Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Do you wear it pretty long?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

the tighter i cut the hair, the better it looks

Rikand wrote: »

I think it depends.

If you use footballers as an example - I always think Slaven Bilic's looks really patchy and he keeps it short, whereas Klopp and Conte's both look good even when it's windy, think they would pass for natural if you didn't know them (excuse the size, not sure how to make smaller!)
    ElSWkyOXgAY4MR3?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Monokne wrote: »
    I think it depends.

If you use footballers as an example - I always think Slaven Bilic's looks really patchy and he keeps it short, whereas Klopp and Conte's both look good even when it's windy, think they would pass for natural if you didn't know them (excuse the size, not sure how to make smaller!)
    ElSWkyOXgAY4MR3?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

I didnt even know about Klopps lol :D

He is my hair inspiration - similar to mine he just moved it forward about an inch but it totally changes the shape of the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

i shave the back and sides to 0.5 and small trim on top, it looks thick its just when wind blows it catches it, don't want to cut it too short as it could become more obvious the transplanted area, just the damn wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭suave.4u

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    i shave the back and sides to 0.5 and small trim on top, it looks thick its just when wind blows it catches it, don't want to cut it too short as it could become more obvious the transplanted area, just the damn wind.

I thought with FUE it is much more easier to mask

suave.4u wrote: »
    I thought with FUE it is much more easier to mask

ah tbh im just being critical, its spot on really, just when the wind blows hard it messes up the hair like it does with most people, a good strong gel would keep it in place but i find gels clump together hair again raising a problem for the les dense transplanted area, i use a strong spray now which is good but strong wind messes it up. Like when you get out of a shower you will easily tell where you had the transplant.

How fair are you post op Bamm?

Rikand wrote: »

My hair is currently as long as it gets and I have to say I was rocking the windswept look today.

I still got it. Still getting it shaved tomorrow lol

• Advertisement

How fair are you post op Bamm?

15months, getting few comments lately about having a transplant, i just deny it, some old photos popped up on facebook. Overall im happy, you only notice the difference when you see old photos. i have lower hairline now then i did in 2010 i reckon.

Excellent! I wouldn't worry about people spotting it, just means they've noticed your hair looks better :)

Excellent! I wouldn't worry about people spotting it, just means they've noticed your hair looks better :)

ah yeah it def looks alot better and now i know in future if i need another transplant i can get one and not worry about balding(as much) anymore as its really is a simple enough procedure. Got asked for id other day when buying drink im 31 ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭thebourke

what is the price difference between getting a hair transplant here in ireland to getting it done abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

thebourke wrote: »
    what is the price difference between getting a hair transplant here in ireland to getting it done abroad?

There’s a big difference. The price in the Irish market is about €4 per follicle. It can be higher if fir example you don’t want to shave your head all over - a bit more work and time involved. Abroad is cheaper, I’ve seen transplants offered for less than €2 grand. If you have problems abroad, you may end paying more long term for rework

• Registered Users Posts: 13 0879628553

Anyone know anything about growclub.ie,they are providng HT service in south dublin starting january 2021?

There’s a big difference. The price in the Irish market is about €4 per follicle. It can be higher if fir example you don’t want to shave your head all over - a bit more work and time involved. Abroad is cheaper, I’ve seen transplants offered for less than €2 grand. If you have problems abroad, you may end paying more long term for rework

To add to this for thebourke's question - Dr Nel would have charged me just over 9 grand for the work I've had done but it cost a shade under 25% of that in Istanbul.

If you want to go local, you've an easier path to go back if not happy with results, you will sleep in your own bed when you're tender that first day, and you don't have to deal with travel a couple days after the work is done. Those are all perfectly valid reasons, especially if you have 10 grand in your bank account.

But if you do go abroad, Istanbul has several large hair clinics filled with experienced surgeons and technicians and the likelihood is you're going to get a similar caliber of job in both countries. You walk around the airport and see tens of people with it done. I am in the early stages of my own but it's looking very promising, and I have a couple friends who both used different places over there and it all went swimmingly.

I suppose you just have to decide for yourself what is of more value to you - the money or saving yourself the travel/hassle - For me personally, I would have been unable to justify spending 9 grand on my hair as it wasn't particularly thin or receded, I just wanted to move my hair line forward - but 2 grand and change was a lot more manageable for me and I am a confident traveller so there was no real nerves or anxiety in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

To add to this for thebourke's question - Dr Nel would have charged me just over 9 grand for the work I've had done but it cost a shade under 25% of that in Istanbul.

If you want to go local, you've an easier path to go back if not happy with results, you will sleep in your own bed when you're tender that first day, and you don't have to deal with travel a couple days after the work is done. Those are all perfectly valid reasons, especially if you have 10 grand in your bank account.

But if you do go abroad, Istanbul has several large hair clinics filled with experienced surgeons and technicians and the likelihood is you're going to get a similar caliber of job in both countries. You walk around the airport and see tens of people with it done. I am in the early stages of my own but it's looking very promising, and I have a couple friends who both used different places over there and it all went swimmingly.

