Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a man living in his van

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Have you got one of those signs that says...

If this vans a rocking, don’t come a knocking?

Edited as just noticed you’re not getting much action currently, knock away folks!

• Company Representative Posts: 93 Verified rep I'm living in my van, AMA

I guess you move around a lot to try not draw attention to yourself.

What set up have you for cooking, shower, toilet, TV etc....

Does your insurance company know of the conversion?

Have you had issues with people noticing?

Have you been moved on by the five O....

When I started this, I was moving around every night to a handful of decent spots, like the bloody KGB were after me. Bit too paranoid I think.

But less so now, Mon - Thurs, I've got a perfect little spot where I'm in no one's way and no one can see me. Its very close to work, so my commute is under 5 mins to work car park.
    Weekends, I can be anywhere in the county / country so I park where ever.

Generally just don't get in peoples way, don't be obnoxious in your parking, don't block peoples front room windows/driveways etc.
    Use some cop on basically.

What set up have you for cooking, shower, toilet, TV etc....

I've covered the toilet / shower.

TV / Entertainment - all laptop and tablet at the momen, although I am putting in a wee 12v TV in , so I have offline entertainment when out in the wilds.
    This summer I'm going to put some money into the leisure battery: Li-Po and decent solar, so I can run a low voltage PC and other bits.

You find when doing this , you need very little and the technology makes it very easy.
    This all would have been a of rougher and more boring 10 -15 years ago, the tech makes it a lot more comfortable in the evenings.

Cooking

I have a twin gas hob stove with built in Sink, Ive built a unit around it and its all secured to the wall/ floor, contains gas bottle fresh water and gray water underneath. All quite compact actually.
    Im pulling it all out this summer and rebuilding it with tweaks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Wow such an interesting topic, cause no one have ever lived in a van before, go on youtube nobody does this. I mean how do they come up with this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Its a stealth camper van, right? Blackout windows.

Popular in the UK. Theres always a couple for sale on Donedeal.

Trick is to move around. Nobody would notice a transit van parked in their estate overnight.

Insurance? None of their business.

Desperate times, demand desperate measures. I would putting away serious wedge for a couple of years, then move on your cottage plan. Check out the guy on Youtube, Mossy Bottom.

You are a badass.

Why a Van though?
    Is it just so no-one knows? Like could you not have a little camper, already set up for living in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why a Van though?
    Is it just so no-one knows? Like could you not have a little camper, already set up for living in?

This would attract more attention and you would be moved on as most of not all councils have bye laws on these been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    Wow such an interesting topic, cause no one have ever lived in a van before, go on youtube nobody does this. I mean how do they come up with this stuff.

Christ but the whole thing is very black, pointless, stupid, black I tell ya.

Its a stealth camper van, right? Blackout windows.

Popular in the UK. Theres always a couple for sale on Donedeal.

Trick is to move around. Nobody would notice a transit van parked in their estate overnight.

Insurance? None of their business.

Desperate times, demand desperate measures. I would putting away serious wedge for a couple of years, then move on your cottage plan. Check out the guy on Youtube, Mossy Bottom.

You are a badass.

Are you advocating insurance fraud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

How long did the conversion take, and was there anything that didn't work out like you hoped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Are you upset some posters just assumed you like ladies without knowing anything about you?

• Advertisement

Does your insurance company know of the conversion?

Bit of a grey area, I have a few things I need to do to register the van as a camper. Once that is done - like in the next few weeks, Ill get camper insurance and tax and be legit. I actually have to buy a small car first to get camper insurance.

I am not comfortable doing this but my insurance is paid fully and I am trying to sort this out pronto.
    At the start of me doing this and for a good while, it was basically a mattress in the back of a commercial van. Eternally it looks commercial still.
    I dont want to cross lines or break rules, but felt my back was against a wall and I had to take some control when I started all this, Ive had some debt to clear,now thats done, I can sort all of this out, cause this stuff is actually expensive ironically.

Have you had issues with people noticing?

One nice lady asked me to not park in front of her view, she was very nice, I moved immediately, I did not actually notice her Window.

One chancer one night knocked on the door and tried the handles, I gave him a shout to ask what he wanted and he said 'Sorry , I thought you were locked in buddy' I think I surprised him, lol

Have you been moved on by the five O....

Actually zero trouble , ever, from the Police. I always have full compliance on the windshield , and change the lightbulbs when they blow etc.

I keep off their radar as much as possible, not that I am doing anything wrong.

Are you upset some posters just assumed you like ladies without knowing anything about you?

Are you upset that Johnny's trying to hijack your great thread and make it about some other BS?

OT, OP, have you ever had any times when you've been worried about your safety kipping in the van somewhere? What about security generally, do you take particular precaution to safeguard personal belongings?

Cushtie wrote: »
    Do you feel safe at night parked up somewhere in the city?

Pretty much, I mean, its Ireland!

A little bit of cop on goes a long way, and once you get familiar with your little rat runs , it all becomes routine. Like, this is totally normal to me now and I dont think about it at all anymore.

At the start, I was pretty nervous and full of self doubt doing this. It took me a while to get used to the vibe of it and sleep easy.

