Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NWA (National Wrestling Alliance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think this is a great show especially if you are a fan of Netflix's GLOW show.

It's a great show if you've watched any pro wrestling either at the time or have watched studio wrestling back online and are a fan of this type/era of wrestling. I like WWE and for better or worse I've watch it since 1994 so I've probably got stockholm syndrome or whatever it's called.

Anyway, my point is that GLOW wouldn't be most peoples connection to studio wrestling and yes it's a nostalgia hit but for lots of wrestling fans especially in America obviously it brings them back to some other time. That will work all the time. I know Jim Cornette is an acquired taste in regards to a lot of his non wrestling views, but on his wrestling views I think the guy is a genius. In the old days wrestling was presented as a legitimate fight between two people that was meant to look like they hurt each other but didn't, whereas now it's people in some cases doing stupid **** to try and impress fans but the difference is it actually does hurt at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

This show is becoming a real guilty pleasure of mine. Genuine laugh out loud moments, you could see the interviewer and Sandow (Aron Stevens) trying not to cack themselves at times in this week's episode - would remind you of the old Mean Gene interviews where he could barely keep a straight face.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I initially thought it was a joke, it's not bad for what it is though.

Interested to see where they go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The main events and promos are the highlight so far so I'm enjoying it, however the thin roster outside of the tag division shows painfully. The women's match for example this week was horrendous.

But ultimately I'm digging it, easy way to spend an hour. The more I listen to Eli Drake the more I wonder who he pissed off in WWE. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched the newest episode of Magnum PI and it had Aron Stevens displaying his acting abilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'd basically stopped watching any and all current wrestling as of late, but I've caught some of this NWA Powerr show on Youtube and I find it.... well, I find it entertaining. I find it watchable. And at just under an hour, it's not a show that overstays its welcome. Let's face it - a fair few wrestling shows have ruined things by having too long a running time. Anything over an hour and you'd better have something real good to justify it, imo. Even the classic AE WWE RAWs were maybe an hour and a half when you factor in ad breaks, and those had a whole host of legendary wrestlers week in and week out.

Doesn't look they're going for a stupid spotfest style for wrestling nerds to geek out over, either, and that's so refreshing for smaller promotions. Only minor criticism would be that they're going for the retro 80s feel so much that at times it threatens to veer into Southpaw Regional Wrestling territory.

briany wrote: »
    I'd basically stopped watching any and all current wrestling as of late, but I've caught some of this NWA Powerr show on Youtube and I find it.... well, I find it entertaining. I find it watchable. And at just under an hour, it's not a show that overstays its welcome. Let's face it - a fair few wrestling shows have ruined things by having too long a running time. Anything over an hour and you'd better have something real good to justify it, imo. Even the classic AE WWE RAWs were maybe an hour and a half when you factor in ad breaks, and those had a whole host of legendary wrestlers week in and week out.

Doesn't look they're going for a stupid spotfest style for wrestling nerds to geek out over, either, and that's so refreshing for smaller promotions. Only minor criticism would be that they're going for the retro 80s feel so much that at times it threatens to veer into Southpaw Regional Wrestling territory.

I love it and have watched all of them as they "air" yeah the show itself and the matches don't take forever. That's the one thing that actually annoys me(the rest is stupid but doesn't annoy me)about most modern wrestling is that every match seems to go on forever. I know nxt have had squash matches here and there. Why the opening match needs to go twenty minutes I'll never know. What happened to the humble fast opener of an event ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Thought this weeks episode was one of the best yet, definitely in terms of the in-ring stuff, Cabana/Storm was nice and had a good backstory to play off of. Great appearance from Thunder Rosa too, she is fantastic.

Again, a watchable hour. Probably the best thing you could say about any current wrestling show, tbh. Good meat and potatoes stuff.

Think Powerrr is the easiest wrestling show to sit through, it just flies by.

Another very solid showing this week, main event was really good, been a huge fan of Homicide since the Cop Killa days and feud with Corino in ROH, so always good to see him on my screen. Another excellent showing from Thunder Rosa too, definitely one to keep an eye out for.

• Advertisement

The NWA have just announced a new series - The Circle Squared. It will feature independent talents being given an opportunity to cut a promo in front of the Powerr audience each week. If they are well enough received, they will get an opportunity to move into the main roster. Interesting.

The NWA have just announced a new series - The Circle Squared. It will feature independent talents being given an opportunity to cut a promo in front of the Powerr audience each week. If they are well enough received, they will get an opportunity to move into the main roster. Interesting.

