Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last cut of the year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Giancarlo Ambitious Ozone

Gave it a high cut on Tuesday and it's going to need cutting again as soon as it's dry enough.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I cut it on Monday thinking that's it, it's already grown back. I'll try again next week. When should it stop growing.

Be a month or more I reckon before we see dormancy. It's still incredibly mild out with temps hitting mid teens comfortably each day. Very little ground frost too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Was hoping I'd get the chance today but nope. And it's hard to see when there will next be 24 hours of dry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Why are oeople advising not to cut low?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got a cut of the front done yesterday, as it is usually drier than the back.

It was still damp enough.

I was about to tackle the back, then the heavens opened again.

So postponed for now. Shame cos the front looks grand again.

• Advertisement

Got both done Friday, Saturday growing like mad though and temperature is likely to be mild for a while yet. Indeed the soil and air are about the same. Just add water!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

bobbyss wrote: »
    Why are oeople advising not to cut low?

Roots will suffer especially this time of year. Whatever is above ground is below. Cutting it longer this time of year protects it from frost, encourages root and side-shoot growth and will help prevent weeds from competing in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Cut mine on Saturday after a 2 week break and it needed cutting. I mulch all the time so no worries on picking it up. ground was surprisingly ok. I cut for the last time in 2018 at the beginning of December and then again in February due to the mild winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Thoughts on scarifying. Is it getting a bit late for it?

I cut at the weekend, will be cutting into November easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Cut today. Last time was 10 days ago. Have to say it had grown more that I thought, it was very lush. Personally I'll give it a cut/clean up every 2/3 weeks over the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Cut today. Last time was 10 days ago. Have to say it had grown more that I thought, it was very lush. Personally I'll give it a cut/clean up every 2/3 weeks over the winter.

Said the same myself. The leaves are only starting to fall off the trees here, and I get a good few in from the estate. If anything, I'll be getting the mower out twice as much to gather them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

beertons wrote: »
    Said the same myself. The leaves are only starting to fall off the trees here, and I get a good few in from the estate. If anything, I'll be getting the mower out twice as much to gather them up.

I find the mower cleans up all the leaves chops them and there is a little bit of grass clippings in the mix. It makes great mulch/leaf mold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Giancarlo Ambitious Ozone

Cut this morning and the growth in a week was staggering. Cutting it high and will do so any time weather permits through the winter. So sign of a slow down yet and temperatures are projected to remain high enough for growth for another couple of weeks at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

Didn’t want to start a new thread..... is it too late to sow grass this week?

Not necessarily, but you'd want it to be fairly dry and mild for a few days before and mild after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

I cut my grass last week and it seems to have stopped growing now, Hopefully finished for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

I managed to cut mine last Wednesday afternoon and could do it again later this week if it ever dries up, if only to hoover up the leaves...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I'll be mowing tomorrow and next week and into December and then January, in fact it never stops for me!

The outlook for grass cutting is pretty poor. :( Hard to see when we'll get two dry days back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

monkeynuz wrote: »
    it never stops for me!

How come?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Effects wrote: »
    How come?

Because it rarely gets cold enough here.

Last winter it was 13ish degrees on Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

[PHP][/PHP]
    Not necessarily, but you'd want it to be fairly dry and mild for a few days before and mild after.

sewed it that day (22 October) and nothing bursting through yet. It's getting enough water anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

I find the mower cleans up all the leaves chops them and there is a little bit of grass clippings in the mix. It makes great mulch/leaf mold

Do the same,I also pull the boundary grass etc ,chick all into the mower path instead of strumming

The outlook for grass cutting is pretty poor. :( Hard to see when we'll get two dry days back to back.

It has rained for about 36hrs constantly with me. To add to already soaking grass from near daily rain for so long.

And with the sharp downturn in temps, I might have done the last cut of the winter.

NIMAN wrote:
    It has rained for about 36hrs constantly with me. To add to already soaking grass from near daily rain for so long.

Final cut yesterday in Cork ,crisp morning,bit soggy but gathering all the leaves mowed them aswell ,,,,,,guess what more shagging leaves again this morning

My trees are on the last of their leaves, another few days of wind and they will be done.

NIMAN wrote:
    My trees are on the last of their leaves, another few days of wind and they will be done.

Hopefully,I haven't any in the front but my bloody neighbours ones fly into my garden constantly,but she's v nice etc so wouldn't dream of upsetting her -annoying though

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Topped my lawn there, and gathered up alot of leaves. Won't be the last of it, still plenty more to fall in the estate and blow into my front garden.

• Had a few customers ask for a December cut. Will do them as long as I dont feel I will wreck the place leaving tracks. A slow down in the amount of leaves to be gathered and the trees are almost bare.

I dont think it will be as mild this winter. This year, returning to some gardens in March after the last cut in November, some lawns had 9 inches of grass easily on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

our done last.saturday. beautiful dry day. grass was shortish so its looking well now. shud do us to march.

Advertisement