Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-10-2019, 20:21   #571
NIMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 21,781
Inm going behind a pay wall?

Good luck to them.
NIMAN is offline  
Advertisement
21-10-2019, 20:35   #572
JTMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
Inm going behind a pay wall?

Good luck to them.
Yeah, paywall early next year apparently. Equally struggle to see how it can succeed.
JTMan is offline  
21-10-2019, 20:58   #573
Comhra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMan View Post
Yeah, paywall early next year apparently. Equally struggle to see how it can succeed.
Looking at some of their content, I'd nearly want payment for reading it, never mind a paywall.
Comhra is offline  
(2) thanks from:
22-10-2019, 17:51   #574
JTMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,855
More consolidation in the regional newspaper sector, as Iconic Newspapers are in advanced talks to acquire the Munster Express.

Consolidation and cost cutting is the name of the game.

The Munster Express have being generating large losses ...

Quote:
Its latest accounts, for 2018, show a near €100,000 deficit in its balance sheet, accumulated losses of €850,000 and short-term bank debts of €540,000. It employed an average of 13 staff last year.
JTMan is offline  
23-10-2019, 21:03   #575
JTMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,855
INM are to shut their CityWest print plant.

I think most people saw that coming but the fact that Irish Times have not won the contract is unusual. The print contract is going to be given a mix of 3rd party companies and use their smaller Newry plant.

Quote:
INM says it will also break up some of its printing requirements into smaller contracts for third-party printing companies. It is understood that The Irish Times, which also operates a printing plant in Citywest close to the INM facility, is highly unlikely to take on any of the work.

Talks between INM and The Irish Times over a potential printing arrangement were held earlier this year, but are understood to have petered out. Management at The Irish Times declined to comment.
JTMan is offline  
Advertisement
23-10-2019, 21:17   #576
IRE60
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMan View Post
INM are to shut their CityWest print plant.

I think most people saw that coming but the fact that Irish Times have not won the contract is unusual. The print contract is going to be given a mix of 3rd party companies and use their smaller Newry plant.

Newry, isn't the smallest plant in the world - relative to whats needed now. Celtic might pick up a bit. WebPrint in Cork as well - although the distribution equation might have to be tweaked.


There was an amazing bit on Drivetime where it was 'explained' that voluntary sev was offered to 1/3 of the plant earlier this year. 2/3 put in an application! So they thought if that many what out, well you know what lets do that and shut the plant down!



There's a few out there, well paid and skilled - but in a very specific craft (a few would have come through a print apprenticeship) - they will have no/little 'transferable skills' outside a print plant.


More nails for the undertakers.....
IRE60 is offline  
Thanks from:
26-10-2019, 09:16   #577
JTMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRE60 View Post
Newry, isn't the smallest plant in the world - relative to whats needed now. Celtic might pick up a bit. WebPrint in Cork as well - although the distribution equation might have to be tweaked.
WebPrint have been mentioned in reports but Celtic have not. Celtic need a deal like this after the loss of the Mirror contract. It surely makes distribution less streamlined if INM are using multiple printers.

The Irish Times are speculating, the obvious, that this is far from the end of the cuts.
JTMan is offline  
26-10-2019, 09:17   #578
JTMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,855
Telegraph has been put up for sale. DMG Media cited as a potential suitor.
JTMan is offline  
02-11-2019, 17:21   #579
IRE60
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,580
SBP bought Irish Studio - huge amount of brands - perhaps a little 'last week's

https://irishstudio.com/brands
IRE60 is offline  
Advertisement
02-11-2019, 17:40   #580
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
Just the print assets I believe. Brave move to double down on print at this stage.
L1011 is offline  
02-11-2019, 18:49   #581
jmcc
Hackwatch
 
jmcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 4,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRE60 View Post
SBP bought Irish Studio - huge amount of brands - perhaps a little 'last week's

https://irishstudio.com/brands
Remember when Irish Central bought World Irish (the dotbomb idea to have a Facebook for Irish people but without any clue about how to do it and technologically ignorant rubbish about building a web directory by people who had never built one which didn't even make it out of the starting gate.). Then again, the Irish Times decided to sell/lease ireland.com and lose the biggest Irish category killer domain name.

Some nice brands that could be appicised but the magazine market is a tough one.

Regards...jmcc
jmcc is offline  
02-11-2019, 19:34   #582
JTMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Just the print assets I believe. Brave move to double down on print at this stage.
Scale and economy of scale in the name of the game but scale will only give legacy old media print titles a slight extension in remaining life.

I bet kilcullen will lose his shirt on this gamble. He seems to be away with the fairies, as noted earlier in this thread, with his pie in the sky aspirations to target the SBP to a global audience. Also, his belief that these magazines will have a digital future is again away with the fairies, digital magazines, apart from a small number of exceptions are not selling.
JTMan is offline  
04-11-2019, 00:12   #583
Gekko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMan View Post
Scale and economy of scale in the name of the game but scale will only give legacy old media print titles a slight extension in remaining life.

I bet kilcullen will lose his shirt on this gamble. He seems to be away with the fairies, as noted earlier in this thread, with his pie in the sky aspirations to target the SBP to a global audience. Also, his belief that these magazines will have a digital future is again away with the fairies, digital magazines, apart from a small number of exceptions are not selling.
The SBP is going downhill fast as well
Gekko is offline  
05-11-2019, 13:02   #584
jmcc
Hackwatch
 
jmcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 4,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
The SBP is going downhill fast as well
Finding out that Ireland is a small market when it comes to niche digital publishing? Or just declining in terms of quality and reporting with more Op-Ed bloviating than reporting?

Regards...jmcc
jmcc is offline  
07-11-2019, 03:13   #585
Gekko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
Finding out that Ireland is a small market when it comes to niche digital publishing? Or just declining in terms of quality and reporting with more Op-Ed bloviating than reporting?

Regards...jmcc
The latter

The former true also, and latter will accelerate decline
Gekko is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet