Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Stars RTE

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I thought the Kerry full back might have got the nod ahead of the Tyrone guy. He was very good in the 1st all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Ah give over. Durcan completely deserves one but Boyles is a long way third in people hard done by the Howard inclusion at 6. Ryan McHugh performance against Kerry and Keogans against Clare were possibly the two standout performances in the entire championship. Keogan was phenomenal by all accounts against Laois also. Are we really comparing Boyle making a few good interceptions and being borderline motm in a poor quality qualifier against Armagh with the ridiculous performance McHugh put in against Kerry in the game of the year? Both had the odd poor performance also

Boyle was mayos best player and also their most consistant player this year. He was exceptional throughout. He was also selected on the sunday game team. I can only assume you didnt see many of the mayo games to come out with that. He is also a bone fida no 6, whereas mchugh plays in the half forward line in all but name.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Playing the roll of a halfback though to be fair, just higher up the pitch. Also, Mchugh is named at wing back but he doesnt really play there.
    But fair enough, give him one in the half forward berths if that suits you better, he was nailed on in either.

I would not begrudge Durcan his All Star at wing back, but when you look at that half forward line it would have been a huge ask to expect him to get one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I thought the Kerry full back might have got the nod ahead of the Tyrone guy. He was very good in the 1st all Ireland.

Morley is very underrated, he marked several of the best forwards in the game over the summer and nobody beat him. McNamee is excellent as well though, that was a close one I’d say.

Boyle was mayos best player and also their most consistant player this year. He was exceptional throughout. He was also selected on the sunday game team. I can only assume you didnt see many of the mayo games to come out with that. He is also a bone fida no 6, whereas mchugh plays in the half forward line in all but name.

Up until the final Super 8 game against Mayo McHugh was nailed on for an All Star at wing back. Just shows the vagaries in All Star Awards where one game late in the season can result in such a huge turn around in players fortunes.

• Advertisement

Morley is very underrated, he marked several of the best forwards in the game over the summer and nobody beat him. McNamee is excellent as well though, that was a close one I’d say.

If it did come down to the two of them then it was probably the Tyrone v Kerry semi final that swung it for McNamee with McShane`s performance.
    McNamee was well assisted by a Tyrone sweeper during the year. Kerry hung Morley out to dry in that semi with the lack of one who knew how to play the role.

charlie14 wrote: »
    If it did come down to the two of them then it was probably the Tyrone v Kerry semi final that swung it for McNamee with McShane`s performance.
    McNamee was well assisted by a Tyrone sweeper during the year. Kerry hung Morley out to dry in that semi with the lack of one who knew how to play the role.

Actually it was Jason Foley that marked McShane in the first half when he did the damage. They moved Morley over to him for the second half and McShane did very little after that.

Actually it was Jason Foley that marked McShane in the first half when he did the damage. They moved Morley over to him for the second half and McShane did very little after that.

I still feel that it was the Tyrone v Kerry game that rubber stamped the All Star at 14 for McShane so had they awarded awarded Morley the number 3 slot the optics would not have looked good. Especially with him being the recognised Kerry number 3 in a semi final where, as far as I recall, McShane scored 7 points.

Not taking anything away from McNamee, he had a great season, but unlike Morley who for much of the time was left ploughing a lone furrow, he, with how Tyrone set up, was rarely left in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I saw all of Mayo's games. He was exceptional down in Killarney? I'd suggest you watch that again. He had a very good game vs Armagh and was steady versus Meath, Donegal and Galway. A very good year no doubt but you're comparing that with superhuman stuff coming out of Keogan and McHugh. McHugh is given special attention every game he plays because of his threat from wing back and yet he still came out with some incredible performances. You can't compare Boyle keeping his man relatively quiet and making a few interceptions with McHugh kicking multiple scores per game or winning penalties. Same with Keogan.

Btw they don't assign players to certain positions anymore. It's 6 backs in any position and 6 forwards. That doesn't explain Howards selection granted but it means they don't need to select someone that plays centre back at 6

charlie14 wrote: »
    I still feel that it was the Tyrone v Kerry game that rubber stamped the All Star at 14 for McShane so had they awarded awarded Morley the number 3 slot the optics would not have looked good. Especially with him being the recognised Kerry number 3 in a semi final where, as far as I recall, McShane scored 7 points.

Not taking anything away from McNamee, he had a great season, but unlike Morley who for much of the time was left ploughing a lone furrow, he, with how Tyrone set up, was rarely left in that situation.
    Yes I think McShane was an automatic selection. He was brilliant in that first half of the semi but once Kerry made the change Morley shut him down entirely. If that game is what cost Morley the award then the whole thing is a sham.

It’s more likely that they thought Kerry had enough at four and there was another worthy candidate in Mcnamee so he gets it. No big deal really.

• Advertisement

Yes I think McShane was an automatic selection. He was brilliant in that first half of the semi but once Kerry made the change Morley shut him down entirely. If that game is what cost Morley the award then the whole thing is a sham.

