster this year if the Crokes are beat either on Sunday in the semi final replay or in the county final

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭munster87

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    And no wonder Kerry's is so good. Its beyond a joke in fairness, 8 Senior clubs in Kerry :pac:

I wonder how Kerry's 50th best would fair v Dublins 50th

If we go by league standings in football it's Beale vs Clanna Gael Fontenoy.
    Now to find a venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

I was having a look at Dublin's club formats and see that they have a "Senior 2" Championship under their SFC, with the winner of the Senior 2 being promoted to the SFC and one team getting relegated from the Senior 2 to the IFC. Yet the Dublin IFC winner still qualifies for the Leinster IFC, despite being in my eyes the Dublin Junior champion.

Does anyone know what the story is there? Dublin clubs have an awful record at Leinster Junior and Intermediate club level relative to their senior success, so I find it hard to believe it's a deliberate handicap. You could end up with a scenario where the 13th best team in Louth or Longford plays the 33rd best team in Dublin in the Leinster IFC.

Longford send their intermediate runners up to the Leinster Junior championship.

• Advertisement

Couldn’t find anything definite online, but is it still the plan to condense the club championships a bit further and have the All Ireland senior club finals in Dec 2020 for next year?

Advertisement