Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's 24h bus services

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Muller1991

Tallaght would still have that, Dun Laoghaire, Bray Train station, 145 Heuston and likes of 46a has both ends as can use the bus garage just around the corner.
    7 would have summer hill garage.

Many many routes have absolutely nothing at either end and nowhere near anything.

Basically the it plan is you can go to nearest garage and that isn't always possible as one wouldn't make it.

It's tough.

Yea I can imagine it must be tough for drivers on the likes of the longer routes such as the 44's 65 and even the cross citys, I wouldnt fancy being a driver on the 13's 15's 27s or the 40s if thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Muller1991 wrote: »
    Yep comes in through the port tunnel and then goes towards:

Point Village & 3Arena, North Wall Quay (Central Bank), The Convention Center Dublin, Irish Financial Services Center (IFSC), Commons Street, Talbot Street; The Central Bus Station (Busras), Connolly Rail Station, Gardiner Street, Cathal Brugha Street, O'Connell Street, College Green & Temple Bar, Christ Church Cathedral, High Street, Usher's Quay and Heuston Rail Station.

The 747 has operating along the Quays for the past few weeks. I don't know if it will return to Dame Street. It shouldn't. For a premium express service, it leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yea I can imagine it must be tough for drivers on the likes of the longer routes such as the 44's 65 and even the cross citys, I wouldnt fancy being a driver on the 13's 15's 27s or the 40s if thats the case.

44 has the helix at least if open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭john boye

The 747 has operating along the Quays for the past few weeks. I don't know if it will return to Dame Street. It shouldn't. For a premium express service, it leaves a lot to be desired.

What's the reason for that change? The news article on it on the DB site says it's only until October but it doesn't say why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Yep comes in through the port tunnel and then goes towards:

Point Village & 3Arena, North Wall Quay (Central Bank), The Convention Center Dublin, Irish Financial Services Center (IFSC), Commons Street, Talbot Street; The Central Bus Station (Busras), Connolly Rail Station, Gardiner Street, Cathal Brugha Street, O'Connell Street, College Green & Temple Bar, Christ Church Cathedral, High Street, Usher's Quay and Heuston Rail Station.

Thanks, if it does revert to that, definitely getting off at The Point the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Qrt

Tallaght would still have that, Dun Laoghaire, Bray Train station, 145 Heuston and likes of 46a has both ends as can use the bus garage just around the corner.

Many many routes have absolutely nothing at either end and nowhere near anything.

Basically the it plan is you can go to nearest garage and that isn't always possible as one wouldn't make it.

It's tough.

The canteen place at The Square has been closed for a long while. Drivers have to go all the way into the centre to have a slash. It’s actually disgusting the lack of respect drivers are shown in this regard, and I’d fully support them if they decided to go on strike.

Qrt wrote: »
    The canteen place at The Square has been closed for a long while. Drivers have to go all the way into the centre to have a slash. It’s actually disgusting the lack of respect drivers are shown in this regard, and I’d fully support them if they decided to go on strike.

I wasn't aware of this, I was told it was still in order...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭p_haugh

44 has the helix at least if open.

They also have the Student Centre which is open later. Often see some drivers there after grabbing a coffee in the shop.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

p_haugh wrote: »
    They also have the Student Centre which is open later. Often see some drivers there after grabbing a coffee in the shop.

Yes, the shop is usually open until 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Qrt

I wasn't aware of this, I was told it was still in order...

I assume you’re on about the old O’Brien’s yea? The octagon thingy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Muller1991

Qrt wrote: »
    I assume you’re on about the old O’Brien’s yea? The octagon thingy?

That O Brien's place is gone a long long time, Nah the staff canteen in the square is well hidden but also in plain sight. Its next door to Eddie Rockets and the ATMS on the 3rd level across from the terminus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It's tough.

Not being crude but the footpath by the 39 bus terminus in Ongar always stinks of piss! It's a long route and understandably, drivers have no alternatives. Unfortunately for them, what was previously an isolated location for them to merrily spend a penny in peace now has all these new semi-ds in Hansfield overlooking the terminus.

I'd love to see Ongar get a 24 hour service. A lot of immigrants in the area who are more likely to work unsociable shift hours so the route would do well. Airport to city centre should get priority though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The 1st of December is the date for the 41 to go 24-hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The 1st of December is the date for the 41 to go 24-hours.

