Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I fitted an auxiliary in cable this morning. The car has Bluetooth phone (doesn't do a2dp) so this will do for Spotify/podcasts.

I then remembered seeing nbt I drive from the newer f series cars fitted to an e39. So I checked if it can or has been done to an e46.

Turns out it can....

1-500x500.jpg

Meant to work really well and integrates with a lot of the cars functions.

Only problem is....it costs more than the car!

Aux in it is then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Anyone know the normal operating temperature of a 1.8 petrol 406? It doesn't seem to be going much past 70 degrees unless I leave it sitting there idling which seems a bit low. Thermostat stuck?

........ Thermostat stuck?

Just under 90 degs is the normal operating temp of most cars. If your stat is stuck open the temp gauge will fly down when on the move and move promptly higher when stopped and the air isn't flowing at the rad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Anyone using Carly for their BMW? I've recently purchased an lci e60 520d M sport and have seen a few places online suggesting its a worthwhile investment if you plan on upgrading lighting (to LED bulbs etc) and clearing fault codes. Would you recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Duff wrote: »
    Anyone using Carly for their BMW? I've recently purchased an lci e60 520d M sport and have seen a few places online suggesting its a worthwhile investment if you plan on upgrading lighting (to LED bulbs etc) and clearing fault codes. Would you recommend?

Yeah I have Carly and find it fantastic, has worked well on all my E39's and a few friends BMW's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Yeah I have Carly and find it fantastic, has worked well on all my E39's and a few friends BMW's.

Cheers. Yeah, it seems like a handy bit of kit. Does it clear all fault codes etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

How do you get Carly FN? Is it cheap? What about PASoft? I believe it's possible to get a free download of it but I'm not sure how legal it is let alone how it's done and then I've heard it uses windows XP which of course is pre historic....

How do you get Carly FN? Is it cheap? What about PASoft? I believe it's possible to get a free download of it but I'm not sure how legal it is let alone how it's done and then I've heard it uses windows XP which of course is pre historic....

You can get it on the Android/Apple store, think it's something like €40 for the full version and I got a standard cable from them, think that was another €35 or so. It's a dead handy mobile app that can do most diagnostics and some coding, well worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Spent the past few days away with Ms. Moneypenny on the wild atlantic way. Did Connemara down into the burren and west clare in her 1 series, they really are a cracking car and that 8 speed ZF box is just sublime. Drove in excess of 600km in 2 days and I wasn't one bit tired nor uncomfortable. I had a golf years ago which used to leave my back in ribbons after an hour or two driving which is a testament to the comfort of the 1er considering they are in the same class. Highly tempted to keep it when she decides to trade up.

The wild atlantic way really was a fantastic idea, so simple and cost shag all to implement as it was always there. It really is a revelation and as a driver, it is a great thing to experience. Added to that I must also say I was very impressed with the overall road condition. We drove out to Clifden and the road was so smooth for 99% of the way. The same with roads around West Clare too. This wild atlantic way, must have forced the councils to spend a bit of money on road upkeep and repair. Who needs the Healy Raes, considering the Ring of Kerry is dire in a lot of parts. We live in a fantastic country, we should really utilise what's on our doorsteps more. Has anyone done much of it?

• Advertisement

Duff wrote: »
    Cheers. Yeah, it seems like a handy bit of kit. Does it clear all fault codes etc?

Yep, can clear codes no problem and will give you fairly detailed idea of what the code is. Reads loads of modules, think 30+ depending on the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Anyone know if there is a website that shows how much tax you pay, by car model?

Looking for an automatic car, probably 2008 - 2011 DOP, fairly open on model but want something low in tax. Willing to sacrifice power if needed as my other half will be learning to drive with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Spent the past few days away with Ms. Moneypenny on the wild atlantic way. Did Connemara down into the burren and west clare in her 1 series, they really are a cracking car and that 8 speed ZF box is just sublime. Drove in excess of 600km in 2 days and I wasn't one bit tired nor uncomfortable. I had a golf years ago which used to leave my back in ribbons after an hour or two driving which is a testament to the comfort of the 1er considering they are in the same class. Highly tempted to keep it when she decides to trade up.