Given Corgan's teasing message last week I have a feeling they have a big / well known name or two up their sleeves. This would be an excellent way to spring them...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/CeeHawk/status/1196936758363119618?s=19

How does this make it to the stream?
    Cornette does not give a f*ck....

ERG89 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/CeeHawk/status/1196936758363119618?s=19

How does this make it to the stream?
    Cornette does not give a f*ck....

I hope the NWA doesn't ditch Cornette just because a few of the professionally offended take umbridge with an off the cuff comment.

At the end of the day, you're not going to be able to have an edge to your show without upsetting a few people and causing controversy.

Imagine trying to be a heel wrestler today. You have to try and make people hate you.... without p"ssing them off in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I hope the NWA doesn't ditch Cornette just because a few of the professionally offended take umbridge with an off the cuff comment.

At the end of the day, you're not going to be able to have an edge to your show without upsetting a few people and causing controversy.

Imagine trying to be a heel wrestler today. You have to try and make people hate you.... without p"ssing them off in any way.

Cornette in the last week has said he wouldn't trust Justin Roberts around children and now NWA have taken down their stream cause he's such a f**king liability. Imagine being a heel wrestler today without being able to play the starving Ethiopian wanting fried chicken card or calling someone a nonce, it's so tough alright. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You can have an edge and be an effective heel without going "Haha hungry Africans".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Cornette spends a good chunk of every podcast ripping apart "hillbilly redneck f**ks," "racist Trump supporters" and "low IQ Republican tw**s", yet all he is in the news for is being a hillbilly racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Blame is fifty fifty here, this was recorded and edited ages ago. Cornette might not be racist, but he needs to realise it's not 1985, you can't say that stuff anymore, and you shouldn't have then either. NWA should never have let this air, there's nobody who hears that in the editing suite and says 'That's fine'

brianblaze wrote: »
    Blame is fifty fifty here, this was recorded and edited ages ago. Cornette might not be racist, but he needs to realise it's not 1985, you can't say that stuff anymore, and you shouldn't have then either. NWA should never have let this air, there's nobody who hears that in the editing suite and says 'That's fine'

I've been watching wrestling, now, for a pretty long time, and I've heard and seen a lot of stuff that definitely wouldn't fly if it were pitched today. At the same time, a lot of this stuff would be on the WWE network, but somehow we can watch it and give it a pass (mostly). Cornette's from an older generation where did stuff did fly, and I'm presuming he's being told to go out there and give some old-school NWA commentary, and then he delivers a line from the very heart of 1989.

This is pretty much why WWE won't any time deviate from their established practice of scripting promos. They have too much to lose in terms of sponsorship and TV deals to let a wrestler go out there and say something that could be construed as in any way offensive. But at the same time, there is a whole generation of fans clamouring for a rawer product. You can have one. You cannot have both. NWA, too, will learn this as they go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I've been watching wrestling, now, for a pretty long time, and I've heard and seen a lot of stuff that definitely wouldn't fly if it were pitched today. At the same time, a lot of this stuff would be on the WWE network, but somehow we can watch it and give it a pass (mostly). Cornette's from an older generation where did stuff did fly, and I'm presuming he's being told to go out there and give some old-school NWA commentary, and then he delivers a line from the very heart of 1989.

This is pretty much why WWE won't any time deviate from their established practice of scripting promos. They have too much to lose in terms of sponsorship and TV deals to let a wrestler go out there and say something that could be construed as in any way offensive. But at the same time, there is a whole generation of fans clamouring for a rawer product. You can have one. You cannot have both. NWA, too, will learn this as they go on.

It's one thing for Disney Plus and the WWE Network to have things that were 'of their time,' it's entirely another thing for a company to upload a video with one of their commentators being racist.

It might be a figure of speech, as he said the same thing in 95, but it's still not okay.

I'm not for scripting promos or commentary, I am okay with editing out stupid sh*t people people say.

I'm not saying that Cornette is racist, he just said something racist and possibly didn't realise! In the same way, in the early 90's in Primary School when we were saying Eeny, meeny, miny, moe and one of us realised that were saying something wrong, Cornette should have understood the same.

• Advertisement

brianblaze wrote: »
    It's one thing for Disney Plus and the WWE Network to have things that were 'of their time,' it's entirely another thing for a company to upload a video with one of their commentators being racist.

It might be a figure of speech, as he said the same thing in 95, but it's still not okay.

I'm not for scripting promos or commentary, I am okay with editing out stupid sh*t people people say.

