Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Season 2018/2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I will be spending  the season in Morzine, working.
    Really looking forward to it, never skied there before. We spent most of last season in Paradiski after a big life change in January.
    Starting to get excited now !!
    Where are you working? I spent a season in Les Gets a few years back. Some great riding over on the Avoriaz side. Bowls and chutes all the way to some cool parks, including 'the stash' where all features are in around the trees and made from natural materials and it has tons of different lines through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭maddness

mulbot wrote: »
    Trying to decide on Alpe d'Huez or les deux Alps for January-leaning more towards Alpe d'Huez so how would you recommend it? ( group will -advanced skiers,a few snowboarders,two 6yr olds and a mother-in-law(as a nanny:D).Thanks

Alpe d’Huez is probably a better resort for your needs but they are both good. Better nightlife in Les Deux Alpes but better skiing in AdH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Trying to decide on Alpe d'Huez or les deux Alps for January-leaning more towards Alpe d'Huez so how would you recommend it? ( group will -advanced skiers,a few snowboarders,two 6yr olds and a mother-in-law(as a nanny:D).Thanks

I'd recommend Alpe d'Huez over Les Deux Alpes for your group. Les Deux Aples is a bit of a party town.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

I have a couple of UCPA trips booked so far. Val D for New Years and Serre Chevelier at the end of January, both off-piste so hopefully the snow starts as good as last season!

I'll get in another couple of trips but might look for some last minute trips instead of planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

can i ask what ucpa courses you booked? i am looking at glenmore lodge for an off piste course, need to do my research on ucpa as well before i pull any triggers.

• Advertisement

can i ask what ucpa courses you booked? i am looking at glenmore lodge for an off piste course, need to do my research on ucpa as well before i pull any triggers.

I have booked the off-piste advanced for both trips. It's 4.5 days of off-piste guiding, equipment is included if you don't have your own. You get tranceiver training and a good bit of stuff about avalanche awareness. I find them pretty good to be fair especially for the price, you wouldn't get off-piste guiding for that price anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭millhousegirl

maddness wrote: »
    Having skied most of the big resorts in France and in Italy I reckon Italy is fantastic with some amazing resorts and stunning scenery, great food and wine, much cheaper than France and I find the people very welcoming. On the downside the lift infrastructure is probably not as good as France or Austria generally.
    Austria great too but I’ve only been there a few times so can’t give great advice!
    I still think France has the best skiing but you pay more for it.

I skied in both France and Austria but never Italy. Are there any resorts that you'd recommend for a small group of decent skiers? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I skied in both France and Austria but never Italy. Are there any resorts that you'd recommend for a small group of decent skiers? Thanks

What are your priorities? Dolomites are unspeakably beautiful but a long (3 hours minimum) transfer from Irish serviced airports and skiing can be quite spread out. Resorts in the Aosta valley (I've skied Pila and Cervinia) are about 3 hours from various well serviced Milan airports but Cervinia in particular lacks any really challenging terrain.

I second Italy as a destination though, very laid back, good wine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭maddness

Champoluc is fantastic for good skiers. It’s linked to Gressoney-Saint-Jean and Alagna and on and off piste skiing is as brilliant. It doesn’t have as many runs as some of the big French resorts but a lot of runs are very long and there is a great sense of traveling as apposed to just up and down. The town is quiet but has some lovely restaurants and plenty of good value hotels. I loved it so much in January this year that I’ve booked to go back again in December.

Sauze/Seistrere is also a great option as there is a lot of skiing and it’s great value too. Sauze town is nicer but Seistrere is higher so a safer bet for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I unfollowed the Winter Sports forum last year because I couldn't get away in 2018 and didnt want to read about it.

New Years now booked for Switzerland. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭mulbot

Has anyone experience skiing in Bulgaria? We are hopefully going to Alpe d'Huez on the 12 January,but we have had an offer to join some other friends on a ski trip to Bulgaria and we might be able to squeeze in this trip too. Any info would be appreciated.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Has anyone experience skiing in Bulgaria? We are hopefully going to Alpe d'Huez on the 12 January,but we have had an offer to join some other friends on a ski trip to Bulgaria and we might be able to squeeze in this trip too. Any info would be appreciated.Thanks

I skied years ago in pomporovo I think it was called, wasnt great but my second trip I think but even at that the skiing was very limited. Was about 12 years ago in fairness it could be a lot better by now. Night life was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Family went there, not myself, but I was told it's cheap for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Was there about 10 years ago, Pamporova with a big group and had a blast. Some development going on at the time so I’m sure it’s a finished resort by now. Transfer from Sofia airport was a bit of a hike, eating out was cheap, people nice, staff at resort friendly. Some in the group got lessons and the instructors were very thorough and kept going after the usual ending time in other resorts. Need to watch the snow though, was poor the first 2 days but then dumped snow. Lifts closed for one day but opened up for the rest of the week and was excellent.

Never turn down a ski trip offer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Where are you working? I spent a season in Les Gets a few years back. Some great riding over on the Avoriaz side. Bowls and chutes all the way to some cool parks, including 'the stash' where all features are in around the trees and made from natural materials and it has tons of different lines through it.

We are hosting a chalet, White Valley Lodge.
    Currently we are living in Burgundy so popped down there last week for a look.
    I have never skied there, but, looks great and we are very excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Obviously you need to tailor your expectations to suit the cost and resort, it’s not the 3 valleys.

