Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hotel in Ireland

• 03-09-2019 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Can any of you recommend a nice relaxing hotel,10 year wedding anniversary coming up and would really like a nice relaxing break.
    Any recommendations greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Monart

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If budget allows, Monart for sure.
    Get her a treatment for extra brownie points.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

Lough Rynn in Leitrim is lovely, very quiet & relaxing. Also Farnham Estate & Spa in Co. Cavan & The Heritage in Co. Laois are worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Ballinahinch Castle in Connemara, Regal Hotel on 400 acres, peaceful and stunning.

https://www.ballynahinch-castle.com/en/rooms?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrIu3v9G15AIVhrHtCh3ITQ4FEAAYASAAEgJtE_D_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Adare Manor. Nuff said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

Harvey’s Point in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Ashford....nothing better

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Thanks going check some of these out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Heading to a Lyrath this weekend for 20yr anniversary
    Will let you know how it is on returning

Been to Cliff House in Ardmore, highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Sheila’s Hostel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Not Monart, most over rated, over priced kip I've ever had the displeasure to stay in. Service/staff terrible, a small and cramped spa/pool area and the food was carvery level. Left Monart more stressed than when I arrived. Definitely just a place for the huns and yummy mummy brigade to get their Instagram likes.

Stayed in Faithlegg in Waterford recently and had no idea what to expect but was delighted with everything and would return in a heartbeat. Everything was perfect. Fantastic location too if you're looking for peace and quiet but within a drive of a big town.

The Europe hotel in Killarney, I've never been but I'm from Killarney and anyone I've ever heard talking about it has always said its amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Belinter House , near Navan is wirth a look.

Great afternoon tea, nice bar & garden, spa, hot tub, Eden restaurant in the cellar.

Had a look at bellinter can only seem to get a room in the east/west pavilion, does the main house not have rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

michdee wrote: »
    Had a look at bellinter can only seem to get a room in the east/west pavilion, does the main house not have rooms?

Main house does have rooms but wouldn't be put off by getting a pavillion room.

From the website - "The Main House at Bellinter has five bedrooms, four original Georgian rooms and one located in the attic which is a modern conversion. In the first floor rooms, through great big sash windows, guests can happily take in the views of the lush meadows along the banks of the River Boyne. They are spacious wood paneled rooms with extra large bathrooms. The attic bedroom is located on the top floor with a semi-seperate living area."

Some of the main house rooms have roll top baths IIRC.

We had a room in the wing to the left and it was really nice, with old beamed ceilings and deep windows overlooking the grounds.

If you do room only it doesn't seem to offer the main house. If you expand on the rooms available it list whats rooms are available including the main house.

FWIW Main House rooms are double the price of Pavillion Rooms

Thanks so much for all that info. I was afraid that the pavilion rooms would be small pokey rooms. Sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Brooklodge Wicklow

Something further afield: Rosleague Manor, Connemara (no spa in the latter but a beautiful setting/getaway)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Europe Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Can’t go wrong with Killarney and I’ve never stayed in The Europe but I’d go with The Lake Hotel. Loved it there, amazing setting, nice big rooms, great food. Bit old world and probably not to everyone’s taste but by far my favourite hotel anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Cliffhouse in Ardmore if you like great food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Collie D wrote: »
    I’ve never stayed in The Europe but I’d go with The Lake Hotel.

You should probably have stayed in the Europe before making that statement. It's probably the best hotel in the country.

Thanks all really liking the look of the cliff House, looks amazing, is it very fancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Had one night in adare manor recently. A different level to anything else I've stayed in this country..just unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Thanks all really liking the look of the cliff House, looks amazing, is it very fancy

No it let's me in :p

Joking - food is fab. Lovely sitting in the hot tub looking at the sea and it really doesn't feel stuffy or posh.

Another place to consider is farnham you can hang out in the pool area all day (it's huge with comfy couches and deck chairs) and dinner in the cedar rooms is fab.

Not in the same league as Ardmore (the tasting menu is fab) but you won't need to sell a kidney to stay there.

Worth a look

Also hotel Europe in Kilarney, a family member stayed there and raved about it.

Excellent suggestions thank you all

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Cliffhouse in Ardmore if you like great food.

Hotel was class
    Found the restaurant too much and ott
    You have to wear a jacket to dinner...f off
    Ya Michelin star but not for me

I’m currently on a weekend in Kilkenny
    Staying in Lyrath
    Top class, music in the bar

Just class

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

finbarrk wrote: »

Way below what you would expect. Avoid

Thanks booked the cliff house, looking forward to it. Will remember to bring a jacket for dinner, however opted for the bar rather than restaurant, found menu looked more attractive to me :D
    Looks great. Thanks for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Thanks booked the cliff house, looking forward to it. Will remember to bring a jacket for dinner, however opted for the bar rather than restaurant, found menu looked more attractive to me :D
    Looks great. Thanks for all the help

If you're a foodie you're missing out. The tasting menu in the restaurant is unbelievable and we got the suggested wine with each course. It was fab

And what's so wrong with dressing for dinner? But apart from that I'm pretty sure not everyone in the place was weaing a jacket for dinner.

You're missing out by not trying the restaurant (IMO) I eat often in the bar. It's nice but it's nothing compared to the restaurant...

I have vouchers myself for a return visit can't wait to eat in the restaurant again. But that's just me :)

• Advertisement

ImARebel wrote: »
    If you're a foodie you're missing out. The tasting menu in the restaurant is unbelievable and we got the suggested wine with each course. It was fab

And what's so wrong with dressing for dinner? But apart from that I'm pretty sure not everyone in the place was weaing a jacket for dinner.

You're missing out by not trying the restaurant (IMO) I eat often in the bar. It's nice but it's nothing compared to the restaurant...

I have vouchers myself for a return visit can't wait to eat in the restaurant again. But that's just me :)
    Agree, food wise the restaurant is top class but I’m not into all this faffing about with my napkin
    Every time I put it on the table they put it on my lap
    And my wine wasn’t left on the table

Advertisement