Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski Season 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

maddness wrote: »
    I've just booked flights to Munich for Friday 17th early flight and back late flight Sunday with a couple of friends. Will wait till a day or two before to decide on a resort.
    Be good to hear how you get on. Enjoy

Trip was great - a fair bit of fresh snow meant in effect the only powder in Europe. Got guide and hooked up with British guy via UK forum. Think he may be even more mad for the skiing than I am, which is quite an achievement.

Fieberbrunn was a bit quirky. Not sure I'd recommend it as a base. Some nice little side piste bits but guide took us off back of Saalbach predominantly which was excellent.

Lots of north facing slopes mean snow hold better and it is significantly shorter commute to Munich (about 40 mins less) than Saalbach. Mostly german speaking clientele. However, very little life in the place beyond a few apres ski bars at bottom of the lifts. Good wellness in town. Suspect most skiers would be better suited to staying in Saalbach or Hinterglemm and skiing over if need be. Having said that I'd still like to try Fieberbrunn specific off piste as I have a feeling over the other side it could be big.

a148pro wrote: »
    I'm not sure how convenient the lift / run down to Saalbach is.

Looking at the lift map (https://www.saalbach.com/en/live-info/lifts-and-pistes) it seems that you can ski down from Zell to one part of Saalbach and get the lift back up to Zell from there.

You can also ski down to that lift from other lifts in Saalbach.

However, you cannot get a lift from there back up to Saalbach.

If I'm right in that then in order to actually access the pistes in Saalbach from Zell you have to get a bus from the bottom to another lift in Saalbach. Unless those buses were super regular that would seem a pain in the hole.

Seems a remarkable oversight.

I gather there isn't a whole amount of co-operation between the resorts and perhaps a bit of rivalry, so its interesting they've even built the lift. There's long been a run down to Saalbach which apparently wasn't even on the piste map previously. Zell is trading well as a pretty resort in its own right and Saalbach is marketing itself as the ski circus with 3 - 4 interconnected resorts and is also very popular.

Sounds like a day trip between each of them best advice, if you have a car its only about 20 minute drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Rew wrote: »
    Looking at Zell am See in early March. How linked are the areas bit lifts and pistes versus busses?

There's a ski bus that links Schmittenhohe, Kaprun and the Kitzsteinhorn glacier.

Schmittenhohe was good for about a week's skiing but felt we'd seen pretty much the whole thing after 5 days, only had a day at Kitzsteinhorn though. Kaprun is tiny. The three areas aren't linked by pistes.

There is a link to Saalbach which is supposed to be open this season. I think you can ski down to Viehofen which is on the road to Saalbach. You can get a ski lift back up to Schmittenhohe from here I think or link into the Saalbach ski bus from here. There's a piste back down to Viehofen from Saalbach then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mulbot

Does anyone know what conditions are like in Europe.?
    Hasn't really snowed in a while.

Looking at Zell am See in early March. How linked are the areas bit lifts and pistes versus busses?

Per this thread not doing great at the moment - run down appears to be closed

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=147786&start=480

• Advertisement

mulbot wrote: »
    Does anyone know what conditions are like in Europe.?
    Hasn't really snowed in a while.

There is a very good "base" in the Western and Southern Alps, as in a lot of snow fell in the early season, probably enough to last them the whole season. Northern and Eastern Alps (primarily the lower resorts in Austria) haven't got a lot of snow

As you say hasn't been fresh snow for a while but talk of snow or weather breaking in about a week, remains to be seen, will be clearer in about 3 or 4 days time

I skied superb fresh powder last weekend IN Austria and am skiing there now but with kids and have barely been on the slopes proper, rope tow with the seven year old today, I gather conditions are quite nice and Spring like, i.e., the snow softens up in the sun but doesn't get crazy soft like in true Spring

But no doubting its been unseasonably warm

If you have a particular area in mind go to the snow reports section of english forum snowheads. You will find a bunch of ex pats talking about their grand kids coming out to see them and occasional references to snow conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

