Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

infacteh wrote: »
    Hopefully not, Slane is a nightmare of a venue. I said AC/DC are the only band I'd ever return to Slane for, but I'd rather go somewhere, anywhere, else!

From what I've read/heard things are planned out alot better nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I had a horrendous experience at Oasis a few years ago, and I worked at Eminem last year - different experience, but it seemed to still have a lot of the same problems!

It's in a terrible location, boarded by a river with a narrow bridge on one side, and a small village on the other side, and the entrance is through a narrow bohereen. It's not that close to a motorway, and there's no rail service to it.

Punchestown, on the other hand, is close to a motorway, and has plenty of space, and access, on all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

From what I've read/heard things are planned out alot better nowadays.

There have been slight improvements, but it's a terrible place to get in and out of, probably the worst I've ever experienced.

AC/DC are one of the few bands that would make me drag myself back there, but like someone said already, I really hope I don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

IF AC/DC were to come to Ireland next year, they'd be better off playing in Croke Park or the Aviva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

infacteh wrote: »

Punchestown, on the other hand, is close to a motorway, and has plenty of space, and access, on all sides.

I take it you weren't at their last gig there? An absolute nightmare both getting to and out of there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I take it you weren't at their last gig there? An absolute nightmare both getting to and out of there.

I was, and it was a hell of a lot better than my Slane experiences!

Either way, it's AC ****ing DC, I'll walk barefoot to Cork to see them play if I have to!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Was so glad to have seen them in the 02/point/ whatever it's name is. The journey to and from Punchstown still annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Was so glad to have seen them in the 02/point/ whatever it's name is. The journey to and from Punchstown still annoys me.

Three arena. :pac: was at that and punchstown, thought punchstown was better for shear energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

There's about a minute of the new song here. Sounds, as you'd expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭colmufc

There's about a minute of the new song here. Sounds, as you'd expect.

I like it , and I have to say I loved black ice so this sounds quite good to me

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Malcolm's officially done :(

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/11119755/Malcolm-Young-has-left-ACDC.html

Edit: I've just realised this article is not to dissimilar to the one posted on the previous page, also read he has been admitted to a home for dementia suffers in Sydney, pretty sad stuff if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭briany

Malcolm's officially done :(

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/11119755/Malcolm-Young-has-left-ACDC.html

Edit: I've just realised this article is not to dissimilar to the one posted on the previous page, also read he has been admitted to a home for dementia suffers in Sydney, pretty sad stuff if true.

It's desperately sad for him, his, and the fans of the band. Sad to think that he may not be able to look back on a long and storied career and feel satisfaction because it's all been wiped from his mind.

I've seen some commentary that it was the drink that did it. He's been sober for over 25 years as far as I know...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

briany wrote: »
    I've seen some commentary that it was the drink that did it. He's been sober for over 25 years as far as I know...:rolleyes:

Time does these things. Our bodies will eventually betray every one of us. Those comments are people finding scapegoats, so they don't have to acknowledge their own fate.

We know the reason behind Malcolm's exit from AC/DC,

http://loudwire.com/acdc-malcolm-young-stroke-dementia/
    ''The newspaper The Australian reports that Malcolm suffered a stroke last year, as the Sydney Morning Herald proclaims that the guitarist is currently suffering from serious dementia.Both newspapers report that Malcolm is currently in full-time care at a nursing home facility called the Lulworth House in Elizabeth Bay in suburban Sydney, Australia. A source close to the band tells the Sydney Morning Herald, “If you were in the room with Malcolm and walked out, then came back in one minute later, he wouldn’t remember who you are. He has a complete loss of short-term memory.”

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭colmufc

That's dreadfully sad ,I don't think there is much that can be said

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

:(

A complete loss of short term memory. That's terrible. It's like a real life version of Memento or something. I wonder does that mean that he's still able to remember important people in his life? At least that would be something. The heartbreaker of dementia is when people you've known your entire life look at you like you're a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

I hope that he receives the best care and that the media leave him and his family in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Just watched the 'Behind the Music' doc of AC/DC done around the time of SUL. Malcolm interviews very well in his clips. Seems a decent guy who overcame booze demons and get into a good place. Real shame about the illness. He won't even be able to enjoy the memories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I read a biography on the band and Malcolm comes across as a dictator with a 'either do things my way or get the f*ck out' attitude, but there's no doubt he knew what he was doing cos they wouldn't have lasted 40 odd years if he was an eejit, Bon called him the brain for a reason.