No, I feel safe, but I always have my eyes open and the radar on, and do not get myself into hassle in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

I presume you don't have a vent for your gas, given it's a stealthy setup - hope you have a Carbon Monoxide alarm at least?

tommy_logo.jpg

Do you go to the toilet in a bucket? Do you slop out in the morning?

I have covered this above, you can do this like an animal I suppose if you like , but with the price and availability of camper van stuff, no reason not to be as civilized as you can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    Are you advocating insurance fraud

It's not really insurance fraud though is it?

It would only be insurance fraud if he made a claim and lied when doing so

It might turn out that he would try to make a claim and his insurance would be invalidated. But that's his own loss

eviltwin wrote: »
    Is it not really cold at night?

Totally honest- I've learned the hard way.

My First Winter - in town was early Feb, I'd done a ****ty job on insulation, did not do my research, had no heating, no ventilation and a rubber mattress.
    It was bloody horrible, I can take the cold, its the damp that kills you. I did that for a few months.

I had spent every cent on getting the van, and had to move to start the new job, in the van.
    Defiantly questioning wtf I was doing at that point, lol

My second Winter - this one just passed - I had sorted out the insulation ( Heavy industrial bubble foil) , cut three windows in the roof - No more damp, at all.
    I only got a cheap Chinese desial heater in March this year, which is awesome, but I got away with it this Winter as it was not that cold.

Burning the two hobs, with a big Aluminium Reflector bouncing the heat at me was enough, basic , but with the good insulation it worked. Crack that Window tho or you die lol.

In next few weeks Im putting in a micro solid fuel ( Wood/Turf) stove in it, along with the Diseal Heater and the decent insulation, I will not be cold or damp again. Winning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

fair play for the lateral thinking , may i suggest a little portable projector takes up no space and works with all things esp a samsung galaxy s5 phone
    i spent about 2 years in my car, due to not wanting to part with my pet, and also not get into ridiculous sharing scenarios at my age. have a place now , but also a car that doubles as a mini camper when needed.

How long have you been living like this? How long do you expect to continue in this way?

What do you work at?
    How do you find keeping clothes washed, dried and suitable for wearing to work?
    What type of insurance do you have on the van?

It was two years in Feb. I think another 18 months /two years until I reach my financial goal.

What do you work at?
    White Collar , Professional.

How do you find keeping clothes washed, dried and suitable for wearing to work?

I use those Revolution Washer /Dryers. I say white collar, but its informal dress which makes it much easier.
    If any serious stuff comes up, I usually buy a cheap new shirt in Dunne's or the like.

What type of insurance do you have on the van?
    Covered this sticky one above

It's not really insurance fraud though is it?

It would only be insurance fraud if he made a claim and lied when doing so

It might turn out that he would try to make a claim and his insurance would be invalidated. But that's his own loss

What's it called when you don't provide full and truthful account to your insurance company, for example you fail to declare that you are living out and converting your van to accommodate this.

For example how you plan on heating said van, or will you be cooking in said van. People complaining about high insurance costs, yet everybody encourages this guy to omit pertinent information.

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Could you post any pics?

I dont want to blow my cover here lol ,
    I am ripping this all out and redoing it to a better standard. but I think this is will give you an idea:

https://ibb.co/yp3ynbp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

What exactly is your current power setup?

I assume you charge devices etc in work during the day?

Have you looked at joining a gym, something like flyefit would give you the roaming option and would be good for showering etc on the weekend.

Also regarding insulation, dampness and carbon monoxide. You should look at something like this, it could be easily retrofitted. It would get rid of the stale air very quickly without losing all the heat.
    https://www.i-sells.co.uk/kair-heat-recovery-extractor-fan-12vac-selv-humidistat

Wheety wrote: »
    Where do you receive post? What did you tell your insurance your address was?

I have a family home address I have been using for years anyway, as its a pain to keep changing details when renting. Family are good like that.

Any motor insurance implications?

See previous Post, but its Ireland, so probably. This is my main priority to sort out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

12v electric blanket for when you're sick and a second battery you can let run empty. It will keep you warm enough to sleep some of it off . Make sure you have fire and co alarm with a fire extinguisher.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,978 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No questions, just wanted to pop in and say fair dues!! Brave actions that I hope are paying off for you... And watch out for that carbon monoxide... Especially if you got a micro stove (you will need some kind of air vent if you do)

Danzy wrote: »
    Do you feel left out of the conversation when people at work complain about paying 1400 a month and you think that ****er went straight to your deposit account?

A tiny bit of guilt about not handing over hundreds a month - nope.

I got this down to science now, but its still a bloody mission doing it all, so anymoney Im saving, I feel like I'm nearly earning it twice , if you dig? No guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Set up looks manageable. Id join a gym and workout in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,821 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Don't have a question for you , just wish you the best of luck , stay safe .

• Advertisement

Did you ever head out on the piss and just park it within walking distance of the pub beforehand

Done that loads and it was great fun, but I've actually quit drinking 18 months ago, shortly after I started doing this lark.

Drinking in the back of your van on your own is not a good thing, lol, that penny dropped, so I quit drinking.

Non Drinking is a massive advantage to living like this, always able to drive at any time etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement