Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

iamtony wrote: »
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/4YM3CZJT2zSUXxqH7
    The bench in front of the pond was just a few scraps of sleepers and were in a bad way. This was my first venture into proper staining and lacquering. It's a bit sticky though anyone know why?

Stickiness can be caused by not wiping off all of the excess and by not waiting long enough between coats. I've fallen into that trap too; the home stretch rush!

It's a lovely little bench by the way - clean lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Stickiness can be caused by not wiping off all of the excess and by not waiting long enough between coats. I've fallen into that trap too; the home stretch rush!

It's a lovely little bench by the way - clean lines.
    Grand thanks would a few more coats done properly solve it or should I sand it back?
    Thanks I think it's nice and simple and it was a nice feeling to turn a few bits of scrap lying around into something usable.

iamtony wrote: »
    Grand thanks would a few more coats done properly solve it or should I sand it back?

Honestly hard to know without seeing it. A "squidgy" layer of finish will clog sandpaper pretty quick so sanding it back might be a painful task. Another option is to just sit it up somewhere dry, not in direct sunlight and not too humid for a couple of weeks to see if the finish will eventually harden.

If it's still sticky at that point, then a card/cabinet scraper might be the best option to bring it back to bare timber and go through the finishing process from scratch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what causes it to remain sticky? finish is too deep to cure correctly?

what causes it to remain sticky? finish is too deep to cure correctly?

Can't speak for iamtony's situation but that's what caused it for me when it happened (also on a bench coincidentally) a couple of years back.

I put on way too much oil on the first coat and didn't wipe it back enough before putting on the following coats and it didn't cure until I decided to just start over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

3uolQ54

83pjwua.jpg

ja4iL94.jpg

4D5OrMl.jpg

uQhd23O.jpg

kt3GAGo.jpg

zwdFF5r.jpg

Raised flower bed over last few weeks. Poor pic of finished product, but ya get the idea. Very enjoyable, took some amount of clay to fill. About 20-30 wheel barrows worth. Filled the bottom row with some old sticks to eat up some of the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

Super SUPER basic but fun way to spend a few hours. Going to line it and fill it with some potting compost and plants. Hope to make a few more and try out different designs. Was thinking of window boxes but making the "feet" as angled wedges almost with the aim of getting the box bit to be sitting totally flat. Anyone ever done that? any advice?

IMG_20190721_155736.jpg

Super SUPER basic but fun way to spend a few hours. Going to line it and fill it with some potting compost and plants. Hope to make a few more and try out different designs. Was thinking of window boxes but making the "feet" as angled wedges almost with the aim of getting the box bit to be sitting totally flat. Anyone ever done that? any advice?

IMG_20190721_155736.jpg
    window boxes generally go under the window screwed to the wall. If you were thinking on just resting them on the ledge without sticking them down somehow it would only take a bit of wind to knock them over once you've something growing.

Nicely made and I think people should post more simple stuff they are making here as it's easy to be intimidated looking at the pros with their fancy joints and everything:pac:

I tried to make a chess board using my 2x4s and a band saw. It didn't go well:D tablesaw bought the other day so I'll give it another go. I live the idea of making a chess board I can pass on to my daughter who plays chess with me.

bamayang wrote: »
    3uolQ54

83pjwua.jpg

ja4iL94.jpg

4D5OrMl.jpg

uQhd23O.jpg

kt3GAGo.jpg

zwdFF5r.jpg

Raised flower bed over last few weeks. Poor pic of finished product, but ya get the idea. Very enjoyable, took some amount of clay to fill. About 20-30 wheel barrows worth. Filled the bottom row with some old sticks to eat up some of the space.
    looks great, what did you use to cut the sleepers? I've yet to find a way to do it perfectly and I'm not skilled enough to flip it over and cut the other side without it looking terrible.

Just used a skill saw and flipped it to get at it from each side. The key in my opinion is a good square and marking only from 3 sides when marking the cut lines around the edges. If you mark from only 3 corners you minmise the risk of going wrong. Then just take your time with the saw, possibly clamp on a square edge if needs be.
    A lot of work in setting up the area and getting the first few in straight and square, the rest flew then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

Garden bench is finally done. I am very happy with the end results.

10093_20190727_093059.jpg

10093_20190727_093115.jpg

10093_20190727_093126.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Zebbedee

@brane.nikic87
    Super job on the bench and table.
    How did you cut the curve on the bench?

That’s great attention to detail, lovely job

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

Side curve is done by doing template on mdf then tracing it on a 1x4 planed timber, cutting it a bit bigger on bandsaw, and then aligning it with template again and tracing it with router to make it exactly the same on both sides.