I'm not saying that Cornette is racist, he just said something racist and possibly didn't realise! In the same way, in the early 90's in Primary School when we were saying Eeny, meeny, miny, moe and one of us realised that were saying something wrong, Cornette should have understood the same.

Some of the WWE stuff wasn't even that long ago. It was a different era, but not in terms of sensitivity. More in terms of social media, which just didn't have the same kind of influence that it does now, and the numbers to instantly hit that critical mass of outrage.

Cornette definitely picked the wrong card out of his mental rolodex, but I don't think he should be fired over it. There aren't many out there who wouldn't look like amateurs compared to him, and his loss would make the show less watchable, week to week. Let him say what he wants, but also get a proper editor in there to check if anything goes over the line and deal with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Cornette has officially resigned.

What he said was thick, but it baffles me that the show was recorded, edited, etc and no one went "hmm, maybe we should cut this..."

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Cornette has officially resigned.

What he said was thick, but it baffles me that the show was recorded, edited, etc and no one went "hmm, maybe we should cut this..."

The editor should be the one getting the chop. That's a huge loss to them over something, while stupid and old-fashioned, came from an innocent place.

Well, to quote the other guy, "Pretty sure I've just watched my last episode of NWA Powerr."

Sucks that he has to resign, thought he significantly added to the appeal and quality of the show.

Sucks that he has to resign, thought he significantly added to the appeal and quality of the show.

Yes, totally. My previous post was a bit tongue in cheek, but really good wrestling commentators are damn hard to come by. I should say, in fact, that they are a dying breed. Good Ol' J.R. was once the best, but he's not what he was by a long shot. A lot of that is unavoidable, due simply to age, but Cornette, even nearing 60, could still really go. If they replace Cornette with some fresh-faced youngster, who you wouldn't know from Adam, the show will definitely lose some appeal. The NWA should find out what Dutch Mantell is at and if he's available to be involved. Cornette is not only a loss on commentary, but he's a most respected mind for wrestling psychology as well.

Big crossroads, here, for Corgan's fledgling NWA. They need someone of Cornette's stature in their corner to grow, imo. As I say, Mantell would be a good shout, if available.

Yes, totally. My previous post was a bit tongue in cheek, but really good wrestling commentators are damn hard to come by. I should say, in fact, that they are a dying breed. Good Ol' J.R. was once the best, but he's not what he was by a long shot. A lot of that is unavoidable, due simply to age, but Cornette, even nearing 60, could still really go. If they replace Cornette with some fresh-faced youngster, who you wouldn't know from Adam, the show will definitely lose some appeal. The NWA should find out what Dutch Mantell is at and if he's available to be involved. Cornette is not only a loss on commentary, but he's a most respected mind for wrestling psychology as well.

Big crossroads, here, for Corgan's fledgling NWA. They need someone of Cornette's stature in their corner to grow, imo. As I say, Mantell would be a good shout, if available.

Is David Crockett free ? I know he wasn't the best but his family were basically the NWA by the end. I still don't understand why it wasn't edited out prior to it airing. I'm a jim cornette fan because of his wrestling knowledge and can take or leave his political rants he has from time to time. Jim shouldn't have said what he said but by the same token someone in charge should have heard in prior to last night and taken it out or done something to if not save cornette but to stop
    Billy Corgan and Dave Lagana from having to deal with this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Anyways.....when I first saw Marti Belle a couple of weeks ago I didn't think much of her, but good on her because a faction of her, Rosa and Melinda looks promising. Definitely caught my attention. Only problem is that I don't see Kay as quite the strong enough face to go up against them.

The whole Kamille thing is being dragged out a bit at this stage. Not a strong enough storyline to being hanging the hat of your world champion on.

Anyways.....when I first saw Marti Belle a couple of weeks ago I didn't think much of her, but good on her because a faction of her, Rosa and Melinda looks promising. Definitely caught my attention. Only problem is that I don't see Kay as quite the strong enough face to go up against them.

The whole Kamille thing is being dragged out a bit at this stage. Not a strong enough storyline to being hanging the hat of your world champion on.

Marti belle is good enough in the ring I just wouldn't let her talk again until she becomes more comfortable at it. Melina will help just from her experience alone. The question mark is just over like **** and he's a guy under a mask. A simple thing done right imagine that. Yeah at the start her not talking was interesting because you had to watch because she might talk the next week but it's been seven weeks now so it's time to talk or go home.

• Advertisement

That and Kamille is sort of nicking the Spiritual Advisor's gimmick.

Advertisement