I suppose you just have to decide for yourself what is of more value to you - the money or saving yourself the travel/hassle - For me personally, I would have been unable to justify spending 9 grand on my hair as it wasn't particularly thin or receded, I just wanted to move my hair line forward - but 2 grand and change was a lot more manageable for me and I am a confident traveller so there was no real nerves or anxiety in it.

Who was your surgeon, if you don't mind me asking?

I went with Dr Emrah Cinik. https://www.emrahcinik.com/

I had a friend who'd used https://www.hairofistanbul.com/ and I very nearly went with them too - but when I communicated with them they quoted me a much higher price than my mate paid, than knocked a grand off it when I pointed this out. I dislike that as a business practice - just quote me a set price.

I read a number of trust pilot reviews of Dr Ciniks work, and watched several youtube videos of different people who'd worked with him and posted new vids every month. I decided to go with him as it seemed like a really professional setup and the price was very good.

I was very happy with the service - accommodation was fantastic, all the transport was on time, the actual clinic is very new, sterile, clean, and the operation was very smooth. Staff were all lovely. We will see how it looks when it's had a chance to grow - that is all that really matters isn't it?

0879628553 wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about growclub.ie,they are providng HT service in south dublin starting january 2021?

I cant find the link now, but there was someone on here advertising them a month or two ago. Just search on the forums for growclub and you'll see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭suave.4u

iebamm2580 wrote: »

use a product like Dermmatch. Just takes 2-3 minutes to apply but is very effective and would completely mask the transplanted area. In your case one box will last years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 2020FE1

Hi I have a consultation booked with MHR in a weeks time. I was wondering if anybody has experience dealing with them or got a procedure there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

2020FE1 wrote: »
    Hi I have a consultation booked with MHR in a weeks time. I was wondering if anybody has experience dealing with them or got a procedure there?

What procedure are you getting done there?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

GrowClub wrote: »
    Hi, I know about us and am happy to help if you have any questions :-)

I don't really post here as I do not want to be seen to push us in a discussion forum but yes we are now taking bookings for transplants in 2021. January bookings are almost full with Feb bookings starting shortly.

Thanks

Have your company done any transplants yet ?
    What sort of money do you charge for 4000 hairs. ?
    Or maybe to phrase another way what is the very cheapest price for 4000 hairs ?

suave.4u wrote: »
    use a product like Dermmatch. Just takes 2-3 minutes to apply but is very effective and would completely mask the transplanted area. In your case one box will last years.

the hair is completely masked looks great when dry and sunny so dont need that, its just when the wind blows, i could prob do with cutting the top shorter einh honest, less for the wind to catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aaronelon3001

2020FE1 wrote: »

Hi There

I had my consultation a few weeks back and going in for my procedure in 3 weeks, 50/50 about going ahead with it. Maybe PM me if you want to know any details.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Hi, I know about us and am happy to help if you have any questions :-)

I don't really post here as I do not want to be seen to push us in a discussion forum but yes we are now taking bookings for transplants in 2021. January bookings are almost full with Feb bookings starting shortly.

Thanks

Going to give you some honest feedback.

- Your website lists a "renowned" surgical team, but for some reason does not mention the surgeon's name. This comes across as extremely concerning and I'm not sure there's any justified reason which could convince me otherwise.
    - You have testimonials on your website from previous patients and it is portrayed as if these were done in this particular clinic; yet you haven't opened yet. Again, slightly concerning and not very transparent.
    - Your website comes across more like a marketing ploy than a professional medical practice. I always become suspicious about something when the first thing I see is a financing arrangement. I get it, make the customer see how cheap it is and that it's too good to be true. The thing is, I don't want to feel like something is too good to be true. Do you want to know why? Because they normally are.

Your whole business model is built around price when it should be about delivering a quality service. I suspect the reason why you don't have actual surgeon names listed is because you don't have full time dedicated surgeons. You will advertise to any Joe Soap who has performed a few surgeries in Turkey to come over here and do the work with little to no regulation. Are the actual doctors themselves licensed to practice here and regulated by the Irish Medical Council? Will they be around to answer patient questions when things go wrong? Who is the beneficial owner of your company? With all due respect, I would prefer to give my money to a reputable Doctor who resides in Ireland, is regulated by a reputable Medical body within the EU, and pays taxes in this country.

* It was also kind of strange to see that you just so happened to know someone posted on boards.ie about you within one day. Especially when they had only one post :rolleyes:

Good morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Desmond Full Conduit

Without getting in to it, when the website was first launched, i was put off by you using a generic image of a nurse and putting your branding on it as if it was a real nurse at your clinic:
    https://growclub.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Clinic-Nurse.jpg

https://www.nsnursingcollege.in/public/images/who-we-are-img.jpg

There's a high level of skepticism around hair transplants online - this thread is evidence of that, just look at the scrutiny that Dr Nel's patients' testimonials are put under.

SNIP

Good clear info. Hope it works out for you guys. You might save me a trip to Istanbul should I ever need a top up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Snip

Ok some of your responses are fair enough. I have some further questions:

- Why have you rebranded under a different name in Ireland rather than keeping the smiles hair clinic?
    - Is it anything to do with a number of negative reviews on Facebook groups, such as Hair Loss Conquerors? One comment below attached from a number of comments.
    - Do you have any on-going legal cases in Turkey regarding customers who have taken actions against the clinic?

Advertisement