Been to Bansko twice. Both times it was a big family holiday where we were picking up all costs.

The big negative is the queue in the morning, only one bubble up the hill. Another negative is the attitude of the staff working on the mountain, both on the lifts and restaurants, very rude, you won’t change it, even with ‘Irish charm’😂

Big positive is the cost, it’s about half the price. The town is fun and off the mountain the people are nicer, you do need to be careful when out though.

Regarding the skiing, once you are up on the hill it is pretty good. There are lots of beginners so if you are a decent skier there is lots of space higher up. You really need to be careful of skiers out of their depth and falling out of control into you.

We got one of the best lessons ever here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭mulbot

Obviously you need to tailor your expectations to suit the cost and resort, it’s not the 3 valleys.

Been to Bansko twice. Both times it was a big family holiday where we were picking up all costs.

The big negative is the queue in the morning, only one bubble up the hill. Another negative is the attitude of the staff working on the mountain, both on the lifts and restaurants, very rude, you won’t change it, even with ‘Irish charm’��

Big positive is the cost, it’s about half the price. The town is fun and off the mountain the people are nicer, you do need to be careful when out though.

Regarding the skiing, once you are up on the hill it is pretty good. There are lots of beginners so if you are a decent skier there is lots of space higher up. You really need to be careful of skiers out of their depth and falling out of control into you.

We got one of the best lessons ever here.

Thanks for the reply,good information. I know it's not comparable to the bigger places but I'm happy enough as I'll get to Alps d'Huez in January,. I've read about the long queue which isn't great but can work around that-I think i'll try stretch to get this trip in so,Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm slow to get going this year, trying to round up numbers but life seems to be getting in the way with the usual crew I go with, numbers have dwindled over recent years but usually there'd be a few biting.
    Will probably head back to somewhere in Austria though, ticks so many boxes, especially the apres end of it. Wouldn't mind trying France again, just for the infrastructure but the apres lets it down.

Saw this for anyone planning to head to Chamonix this winter: https://snowbrains.com/chamonix-cable-car-fire/ :eek::eek:

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Saw this for anyone planning to head to Chamonix this winter: https://snowbrains.com/chamonix-cable-car-fire/ :eek::eek:

I saw that, I only tend to go there late in the season, where the only area worth boarding is Grand Montets. Looks messy!

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    I saw that, I only tend to go there late in the season, where the only area worth boarding is Grand Montets. Looks messy!

I'm thinking they've no chance of having that repaired this winter, though I could be wrong.

DoraDelite wrote: »
    I'm thinking they've no chance of having that repaired this winter, though I could be wrong.

I'm having trouble placing that lift - don't recall ever having seen it. Do you recognise it? Is it the old lift at the base from a different angle? The article seems to say it is.

If it is, it's not too big a deal (for me anyway) the new lift is about 100mtrs to the left, has a much higher capacity, is far faster, and goes higher. In Spring there is no queue at either.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I'm having trouble placing that lift - don't recall ever having seen it. Do you recognise it? Is it the old lift at the base from a different angle? The article seems to say it is.

If it is, it's not too big a deal (for me anyway) the new lift is about 100mtrs to the left, has a much higher capacity, is far faster, and goes higher. In Spring there is no queue at either.

You definitely know it. Its the main gondola up from the carpark.
    les-grands-montets-lifts-in-argentiere.jpg?f=q(v=.8)&auth=3e8359abfd05c78c095a948ebc6caaa34e0e1466

At least they still have the Plan Joran bubbles still running.

You definitely know it. Its the main gondola up from the carpark.
    les-grands-montets-lifts-in-argentiere.jpg?f=q(v=.8)&auth=3e8359abfd05c78c095a948ebc6caaa34e0e1466

At least they still have the Plan Joran bubbles still running.

Worse than I thought, it's the lift at mid station, so Pointe de Vue will probably be closed this year 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Worse than I thought, it's the lift at mid station, so Pointe de Vue will probably be closed this year 😫

Ahh balls... I never thought of that. So that means the top of the Bochard is going to be the highest you can go without putting in a decent hike. :-(

Ahh balls... I never thought of that. So that means the top of the Bochard is going to be the highest you can go without putting in a decent hike. :-(

Seems to be, unfortunately. On a positive note, at least that means there will be no point buying the more expensive lift pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Staying in Hinterglemm at the end of Jan for a week. Bringing the nippers - himself will be doing his second year of ski school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

So defo looking like Ischgl this year

For those who have been, is it worth getting the Silvretta pass for an extra €40 or would the VIP pass suffice? We'll be on the slopes for 6 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Looking for some advice, have been to Les Duex, Soll & kitzbuhel with a gang of lads in the past but it looks like it will be a family ski trip this year.....wife skied once, 7 & 5 year old first timers.

Where’s the best family friendly places with a relatively easy commute from Dublin that has some decent skiing, not too pushed about the apres ski this year for obvious reasons! It will be mid term in Feb when going so i expeyit will be busy and expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭anthony500_1

Just booked soll for the 12 Jan. Group of 8 going so should be good fun. Can anyone suggest a good sports shop to buy boots in over there I can ski properly but I'm at the point now where I'm sick of rental boots and some not fitting properly and causing problems. I'd be looking for a proper custom fit. I don't mind paying the money but I'd like to get a good fitting boot. Tia for any suggestions

Advertisement