It’s more likely that they thought Kerry had enough at four and there was another worthy candidate in Mcnamee so he gets it. No big deal really.

Actually more than likely a bit of both. Either way he was very unfortunate.

Did Morley shut him down? McShane kicked a great score with a couple of mins left, and made that goal chance that Harte missed with the fist about 15 mins from the end. I remember him being fouled for a couple of tap over frees in the second half also. Not saying Morley isn't deserving but McShane was constantly a threat that day

Did Morley shut him down? McShane kicked a great score with a couple of mins left, and made that goal chance that Harte missed with the fist about 15 mins from the end. I remember him being fouled for a couple of tap over frees in the second half also. Not saying Morley isn't deserving but McShane was constantly a threat that day

He was noticeably less effective in the second half anyway. I don’t remember the tap over frees he won but you could be right. Great player and well worthy of an All Star.

I saw all of Mayo's games. He was exceptional down in Killarney? I'd suggest you watch that again. He had a very good game vs Armagh and was steady versus Meath, Donegal and Galway. A very good year no doubt but you're comparing that with superhuman stuff coming out of Keogan and McHugh. McHugh is given special attention every game he plays because of his threat from wing back and yet he still came out with some incredible performances. You can't compare Boyle keeping his man relatively quiet and making a few interceptions with McHugh kicking multiple scores per game or winning penalties. Same with Keogan.

Btw they don't assign players to certain positions anymore. It's 6 backs in any position and 6 forwards. That doesn't explain Howards selection granted but it means they don't need to select someone that plays centre back at 6

Superhuman from keogan? Bit of a stretch to say the least. He was in the shakeup alright but he didnt do enough in their games aginst the better teams. Boyle was exceptional throughout, with a shedload of breaking ball, turnovers, good marking and good defending. This is what defenders are supposed to do and he did it better than keoghan did last year - the sunday game analyats thought so too.
    As for just picking 6 defenders, that isnt true. All you have to do is look st the full back line to see that. 2 out and out markers and a fullback selected. If what you are saying was true it would be 6 attacking half backs.

Superhuman from keogan? Bit of a stretch to say the least. He was in the shakeup alright but he didnt do enough in their games aginst the better teams. Boyle was exceptional throughout, with a shedload of breaking ball, turnovers, good marking and good defending. This is what defenders are supposed to do and he did it better than keoghan did last year - the sunday game analyats thought so too.
    As for just picking 6 defenders, that isnt true. All you have to do is look st the full back line to see that. 2 out and out markers and a fullback selected. If what you are saying was true it would be 6 attacking half backs.

Didn't do enough against the better teams? This despite his superb performance on Ciaran Kilkenny in the Leinster final when his team was completely overran. Compare that to Boyle's second half of the semi against the same. Keogan created 5 goals from wing back in 4 separate games besides that

I think I can remember you with similar nonsense in the 2017 thread. If i went and checked last years thread you'd probably be in there arguing DO'C should have one despite being knocked out in the qualifiers. Mayo played 8 games this year and lost 3 of them, being hammered in 2. Give the homerism a rest. Shouldve known not to converse when I saw your username.

If you were watching, they clearly explained on the All Stars show that it was 6 backs and 6 forwards selected, no lines. Hence Mannion at half forward etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Yeah he’s likely a sound fella, who has just been drilled by the Dublin machine into giving nothing away. He was asked about it being special this year doing 5 in a row and he just shrugged it off and sort of said it was nothing unusual and just another game. It was a typical big gaa star no personality robot type answer.

It’s great that you can analyse a man on a
    30 second clip, he like all the other Dublin players probably has a pain in his hoop listening to
    “Journalists” analysing them over the past few years and stuck it to her. Fair play to him.

Yeah you’re right let’s not any of us make comments on what we see happening on tv. Let’s instead just pick fights with other anonymous posters on sites like this.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    It’s great that you can analyse a man on a
    30 second clip, he like all the other Dublin players probably has a pain in his hoop listening to
    “Journalists” analysing them over the past few years and stuck it to her. Fair play to him.

So you can pick that up from the same 30 second clip, but he cannot?

So you can pick that up from the same 30 second clip, but he cannot?

Yeah. And if that poster is putting that theory forward for fitzsimons immature interviewee style, then it’s an even worse reflection on him. I suggest he try to develop some charm and charisma.

Yeah. And if that poster is putting that theory forward for fitzsimons immature interviewee style, then it’s an even worse reflection on him. I suggest he try to develop some charm and charisma.

Any links to that interview?

