Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Old Republic made a billion dollars and is still played by lots of players 8 years later. I wouldn't mind tanking like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Old Republic made a billion dollars and is still played by lots of players 8 years later. I wouldn't mind tanking like that.

SWTOR tanked at launch and went F2P slightly less than a year later and was ridiculed at the time over how bad it was. No way in hell did that game make anywhere close to a billion dollars and it took a pretty long time to make the development costs back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Venom wrote: »
    SWTOR tanked at launch and went F2P slightly less than a year later and was ridiculed at the time over how bad it was. No way in hell did that game make anywhere close to a billion dollars and it took a pretty long time to make the development costs back.

Quote from last weeks earnings call. The 200mill spent was recouped a long time ago.

Believe it or not, we are close to $1 billion on Star Wars: The Old Republic revenue from the start of its history,” EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said on the call. “So it’s a business that just keeps on going. We like those types of businesses.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm back playing Gran Turismo Sport and was very happy to see the superb Spa Francorchamps circuit was added.

Always good to see more content being added and the game is well worth the price of €19.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

They fixed Sonic a bit.

*edit*
    Thank Tyson Hesse

https://twitter.com/tyson_hesse/status/1194331183351357440

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Quote from last weeks earnings call. The 200mill spent was recouped a long time ago.

Believe it or not, we are close to $1 billion on Star Wars: The Old Republic revenue from the start of its history,” EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said on the call. “So it’s a business that just keeps on going. We like those types of businesses.”
    I would not have guessed that kind of performance in a million years, thats a bit mad tbh, Id have put money on it being loss making first. Just shows what a licence to print money the SW brand is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Game is good too.

If you don't like mmos ignore that part of it and you've got a dozen kotor In it.

Unlike the actual kotor it isn't all force shenanigans, smuggler and imperial agent stories are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Friend of mine used to work for Bioware customer service. Said it was the best thing the company ever did. Gave an example of one guy on the phone giving out to him because his card was declined and he hadn't realised how much money he had spent on the game. It's like giving people the option to spend money on something makes them spend more. People are weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I would like to see Roman Bellic return in the next GTA game as a cold blooded murderer.

"Hey cousin, lets play drive by shooting."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I would like to see Roman Bellic return in the next GTA game as a cold blooded murderer.

"Hey cousin, lets play drive by shooting."
    "Hey cousin, let's go disembowelling."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Path of exile 4.0 announcement Friday 9pm

https://www.twitch.tv/pathofexile

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not as good as the Boards GOTY awards but should be good all the same. Will be awkward for Geoff when Death Stranding wins best game.

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1195151932396052480?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Will be awkward for Geoff when Death Stranding wins best game.

When? Excuse me but Ace Combat 7 came out this year and anything else winning is a crime.

A CRIME!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    When? Excuse me but Ace Combat 7 came out this year and anything else winning is a crime.

A CRIME!

But IGN said that was a crap game??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But IGN said that was a crap game??

Just highlighted the important part of that sentence.

Just highlighted the important part of that sentence.

Oh fully aware, you just reminded me of their video review and how the guy got slated in the comments. He was saying things like it wasn't very clear what you should be doing but people who had played it said you get clear instructions if you bothered reading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

I'd say RE2 could come out on top this year. I'd like to see Outer Worlds, Sekiro and DMC5 doing well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

A CRIME!
    I love Ace Combat but 7 isn't that good. Far too many missions rely on destroy everything to score points until the timer runs out and then the timer gets extended and score more points.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say RE2 could come out on top this year. I'd like to see Outer Worlds, Sekiro and DMC5 doing well though.

Even in a year that DMC5 and Borderlands 3 both came out (sequels to two of my favourite games of all time, and both still brilliant in their own right), RE2 has to take the top spot for me. Just an absolutely magnificent game, which completely took me by surprise with how much I enjoyed it across multiple playthroughs.

Evade wrote: »
    I love Ace Combat but 7 isn't that good. Far too many missions rely on destroy everything to score points until the timer runs out and then the timer gets extended and score more points.

I was an Ace Combat virgin so this was my first. I understand that the previous games, especially on PS2, were meant to be way better. It's just out of every game I played this year there was nothing that came close to matching how incredibly exhilarating Ace Combat 7 was. For minute to minute excitement there was nothing else that came close this year. I just had an absolute blast with it start to finish and cant wait to try out the DLC that was just released.

I might have been a little disappointed if I'd played the earlier games but I think that's testament to just how good the series is that even a disappointing entry was this good.

• Advertisement

And Days Gone ****s all over everything else. Some good games out this year all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And Days Gone ****s all over everything else.

I think I just threw my back out laughing at that suggestion :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

I was an Ace Combat virgin so this was my first. I understand that the previous games, especially on PS2, were meant to be way better. It's just out of every game I played this year there was nothing that came close to matching how incredibly exhilarating Ace Combat 7 was. For minute to minute excitement there was nothing else that came close this year. I just had an absolute blast with it start to finish and cant wait to try out the DLC that was just released.

I might have been a little disappointed if I'd played the earlier games but I think that's testament to just how good the series is that even a disappointing entry was this good.
    If you can find a copy play 5/Squadron Leader/Unsung War (alternate titles) for PS2, it's the best one.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think I just threw my back out laughing at that suggestion :pac:

Hahaha I'm laughing you thought that was a suggestion. Days Gone GOTY FACTS!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

And Days Gone ****s all over everything else. Some good games out this year all the same.
    ehhhhhh. Sekiro?

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    ehhhhhh. Sekiro?

We'll let the Boards GOTY awards decide :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To all those GOTY suggestions, I have only one thing to say .. ... ....

HONK!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

pixelburp wrote: »
    To all those GOTY suggestions, I have only one thing to say .. ... ....

HONK!

Indie game of the year alright. Even if he doesn't win he'll be going home with the trophy :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pretty hard to see how any game comes close to Outer Wilds or Untitled Goose Game tbh, indie or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Listen, I love the goose and all, but Outer Wilds is the kinda game that floats around ‘game of the decade’ territory, so tbh the wonderful asshole goose isn’t even in contention.

Great year though. Top-tier games like Sayonara Wild Hearts, Grindstone and Manifold Garden, and both Control and Death Stranding are up to mischievous and interesting things rarely seen in games of their scale.

Advertisement