Top recessed part is done by building a sled from mdf and then moving it to side 5-6mm each pass. It took me around 800 passes as I was taking 2-3mm away in each pass. `

10093_20190607_193517.jpg

10093_20190607_193532.jpg

10093_20190608_204015.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Hi All,
    The Brown sign fitted by the council for the cemetery on our farm has disappeared again. Since I had a nice bit of ash from surgery on a roadside tree I spent some time carving a new one. Fitted it yesterday.
    https://youtu.be/63k7dJUB3YE
    sideB.JPG

sideA.jpg

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

The little ones room was in need of some storage, so I stuck up the following shelving and peg board. Still needs some sanding and varnish to finish it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Been a while, side table made from oak. Pictures came out really dark for some reason..two more to go..

487377.jpg

487378.jpg

Lovely lines on that table! Great job.

This week I finished an odd little kitchen table, which came about through a combination of accident and necessity.

The embarrassing part is that when I Instagram'd the photo a professional woodworker in the US complimented the wood grain and I don't think he realised that the central portion is just cheapo melamine kitchen counter top :o

I'll be coming back to it later to make dedicated legs rather than the Lidl "Workmate" it's mounted on at the moment.

https://www.chillyspoon.com/blog/2019/5/10/making-a-kitchen-table-from-a-workbench-and-an-off-cut-of-kitchen-counter-top

487702.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Spent the last months worth of evenings and weekends making up some new beds for the kids. Biggest project to date, learned a lot, had fun! Defo will be doing something smaller next tho!

IMG-20190826-133048.jpg

IMG-20190826-133105.jpg

IMG-20190826-133116.jpg

IMG-20190826-133523.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Looks fantastic, the window is a really cool touch!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

has it been settled yet about who gets which bed?

certainly not me, but there doesn't seem a general chat thread here.

this is an utterly bananas guitar build:

the whole build process is documented at standard speed too in a series of videos, lest you have several hours to watch - the above was the first half of the complete build, uploaded yesterday, i guess there might be a couple of days wait for part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Finished this project months ago and have been meaning to put this up.

Was watching youtube videos and was loving the look of the barn door cabinets so said I’d try my hand at it.

uHovJXf.jpg

cd7nzLe.jpg

szHdU8r.jpg

I built the cabinet out of 18mm plywood and had 4x1 planed pine as the front of it.

The doors were made out of an old pallet with a scrap piece of 6mm ply for the centres.

The middle shelves are an old stair thread but I had to glue an additional section on to make it deep enough. There are individual shelves in all compartments and the height can be adjusted

I was looking to buy the barn door mechanism on line but it was really expensive so just bought the steel, wheels and bolts and put it together.

The top was a lot of work, there’s lots of imperfections in it that I see but I’m actually delighted how well it turned out. I made it out of old teak doors that had been left in the shed by the previous owner of my house. I bought a second hand thicknesser for the job but the wood was so hard you could only take a fraction off at a time or it would jam. Once they were all at the same thickness I cut them to random lengths, laid them out in a pattern I thought looked nice and glued them up.

I would have liked to paint the cabinet but my wife like the timber effect. I was hoping to hide a few mistakes under the paint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

This shelf seemed like a simple project
    • cut door in half
    • screw door back together
    • insert shelves
    • paint

Unfortunately i had only had a cheap laminate door to work with so when i cut it in half it lost all structural integrity. The shelves are what's primarily hold this together now but it works:)

[IMG][/img]jGU5DIC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

OAOB wrote: »
    • cut door in half
    • insert shelves
    • paint

Unfortunately i had only had a cheap laminate door to work with so when i cut it in half it lost all structural integrity. The shelves are what's primarily hold this together now but it works:)

[IMG][/img]jGU5DIC.jpg

Thats great!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Finished a nice simple kid's desk.

http://www.stochasticgeometry.ie/2019/10/27/done-6/

IMG_4043a.jpg

IMG_4042a.jpg

IMG_4057a.jpg

IMG_4067a.jpg

IMG_4064a.jpg

IMG_4060a.jpg

Only took a year and four months. Holy carp. I need a bigger shed...

Trying to level a kitchen table slab. Lot of sawdust. Using a fairly simple routing jig. Got a 25mm flattening router bit, flies through it.

Fair twist in it
    NX94rSq.jpg

After first pass
    yPilhMi.jpg

Little and often
    8cBLgek.jpg

Nearly down to flat
    00aCTCs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

OAOB wrote: »
    • cut door in half
    • insert shelves
    • paint

[IMG][/img]jGU5DIC.jpg

When you expose the 'eggbox' interior of a laminate door just glue in a batten between the two outer layers and the strength of the door will return . It does need a snug fit so a thicknesser machine is handy ! I use this technique for making thick shelving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Wedding present for herself.
    First time I’ve used a scroll saw. :)

Advertisement