Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions about the mercantile marine during the Emergency

• 28-10-2019 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

First off, could anyone recommend some reading material on Irish-flagged shipping during the Emergency? I'm aware of Frank Forde's book 'The Long Watch: World War II and the Irish Mercantile Marine'. Are there any others that would be worth a read?

I'm wondering a bit about the range of Irish-flagged vessels during this period. I know of the Lisbon Run and the Trans-Atlantic routes to North America; could Irish-flagged ships be spotted in any other waters during this era (e.g. the Med, West Africa, South America, etc.)?

Another question, how far out did the fishing fleets tend to operate? Were they mostly sticking to territorial waters, or did any range farther afield?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

acix wrote: »
    First off, could anyone recommend some reading material on Irish-flagged shipping during the Emergency? I'm aware of Frank Forde's book 'The Long Watch: World War II and the Irish Mercantile Marine'. Are there any others that would be worth a read?

I'm wondering a bit about the range of Irish-flagged vessels during this period. I know of the Lisbon Run and the Trans-Atlantic routes to North America; could Irish-flagged ships be spotted in any other waters during this era (e.g. the Med, West Africa, South America, etc.)?

Another question, how far out did the fishing fleets tend to operate? Were they mostly sticking to territorial waters, or did any range farther afield?

I wouldn't swear to it but I reckon the Irish fishing fleet would have been small boats, sticking largely to coastal waters...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Markcheese wrote: »
    I wouldn't swear to it but I reckon the Irish fishing fleet would have been small boats, sticking largely to coastal waters...

Relatively small wooden boats went very, very far out in the past, once diesel engines became available

My grandfather - who built commercial fishing boats - isn't around to ask any more but I'll check what my dad knows from what he was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 acix

Markcheese wrote: »

Could be, but it would be interesting to know either way...
    L1011 wrote: »
    Relatively small wooden boats went very, very far out in the past, once diesel engines became available

Maybe even moreso during this period. Irish vessels of all sorts were pushed to their limits during the Emergency. E.g. a lot of the ships making the Lisbon run were only small coasters, some with a freeboard of only 1 ft!
    L1011 wrote: »
    My grandfather - who built commercial fishing boats - isn't around to ask any more but I'll check what my dad knows from what he was told.

Cheers, would be interested to hear anything he might recall.

Advertisement