• Advertisement

Didn't do enough against the better teams? This despite his superb performance on Ciaran Kilkenny in the Leinster final when his team was completely overran. Compare that to Boyle's second half of the semi against the same. Keogan created 5 goals from wing back in 4 separate games besides that

I think I can remember you with similar nonsense in the 2017 thread. If i went and checked last years thread you'd probably be in there arguing DO'C should have one despite being knocked out in the qualifiers. Mayo played 8 games this year and lost 3 of them, being hammered in 2. Give the homerism a rest. Shouldve known not to converse when I saw your username.

If you were watching, they clearly explained on the All Stars show that it was 6 backs and 6 forwards selected, no lines. Hence Mannion at half forward etc

You can have your opinion on keoghan, im not really interested in a long winded debate on the thing. I agree he had a very good year, he probably fulfilled his long-flagged potential this year, which has resulted in many long time fans callibg for an all star. But I must point out to you, while he had a good year, there were 2 teams of the year selected this year, and he was on neither of them...

What I believe happened with the all stars was that the kerry quota needed to be made up, so clifford was included, despite there being 3 superior performing ff line players this year. From there, mannion was moved to wing forward, and howard to cb.
    What actually should have happened was clifford should have been dropped, mannion go to corner forward, howard to wing forward and boyle to 6.

What relevance is the Sunday game team? The indo picked McHugh, the Examiner Keogan and Waterford Whisperers picked John Madden in goal. All of that is about as relevant. John Small is a 3rd player well ahead of Boyle in the queue

What relevance is the Sunday game team? The indo picked McHugh, the Examiner Keogan and Waterford Whisperers picked John Madden in goal. All of that is about as relevant. John Small is a 3rd player well ahead of Boyle in the queue

The relevance is that 6 halfbacks were picked across the two premier teams of the championship selections and keoghan wasnt one of them. So obviously, it isnt only myself who sees it that way.
    Re john small, again, any media i have read namechecks boyle as being hard done by, a smaller number namecheked keoghan along with boyle. I didnt see any namecheck small....

I understand your opinion is boyle didnt deserve one, keoghan did and that john small was miles ahead of boyle in the running. Im just pointing out that opinion is at odds with most pundits in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I mean the likes of Bernard Brogan and Philly McMahon are great examples of engaging interviews. Despite their achievements and greatness, they come across as humble, yet still extremely charming and charismatic. Their personalities come across in their interviews.

God, that's a low. Having a pop at Michael Fitzsimmon's personality having never met him. Based on an interview on TV. Classy.
    I remember him being in the hotseat beside Gavin or Cluxton I think at the post-All Ireland banquet. And he seemed like a really nice guy. Charming kinda chap.
    But as I say, that's just based on a 5 minute interview on TV. I never met him either. But at least it's a positive view that I formed.
    People get nervous, especially in a room with hundreds of people, and several thousand people watching on TV.
    I was nervous doing a reading at my sisters wedding couple of weeks ago. One could easily form an opinion that I'm a stuck up prude. Well, if they only saw me couple of hours later - rockin out to Thunderstruck, tie on head, trousers rolled up. Right auld rebel I am!!!!!!!!!!

God, that's a low. Having a pop at Michael Fitzsimmon's personality having never met him. Based on an interview on TV. Classy.
    I remember him being in the hotseat beside Gavin or Cluxton I think at the post-All Ireland banquet. And he seemed like a really nice guy. Charming kinda chap.
    But as I say, that's just based on a 5 minute interview on TV. I never met him either. But at least it's a positive view that I formed.
    People get nervous, especially in a room with hundreds of people, and several thousand people watching on TV.
    I was nervous doing a reading at my sisters wedding couple of weeks ago. One could easily form an opinion that I'm a stuck up prude. Well, if they only saw me couple of hours later - rockin out to Thunderstruck, tie on head, trousers rolled up. Right auld rebel I am!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm. There are dublin fanpages whose only apparent purpose in life is to do exactly with guys like Aidan O'Shea, Cillian O'Connor etc, and are viewed practically exclusively as hilarious by the dublin support.
    In reality, if they want to dish it out they cant be moaning when a small bit comes back their way.

He didn’t come across as nervous in his interview he came across as extremely arrogant. Did anyone else on this thread actually watch the live show last week and wish to comment on the interview.
    Sean O’Shea was interviewed when he won his young player of the year award, he was nervous obviously but his words were both humble and engaging. Fitzsimons words were arrogant and even a bit rude.
    Jeez can’t even express an opinion now without some self appointed do gooder having a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭big_drive

I thought fitzsimons was fairly rude in the interview and came across badly. But I was delighted as I can’t stick Joanne Cantwell so was happy out that he made it awkward for her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

That is just what the all-stars is - really the fellas who won the Sam don't give a damn about it. The fellas that didn't look on it as some form of consolation. The supporters of the 31 counties (32 including London/NY) who did not win Sam view such awards as some sort of hope for the future.

I thought this until I read Rory Kavanagh's book.

It matters more than you think, even to the lads who have won the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Note

Can we now please move on from the critique of Micheal Fitzsimmon's interview.

• Advertisement
Advertisement