This is a great piece written on him this week www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/sep/24/acdc-malcolm-young-master-of-discipline-and-economy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Strong rumours 2 dates next year in Croke Park.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Strong rumours 2 dates next year in Croke Park.

Only 2? Sure why not go for 5. That'll go down a treat with the locals.

I read a biography on the band and Malcolm comes across as a dictator with a 'either do things my way or get the f*ck out' attitude, but there's no doubt he knew what he was doing cos they wouldn't have lasted 40 odd years if he was an eejit, Bon called him the brain for a reason.

This is a great piece written on him this week www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/sep/24/acdc-malcolm-young-master-of-discipline-and-economy
    Nice article.

As to the book, I think you're talking about 'Hell ain't a bad place to be' by Mick Wall. It was a bit warts and all, and unsympathetic to the way the Youngs treated those around them.

I don't know how true it is. But a bad reputation in the music business doesn't necessarily mean a lot. It's just as likely to mean they didn't want to be walked all over by record company execs, smart arse music press types (after its asinine review of BIB - 'heavy metal dross'! - I never bought the NME again) and liggers.

McDave wrote: »
    As to the book, I think you're talking about 'Hell ain't a bad place to be' by Mick Wall. It was a bit warts and all, and unsympathetic to the way the Youngs treated those around them.

The book is called Maximum Rock n Roll www.amazon.com/AC-DC-Ultimate-Rock---Roll/dp/0061133922/ref=la_B001JS0SIQ_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412106704&sr=1-1

It's great read, it has a lot of great information about their early days but it declines a bit after Johnson joins the band.

Well guys, Malcolm's illness has finally been confirmed by his family.

http://www.people.com/article/malcolm-young-ac-dc-dementia
    Malcolm is suffering from dementia and the family thanks you for respecting their privacy,

I wonder did Brian Johnson help out with the writing on this album. I don't think he's a had a writing credit since BUYV and it's been all Young/Young ever since. Either that or Angus wrote all the songs on his own.

The book is called Maximum Rock n Roll www.amazon.com/AC-DC-Ultimate-Rock---Roll/dp/0061133922/ref=la_B001JS0SIQ_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412106704&sr=1-1

It's great read, it has a lot of great information about their early days but it declines a bit after Johnson joins the band.
    That's the one.

Yeah, absolutely. I've heard the same stories about the brothers Young actually being shrewd business men and un-sentimental in their human resources management. It's weird sometimes to hear, because Malcolm and Angus both come across as the most unassuming characters in their interviews, but on the other hand they've not been shy about sacking people. They sacked Dave Evans and never had a good word to say about him since, they sacked bass player Mal Evans (no relation) because he didn't quite fit with their personalities, and viewed Bon Scott as 'disposable' and took a dim view of his substance habits (well, the heavier end of them anyway), and sacked Phil Rudd in 1983. They even wanted to keep Chris Slade on a sort of retainer while they tried to get back together with Phil Rudd 1995 in case things didn't work with Phil.

But that's how it often is in successful bands. You have one guy who's got the brain and the drive to make it all go forward. The others just try not to get in the way too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

briany wrote: »
    Yeah, absolutely. I've heard the same stories about the brothers Young actually being shrewd business men and un-sentimental in their human resources management. It's weird sometimes to hear, because Malcolm and Angus both come across as the most unassuming characters in their interviews, but on the other hand they've not been shy about sacking people. They sacked Dave Evans and never had a good word to say about him since, they sacked bass player Mal Evans (no relation) because he didn't quite fit with their personalities, and viewed Bon Scott as 'disposable' and took a dim view of his substance habits (well, the heavier end of them anyway), and sacked Phil Rudd in 1983. They even wanted to keep Chris Slade on a sort of retainer while they tried to get back together with Phil Rudd 1995 in case things didn't work with Phil.

But that's how it often is in successful bands. You have one guy who's got the brain and the drive to make it all go forward. The others just try not to get in the way too much.

I guess that's the way it is with Bon Jovi, that Jon has the final decision in whatever they do - for example touring without Richie Sambora, even though to many fans, Richie would be just as important to the band as Jon.

It's likely the same for KISS with Gene and Paul?

Advertisement