Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jack Burton's adventures in Arcade restoring

Comments

Can you switch mobos?

Can you switch mobos?

Can’t with hotd2 as it uses a different motherboard it’s the first or second revision Naomi motherboards they had extra hardware and a unique bios.. I’ve had one of these boards before and they won’t boot any other cart without at least a bios change

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

As someone with no experience or knowledge of arcade stuff this is all very interesting.

Also as someone who likes to build PCs, I'm enjoying the troubleshooting aspect of this a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just in contact with someone with Naomi stiff for sale.

Probably going to get a new mobo off him for crazy taxi and put in a proper PSU with that. If the new EPROM doesn't work

HOTD2 I'll do some more testing tomorrow and see what's what. Thinking about getting a naomi 2 and running that piforce in it. Give me access to the other Naomi shooters on the cab then too, depending on prices too of course

If your swapping out the Naomi save a few quid and get a Naomi 1 as there’s no shooters on Naomi 2, although if you got a 2 you could put it in crazy taxi which would allow you to play the initial d games also and put the Naomi 1 in the hotd2

• Advertisement

Mozie, is it true these initial d is **** without having a memory card setup??

If your swapping out the Naomi save a few quid and get a Naomi 1 as there’s no shooters on Naomi 2, although if you got a 2 you could put it in crazy taxi which would allow you to play the initial d games also and put the Naomi 1 in the hotd2

Good idea, once I get either one working I can take it from there.

Even having the 3 crazy taxi games in the cab would be worth the naomi 2

Only crazy taxi 1 is on Naomi though, 2 was home consoles and 3 was on chihiro.. still you have the initial d’s, club kart, jambo, 18 wheeler etc can all be run on it with piforce tools.. need to swap around around a couple of wires on the io for some games but nothing to tricky the pinout is available online..also because it’s jvs wired you can put a chihiro or triforce straight in down the line for some outrun 2, wangan series or Mario kart gp.. :)

Only crazy taxi 1 is on Naomi though, 2 was home consoles and 3 was on chihiro.. still you have the initial d’s, club kart, jambo, 18 wheeler etc can all be run on it with piforce tools.. need to swap around around a couple of wires on the io for some games but nothing to tricky the pinout is available online..also because it’s jvs wired you can put a chihiro or triforce straight in down the line for some outrun 2, wangan series or Mario kart gp.. :)

Oh didn't realise 3 was chihiro. Yeah probably worth it for the switch up of games really. Im a big crazy taxi fan but always nice to be able to switch out a game for a while after you play the crap out of it

So got a tiny bit more last night done.

Had a good look at HOTD cart and mobo. The chips that are failing the the test are on the motherboard and the EPROM on the game cartridge. So looking like a new motherboard needed for that. Unless there's another solution?

Managed to get a working Naomi 1 for a good price and thanks to the very generous Last Bandit I have a new PSU on the way. So hopefully a those 2 new parts will sort out the crazy taxi. Fingers crossed I can get that sorted by the weekend and get it all cleaned up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Can you not just replace the chips ?

Can you not just replace the chips ?

Well desoldering about 200+ legs and installing new ones is probably a bit out of my skillset. But pretty sure the chips aren't on regular Naomi boards, only the revision 1 boards. I could be wrong though, I'll have to double check

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ah sorry I assumed they where they where your bog standard chips off arcade pcbs. You know with 16 , 20 legs or whatever you could remove and put a socket in.

Good news for you today a patched copy of house of the dead 2 has been released over on arcade-projects which can be run on a regular Naomi..perfect timing!! Of course you’ll need a netdimm/pi or cf drive but will save you searching for rev 1 board and cart..

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?thread/1073-games-fixed-to-work-with-dimm/&postID=12053#post12053

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Good news for you today a patched copy of house of the dead 2 has been released over on arcade-projects which can be run on a regular Naomi..perfect timing!! Of course you’ll need a netdimm/pi or cf drive but will save you searching for rev 1 board and cart..

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?thread/1073-games-fixed-to-work-with-dimm/&postID=12053#post12053

But a gun is needed right? :)

Yes still requires gun I/o, relay and sensors :) basically the unique bios info has been patched into the image .. pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

mm. might look into that and turn the second naomi cab into a shooter .

BGOllie wrote: »

There was some work done on a jvs emulator for pi which allowed wiimote to be used on a Naomi was pretty impressive when I tried it but not sure if it’s been worked on since..the files are on github

Perfect. Thanks for the mozie. Just paid for a new Naomi 1 board for crazy taxi so I'll leave HOTD2 on the back burner till that's sorted out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I'd be sticking a Dreamcast/PS2/Saturn in there along with RGBS->VGA converter for a decent selection of light gun games.

• Advertisement

If you didn’t want to go to the bother of getting the gun I/o, sensor bezels etc you can pick up an S-JIHP JVS helper and use a standard gun .. handy for drivers too I had a Dreamcast wheel wired up to one.

Huge thanks to the last bandit for sending me down a few Naomi bits. Have an official PSU now so I'll get to de-hacking the one that's in there at the moment and get the few boards sorted out.

I'll post up pics of everything. Because I'll probably need a hand of what way to get everything wired up. Could be a mess under all that duct tape and blue paper

So I'm getting a new bios for the Naomi 1 running crazy taxi. Anyone know what one I should get?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Doesn't seem like the current multi-bios is a good idea with 18-wheeler

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Doesn't seem like the current multi-bios is a good idea with 18-wheeler

10-4 good buddy

So finally have an update for this.

Got a new Naomi motherboard today and it boots! I was getting some "crazay money!" For a few mins before the game started kind of glitching.

This onscreen menu started popping up after a few minutes of gameplay and cycling through options and changing that randomly it seems. Any ideas?

bFhPFRh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

So finally have an update for this.

Got a new Naomi motherboard today and it boots! I was getting some "crazay money!" For a few mins before the game started kind of glitching.

This onscreen menu started popping up after a few minutes of gameplay and cycling through options and changing that randomly it seems. Any ideas?

bFhPFRh.jpg

Open the control panel and press the test button. Cycle through all the options there including input tests (any ghost inputs found?)

Already tried that and service button brought up the menu but the buttons were unresponsive ffor navigating the menu and it eventually just exited out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

It might be different with crazy taxi but usually you use the service 1 and service 2 buttons to go up an down the test menu then press p1 start to select the option.

Advertisement