Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

KIN GINGIVAL COMPLEX and PerioKin Gum Gencives mouthwash

Options
  • 10-11-2019 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between these 2 mouthwashes?
    I know they are both alcohol free which is great but that is all I know.

Thanks anyone for your help.:)

P.S the first one has a red label and second one has pink label.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

For anyone who is following this I was told today by the pharmacist that the 1st one is for gum disease/bleeding gums and perio is for someone with tender gums.
    Hope this helps someone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SuziXX

Perio Kin has a higher % of the active ingredient chlorhexidine than Kin gingival. Both are mostly recommended for management of periodontal disease of varying degrees, neither are usually recommended for long term use.

Thanks Suzi for your kindness and letting us all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Smile111 wrote: »
    For anyone who is following this I was told today by the pharmacist that the 1st one is for gum disease/bleeding gums and perio is for someone with tender gums.
    Hope this helps someone :)

I'm not a dentist nor a medic of any kind but I'd say your pharmacist got them the wrong way round. Both products contains the same active ingredient (Chlorhexidine digluconate) but the second product has a significantly higher concentration.

The first product (KIN GINGIVAL COMPLEX Mouthwash) has 0.12% of the active ingredient and it's recommended for 2-3 weeks treatment while the second product (Perio Kin Gingivas mouthwash) has 0.20% concentration and is recommended for no more than 1-2 weeks. So pound for pound, the second product has 66% more of the active ingredient.

I had bleeding gums and my dentist recommended the second product. It's also available as a gel in a tube so you can rub it directly onto the gums that show signs of bleeding. Which is probably far more effective than a mouthwash that you just slosh around your mouth.

Thanks for that. That was why I initially posted here 1st as hoping a dentist might kindly reply.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Smile111 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. That was why I initially posted here 1st as hoping a dentist might kindly reply.

Can I remind you of the first sentence of my post? I am not a dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

coylemj wrote: »
    And you think a dentist has replied?

Maybe read the first sentence of my post again.

you've been answering enough questions around here over the years that you could easily pull it off

you've been answering enough questions around here over the years that you could easily pull it off

That's very kind of you but I think in any medical forum, people with no qualifications should identify themselves as such. Too many false experts around!

coylemj wrote: »
    Can I remind you of the first sentence of my post? I am not a dentist.

I understood. I read your post.
    Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement