Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭cosatron

in all fairness, I think any good prospect at junior club level should be allow to play senior hurling with the nearest club to him. I see the 2 good ballygar minors will be togging for castlegar next year and sean mcdonagh has also transferred to pearses aswell, I think these guys should have the option to play for there junior club if they desire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Robson99

cosatron wrote: »
    in all fairness, I think any good prospect at junior club level should be allow to play senior hurling with the nearest club to him. I see the 2 good ballygar minors will be togging for castlegar next year and sean mcdonagh has also transferred to pearses aswell, I think these guys should have the option to play for there junior club if they desire to.

Ballygar to Castlegar...they pass a lot of clubs on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭spurshero

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    So should Donal O Shea transfer to Mellows now too?

Neighbours Castlegar were also prominent in the transfer market last season.

Hope that chip on your shoulder isn’t too heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

A senior team comprised of Junior Club players would be very decent.

Alot of players from Salthill, Ballygar, Michael Breathnachs, Kiltormer, Mountbellew that would benefit from playing senior while still being able to represent their own club at junior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    A senior team comprised of Junior Club players would be very decent.

Alot of players from Salthill, Ballygar, Michael Breathnachs, Kiltormer, Mountbellew that would benefit from playing senior while still being able to represent their own club at junior level.

It just needs a city division to be set up like in Cork. It works down there. Seandun would be their city division allowing junior and intermediate players to play senior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

BloodyBill wrote: »
    It just needs a city division to be set up like in Cork. It works down there. Seandun would be their city division allowing junior and intermediate players to play senior.

Seandun havent fielded a side in yrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

They tried this a few years ago. Didn't work

Wolfe Tones they were called iirc, players from Salthill, Barna, Spiddal

Football will just always be king in these areas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

jr86 wrote: »
    Wolfe Tones they were called iirc, players from Salthill, Barna, Spiddal

I think Menlo emmetts were in that Wolfe tones club also. I might be wrong, but st. Columbas were in that amalgamation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

It's not just the city that needs to be considered. Galway county also.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

RMAOK wrote: »
    I think Menlo emmetts were in that Wolfe tones club also. I might be wrong, but st. Columbas were in that amalgamation as well.

Were Ml Breathnachs involved in that amalgamation,
    Alot of clubs if they were or not, say it would be a nightmare to please all clubs i.e.Funding, where to train, times, why one club has more players than another playing, Crap like that. Maybe if it was just like the Cois Farraige underage. It would work better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

spud65 wrote: »
    Were Ml Breathnachs involved in that amalgamation,
    Alot of clubs if they were or not, say it would be a nightmare to please all clubs i.e.Funding, where to train, times, why one club has more players than another playing, Crap like that. Maybe if it was just like the Cois Farraige underage. It would work better.

Youd just need to copy Kerry divisions exactly really. It's the amalgamations that will be the death knell of clubs. But it takes a whole change in Mindset. No one down there turns down a chance to play with their division. I dont know if it would work in Counties with no tradition of divisions.

Youd just need to copy Kerry divisions exactly really. It's the amalgamations that will be the death knell of clubs. But it takes a whole change in Mindset. No one down there turns down a chance to play with their division. I dont know if it would work in Counties with no tradition of divisions.

A few variations of divisions have been tried in Galway. Wolfe Tones hurlers, and a Connemara divisional football team around the year 2000 are two I can think of. I don't think any went past two years

Mayo have tried them a few times, but again none really worked out

As you say unless there's a tradition of them there, they are hard to implement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A few variations of divisions have been tried in Galway. Wolfe Tones hurlers, and a Connemara divisional football team around the year 2000 are two I can think of. I don't think any went past two years

Mayo have tried them a few times, but again none really worked out

As you say unless there's a tradition of them there, they are hard to implement

Divisional football should work perfectly in big counties like Galway and Mayo really but it's something that has to be persisted with and obviously there is no real tradition of divisional teams like there is in Kerry or Cork. Only way to make it a tradition is to persist with it until those teams have their own history. And not dump it after a couple years.

A Connemara divisional side seems so glaringly obvious to do. Next year for example it would consist of players from 4 junior clubs (Clifden, Renvyle, Na Piarsaigh and Clonbur) and 3 intermediate clubs (Oileain Arann, Leitir Móir, Carna Caiseal). Obviously An Spideal, Carraroe and Michael Breathnach players would not be eligible having gone senior.

A small club like Na Piarsaigh or Renvyle who would struggle to even go up to intermediate might have one really good player and this would give him the chance to play senior football. Makes all the sense in the world but probably will never happen happen.

Divisional football should work perfectly in big counties like Galway and Mayo really but it's something that has to be persisted with and obviously there is no real tradition of divisional teams like there is in Kerry or Cork. Only way to make it a tradition is to persist with it until those teams have their own history. And not dump it after a couple years.

A Connemara divisional side seems so glaringly obvious to do. Next year for example it would consist of players from 4 junior clubs (Clifden, Renvyle, Na Piarsaigh and Clonbur) and 3 intermediate clubs (Oileain Arann, Leitir Móir, Carna Caiseal). Obviously An Spideal, Carraroe and Michael Breathnach players would not be eligible having gone senior.

A small club like Na Piarsaigh or Renvyle who would struggle to even go up to intermediate might have one really good player and this would give him the chance to play senior football. Makes all the sense in the world but probably will never happen happen.

Just asked a friend who would be well in the know and he confirmed there was a Connemara divisional side that competed in the Galway senior championship in 1999 and 2000 he reckons. Said they took a bad hiding off Dunmore one year and then lost Carna players the next (Carna went up senior) so they ended up folding after that. Not sure how well it worked with politics and so on

I think there'll have to be a lot more amalgamations in Galway in the next decade or two. I could see Senior football eventually being extremely lopsided with the few huge sides - the likes of CG, Corofin, Moycullen, SK, Oranmore - completely dominating. I can see a scenario where no Irish-speaking Connemara side is senior in the near future, and very few north county Galway sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Just asked a friend who would be well in the know and he confirmed there was a Connemara divisional side that competed in the Galway senior championship in 1999 and 2000 he reckons. Said they took a bad hiding off Dunmore one year and then lost Carna players the next (Carna went up senior) so they ended up folding after that. Not sure how well it worked with politics and so on

I think there'll have to be a lot more amalgamations in Galway in the next decade or two. I could see Senior football eventually being extremely lopsided with the few huge sides - the likes of CG, Corofin, Moycullen, SK, Oranmore - completely dominating. I can see a scenario where no Irish-speaking Connemara side is senior in the near future, and very few north county Galway sides

Divisional sides don't have to compete in both codes. One of the West Cork divisions only plays football.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

aw wrote:
    The very best of luck to him.

I think it's a forgone conclusion he won't be back next year. As bad as things are in Galway surely he couldn't get reelected.

Claregalway vs. Corofin in the North Board U20 final after today's semi finals.

Oughterard to break Galway's long wait for an intermediate football all ireland?

Outstanding side, Matthew Tierney is a special player

• Registered Users Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Oughterard to break Galway's long wait for an intermediate football all ireland?

Didn't moycullen win that particular championship in 2008? I know it's a long time, but they wouldn't be the first galway team to win it.

• Advertisement

RMAOK wrote: »
    Didn't moycullen win that particular championship in 2008? I know it's a long time, but they wouldn't be the first galway team to win it.

That's why I said long wait ;) it's been done before!

Moycullen are the only ones I think! St James's made final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Looks like Templenoe is the biggest challenger if they come through Munster. Played div 1 league football in Kerry this year. Enda Tierney really standing out also for Oughterard.

Looks like Templenoe is the biggest challenger if they come through Munster. Played div 1 league football in Kerry this year. Enda Tierney really standing out also for Oughterard.

Yeah Kerry sides are always serious operators at this level

Their 9th best team though so to be expected

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Matthew Tierney reminds me a lot of Seán O’Shea. They even look a bit similar. Both fantastic free takers. Both usually play centre forward.

Think Matthew is still U-20 eligible for Galway next year but I'd be surprised if PJ isn't tempted to move him straight up to the senior squad next year. His brother Enda might get another chance as well. I know he was on the fringes of the squad a few years ago but he's a better and physically stronger player now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭threeball

Matthew Tierney reminds me a lot of Seán O’Shea. They even look a bit similar. Both fantastic free takers. Both usually play centre forward.

Think Matthew is still U-20 eligible for Galway next year but I'd be surprised if PJ isn't tempted to move him straight up to the senior squad next year. His brother Enda might get another chance as well. I know he was on the fringes of the squad a few years ago but he's a better and physically stronger player now.

We would do with a really top class free taker. Shane Walsh is good but a little too inconsistent. You need a guy with 80-85% plus conversion rate from inside the 45.

threeball wrote: »
    We would do with a really top class free taker. Shane Walsh is good but a little too inconsistent. You need a guy with 80-85% plus conversion rate from inside the 45.

Barry McHugh, but probably not good enough in open play at the top level?

Peter Cooke maybe? Or is he in the States for next year?

Galway producing plenty of quality forwards

One or both of the Lee's will surely be looked at anyway?

Ronan Molloy has been one of the standouts for them aswell, but he's around 30 now at this stage

Barry McHugh, but probably not good enough in open play at the top level?

Peter Cooke maybe? Or is he in the States for next year?

Galway producing plenty of quality forwards

Barry is too slow for intercounty. He struggles once it gets past April. Good footballer but IC is more about athletes than footballers.

Peter Cooke would have a similar hit rate as Shane Walsh. I'd be looking to play him full forward next year though if I was PJ as the new forward mark would suit him down to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I think it's a forgone conclusion he won't be back next year. As bad as things are in Galway surely he couldn't get reelected.

Culhane is a football man though. It wouldn't surprise me if the hurlers voted Kearney back in just to have one of their own at the helm again.

The boards joining up again really has been a very raw deal for the footballers ever since

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Culhane is a football man though. It wouldn't surprise me if the hurlers voted Kearney back in just to have one of their own at the helm again.

The boards joining up again really has been a very raw deal for the footballers ever since

How does that come about. I would have thought there would be more football clubs than hurling in Galway.

Advertisement