There is a very good "base" in the Western and Southern Alps, as in a lot of snow fell in the early season, probably enough to last them the whole season. Northern and Eastern Alps (primarily the lower resorts in Austria) haven't got a lot of snow

As you say hasn't been fresh snow for a while but talk of snow or weather breaking in about a week, remains to be seen, will be clearer in about 3 or 4 days time

I skied superb fresh powder last weekend IN Austria and am skiing there now but with kids and have barely been on the slopes proper, rope tow with the seven year old today, I gather conditions are quite nice and Spring like, i.e., the snow softens up in the sun but doesn't get crazy soft like in true Spring

But no doubting its been unseasonably warm

If you have a particular area in mind go to the snow reports section of english forum snowheads. You will find a bunch of ex pats talking about their grand kids coming out to see them and occasional references to snow conditions.

Snowheads can be painful alright.

Snowheads can be painful alright.

Did you settle on resort for next week yet? I remain of view you should have option of High and glacier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

2 nights next week where we don't get dinner in the chalet. Any recommendations for a nice restaurant for a date night in tignes? So excited to get going on my first ski holiday

We are going to Söll. It’s neither high or snow sure but to be honest it is so handy from Munich and it’s just a couple of days. Any couple of days skiing in any conditions is better than no skiing at all.
    Looks like a bit of snow at the end of next week now too. That will most likely change but you never know!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

We are going to Söll. It’s neither high or snow sure but to be honest it is so handy from Munich and it’s just a couple of days. Any couple of days skiing in any conditions is better than no skiing at all.
    Looks like a bit of snow at the end of next week now too. That will most likely change but you never know!

Every time ive been to Soll the snow has been great, going back this year again with the family. Its a very nice place and the people are very friendly.

Per this thread not doing great at the moment - run down appears to be closed

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=147786&start=480

We have booked into Hinterglemm instead

Every time ive been to Soll the snow has been great, going back this year again with the family. Its a very nice place and the people are very friendly.

That’s the kind of thing I hear from everybody I ask, it’s just a short trip and tbh I know we will have a great time. I’m lucky enough to get on three short trips this year and have had powder skiing a month ago and will be in Austria again in March so who knows what it will be like then.
    It does seem in the last few season that the early season has been excellent with loads of snow and January has been dry and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

I was there 3 years ago and there wasn't much natural snow before we went, but it was good when we got there. It was my first year skiing though, so I'd nothing to compare it to.

blue note wrote: »
    Any suggestions on somewhere to go for a mini moon? Say 25th Feb to 1st March, so not a full week. I'd be the weaker of the two and able for a few tough reds / gentle blacks. If we could get ski in / out it would be amazing. I have cervinia in my head. What's that like as a resort? Or would anywhere in France be particularly good. The problem is we don't want to rent a car so might have to pay for a private transfer, so ideally somewhere not too far from an airport.

We were in soll 3 years ago and Zell am see the last 2, so are leaning away from Austria. Although solden does sound interesting.

And I'm leaning towards a higher resort because it's late in the season. Is that fair or unnecessary?

Just provisionally booked accomodation in cervinia for 5 nights. Can't wait! Hope we're not too wrecked after the wedding!

Just provisionally booked accomodation in cervinia for 5 nights. Can't wait! Hope we're not too wrecked after the wedding!

Make sure to get to Chalet Etoile for a nice lunch, although the Swedish waitresses may tempt your marriage vows

There's a fancy hotel down from the town which might also be a nice splurge for dinner one night

Thanks, I'll look that place up before going. A few places look lovely on trip advisor in fairness.

Piecing together the holiday came together really easily. Got a return private transfer for €430. That's very reasonable. Flights are direct and about €220 for both of us return including bags. We won't pay extra to sit together which has the added advantage of giving me a couple of hours to watch a film!