The wild atlantic way really was a fantastic idea, so simple and cost shag all to implement as it was always there. It really is a revelation and as a driver, it is a great thing to experience. Added to that I must also say I was very impressed with the overall road condition. We drove out to Clifden and the road was so smooth for 99% of the way. The same with roads around West Clare too. This wild atlantic way, must have forced the councils to spend a bit of money on road upkeep and repair. Who needs the Healy Raes, considering the Ring of Kerry is dire in a lot of parts. We live in a fantastic country, we should really utilise what's on our doorsteps more. Has anyone done much of it?

I done the wild atlantic way from Westport to Clifden numerous times a week for 2 years. Ruined my car :(

stdidit wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is a website that shows how much tax you pay, by car model?

Looking for an automatic car, probably 2008 - 2011 DOP, fairly open on model but want something low in tax. Willing to sacrifice power if needed as my other half will be learning to drive with it.

Motortax.ie will tell you, input the reg and it'll bring up its tax class.

Motortax.ie will tell you, input the reg and it'll bring up its tax class.

I know that, but I'm looking for a list of all car models and how much tax you would have to pay for each one. It would be a good starting point for me i.e. I could look at this fantasy list and decide I want to spend some time looking at car model x because tax for it is cheap.
    Maybe such a list doesn't exist and I'm just a lazy so and so!

Why is tax priority one? It should be considered obviously, but as far as running a car goes a difference of one or two hundred euro in tax a year is negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I done the wild atlantic way from Westport to Clifden numerous times a week for 2 years. Ruined my car :(

Sorry to hear that, I would imagine the road between Galway and Clifden would be better maintained than the one between Westport and Clifden so..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Sorry to hear that, I would imagine the road between Galway and Clifden would be better maintained than the one between Westport and Clifden so..

Ah it was just a load of different suspension parts that went in it. The Galway Clifden Road is (or was anyway) worse!!

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Why is tax priority one? It should be considered obviously, but as far as running a car goes a difference of one or two hundred euro in tax a year is negligible.

I didn't say its priority one, just a good starting/reference point in my search. I just want a car that's cheap to run as won't be doing high mileage.

Anyway, if anyone knows of such a list, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭cadaliac

stdidit wrote: »
    I didn't say its priority one, just a good starting/reference point in my search. I just want a car that's cheap to run as won't be doing high mileage.

Anyway, if anyone knows of such a list, let me know.

There’s no list, just co2 versus cost table on mywheels.ie
    Each manufacturer has a list of cars and their co2 figures
    You can use VTR calculator site if you have details of the car also.
    Generally, you should find the type of car you want, spending budget and work it out from there, as slight variations in models will have slightly different co2 emissions and could land in a different tax band.
    Insurance and running costs should also be considered, not just tax.
    Work out your overall cost to change/upgrade

• Advertisement

cadaliac wrote: »
    There’s no list, just co2 versus cost table on mywheels.ie
    Each manufacturer has a list of cars and their co2 figures
    You can use VTR calculator site if you have details of the car also.
    Generally, you should find the type of car you want, spending budget and work it out from there, as slight variations in models will have slightly different co2 emissions and could land in a different tax band.
    Insurance and running costs should also be considered, not just tax.
    Work out your overall cost to change/upgrade

Cool, thanks for the info.

The E46 has halogen bulbs, and tbh the dip beam is pretty poor. Main beam is fine. I have been reading about headlight options.

My dip beam have a projector. Does that mean if I fit a HID kit it will be somewhat proper and work well? Anytime I have heard about HID kits I think about getting blinded by blue/purple lights.
    Some thought is that a HID kit with a colour temp at 6000k will not be too blue and will look (from the outside) like OEM xenon as well as giving much better light output. The kits also defeat the blown bulb indicator.