Excellent 30 min or hourly freq?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Why isn’t the luas run nearly twenty four hour ?

Idbatterim wrote: »

Maintenance would be a big thing and it would turn into a travelling home for scum....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Whatever about the luas most main bus routes are wedged every evening from 9 and the last one is often crushed so it's long overdue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Given the lower passenger numbers at night. It makes more sense to run buses on similar routes 24/7. Look at London, the underground shuts down at night for maintenance and special night only routes by London Bus take over.

Great news that it is finally starting here.

Any info about the 41 stops in town changing at night? O'Connell St would seem like a more sensible starting point for a service like this, rather then Abbey Street. Or even better somewhere sought of the river, maybe start on Westmorland St.

I assume it will eventually be the A2 route from Dundrum to the Airport running 24/7. Or maybe the A4, but that won't go to the Airport, so doesn't make sense. Maybe a combined A2/A4 night route.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

bk wrote: »
    Given the lower passenger numbers at night. It makes more sense to run buses on similar routes 24/7. Look at London, the underground shuts down at night for maintenance and special night only routes by London Bus take over.

Great news that it is finally starting here.

Any info about the 41 stops in town changing at night? O'Connell St would seem like a more sensible starting point for a service like this, rather then Abbey Street. Or even better somewhere sought of the river, maybe start on Westmorland St.

I assume it will eventually be the A2 route from Dundrum to the Airport running 24/7. Or maybe the A4, but that won't go to the Airport, so doesn't make sense. Maybe a combined A2/A4 night route.

It's just going to be a normal 41..plus the 15 apparently is going 24hr on the same date

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Because us Irish would wreck it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ax586 wrote: »
    It's just going to be a normal 41..plus the 15 apparently is going 24hr on the same date

I know I'm nitpicking about what is great news, but it seems so half arsed to operate it out of Abbey Street. Very out of the way and quiet a dodgy street at night. If they go ahead with that location, I think they almost want it to fail!

I get that the 41 makes a lot of sense as it operates to both the Airport and Swords, but it's city center location is poor.

Wouldn't operating it on the 41n route between midnight and 6am not make WAY more sense?

The 41n route matches exactly what I was saying, it starts on Westmorland St, goes along the quays and then rejoins the 41 route at Connolly Station.

Much better starting location, right in the heart of the city, allowing folks from Temple bar and south city easily use it. Even has a 15 stop close by for easy interchange.

It will be insane if they use Abbey Street for this rather then Westmorland St. Hopefully they have more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

I know I'm nitpicking about what is great news, but it seems so half arsed to operate it out of Abbey Street. Very out of the way and quiet a dodgy street at night. If they go ahead with that location, I think they almost want it to fail!

I agree about the location but keeping the routing the same day and night simplifies things for customers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Excellent 30 min or hourly freq?

Every half hour.

https://twitter.com/brophytalks/status/1192376496272351232

Hopefully this is just the start of it, and we'll soon have 24 hour service on all the major spines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Is there any indications when / if such a service will be expanded to other routes? Or is this one of those things that they are going to 'trial' for a couple of years before considering rolling it out elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Disappointed none of the heaving 39/37/70 routes were included but that's the luck of the draw. I guess they're doing it in December to get the max passengers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I get that the 41 makes a lot of sense as it operates to both the Airport and Swords, but it's city center location is poor.

Wouldn't operating it on the 41n route between midnight and 6am not make WAY more sense?

The 41n route matches exactly what I was saying, it starts on Westmorland St, goes along the quays and then rejoins the 41 route at Connolly Station.

Much better starting location, right in the heart of the city, allowing folks from Temple bar and south city easily use it. Even has a 15 stop close by for easy interchange.

It will be insane if they use Abbey Street for this rather then Westmorland St. Hopefully they have more sense.

We have to just go with the Luas approach. Get it started somewhere unconnected, see the benefit and retrofix it as we go along...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

I'm guessing there keeping it away from the nitelinks for the time being and possibly move all night buses to operate around Westmoreland street once enough have started and the nitelink can be done away with completely.

In saying that, I do feel it should operate from Eden quay where it be more visible and also allow both the 41 and 15 connect with each other.

• Advertisement

Will bus connects change this?

You know the way it's said bus connects improves services well that's untrue as the route 14 as is now will be losing frequency.

It's actually went from a poor service to a very good one.

With bus connects it's going backwards.

Advertisement