Ski hire was very reasonable too. Might just book in a morning of a lesson for the second day too. Looking forward to heading over to the swiss side for a day too.

We won't pay extra to sit together which has the added advantage of giving me a couple of hours to watch a film!

Start marriage as you mean to continue

I now pay extra to sit apart, ideally on another flight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We have booked into Hinterglemm instead

Excellent choice! We're going back this year, after having a ball last year. And we also went there in the summertime with the kids.

It's the first time the group have rebooked the same hotel and resort (after 20 years) so it definitely ticks all the boxes for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 diabhail

Westendorf booked. Looking for a ski school recommendation for daughter - she would like to be in a school with English speakers if possible. anyone know what school the main Irish Tour Operators use?
    And any other advice from persons familiar with Westendorf will be gratefully received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mulbot

Having a great time in Serra Chevalier-even though it hasn't snowed in a while the pistes are in super condition, and lovely blue skies.Lovely place too. I'll see if I can upload a pic or two during week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

diabhail wrote: »
    Westendorf booked. Looking for a ski school recommendation for daughter - she would like to be in a school with English speakers if possible. anyone know what school the main Irish Tour Operators use?
    And any other advice from persons familiar with Westendorf will be gratefully received.

Been to Westendorf every year since 2009 ! Heading again on Saturday. Love the place. I'd recommend the Reds Ski school. Topflight use them. Would imagine there will be enough English speakers in the class. The instructors all have perfect English.

Any other questions feel free to pm me.

olaola wrote: »
    And we also went there in the summertime with the kids.

same hotel and resort (after 20 years) so it definitely ticks all the boxes for us.

What's it like in Summer? Is weather hit and miss? What kind of stuff do you do with the kids? Just back from Kinderhotel there and the hotel was so nice I am a small bit tempted by a Summer jaunt

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Skyfloater

What's it like in Summer? Is weather hit and miss? What kind of stuff do you do with the kids? Just back from Kinderhotel there and the hotel was so nice I am a small bit tempted by a Summer jaunt
    When it's sunny, it's glorious. But the rain can be really torrential.
    https://www.holiday-weather.com/kitzbuhel/averages/

• Registered Users Posts: 31 slightybonkers

trashcan wrote: »
    Been to Westendorf every year since 2009 ! Heading again on Saturday. Love the place. I'd recommend the Reds Ski school. Topflight use them. Would imagine there will be enough English speakers in the class. The instructors all have perfect English.

Never used the ski school the couple of times that I was there but I have friends who sware by the Reds also.... Lots of Irish in their groups
    Enjoy

diabhail wrote: »

second the Reds recommendation, have used them for years, and always been great
    https://www.schischule-westendorf.com/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

trashcan wrote: »

Hey looking at Westendorf for long weekend in late Feb. Best way to get there? Train from Munich airport? Any recommendations on accommodation? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

It was sensational! It was the first time we felt like we were doing stuff *with* the kids, instead of for them. We hiked every day, weather was beautiful - with one absolutely torrential storm that we sat on the balcony and watched. There are marked routes with different difficulties and loads of things to do with the kids.
    There's a decent water park just outside of Saalbach, which was worth going to too. And a tree top adventure place with ziplining, tree top pathways, natural water park etc. Fantastic. So much to do.

We stayed in a 5* hotel, half board (the food is amazing), pool, the whole 9 yards, with our 'Joker Card' which allowed us all the travel on the gondolas, free into a good few attractions, incl the water park for less than a mobile home in Lake Garda. DM for more info!
    Here's a few pics https://www.instagram.com/p/BzTdeymCYdm/ of one of the hikes.

crosbie wrote: »
    Hey looking at Westendorf for long weekend in late Feb. Best way to get there? Train from Munich airport? Any recommendations on accommodation? Thanks

For long weekends renting a car is best to maximise time on piste

• Advertisement

Looks like fresh snow from Friday....

Advertisement