The other option is buy 2nd hand xenon lights. This is more expensive, and will have the dash telling me I have blown bulbs. Apparently it also may through the millage tamper dot on my odometer:confused:. Anyway, that stuff can be coded out I believe, but again more work/cost there.

So should I:
    1. Leave my halogens as they are
    2. Buy a HID kit
    3. Buy a 2nd hand BMW pair of Xenon lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

The E46 has halogen bulbs, and tbh the dip beam is pretty poor. Main beam is fine. I have been reading about headlight options.

My dip beam have a projector. Does that mean if I fit a HID kit it will be somewhat proper and work well? Anytime I have heard about HID kits I think about getting blinded by blue/purple lights.
    Some thought is that a HID kit with a colour temp at 6000k will not be too blue and will look (from the outside) like OEM xenon as well as giving much better light output. The kits also defeat the blown bulb indicator.

The other option is buy 2nd hand xenon lights. This is more expensive, and will have the dash telling me I have blown bulbs. Apparently it also may through the millage tamper dot on my odometer:confused:. Anyway, that stuff can be coded out I believe, but again more work/cost there.

So should I:
    1. Leave my halogens as they are
    2. Buy a HID kit
    3. Buy a 2nd hand BMW pair of Xenon lights.

I'd go with the 3rd option but i don't know what the story with retro fitting xenons on an E46 is, on VAG stuff you generally just need a loom adapter as the plugs will be different, of course to be fully legal you'll need self leveling and headlight washers but F that lol i'd just make sure they were properly aligned and if needed you could swap in the originals for NCTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Xenons have to have headlight washers but as far as the NCT goes if they're not there it's fine. The problems arise when they are there but don't work.

Cheers fellas, yeah aware of the self levelling and wash requirements, but feck that, I'll live life on the wild side and do without.

Maybe HID will work fine, but my worry is that after 2 months one side would fail and I'd end up going the OEM route anyway. But I don't know what coding is needed for the OEM ones, and maybe the HIDs would be perfect.:confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cheers fellas, yeah aware of the self levelling and wash requirements, but feck that, I'll live life on the wild side and do without.

Maybe HID will work fine, but my worry is that after 2 months one side would fail and I'd end up going the OEM route anyway. But I don't know what coding is needed for the OEM ones, and maybe the HIDs would be perfect.:confused:

Would you not stick with the setup you have and try new bulbs?

That's an option too. I did that with another car before though and didn't really notice much difference, that's why I hadn't considered it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's an option too. I did that with another car before though and didn't really notice much difference, that's why I hadn't considered it.

I've had mine for 6 years, so I'm just used to it now I guess! I wouldn't be expecting a huge jump, but they will make a difference. It's the cheapest route for now, no huge loss in trying something brighter to see if it gets closer to what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

TBH 46s have terrible lights without HIDs and even then they are middling at best, you can fit a kit and it'll be a big improvement as you have the projectors anyway.

Just to make you aware though, I have seen in some semi-modern cars issues with HIDs loading circuits and momentarily "tripping" as you switch from dips/heads/dips. This isn't such a big issue on your car as if I recall correctly they don't switch off the dips when you switch on the heads, rather they leave both on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Had some great news today - my VRT appeal on the ST was accepted and I got a refund of €878!

The VRT calculator has the ST listed twice, both with different OMSP values. Of course I was charged the higher of the two which was an extra €650. This was daft and I even thought the lower OMSP was off, so decided to appeal.

I stated 2 cases for a refund. 1st was the duplicate entry in their system which I argued entitled me to at least the €650 difference between the higher and lower amounts. 2nd case was the lower OMSP being too high. I sent 8 pages of advert screenshots from pistonheads, autotrader and donedeal along with a table of all the asking prices and an average equivalent in €. I stated that OMSP is impossible to determine using the Irish market, so the UK market has to be used. I gave a calculation of UK average asking price + 15% Irish premium for the new OMSP.

In total I asked for a refund of €650 + €400 = €1050 in total. Was shocked and delighted when they posted me today stating the OMSP has been reevaluated and they met me in the middle. Never hurts to try :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement